Ithaca, NY - Oct. 2013

Author
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
2013/10/29 10:17:52 (permalink)

Ithaca, NY - Oct. 2013

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Ithaca, NY to visit our son at "Parent's Weekend" at Ithaca College. I had posted in "Where Should I Eat" asking for restaurant suggestions in Ithaca. While we didn't have a chance to try the suggested restaurants, we did find a couple of good , reasonably priced eateries.
On Sat. evening we dined (at my son's suggestion) at Asian Cuisine:  http://ithaca-restaurants.com/asia-cuisine/. It is a Korean-run restaurant with a huge menu of Korean, Chinese, and other asian food. I had the sesame chicken, my wife had vegetable dumplings, and my son had the "Ithaca Roll" , a "deep fried "sushi with crab. Sorry for not taking pictures of the dishes, but everything was delicious and very reasonably priced. Dinner for three including drinks & tip came to just over $50.  
The next day we had brunch at Hal's Deli:   http://ithaca-restaurants.com/hals-delicatessen/. A cozy, friendly, "old school" deli, the food was very good. My wife ordered the breakfast special of eggs, sausage and potato pancakes. My son ordered the "Bomber"(Ithaca College's nickname is the Bombers) a huge sandwich with corned beef, turkey, swiss cheese & slaw. I ordered what I always order at a deli, a pastrami on rye with swiss & deli mustard. My son and I split a side order of the potato pancakes.
Yesterday, on the way out of town , we stopped by College Town Bagels:http://collegetownbagels.com/ in down town Ithaca. Nothing too special here, my wife and I both ordered a bagel w/cream cheese, coffee and juice. The bagels were really good, and they don't scrimp on the cream cheese. The have a huge menu of bagels, sandwiches, soups, coffees, teas. It's a typical "college-style bagel shop with good quality food. I'm sure we will come back on our next trip to Ithaca and try some more of the menu.  
post edited by Davebassman - 2013/10/29 10:35:21

3 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re:Ithaca, NY - Oct. 2013 2013/10/30 12:00:37 (permalink)
    Sounds like you had a good visit, Dave.  How much did he hit you up for while you were there?

I'd like Hal's Bomber if the slaw's on the side.  Is it, or is it part of the sandwich itself?
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re:Ithaca, NY - Oct. 2013 2013/10/31 10:02:18 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Sounds like you had a good visit, Dave.  How much did he hit you up for while you were there?

I'd like Hal's Bomber if the slaw's on the side.  Is it, or is it part of the sandwich itself?

I think you can ask for the slaw as a side or have it on the sandwich. Everything we ordered there was good. The pastrami was a bit lean. I prefer more fat in my pastrami, but very tasty nonetheless. The potato pancakes 'stole the show"!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    Re:Ithaca, NY - Oct. 2013 2013/10/31 10:36:03 (permalink)
    Oh, I think I would have liked that bomber!  Thanks for the report.  Next time in town, don't forget the Cornell Dairy Bar.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1