Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2006/10/27 12:54:33 (permalink)

Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor

In 1949 when I first met my future wife she spoke lovely of Jahn's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor in Richmond Hill (in Queens, which is a remote part of New York City). She made it sound so great I couldn't wait to try it---- and she was right on !!!!

Anyone who has flown into JFK Airport was only a few miles away (it was known as Idlewild before 1963)--and Jahn's is still there, and so are the initials of thousands of kids from all over Looooong Island. From what I understand it is changed though. Say-la-vee !!

Because it was located right next to the RKO Keith's movie theater it was the perfect spot to take a date. Movie and Jahn's. Home made ice cream that was heavenly and all kinds of sundaes---some for as many as 6 people. The booths were dark wood and so were the walls and carving your initials with those of the girl you were madly in love with (at the time) was encouraged. I wonder how many girls have their initials numerous times ?????

Order a Super Duper for Two, for a $1.00, and get enough ice cream, whipped cream (real) and assorted nuts. etc to last a month or so.
Other fine and fancy items on the menu that I remember were --- The Kitchen Sink (for as many as 6---The Screwball's Delight----The Boilermaker---Joe Sent Me----and dozens more. The line went from the front door to the movie lobby after every movie. What a Joint !!!!!!!!! I walked in at 6-3/180 and came out about 5 pounds heavier, and I haven't stopped yet ! Alas and alack !!!!

Just a little walk down memory lane for Long Islanders.

45 Replies Related Threads

Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/10/27 13:12:17 (permalink)
    ...as kids i remember feeling like we'd hit the jackpot whenever someone's mom was cool enough to throw their child's birthday party at Jahn's - try ordering the kitchen sink for 12 youngsters and preventing the inevitable birthday partycfoodfight!
    ...thanks for the memory, mariner...
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/10/27 13:54:48 (permalink)
    We had a Jahn's in Rockville Centre, LI where I grew up. I remember getting a free sundae on your birthday, which was nice except my birthday in in January. They also sponsored a little league team and if you were on that team you could get a free cone after a win.
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/10/27 14:09:39 (permalink)
    There was one in Union, NJ also, and I have some pretty fond memories of the place. In addition to good ice cream and imaginatively-named sundaes (The Kitchen Sink, for instance), their sandwiches and hot meals were also good.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/10/30 20:02:29 (permalink)
    We used to go to Jahns on near Sheepshead Bay,Bklyn. I think near Ave. Z and Nostrand. Great spot for like graduation parties. Melted kitchen sinks were "the thing." How wholesome!
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/10/31 14:14:09 (permalink)
    There was one somewhere in North Jersey too - have no clue where - I just remember the "kitchen sink" had lots of sparklers!! Great childhood memory! Thanks!
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/10/31 14:23:42 (permalink)
    For many years, Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor on Hillside Avenue in New Hyde Park (Nassau Cty) was the ONLY place to go after final exams for kids from Herricks & Mineola High Schools.
    It was a neighborhood place that encompassed a pretty big neighborhood; many generations of New York's suburban kids found a sense of community there.
    My mother found the same thing at Jahn's on Jamaica Avenue a generation earlier.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/11/07 03:24:16 (permalink)
    There used to be one in Coral Gables, FL right on Miracle Mile...
    I am talking about the late 50's-70's. I dont know if it is still there or not.. I am sure not...
    I must email my friend that lives there and ask him.
    Oh.. this brings back memories...
    I used to love to go there......
    WOW.. trippin on memories here......

Foot note.. I got the answer..Jahns has been gone for 20 years now.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/11/07 06:37:49 (permalink)
    I think the Richmond Hill location was the original. What about the Tiffany style lights (Coke and Moxie) and the Nickelodeon in the back room. Other creations, a Tall in the Saddle or a Whopper. I kept it simple, I ordered a '1 up chip black' in the waiters lingo. It was just a single dish half chocolate and half chocolate chip. A block away was (at the time) the oldest restaurant in Queens, the Triangle Hofbrau; frequented by Babe Ruth and May West.

http://www.richmondhillhistory.org/Hofbrau.html
    bre
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/11/09 20:25:43 (permalink)
    I think the original Jahn's was in Ridgewood under the El train. My parents showed me their initials there (dated 12/54) We always went for birthdays. I remember the "For a 2 cents plain" -- seltzer. Jump ahead many years --- and the restaurant the Sterns went to in VIrginia (Chutzpah) has seltzer for free if you can tell them what a "2 cents plain" is. The waitress there told me I was the first one to know.
    There was also a Jahn's there in Bayside.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/11/09 21:27:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

There was one in Union, NJ also, and I have some pretty fond memories of the place. In addition to good ice cream and imaginatively-named sundaes (The Kitchen Sink, for instance), their sandwiches and hot meals were also good.

