Hot!It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
2013/11/25 19:29:44 (permalink)

It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US

I figure the Pittsburgh natives will love this one... 

It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US (it even beats Honolulu)

58 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7022
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/25 20:10:22 (permalink)
    AWESOME!!!! 
    I love the Burgh and the Yinzers!!  It wasn't always so great.  It used to be dirty, smoky and surrounded by steel mills when I was a kid.  When my mother worked downtown as a legal stenographer the lawyers would bring an extra white shirt in their briefcases because after lunch out, they would return covered with soot.  Not any more!  Way to go Pittsburgh!!! 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/25 20:14:08 (permalink)
    How could a city with Primanti Brothers, Wholey's, Pierogis Plus and my grandson not be No. 1.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/25 21:34:33 (permalink)
    Pittsburgh has about 450 bridges.  At one time, there were 14 inclines.  Only two are operational now, the Duquesne Incline and the Monongahela Incline.  They both take you to the top of Mt. Washington where there is a spectacular view of the city, Point Park (where Ft. Pitt was located) and the three rivers.  A baseball game at PNC park also offers a beautiful view of the city. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/25 22:14:27 (permalink)
    While I Applaud and am happy for Pittsburgh, I must Question the rest of the list.
    DETROIT # 7??????????????????????????? #7????????????????
    4 High Crime Cities, Detroit, Miami, Washington DC, Chicago, on the US list???????
    DETROIT beats out Phoenix?????????????????
    The Daily Mail is a British Rag. 8 out of 10 of the most livable cities in the world are Former British Colonies? Any Bias Here?????????
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/25 22:25:24 (permalink)

I'm not speaking for Pittsburgh, but a few on this list, created by the Brits, are quite dubious choices.    Detroit .... yes DETROIT ... is #7 in the United States.  ... Perhaps, as an "adventure travel" destination. 

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/25 22:27:04 (permalink)

Oops.  Looks like Foodbme beat me to the punch. 

Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/25 22:34:59 (permalink)
    You guys are not supposed to question a gift horse.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/25 22:58:15 (permalink)
    lleechef

Pittsburgh has about 450 bridges.  At one time, there were 14 inclines.  Only two are operational now, the Duquesne Incline and the Monongahela Incline.  They both take you to the top of Mt. Washington where there is a spectacular view of the city, Point Park (where Ft. Pitt was located) and the three rivers.  A baseball game at PNC park also offers a beautiful view of the city. 

I've ridden both inclines, been to the Andy Warhol Museum, been in all the unique classrooms in the Cathedral of Learning, toured the Frick Mansion, had a brew at the Church Brew Works, kayaked on the Allegheny River,  toured the Calvary Methodist Church with its Tiffany windows, and have been up and down the Strip. I got a private tour of Pittsburgh one year in one of several visits when both my daughter and son coincidentally ended up living in Pittsburgh. Now daughter is in Washington DC (N. VA) and son in La Crosse, WI.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4205
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 07:02:03 (permalink)
    That's not news.  The whole world knows "Pitt is it!".

But, why Detroit is on the list and DFW is not is a bit of a puzzlement.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 11:07:33 (permalink)
    Davydd
    You have probably seen more of Pittsburgh than most Yinzers which is usually the case when one is a visitor and not a resident.  I know for sure I've eaten at more restaurants in NOLA than in downtown Pittsburgh!  I wouldn't want to live there, though!  Every time we leave The Strip and head back to Columbus I sigh and think, "Geeze, I sure do miss living near the Burgh."
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 14:38:26 (permalink)
    That list is headed towards 3 years old. Personally, I don't think I could live in a big city any more. I've got mountains, ocean, and culture out my front door with plenty  of delicious food and drink all around.
    I'm blessed.
    post edited by 1bbqboy - 2013/11/26 14:39:28
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7905
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 15:20:32 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

That list is headed towards 3 years old. Personally, I don't think I could live in a big city any more. I've got mountains, ocean, and culture out my front door with plenty  of delicious food and drink all around.
    I'm blessed.

That may be for you, however that horrific horrible  skewered ratio of guys to girls in the Pacific NW left me visbily traumatized......I've left......I'm blessed.....

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10418
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 17:03:32 (permalink)
    Detroit certainly has it's issues, but it is still a great town. I love visiting!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 17:19:50 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Detroit certainly has it's issues, but it is still a great town. I love visiting!

Especially Dearborn.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 17:43:33 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

1bbqboy

I'm blessed.

That may be for you, however that horrific horrible  skewered ratio of guys to girls in the Pacific NW left me visbily traumatized......I've left......I'm blessed.....

