Jack's Old South (Terrible)

Author
BigMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2004/12/31 17:24:23 (permalink)

Jack's Old South (Terrible)

Jack's Old South is slacking!!...We are big BBQ fans and love to try new things. We had heard of Jack's Old South on Food Network and decided to stop in on the way back home to try it. We went inside and sat down, to begin with, the waitress was very rude and she acted like she didn't want to be there. We asked her if they had ribs, her reply was "Nope"...with no other explanation. This took place today which is Friday, (which is supposed to be rib day). Disappointed, we decided to try the pulled pork. A few minutes later the waitress returned with our order. The pulled pork was cold, served with a few cold Ore Ida french fries. I was not impressed with the meat nor the BBQ sauce. I think Mr. Mixon needs to invest some of his winnings into "Jack's Old South". The place is filthy, the service is bad and the food is not good either. I have no doubt that Mr. Mixon is a good BBQ cook himself, but if I were him, I think I would reconsider putting my name on "Jack's Old South" and avertising on the interstate that it is world champion BBQ.

28 Replies Related Threads

BigMan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2005/01/01 04:04:13 (permalink)
    Sorry, I forgot to list the location of "Jack's Old South". It is located off I-75 in Vienna, Georgia. Like I said, I have no doubt that Mr. Myron Mixon (owner and BBQ Champion) is a great BBQ cook. The problem I have is that his advertising for "Jack's Old South" as championship BBQ is very misleading to people expecting "championship BBQ". I understand that he was also opening another "Jack's Old South" in Cordele, Georgia....I wish him well and hope this does not offend, but he is really hurting his reputation...If you don't take my word...try it yourself.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2005/01/01 13:50:06 (permalink)
    I went to "Jack's website and after two pages and no address for a restaurant i figured something was phoney about the operation. Thank's for the warning, cncroft.

cheers, John
    southerncomfort
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2005/01/08 22:08:17 (permalink)
    I have competed against Jacks Old South on many occasions and they have done quite well in competitions winning many of them. I was unaware they actually had a restaurant! Were there trophies and such in their store?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2005/01/08 22:31:11 (permalink)

We attended the Big Pig Jig last Fall in Vienna. When we couldn't get any BBQ at the competition (no gripe...just reality) We went into town to find some. We met several folks leaving the "Old South" complaining of poor food...dirt..and rude service. We turned around and left without trying it ourselves. The owner needs to be made aware of what's happening "in his name".
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2005/01/09 09:59:39 (permalink)
    One possibility that I can think of is that the "Jack's Old South" name was purchased. We have that going on here where Randy White (Dallas Cowboys) has sold his name to a BBQ place. After aquiring the name there were two locations opened using White's name and has drawn a lot of customers. Most of them only once, though.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2005/01/09 10:54:30 (permalink)
    I believe I would have turned on my heel and exited stage left as soon as I noticed the filthy part.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2005/01/09 11:28:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Slick

One possibility that I can think of is that the "Jack's Old South" name was purchased. We have that going on here where Randy White (Dallas Cowboys) has sold his name to a BBQ place. After aquiring the name there were two locations opened using White's name and has drawn a lot of customers. Most of them only once, though.

It is not a purchased name. That is Myron's place. In fact, they have now opened another place that his mom runs out closer to the interstate.

John
    nuttman
    Junior Burger
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2006/06/22 14:15:02 (permalink)
    I agree. They have lousy barbeque. I hve always wondered why he wins so mnay competitions. I do not like his sauce at all. Maybe he uses completely different stuff doing a cookoff.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2006/06/22 14:23:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by nuttman

I agree. They have lousy barbeque. I hve always wondered why he wins so mnay competitions. I do not like his sauce at all. Maybe he uses completely different stuff doing a cookoff.

I don't think he has restaurants anymore. At least not in Vienna. I believe he is only competing.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2006/06/22 14:46:39 (permalink)
    From what I heard, he closed the place. Hard to be on the road and trust somebody with the cash register. I'm competeing against him tomorrow.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2006/06/22 14:49:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Captain Morgan

From what I heard, he closed the place. Hard to be on the road and trust somebody with the cash register. I'm competeing against him tomorrow.

Best of luck Captain. When it's over, be sure to give us the low down on the competition...and maybe some photos!
    backfrmIraq
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2006/06/22 15:52:34 (permalink)
    Unfortunately you can lose good roadfood rep at a warp speed faster than obtain it....we had a place in Mobile years ago, Johnny's Smokehouse on Dauphin Island Parkway...close to my reserve center...place was a little rustic, but what the heck the food made up for it....sauce was very good........he let his wife and son run it after a while and within 3-4 years straight into the toilet....ate there back in '03 before I deployed to Iraq and the chopped brisket was fatty and the sauce bland....it's closed down now.......
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2006/06/22 17:23:16 (permalink)
    myron and davey are only doing competitions and cooking schools now. can't say that i blame him as this is surely a better way to earn a buck just like quantity sales to restaurants beats having one of your own as your profit margins are certainly fatter.
    i will say this myron and davey helpped 2 greyhounds....smokin!!!! a bunch and finer gentlemen i have never met. i put them in the same catagory as mike, and his daughter amy mills, and billy bones.
    jack
    riblet
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2006/07/05 19:32:28 (permalink)
    We've eaten in both palces, Vienna and Cordele-the latest of his endeavors, if he still owns it. They didn't offer ribs on the week days, only weekends in Vienna. But the Cordele place is off I 75 and offers everything everyday.

