It's Paris France and non Paris Texas

Author
Emilyparis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
2004/09/13 14:01:09 (permalink)

It's Paris France and non Paris Texas

Hi,

I signed up because it has been 6 years since I have been back to the States and I just love this site. Makes me so nostalgic for everything; from Blue Seal Kielbasa bought at Falls Provision in Chicopee MA with Domin's horseradish, of course, Millie's pierogis, the best pizza I ever ate somewhere in NJ (near Asbury Park, if I recall correctly) Buffalo wings, fried clams, Maine lobsters and and...never got farther south than North Carolina but I will be in Florida in November!!

Anyway, I am surely not the only person from abroad to join this site so why is there no country box? I put Paris Texas because a state was required but really it is Paris France.

tks

Emily in Paris

17 Replies Related Threads

fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/13 14:24:16 (permalink)
    Hi Emily! Welcome!
    I don't know why there's no country sign up designation, but you're here.
    Look around at the forums and tell us about Roadfood that you've experienced in France, or anywhere else.

Frank
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6811
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/13 14:59:47 (permalink)
    Bienvenue Emily! I know the feeling, having spent 7 years in France. I missed simple things like BBQ ribs, corn on the cob, okra, fish, lobster, etc. Now that I haven't been back to France in the past 5 years I miss a good ripe camembert,foie gras, pintade, lapin au pruneaux, ris de veau and many other things I can't get here in Alaska!
    This is a great forum. Every time we travel to the Lower 48 we get great tips from other Roadfooders on where to eat and we haven't been disappointed!
    Which arrondissement are you in?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13495
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/13 20:10:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Bienvenue Emily! I know the feeling, having spent 7 years in France. I missed simple things like BBQ ribs, corn on the cob, okra, fish, lobster, etc. Now that I haven't been back to France in the past 5 years I miss a good ripe camembert,foie gras, pintade, lapin au pruneaux, ris de veau and many other things I can't get here in Alaska!
    This is a great forum. Every time we travel to the Lower 48 we get great tips from other Roadfooders on where to eat and we haven't been disappointed!
    Which arrondissement are you in?

Why is it that Lleechef uses words that the Sundancer cannot spell or pronounce. I am sure that they mean something very elegant and tasty. It is just I have no idea what they mean or imply. When it gets past cigarette, hippopotamus or grits, I just do not understand the definition. I think it sounds good except I just ain't sure what it means.

I wish I had the training that Lleechef had but even if I had, I am not sure i would ever got past East Tennessee cooking.

Lleechef, do not be offended by my comments, it just that this poor ole East Tennessean does not understand some of your fine French language.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/13 20:39:07 (permalink)
    Sundancer, the reason we say "beef" instead of "cattle," "pork" instead of "swine" and "poultry" instead of "fowl" is the result of the Norman invasion of Anglo-Saxon Britain and how that changed word usage in English. If you have trouble pronouncing French terms, lleechef or many other people here will be happy to help you. Just ask. Please also remember some of us are of French ancestry. May I suggest calling the dish "escargots bourgignon" takes diners' attention away from the garden pest? Merde, now I'm hungry too!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13495
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/13 20:50:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Sundancer, the reason we say "beef" instead of "cattle," "pork" instead of "swine" and "poultry" instead of "fowl" is the result of the Norman invasion of Anglo-Saxon Britain and how that changed word usage in English. If you have trouble pronouncing French terms, lleechef or many other people here will be happy to help you. Just ask. Please also remember some of us are of French ancestry. May I suggest calling the dish "escargots bourgignon" takes diners' attention away from the garden pest? Merde, now I'm hungry too!

Sir Michael: No offense to you or any other person of French heritage. I was trying to make light of Lleechef's usage of words that was unknown to people of East Tennessee heritage.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/13 23:12:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Emilyparis

Hi,

I signed up because it has been 6 years since I have been back to the States and I just love this site. Makes me so nostalgic for everything; from Blue Seal Kielbasa bought at Falls Provision in Chicopee MA with Domin's horseradish, of course, Millie's pierogis, the best pizza I ever ate somewhere in NJ (near Asbury Park, if I recall correctly) Buffalo wings, fried clams, Maine lobsters and and...never got farther south than North Carolina but I will be in Florida in November!!

Anyway, I am surely not the only person from abroad to join this site so why is there no country box? I put Paris Texas because a state was required but really it is Paris France.

tks

Emily in Paris

Maybe you can contribute to another recent tread on this site. I was lamenting that street-side crepes in NYC are sold on paper plates, with plastic forks. I mentioned that when I lived in Paris (France) more than 20 years ago, they were folded in a way that made it possible to eat them while walking down the street. Do I recall correctly that it was wax paper of some sort?

