Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area

Author
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
2012/02/06 17:28:28 (permalink)

Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area

I will be going up to jacksonville once a week for the next several weeks, possibly months, for my dog's chemo. her vet is on southside blvd near beach blvd. there are a ton of chain restaurants in the area, i wonder if anyone knows of any good places nearby. we have about 2 to 2 and a half hours to wait for her treatment to be done. this puts some places like singleton's and clark's fish camp out of the running, just too far with all the traffic.

and before i get the "use the search" response, i have. i went back 2 years, haven't found much, jacksonville is a bit of a wasteland and of course places close, or go down hill, so i'm hoping for some more recent reccomendations.

i did see reference to beach road chicken dinners,  i will seek that place out, it's not too far and looks very good

16 Replies Related Threads

rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/06 17:58:52 (permalink)
    You may have found my posting about the Southern Grill at 800 Flagler Avenue.  I had lunch there in Octoher 2010 and enjoyed it.  I haven't been back to Jacksonville since, so I don't know how it is now.

I also don't know Jacksonville's geography, so I can' say whether it would be convenient for you.   It was close to the maritime museum and Jacksonville Landing.
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/06 20:10:36 (permalink)
    i did see that post. the landing is a little far out for my purpose, and i believe parking can be difficult downtown, so i probably wont check it out. but thanks so much for the suggestion

i don't think there are any or many posters on here from jacksonville. i may just go search on yelp, then i can maybe try and make a trip report of lunch places
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 467
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/07 14:58:00 (permalink)
    That whole city really does seem to have made way for the Wal-Mart, but we had a terrific lunch two months ago at the very funky Angie's Subs, which doesn't look to be far from your vet.  It's on Beach Blvd just as you enter the Jax Beach city limits.

http://marieletseat.blogs...sonville-beach-fl.html
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10481
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/07 15:09:08 (permalink)
    I was just in Jacksonville over the weekend.  Beach Road Chicken Dinners was at the top of my "to try" list, but never did get there.  If you do, please report back and let me know what I missed.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1512
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/07 15:37:21 (permalink)
    Took a look at the link. Cream peas is an interesting choice for a side to include with the fried chicken dinner.

buffetbuster

I was just in Jacksonville over the weekend.  Beach Road Chicken Dinners was at the top of my "to try" list, but never did get there.  If you do, please report back and let me know what I missed.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/07 15:40:57 (permalink)
    ces1948-
    Agree on those cream peas.  And they have another side known as crunchy crumbs.  No idea what that could be.
    Large Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/07 21:48:16 (permalink)
    Beach Rd. Fried Chicken, the cream peas are good.  The biscuits are great.  Fried chicken has been very good for my 40 plus years.  Barbara Jean's in Ponte Vedre area is good.  I like Sam's St John's Seafood, not flashy and in a strip shopping center but the seafood is always fresh and served with plenty of food with a cheap price.  I like Singleton's but it isn't flashy, some love it, some don't thinkit is fancy enough.  Clark's fish Camp and  Whitey's can be hit and miss, I've had great food there and marginal food there.  I like Schooners and Salt Water Cowboy in ST Augustine and you can't go wrog with O'Steens. 
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/07 23:36:27 (permalink)
    Try the Metro Diner, you should have plenty
    of time going over to  the San Marco Location.
    Open for breakfast and lunch. Here's their Web-site
    The Menus and Daily Specials are on it: http://metrodiner.com/

Mike
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1141
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/08 09:10:02 (permalink)
    Try Slider's Seafood Grille on Neptune Ave in Jax Beach. Thrusday's used to be a dozen oysters and a bucket of beer for really cheap. Don't know if they still do that but give it a try. And if you want a side trip drive to Mayport and Singletons' for minorcan clam chowder. Unlike anything I have ever tasted.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/08 09:20:34 (permalink)
    bosco lover

I will be going up to jacksonville once a week for the next several weeks, possibly months, for my dog's chemo. her vet is on southside blvd near beach blvd. there are a ton of chain restaurants in the area, i wonder if anyone knows of any good places nearby. we have about 2 to 2 and a half hours to wait for her treatment to be done. this puts some places like singleton's and clark's fish camp out of the running, just too far with all the traffic.

and before i get the "use the search" response, i have. i went back 2 years, haven't found much, jacksonville is a bit of a wasteland and of course places close, or go down hill, so i'm hoping for some more recent reccomendations.

i did see reference to beach road chicken dinners,  i will seek that place out, it's not too far and looks very good

I second the recommendation for the Metro Diner 3302 Hendricks Ave. Been on DD&D, fantastic food!!!
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/11 12:58:55 (permalink)
    Soul Food Bistro@ Potters House
    Give this a try. If you stay on I-95 to I-10 west you avoid the city traffic. Great down home southern cooking, "Soul Food"
    The Potters House is a Christian Ministry located in a strip center. They are closed Mondays.
    The fried chicken is very good but they serve cafeteria style, lots of favorites. Was in Jax last week and ate well!
    Mike
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/11 19:04:13 (permalink)
    Metro Diner and Soul Food Bistro were two other places I had on my list that I didn't get to.  I would love to hear more about both places.  Maybe Jacksonville is a better eating town than expected.
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/11 20:45:07 (permalink)
    Soul Food Bistro is in the Kingdom Plaza Mall with a
    bowling alley and other Ministry operations, they do have
    Web-site:  www.soulfoodbistro.com/
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/16 14:01:29 (permalink)
    metro diner's a great call, i've eaten there for breakfast but i don't believe my husband has ever been.
    i've never heard of the soul food bistro, looks like the kind of place i need to check out. thanks for all the suggestions
    dobrosky98
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/18 09:27:56 (permalink)
    You have got to try the Secret Garden Cafe.  It is on Beach Blv. right by Southside.  Their Coconut Cake is the best!  Order your slice with lunch before they sell out of it.  It is in a stripmall, not a stand alone.  My friend and I have been going here for years.
    Metro Diner is ok.  My daughter and I went for breakfast once and I found a hair in my hasbrowns.  The owner came over and asked if I wanted a new order.  Really?? I stopped eating, paid , and left!  If you want a good cheesesteak take a little drive down to Mayport Rd.  Bongiorno's is fantastic.  They are from Philly.  They have the meat and the rolls flown in, and they make fries with gravy!  YUM!!  My family loves Beach Road Chicken, although it isn't packed like it used to be when I was a kid.  The creamed peas are the best. My daughter is happy just eating the Peas!!  Up further on Beach is Bomba's.  This place used to be good, fresh homestyle food. A lady named Michelle runs the place.  She tried turning it into a biker hangout and I think that put a kink in her business, but know I see she seems to be focusing again on the food.  Her Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie has always been awesome.  I first had one over 20 years ago.  Check it out.  I pass by there twice a day on my way to work.  I need to stop in again, been awhile.Enjoy!!
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jacksonville FL-southside blvd area 2012/02/18 10:25:06 (permalink)
    Beach Road Chicken is still very good.  I'll have to try
    Secret Garden next time up to Jacksonville.
    Thanx for the Information

Mike
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1