The problem with competing is that you're never there to cook in your restaurant. Also, there's always a difference in competition when you have a certain event due at a certain time-not all day long for restaurant hours.

But can a disenterested group of people ruin a good thing? You betcha!
    Raine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2006/07/05 20:07:15 (permalink)
    Yep, you can't watch over your quality at the store, if you are on the road competing. That is why we haven't competed since opening our restaurant. We really miss the competing and all our bbq friends. We hope to one competion in this year (restaurant will be closed).
    caj8488
    Junior Burger
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/12 17:48:31 (permalink)
    Hi... I have eaten at Jack's Old South several times and it was GREAT!!! I think Mixon was trying to keep the hometown "BBQ joint" feel and did a nice job of it! Never a complaint on food or service! It seems that some people choose to downgrade those that are popular in the business because of jealousy. Though both of the restaurants are now closed, I am certain that Mixon is now strictly competition, catering, and manufacturing grills. All restaurants have bad days and if you don't try it more than once you have no right to try and rate it from one experience!
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2296
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/12 19:35:19 (permalink)
    You don't have the RIGHT to critique a restaurant from one experience?
    BWA-HA-HAAA! That was a good one. You almost had me going there for a minute!
    caj8488
    Junior Burger
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/12 21:43:38 (permalink)
    I may have had you going "Pete" but its true! If you go into a restaurant and it's packed out, and from the time you sit down service is terrible and the food sucks, they are obviously having a bad day. If they were rated that day, it would be terrible! Let's say you choose to go back the next week and service is GREAT and the food is AWESOME!!! Then they're rate would obviuosly be better than beofre. So... maybe I shouldn't have used "the right to" critique but rather "it's not right"!!!
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/13 00:10:18 (permalink)
    Sorry, but if it's not right the first time why would anyone want to throw good money after bad and try again? You either get it right the first time or me and my wallet don't come back.

And even if the food is not the best I've ever had, filth and rudeness is an excuse to not come back.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/13 03:25:37 (permalink)
    If the restaurant in question is a local place for me AND I hear positive comments from others even after I have a negative experience, I will probably give the place a second, and maybe even a third try. After that I would go back only if I hear of an Ownership change.
    However, if I am traveling, and only pass thru an area once in a Blue Moon, once is enough to get put on my No-Return list. Life is too short and there are too many good places out there to put up with filth, lousey service, & poor food!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/13 04:10:31 (permalink)
    What the Mayor said.

MikeS.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/13 06:50:47 (permalink)
    Big difference between comp cooking and restaurant cooking.

John
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/14 17:18:29 (permalink)
    You wouldn' cach me dead at JAck's Old South! All smoke and no fire. NO THANKS!!!
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/14 17:58:28 (permalink)
    To me, the portion of this thread about rating a restaurant based on one visit should not even be on this thread. The remainder of the thread is moot at this point since all locations for JOS are closed. Why not just leave it at that and move on.

John
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2007/01/15 10:51:15 (permalink)
    Ribdog,
    If you locate Elise's thread regarding her experience at a restaurant in Palm Desert CA I think you will read a pretty good case for a negative review after just one visit. If you had driven quite a distance from your home (and I am assuming Palm Desert,CA would fit that description) and were treated like this, would you willingly, drive out of your way to go to the place a second time??? I sure won't even go the first time, based on the experience of a person who's reviews I respect.

BTW my "almost visit" at OLD SOUTH BBQ, when it was open, was a very similar experience. I won't be going back unless someone other than the prior owner opens it up. He may know his BBQ technique, but he obviously doesn't know a thing about how to treat customers.
    Here's a link to that review- http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17447
    Qtech
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2011/02/18 16:33:11 (permalink)
    This thread has been inactive a while, but I thought I'd point out a few changes that have happened since.  Jack's Old South has become a franchise and brings quality food, professionalism, and hospitality to the table.  I'm partial to the BBQ Nachos myself & the Vinegar Sauce does things to chicken that make me want to plan a road trip back to Georgia.  If you happen to be around the Gainesville/Atlanta area, you should stop by Braselton & check it out.  They've got a website too if you want to check it out more before making the trip.  Just search for Jack's Old South Braselton.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2011/02/18 18:58:29 (permalink)
    I've never been to Jack's Old South but, from what I've seen of him and his egotistical pompous attitude on the BBQ championship circuit, I'd prefer not to give him my patronage.
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Jack's Old South (Terrible) 2011/02/19 10:17:53 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

I've never been to Jack's Old South but, from what I've seen of him and his egotistical pompous attitude on the BBQ championship circuit, I'd prefer not to give him my patronage.

Ditto
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1