Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures)

Author
arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
2009/03/22 19:42:43 (permalink)

Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures)

On a whim, my husband and I took a daytrip to Jackson county in Ohio to visit the Leo petroglyph.  For lunch, we stopped in the small town of Jackson, which is right off US-35.  I had a couple things down on the list to try, but some we just couldn't find (probably outdated Google Map listings) and one was closed on a Saturday afternoon.  Bummer.  But we finally hit on J.R. Valentine's, on E. Main/US-93, just north of 124.

There used to be a J.R. Valentine's in Chillicothe, but I think it closed?  This was our first time eating here. 

Inside there were plenty of booths and tables free around 12:45pm or so on a Saturday.  Toward the front is a lunch counter with a refrigerated glass case full of pie slices.  They have daily specials, and on that day was an all-you-can-eat fried chicken special for $6 and some change.  I was definitely tempted.

Like the genius that I am, I forgot to take pictures of the other side, which advertises their "Famous Jackson Country veal sandwiches"!  But don't worry, I got pictures of the sandwich itself:

It's prepared pretty much like a pork tenderloin sandwich-- the veal is pounded thin, breaded and deep fried.  The end result is so large it hangs off the plate.  As I was photographing it, another customer walked by and did a doubletake, then leaned over and asked what the heck that was.  ;D

Here is the monster sandwich, folded in half.  It's still too big for the hamburger bun it's on, but at least now it's manageable!  It was excellent-- hot and crisp on the inside, tender on the inside.

One of the specials is that if you order the veal sandwich, you get a side dish for only .99.  This is a relatively small lunch portion of onion rings, but daaaaamn, they were good.  They had a light, almost delicate batter coating and were very crunchy.  I don't like too heavy a batter on my onion rings, so this was fabulous.  The total tab was less than $11 for two people.  Unfortunately, we didn't have room for pie.  :(   Maybe next time!

The visit to the petroglyph was interesting too, although it was sad to see rock graffiti carved into the stone.  Even nicer was the short hike through the gorge next to it-- very much like the nearby Hocking Hills area with its limestone outcroppings and woods.  It's not too challenging, but the trail is narrower and not as well maintained, so sturdy shoes are in order.  I wouldn't go out of your way to see it, but if you're traveling along US-35 and don't mind making a slight side trip, it's not a bad outing.

15 Replies Related Threads

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/22 20:02:58 (permalink)
    Great post Arianej! Good looking sandwich!

I think some of my ancestors may have drawn those pictures??? :~)
    Joe
    catherine s
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/22 20:31:27 (permalink)
    Looks like a nice day trip.
    Nice pics.
    Food very enticing, I'll take one of those.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18462
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/22 20:38:29 (permalink)
    Boy, I've passed that place many times without stopping. Next time I'm down that way I'll have to try it.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/22 21:40:49 (permalink)
    Beautiful pictures of the sandwich--looks like a nice hike too!  Great report ariane!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7907
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/22 23:23:16 (permalink)
    I'd go back for more of those onion rings.  They look devine.

I'd love to try one of those sandwiches.

Right now!
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 362
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/23 00:00:40 (permalink)
    Having never been to Jackson,Ohio before we were called down to there for my brother being in a hospital there. We came across Valentines when we left the hospital in the middle of the nite, starving . I think it was around 4am when we arrive and the place was fairly empty. I got the pork tenderloin sammie and it was massive in size as the pictures shows lol
    We also had the onion rings and also had the fried mushrooms OMG everything was so tasty. The ladies running the place were so very friendly!
    We went back later in the day for another meal because it's not too far from the hospital. I had breakfast for lunch and everything was just as good as it was at 4am.
    I live in Dayton, Ohio and have been back several times just to eat at Valentines.
    Pam
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/23 12:45:35 (permalink)
    Great pictures and a nice report.  I am sitting here starving after looking at the write-up.  Wait a minute; of course I should be hungry.  It's lunchtime.  Bye and thanks.
    AaronM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/23 12:52:30 (permalink)
    Looks AMAZING! How far is that from Dayton?
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/23 13:10:05 (permalink)
    AaronM

Jackson is 110-120 miles from Dayton, depending on what part of Dayton you're coming from.
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/23 15:21:36 (permalink)
    AaronM

About 100 miles.  Google Maps says 2 hours, but I'm not sure it really took that long, and it's a pretty easy drive with little traffic since you take 35 most of the way. 

The people there were really nice, and I was especially impressed that a sandwich that size was $4.99!
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/28 10:59:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for review of J R Valentine's in Jackson.  We moved from Dunbar, West Virginia to Indianapolis 35 years ago & have made 100's of trips from WV to Indy & back again on US 35.

I will definetely try J R Valentine's on my next trip.  Indiana has great pork tenderloins & would love to try a veal tenderloin & great onion rings. 

If I am traveling with the grandchildren I try to stop at Sumburger in Chillicothe.  If the weather in nice we use the drive-in part, a great experience for kids who only know McDondald's drive thru.  When the weather is not pleasant, we eat inside & they love to place their order of the phone at the booth.  I love the Sumburgers & the  crinkle cut fries.

One of the best parts of a trip home to WV is to be able to get southern style slaw dogs-chili,mustard, onions, cole slaw.  Galliapolis OH(just across the Ohio river from WV) has great slaw dogs at Shake Shop,383 Jackson Pike, Gallipolis, OH,Tel: (740) 446-1611.  Sometimes I stop both coming & going to get my slaw dog fix.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/28 13:12:55 (permalink)
    I live about 25 minutes west of Jackson in Chillicothe where the other and original J.R. Valentine's closed down this winter after 25 years in business. Another place worth a stop in Jackson is the Colonial for their all-you-can-eat ribs night and their prime rib night. If you are going another 30 minutes east on Rt. 35 through Gallipolis, be sure and stop at Remo's Hot Dogs.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5079
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/28 13:17:47 (permalink)
    Great report! J. R. Valentine's should be on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. Guy, are you listening?
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2009/03/28 17:00:37 (permalink)
    claracamille

Thanks for review of J R Valentine's in Jackson.  We moved from Dunbar, West Virginia to Indianapolis 35 years ago & have made 100's of trips from WV to Indy & back again on US 35.

I will definetely try J R Valentine's on my next trip.  Indiana has great pork tenderloins & would love to try a veal tenderloin & great onion rings. 

If I am traveling with the grandchildren I try to stop at Sumburger in Chillicothe.  If the weather in nice we use the drive-in part, a great experience for kids who only know McDondald's drive thru.  When the weather is not pleasant, we eat inside & they love to place their order of the phone at the booth.  I love the Sumburgers & the  crinkle cut fries.

One of the best parts of a trip home to WV is to be able to get southern style slaw dogs-chili,mustard, onions, cole slaw.  Galliapolis OH(just across the Ohio river from WV) has great slaw dogs at Shake Shop,383 Jackson Pike, Gallipolis, OH,Tel: (740) 446-1611.  Sometimes I stop both coming & going to get my slaw dog fix.

Sumburger in Chillicothe is another of our usual stops after a day at Hocking Hills.  :)

We've also been to the Shake Shop in Gallipolis, but only had a pineapple shake there.  We'll have to try the food sometime-- I've never had a slaw dog!
    Goldenpony
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures) 2011/09/24 15:11:22 (permalink)
    Just thought I'd pass this along. My parents are from the Jackson, Vinton county area in Ohio, Hamden and Wellston. I have been eating veals all my life. The classic way to eat a veal is with ketchup and dill pickle slices maybe a little salt.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1