Hot!It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4056
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 12:22:44 (permalink)
Nature created Pittsburgh.

It is sited at the confluence of two mighty rivers, forming another which is by far the greatest tributary to the Mississippi.

Beneath lay the the richest coal vein yet discovered, the sweetest petroleum ever produced, and now - recently discovered - the Marcellus Shale.

Infinitely more than any mere "President of the United tates of America", Carnegie, Westinghouse, and Tesla built this Nation which cast Hitler and Stalin into the ash-heap of history.

As his fellow Scot, Adam Smith, observed a century before he was born Andrew Carnegie - intending only his own gain - was led as if by an invisible hand to promote ends which were no part of his intention.

Truly, it was no part of Carnegie's intention to have Pittsburgh's Scot/Protestant Irish population augmented by "Bo-Hunks, Frogs, Micks, Dagos, Polacks, and Greeks".

In that unintended consequence of his selfish greed, not even considering two World Wars won or - a petty example, the Golden Gate being bridged - Carnegie's endeavors made today's Pittsburgh - the city of truly decent citizens. 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/11/27 12:31:05
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10199
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 12:35:20 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Nature created Pittsburgh.

It is sited at the confluence of two mighty rivers, forming another which is by far the greatest tributary to the Mississippi.

Beneath lay the the richest coal vein yet discovered, the sweetest petroleum ever produced, and now - recently discovered - the Marcellus Shale.

Infinitely more than any mere "President of the United tates of America", Carnegie, Westinghouse, and Tesla built this Nation which cast Hitler and Stalin into the ash-heap of history.

As his fellow Scot, Adam Smith, observed a century before he was born Andrew Carnegie - intending only his own gain - was led as if an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.

Truly, it was no part of Carnegie's intention to have Pittsburgh's Scot/Protestant Irish population augmented by "Bo-Hunks, Frogs, Micks, Dagos, Polacks, and Greeks".

In that unintended consequence of his selfish greed, not even considering two World Wars won or - a petty example, the Golden Gate being bridged - Carnegie's endeavors made today's Pittsburgh. 

Along with his buddy, Andrew Mellon., A Pittsburgh Native and Graduate of Univ. of Pittsburgh. 
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6340
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 13:01:04 (permalink)
Scottsdale, Orlando and compromise on Dallas? You both lost.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 14:03:24 (permalink)
Glenn1234

I'm not speaking for Pittsburgh, but a few on this list, created by the Brits, are quite dubious choices.
Perhaps using available dental care as an additional parameter would drastically change the results.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 17:26:36 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

1bbqboy

Foodbme

1bbqboy

lleechef

1bbqboy

Clean dry and safe. None of those things are appealing to me.

So you like to live where it's dirty, wet and unsafe.  Interesting.

I lived in Scottsdale for 5 years. Seemed like a lifetime.
Incredibly boring. And hot. Too hot and dry. And brown.
I gotta have green. 
Very brown.

Don't know what century you lived here but Scottsdale is Green & Lush and a Happenin' place.
Over 60 Golf Courses with real Grass & Trees
Lotsa beautiful people livin' "La Vida Loca!"
More Plastic Surgeons per capita than anywhere on earth except Beverly Hills!
And you can see their handy work all over town!
You must have been living in a Cave!

you unintentionally(or intentionally maybe) summed up exactly what I meant.
Cut upon old dowagers playing golf on former desert. Sad stuff.

In 2004 Mrs. Metro, a 'desert girl' by birth, expressed a desire to move to "someplace warmer" than our residence in McLean, VA.  I suggested a suburb of Orlando; she wanted Scottsdale.  So, here we are in Dallas - a compromise. 

We visited Scottsdale and spent two weeks there, here; it was truly wondrful for a vacation.  In our travels about looking for a home ... well I had truly to laugh at "Paradise Valley" being called that.  Like 1bbqboy I found that area to be too BROWN

For the first and only time I absolutely refused my beloved wife's desire.

When (sadly, not if"it hits the fan" the last place I'd wish to be is Phoenix:  dust to dust, ashes to ashes; despite its good people this great city exists solely by the acts of man, not nature. 

