The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

I've got a couple of tough ones.......

jcoscio

• Total Posts: 1
I've got a couple of tough ones....... Fri, 05/7/04 11:50 AM (permalink)
Does anybody remember a terrible drink mix I believe was called "Choco-Chill"? It was essentially a chocolate mix for ice water. It was advertised on the back of comic books. Also, there was a snack chip that was similar to "Combo's", except they were potato chips with nasty dip in the middle. I think they may have been called "Dooley's".

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
    RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Fri, 05/7/04 11:55 AM (permalink)
    god I dont remember them, but that sounds awful. Makes me quesy just thinking about the combination

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
      RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Fri, 05/7/04 3:50 PM (permalink)
      Why do these companies have to keep giving chocolate a bad name ???

That nasty dip wasn't related to the Doggy Dooley gizmo I see advertized, was it?

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Fri, 05/7/04 5:54 PM (permalink)
        jcoscio,
        When I was ten or eleven, I poured some chocolate syrup (Hershey's) into a glass of buttermilk. It was rendered utterly undrinkable. I can envision my father, now thirty years gone, coming back to quip "If you'd have used Fox's U-Bet, it wouldn't have been so terrible!"
        Gracious, I'll eat practically anything, but those two items sound like I'm glad I've thusfar managed to avoid them. And not even Fox's U-Bet would have improved them. I think I'll stick to Yoo-Hoo and to chips and occasional forays into dip.
        Shudderingly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
          RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Tue, 05/11/04 10:19 AM (permalink)
          did you ever get your answer?

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
            RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Tue, 05/11/04 12:45 PM (permalink)
            Am I considered weird if I tell you I mix a little milk in with my root beer?

Hey, it tastes halfway between an egg cream and a root beer float.

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
              RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Tue, 05/11/04 2:13 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Kristi S.

Kristi-
              I, too like milk mixed with root beer. A throwback from childhood. M-M-M-M-M. Weird or not, it's pretty good.

buchanac

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Mon, 08/15/05 4:38 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by jcoscio

Does anybody remember a terrible drink mix I believe was called "Choco-Chill"? It was essentially a chocolate mix for ice water. It was advertised on the back of comic books. Also, there was a snack chip that was similar to "Combo's", except they were potato chips with nasty dip in the middle. I think they may have been called "Dooley's".

buchanac

• Total Posts: 2
                  RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Mon, 08/15/05 4:40 PM (permalink)
                  YES I remember Dooley's!!! They were awesome!!! Crinkled corn cylinders with a filling in the middle. Nacho cheese was by far the best. They also had a few other flavors. They are STILL way better than combos!!!!

I would love to see Dooley's back on the market someplace!!!

KIMMYJ1962

• Total Posts: 58
                    RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Fri, 02/3/06 10:32 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by jcoscio

I REMEMBER DOOLEY'S AND I COULD EAT A WHOLE BAG AT ONE SITTING!!! I WOULD BUY THEM NOW IF I COULD FIND THEM!! ALSO, THE MARATHON BAR, BLACK LICORICE ICE CREAM, WINK POP, AND SPACE FOOD SNACK STICKS!!!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                      RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Fri, 02/3/06 5:19 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Kristi S.

Not weird at all. I've been known to put a dabble of half-n-half on occasion. Someone else didn't think it was odd, because all those cream sodas had to some from someone putting cream in rootbeer.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                        RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Fri, 02/3/06 5:41 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

jcoscio,
                        When I was ten or eleven, I poured some chocolate syrup (Hershey's) into a glass of buttermilk. It was rendered utterly undrinkable. I can envision my father, now thirty years gone, coming back to quip "If you'd have used Fox's U-Bet, it wouldn't have been so terrible!"
                        Gracious, I'll eat practically anything, but those two items sound like I'm glad I've thusfar managed to avoid them. And not even Fox's U-Bet would have improved them. I think I'll stick to Yoo-Hoo and to chips and occasional forays into dip.
                        Shudderingly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.

Oooh, you brought back some bad memories. When we were very young, my brother did the same thing as you did with buttermilk, and made me drink it. My mom caught him, and she turned around and made him drink it without hersheys in it...

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
                          RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Thu, 03/8/07 11:21 PM (permalink)
                          didn't laverne in Laverne and Shirley drink Pepsi and milk??? I say yes, but husband has no idea what I'm talking about. I was born in 76 so i don't remember the show too much, but that tidbit (if true) I do remember.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                            RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Thu, 03/8/07 11:31 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by naxet76

didn't laverne in Laverne and Shirley drink Pepsi and milk??? I say yes, but husband has no idea what I'm talking about. I was born in 76 so i don't remember the show too much, but that tidbit (if true) I do remember.

Oh, yes. To wit:

"If in heaven, we don't meet,
                            Hand in hand we'll bear the heat.
                            And if it ever gets too hot,
                            Milk and Pepsi hits the spot."

That was how they signed each other's yearbooks. I think it was more Laverne than Shirley who actually drank it. For 30 years now I've been wondering what that tastes like, but never had the guts to actually try it. Still don't, I must say.

DavidEMartin

• Total Posts: 173
                              RE: I've got a couple of tough ones....... Tue, 04/3/07 9:38 PM (permalink)
                              Milk in root beer is simply the same thing as a Black Cow that has melted. But a Coke Foat? I suppose they exist but somehow they seem heresy.

Comboes are alive and well. They're more filling than potato chips. According to an old NOVA ep, they began life when a food chemist was trying to make a machine that extruded cylindrical sandwiches. But the only thing that worked was a cracker/pretzel dough and the only company interested in the technology saw it solely as a snack food.

CHOCO-CHILL-- strikes me as a company trying to break into the KoolAid/Wylers/Flav-R-Aid/FunnyFace market via a flavor none of them had. But I agree, it sounds horrid.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com