I lived in the 16th when I was a student, by the way, near the Alexandre Dumas metro. Not the most alluring area for a college student, but it's what I could afford. Plus, it put me 10 minutes from Pere Lachaise, which I enjoyed.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/14 03:11:31 (permalink)
    Sorry, Sundancer, I will translate the above:
    Bienvenue is "Welcome"!
    camembert is a cheese that is available here, but not in it's purest form because in France it's made with RAW cow's milk which is against the law here, as you well know.
    Foie gras is a great French delicacy, the best comes from the region of Perigord, where they force feed ducks and geese with corn pellets (PETA people, don't stone me on this one, I didn't invent it, and the animals actually LINE UP and LIKE IT!) Whew. That being said, foie gras is the liver of these ducks and geese which are enlarged, due to the extensive feeding and are quite fat.....thus the name "foie gras", fat liver.
    A Pintade is a Guinea Hen which I cannot find in any grocery store, so I miss it.
    Lapin au pruneaux is a dish my best friend's mother (in North of France) makes exquisitely....freshly killed rabbit, stewed in red wine, onions, garlic and prunes. Sounds crazy but it's one of my most favorite dishes.
    Ris de veau is veal sweetbreads which is the thymus gland of the calf which disappears when it reaches maturity. This organ meat takes several days to prepare, washing, rinsing, soaking, blanching, put under weight, then floured and fried and added to morel mushrooms or root vegetables to braise gently. The work is definatly worth the end result.
    Other things I miss eating are: wild boar, hare, woodcock, grouse, (dare I say it?) horsemeat, Maroilles, fromage gras, and on and on.
    Emilyparis
    Junior Burger
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/14 04:27:29 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the welcome.

lleechef, I am in the 19th arrondisement near the Buttes Chaumont and your mention of Alaska brought back even more memories. My mom's sister lived there and when I was a kid we used to get good stuff like moose and Alaskan king crab shipped all the way to MA on dry ice! It was so exotic for us, we saved the king crab shell forever.

Spudnut, you have given me a good idea, I will go and get a crepe for lunch today (I even brought my camera to work so that I will be able to take a photo).

Now I must go and post on the pupu platter thread, boy do I miss those...
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/14 09:15:10 (permalink)
    Emily,

I'll be making my first ever visit to Paris in December. Any "don't miss" roadfood I should be looking for. Would love some other good eatin' tips as well. Thanks.

Howard in Baltimore
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/14 09:59:19 (permalink)
    Emily: I would gladly trade you a Blue Seal kielbasa for true saucisson a l'ail with freshly made harissa.
    Emilyparis
    Junior Burger
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/14 10:05:55 (permalink)
    Hi signman

As far as real roadfood like generous portions, good quality, not overly fancy and not too expensive (hope I have understood the idea correctly) Paris is not the ideal spot if you are looking for traditional French food.

If you will be going out to the flea market in Clignacourt, you must have mussels and fries because that is traditional flea market food. You should definitely try crepes as well. There is a good restaurant called l'Estaminet on rue Oberkampf in the 11th but they won't take reservations. The whole Oberkampf area is full of restaurants and bars that are fairly young, not too touristy and not too upscale but still not what an American would consider as good value for money.

Other than that, I will look through my stuff at home tonight, check with kids, friends etc. and perhaps it would be good to post a new thread somewhere.

For ethnic stuff I can give you lots of ideas: no one should miss the Marché Dejean in the 18th and the surrounding streets where there are tons of little African places. My favorite Vietnamese place in Belleville is Da Lat always fresh and open late.

Greek sandwiches near the place de la contrescarpe but I will have to check on the name, the Indian restaurants in passage Brady where they are owned by Pakistanis all the way up to La Chapelle where the influence is from Southern India, and I could go on all day. I tend to eat in these places when I go out mainly because of price.

So if you can give me a general area and/or general interests plus budget I will get back to you further.

Of course there is always the food court under the Louvre museum (they call it the Foodagora!!) I go there when I am nostalgic for the Holyoke Mall.

Emily

and ps to spudnut: I got my lunchtime crepe on a plastic plate covered in foil so no picture today, but I will get one near the park this weekend and I am sure it will be folded with paper around it
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/14 10:18:01 (permalink)
    Do you know Rue Mouffetard in the 5th arrondissment? There's no White Hut, but it's an eater's paradise nonetheless.
    Emilyparis
    Junior Burger
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/14 10:21:42 (permalink)
    Ok Grampy it's a deal!

and if Sundancer is reading this

Saucisson à l'ail is Sausage made with garlic and

Harissa is a north African condiment made from hot peppers that you mix with broth to spice up your couscous.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/15 02:02:55 (permalink)
    I used to take a tube of harissa with me to every couscous dinner I went to. Love the stuff!
    Saucisson has a distant cousin which is the Rosette de Lyon......I fed this to Mitterand once, he LOVED it.
    I lived in St.Mande, next to the Bois de Vincennes.
    Emilyparis
    Junior Burger
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/15 13:43:45 (permalink)
    St Mande is about 10 minutes from me by metro. Were you here when all the newspapers were printing articles about Chirac and his favorite dish "Tête de veau" (Veal's head)?

Anyway, I'm impressed. Cooking for Mitterand, v v nice!!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/15 17:48:16 (permalink)
    Welcome Emily from Gay Paree....enjoy your posts!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: It's Paris France and non Paris Texas 2004/09/15 23:21:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Emilyparis

St Mande is about 10 minutes from me by metro. Were you here when all the newspapers were printing articles about Chirac and his favorite dish "Tête de veau" (Veal's head)?

Anyway, I'm impressed. Cooking for Mitterand, v v nice!!

No, Emily, I missed the articles about Chirac and his Tete de Veau.....however, Mitterand was accused of serving Pot au Feu to dignataries! Quelle horreur!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1