You do realize the beaurtiful pictures of the Phoenician contradict everything you just wrote, don't you?
There's nothing "Natural" about Dallas as I recall except hot, humid Summers. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18343
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 17:33:40 (permalink)
I'd say those pictures prove the dry, dusty, brown comments, as well as the manmade comment. In my lifetime doctors used to recommend that people with breathing problems move to Arizona for the dry air devoid of the pollens, etc. of the North, South and East. Now man has given Phoenix (and Scottsdale) all the benefits of pollen-laden, polluted air.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 19:05:50 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I'd say those pictures prove the dry, dusty, brown comments, as well as the manmade comment. In my lifetime doctors used to recommend that people with breathing problems move to Arizona for the dry air devoid of the pollens, etc. of the North, South and East. Now man has given Phoenix (and Scottsdale) all the benefits of pollen-laden, polluted air.

Not to mention "the desert flu".
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 19:12:21 (permalink)
I've never heard of desert flu. What's that?
Whoops! Never mind. I looked it up. Valley Fever.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2013/11/27 19:13:55
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 19:44:03 (permalink)
Davydd

Scottsdale, Orlando and compromise on Dallas? You both lost.

Didn't say we're living in Heaven. 

But, there are a slew of tangible reasons why Collin County, TX seems always to have at least one of its cities (McKinney, Plano, Frisco, Allen) on every "10 Best Places to Live" list.

That said, I still pine for Pittsburgh.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 20:06:58 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I've never heard of desert flu. What's that?
Whoops! Never mind. I looked it up. Valley Fever.

My dear wife says that even her parents' new compound, built with the very best of Western architecture and technology, still is penetrated by these

Viruses (viri) live almost forever. 

Why do you suppose we put Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins into quarantine upon their return to Earth?
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/11/27 20:10:45
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 20:11:23 (permalink)
You mean they were really in the Arizona desert?

FYI: The these link is WIKI Collin County
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 20:22:35 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

You mean they were really in the Arizona desert?

FYI: The these link is WIKI Collin County

I fixed that. 

Click again.

Answering the unasked: Riyadh.

The astounding, in most ways truly wonderful, development of Greater Phoenix has disturbed earth not moved prior for millions of years - kind of like land on the Moon. 

More live there presently than even Greater Detroit.

But, Phonecians, would you please give the "Cardinals" name back to St. Louis? 

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/11/27 20:36:51
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2365
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 20:23:20 (permalink)
Now all they need is a football team...............
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 20:44:32 (permalink)
pnwchef

The PNW is having a great year in that regard. 

Enjoy!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 21:16:20 (permalink)
Ah, Riyadh.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/28 12:12:28 (permalink)
Foodbme

You do realize the beaurtiful pictures of the Phoenician contradict everything you just wrote, don't you?
There's nothing "Natural" about Dallas as I recall except hot, humid Summers. 

You are correct about the hot.  Not so much about the humid.  Don't confuse us with that little, smelly town 300 miles South of us: Houston.

But your comment about Dallas not being "natural" is true.  The great cities of the East - Portland South to Charleston all have magnificent harbors.  Of the inland cities God Himself Commanded Pittsburgh, Chicago, and St. Louis.

Lacking rivers and harbors, Dallas - like Atlanta - possesses location and is a man-made transportation hub: rail, roads, & air.  The roads here are many and magnificent, running 70 - 80 mph at all hours.  The "big airport" is a marvel ...  yada, yada, yada ...

The bottom line is that the Metroplex sits atop a massive aquifer and has hundreds of square miles of man-made lakes.  Yet, there is nowhere in Greater Phoenix where I could not be able to hook a #2 iron into desert.   
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/11/28 12:18:14
pnwchef
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/28 12:23:02 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

pnwchef

Enjoy!

Jim, The Seahawks are doing great, fun to watch. On the other hand the Mariners are hard to watch............Seattle is a fun town to go see a football game, the noise gives you goose bumps..............
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/28 16:31:29 (permalink)
pnwchef

MetroplexJim

pnwchef

Enjoy!

Jim, The Seahawks are doing great, fun to watch. On the other hand the Mariners are hard to watch............Seattle is a fun town to go see a football game, the noise gives you goose bumps..............

And, I don't think the Steelers will be raining on your parade this year!
We tried to give the Mariners a huge gift in Justin Smoak, a kid with "Chris Davis potential".
BTW:  did you hear where Prince Fielder landed?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/28 18:50:25 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Ah, Riyadh.
Isn't that a Donnie Iris song?
pnwchef
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/28 18:59:02 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

pnwchef

MetroplexJim

pnwchef

Enjoy!

And, I don't think the Steelers will be raining on your parade this year!
We tried to give the Mariners a huge gift in Justin Smoak, a kid with "Chris Davis potential".
BTW:  did you hear where Prince Fielder landed?