We've got no lack of women in Oregon. Of  course, most of em don't shave, so maybe that's what you meant. :)
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 17:51:39 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

True.

Greater Detroit still has nearly twice the population of Greater Pittsburgh; unfortunately, the central city has become the hole in the donut instead of the beating heart of the area. 

Pittsburgh's downtown is vibrant, clean, safe, friendly, and wonderfully walkable.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 17:54:15 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

wanderingjew

1bbqboy

I'm blessed.

We've got no lack of women in Oregon. Of  course, most of em don't shave, so maybe that's what you meant. :)

Not to sidetrack the initial topic of this thread, but I completely disagree with you about Oregon- it's just as bad... I  know, I was there- lets leave it at that.

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 18:27:33 (permalink)
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 19:22:54 (permalink)
    I've lived in a lot of cities in the US.  For me, the two best are Pittsburgh and Anchorage.  But in all fairness, Pittsburgh knocks Anchorage off the map for health care.
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 535
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 21:40:55 (permalink)
    Foodbme

While I Applaud and am happy for Pittsburgh, I must Question the rest of the list.
    DETROIT # 7??????????????????????????? #7????????????????
    4 High Crime Cities, Detroit, Miami, Washington DC, Chicago, on the US list???????
    DETROIT beats out Phoenix?????????????????
    The Daily Mail is a British Rag. 8 out of 10 of the most livable cities in the world are Former British Colonies? Any Bias Here?????????

This. I'm glad you said it.

And I really like Pittsburgh. Been there twice and had a blast -- at least I'm told I did -- both times.

Phoenix definitely should be on the list. Clean, dry, safe.

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 21:54:11 (permalink)
    Clean dry and safe. None of those things are appealing to me.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 23:00:47 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

So you like to live where it's dirty, wet and unsafe.  Interesting.

Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/26 23:15:21 (permalink)
    Phoenix has good shuffleboard.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 00:16:20 (permalink)
    lleechef

1bbqboy

I lived in Scottsdale for 5 years. Seemed like a lifetime.
    Incredibly boring. And hot. Too hot and dry. And brown.
    I gotta have green. 
    Very brown.
    post edited by 1bbqboy - 2013/11/27 00:18:16
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 01:51:28 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

lleechef

1bbqboy

I gotta have green. 
    Very brown.

Don't know what century you lived here but Scottsdale is Green & Lush and a Happenin' place.
    Over 60 Golf Courses with real Grass & Trees
    Lotsa beautiful people livin' "La Vida Loca!"
    More Plastic Surgeons per capita than anywhere on earth except Beverly Hills!
    And you can see their handy work all over town!
    You must have been living in a Cave!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 02:42:21 (permalink)
    Foodbme

1bbqboy

lleechef

1bbqboy

I gotta have green. 
    Very brown.

Don't know what century you lived here but Scottsdale is Green & Lush and a Happenin' place.

you unintentionally(or intentionally maybe) summed up exactly what I meant.
    Cut upon old dowagers playing golf on former desert. Sad stuff.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 08:27:23 (permalink)
    I'll still take the Northeast with its harsh winters...I  spent 5 years in Pittsburgh and would have stayed had there been a large body of water within a half hour drive (Ocean, Gulf or Great Lake would do)

I still have this dream about retiring to Tahoe 15-20 years down the road... but that's all it is right now....a dream...
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 11:00:30 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

Foodbme

1bbqboy

lleechef

1bbqboy

I gotta have green. 
    Very brown.

you unintentionally(or intentionally maybe) summed up exactly what I meant.
    Cut upon old dowagers playing golf on former desert. Sad stuff.

In 2004 Mrs. Metro, a 'desert girl' by birth, expressed a desire to move to "someplace warmer" than our residence in McLean, VA.  I suggested a suburb of Orlando; she wanted Scottsdale.  So, here we are in Dallas - a compromise. 

We visited Scottsdale and spent two weeks there, here; it was truly wondrful for a vacation.  In our travels about looking for a home ... well I had truly to laugh at "Paradise Valley" being called that.  Like 1bbqboy I found that area to be too BROWN

For the first and only time I absolutely refused my beloved wife's desire.

When (sadly, not if"it hits the fan" the last place I'd wish to be is Phoenix:  dust to dust, ashes to ashes; despite its good people this great city exists solely by the acts of man, not nature. 
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:It's official: Pittsburgh is the best place to live in US 2013/11/27 11:35:51 (permalink)
    wj
    I loved the 12 years I spent in Boston......except the traffic and the rude people!  I lived right on Boston Harbor and it was a hell of a lot colder there than Anchorage.  But in the summer all I had to do was cross the street and my feet were in the sand and that was not too shabby!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1