I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/12/02 17:34:35 (permalink)

I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine

For the last 5 years, my wife and I have been puzzeled by our 10 mag a year delivery of the Magazine "Seventeen". Our only child is 23, she has zero interest in it and hasen't since she turned 18. We have been thinking why are these mags still being sent to us, I don't remember ever subscribing to it ever. Today I found out, my monthly credit card bill had a charge for $31.00 from Seventeen. I called them, not possible to get a human on the line, in any case, they have been charging a yearly subscrition fee without my permission. I called the credit cadr company, they reversed the charge, and blocked Seventeen from my account. I simply can't believe they were able to do this for so long as I always review my different cards monthly statements. It's amazing how many phony charges I catch. Now on Monday I'm going after the last 5 years charges, a fools errand perhaps, but what the hell, I'll drive them crazy till I get satisfaction. Anyone else have any similar problems?

11 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/02 18:37:59 (permalink)
    Many things you subscribe to have an automatic renewal clause in fine print in the original contract that says you accept the terms unless you specify otherwise. Especially magazines.
     The Roadfood Insider Subscription is one of them!.
    Legally, they gotcha! You will need to become a GIANT Pain in the A## to get any relief. 
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/02 23:17:00 (permalink)
    Yep, if I see an auto renewal clause I don't sign up.
    mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/04 15:33:15 (permalink)
    I am getting 3 mystery magazines each month: Latina (I am Scot-Irish), Parents (my youngest is 41) and Shape (I'm in shape. Round is a shape)

I never ordered those and I can't find a charge on my statement. Just a mystery. 
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2518
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/04 18:31:10 (permalink)
    If it took you 5 years to find the Seventeen Mag charge, you may want to check if your still buying War Bonds...............
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 245
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/04 19:55:07 (permalink)
    you got to keep a good steady eye on your credit card bills.2 years ago i checked out of hotel and in my next bill their was a charge for the room and an additional charge of $12 .94. i called the hotel and they said it was for a phone call that morning.i said it couldnt be,we checked out at 8 am and i use my cell phone  for all my calls away from the house. they took it off. my wife never looks at them she just pays it.i study it.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/04 20:11:53 (permalink)
    Just about every time we took an out of the country trip we had to monitor our credit card bills closely. It's rampant. We went to Bolivia and Peru and got Colombia charges on our bill. We went to Rome and got Spanish charges on our bill. We promptly took care of them but in every case we had to get new credit cards and numbers and then had to update all the online places we have standing accounts like Amazon.com and Apple. When we travel now we notify our credit card company in advance our itinerary. They will flag your account immediately for anything out of bounds. Once I had to correct it as it was a legitimate charge I made. I don't complain. I appreciate their diligence.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5215
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/04 20:36:00 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

If it took you 5 years to find the Seventeen Mag charge, you may want to check if your still buying War Bonds...............

For some reason I'm reminded of the old joke about the bear and the hunter...
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/18 07:43:52 (permalink)
    CTF has not reported back if he had any success in getting a refund, or if he in fact was being charged all these years for Seventeen magazine. I know in years past that I would continue to receive magazines after my paid subscription expired. These were magazines whose editorial content was merely a sham in order to get second class postage rates for what was defacto advertising. They were making more money from the advertising than they were from my payments to them. I suspect they were cooking their circulation figures as well. I understand advertisers are willing to pay more for space in paid-for magazines than in free magazines.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/18 12:46:33 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

Ward Bonds died years ago, I did buy his acting in Wagon Train, thanks for the memories PNWCHEF!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/18 12:49:23 (permalink)
    David_NYC

CTF has not reported back if he had any success in getting a refund, or if he in fact was being charged all these years for Seventeen magazine. I know in years past that I would continue to receive magazines after my paid subscription expired. These were magazines whose editorial content was merely a sham in order to get second class postage rates for what was defacto advertising. They were making more money from the advertising than they were from my payments to them. I suspect they were cooking their circulation figures as well. I understand advertisers are willing to pay more for space in paid-for magazines than in free magazines.

Zero success, I signed on the dotted line, I'm responsible and pissed at being stupid at not being aware of the small print!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8331
    Re:I"ve been taken by Seventeen Magazine 2011/12/18 18:07:06 (permalink)
    I got two "second notice" bills yesterday for the one book I refused when it was handed to me.

Cook's.  This should be fun.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1