Jim, Fielder will be a senior citizen before the Mariners play 500 ball. The Seahawks will be trying to break the record for noise level on Monday night.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/28 21:54:34 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Michael Hoffman

Ah, Riyadh.

I don't even know what a Donnie Iris is, let alone whether it's a song.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/28 22:39:34 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

ScreamingChicken

Michael Hoffman

Ah, Riyadh.

I don't even know what a Donnie Iris is, let alone whether it's a song.

Donny Iris is a musician from Pittsburgh. He is 70 years old. His music is appreciated by folks who are older than this middle aged guy (meaning me) meaning his music tends to be popular with old folks.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/29 11:21:52 (permalink)
Never heard of the whippersnapper.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/29 15:33:22 (permalink)
Yet, there is nowhere in Greater Phoenix where I could not be able to hook a #2 iron into desert.   
<message edited by MetroplexJim on 1 day and 3 hrs. ago>
Metro Jim,
There are plenty of Beautiful Golf Courses surrounded by beautiful homes with beautiful flora and fauna
that would prevent your 2 iron shot from going into the desert but not through their Patio Door Window!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/29 18:11:52 (permalink)
Foodbme

Yet, there is nowhere in Greater Phoenix where I could not be able to hook a #2 iron into desert.   
<message edited by MetroplexJim on 1 day and 3 hrs. ago>
Metro Jim,
There are plenty of Beautiful Golf Courses surrounded by beautiful homes with beautiful flora and fauna
that would prevent your 2 iron shot from going into the desert but not through their Patio Door Window!

Jim, I think Scottsdale is a great place; in fact, just the place to be November - March.  And, I really enjoy the food and shopping there.  And, as a tourist, I can see beauty there. But, it is brown.  Something in my psyche just can't "do" brown for anything more than an enjoyable visit.  The prospect of being surrounded by it on a permanent basis just "creeps" me.  Chacun a son gout

BTW: the "greenest" course of the many there I have played is also one of the oldest: McCormick Ranch.  For the remainder, desert (or a swimming pool) is always in easy reach of a 2 iron struck with an early release.

The last thing I want to worry about is a tenuous water supply.

Edit for a golf tip:  when you're in a fairway bunker (or an Arizona waste area) just focus your eyes on the very top of the ball and you'll never hit it fat.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/11/29 18:21:00
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/29 20:34:44 (permalink)
I've only played one course in Scottsdale and that was Camelback in a November maybe a dozen years ago. I was rather disappointed. It was hard surface and brown and you didn't have to slice to be in the desert. That was the fairways.
post edited by Davydd - 2013/11/29 20:36:27
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/29 22:43:46 (permalink)
Davydd

I've only played one course in Scottsdale and that was Camelback in a November maybe a dozen years ago. I was rather disappointed. It was hard surface and brown and you didn't have to slice to be in the desert. That was the fairways.

Yes, there are courses called Desert Courses that combine the beauty of the Desert along with some lush fairways. If you hit a lousy shot you'll wind up in Da Desert! However can you find a course, other than Augusta more beautiful than this one on an Indian Reservation?
http://wekopa.com/
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/30 09:31:17 (permalink)
Foodbme

Davydd

Yes, there are courses called Desert Courses that combine the beauty of the Desert along with some lush fairways. If you hit a lousy shot you'll wind up in Da Desert! However can you find a course, other than Augusta more beautiful than this one on an Indian Reservation?

Uh, yes.  When, e.g., Johnny Miller's career is discussed his one win at Oakmont is the primary subject almost to the exclusion of his zillion wins in the "desert".

Indeed, it is fun to play courses like Wekopa:  bomb it and find it, then "target" a 1/2+ acre sized green where grain is the only subtlety and its bunkers are mere decor. 

Give me the great tree-lined cathedrals of the East designed by Ross, Fownes, or Tillinghast for a real test of the game.  I'll guaran-damn-tee you a single digit desert player is incapable of breaking 100 on their first try from the Member's tees at one of those. 

Edit:  And IMHO, beauty-wise, comparing a desert course to one of those is like comparing a Miata to a Bentley Azure.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/11/30 09:35:38
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/30 11:14:35 (permalink)
Foodbme

Davydd

I'll be near here next May in southern Indiana and just may have to think about taking up golf again. I gave away my ancient golf clubs some time ago.

http://www.frenchlick.com/golf/petedye
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1