I have fond memories of that Jahns, as well.......from back in my junior high school days when my best girlfriend and I used to walk a few miles from our houses in Union ... mid 1970's.

It was right on Morris Ave., by the corner of Stuyvesant..
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/11/09 22:11:51 (permalink)
    "My" Jahn's was on Central Ave. in Cedarhurst. I worked there after school and Saturdays as a short order cook, soda jerk and dishwasher in 1956 when I was 16 years old. I loved working there (for .50 an hourplus tips) and making sundaes and sanwiches. The "kichen sink" was $6.00 and would feed a small army of people.
    Great memories. Thanks, "Ancient Mariner" for bring them to mind.
    Lexi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/11/09 23:18:50 (permalink)
    And "my" Jahn's was in Eastchester, NY in Westchester County. It was THE place to go after 6th grade graduation and the rite of passage was The Kitchen Sink. I remember watching my brother and his friend go to town on one of those. This was in the mid-to late 1960s. Got a big smile on my face when I saw the name again.

The Friendly's moved into town and the fun ended...
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2006/11/09 23:39:01 (permalink)
    In Elizabeth, N.J. (the next town over from Newark), it was Bonds, home of the Awful, Awful, a milkshake concoction of sorts.

My friend Hal, the skinniest of us all, drank the 6 or whatever of those it took to get your name posted on the wall. I still prefer cake over ice cream...Black Forest cake, to be specific.
    The Bear
    ralphnyc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/06/30 13:12:58 (permalink)
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Jahn's in the Bronx, I believe near 138th street, which I recall being quite old, perhaps the original site. My best memory is from sophomore high school (Xavier) in 1961 when we got a team of 9 hungry guys and in late afternoon, pilgrimaged up to the Bronx on the IRT and ordered up a Kitchen Sink. We were not able to finish it, and I remember, an hour later with a pool of melted ice cream in the bottom of the sink, we could barely waddle out. What a great place!!!
    steve P
    Junior Burger
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/07/27 09:15:45 (permalink)
    Actually, unless there was another one in the Bronx, the Jahn's in that borough was right off Fordham Road, a few blocks from Alexanders. They would offer you a free Sundae if you came in on your birthday (and you actually had to show them something which proved that it WAS your birthday on that day - no fooling them!)
    Ruby Red
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/08/17 17:19:44 (permalink)
    The Jahn°s in Richmond Hill is still there.I had lunch there a few years ago and was unimpressed by the food,the snooty waitress and the darkness.We didn°t try the ice cream,but since it is close to home,I°ll go and try it.Hopefully it will be as good as ever!
    chickenwingking
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/08/18 10:49:16 (permalink)
    There was a Jahn's on Hempstead Tpke in Levittown by the Levittown roller rink (which sadly has also been gone for years). It was near the Meadowbrook movie theatre which was one of many magnificent big old movie theatres that went to multiplex and has now sadly been gone for a couple of years. The Levittown Jahns operated until at least the late 70's because I remember driving there for a year or two after I graduated from High School in '75. My favorite was the Double Wallop chocolate ice cream soda. I once downed two of them at one sitting!
    zeitgeist
    Junior Burger
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/08/22 21:34:13 (permalink)
    I remember going to Jahn's as a kid, back in the early 70s. Sometimes the family, sometimes just my Dad would take me. I do remember the dark wood booths, the metal containers that ice cream sundaes and splits were served in. The waiters who had the soda-jerk outfits with hats.

One of the interesting things I remember, which has not been brought up, was the very unique artwork on the walls. They were caricature-like people, if I recall. I remember having dreams about them as a kid.

In an interest to find a similar parlor to take my kids to, I had googled this for nostalgia. But for some reason I had remembered it has Hahn's (not Jahn's) and didn't find anything. Sadly, such parlors just aren't easy to find. Miami, I think, does still have a Swenson's - which is about the last vestige of an old-style parlor.
    vwgto
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/09/07 21:56:29 (permalink)
    There was a Jahn's on HWY 4 in Paramus NJ. I also remember the "kitchen sink". Jahn's was a special trip for many HS kids after dances and such in the 70's.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/09/27 15:18:55 (permalink)
    For Mr. Mariner and others who remember the Richmond Hill location...

http://www.queenspix.com/rhthumbnails/117_03hillsideave_jahn0004.jpg
    http://www.queenspix.com/rhthumbnails/117_03hillsideave_jahns_2.jpg
    http://www.queenspix.com/rhthumbnails/117_03hillsideave_jahns_3.jpg
    http://www.queenspix.com/rhthumbnails/117_03hillsideave_jahns_4.jpg
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/09/27 17:17:20 (permalink)
    Those pics are very reminiscent of "my" Jahn's, on Hillside Ave. in New Hyde Park.
    In fact, the url for each of rthese pics includes "hillsideave". Hillside Avenue was (and still is) a main east-west artery; was the Richmond Hill Jahn's actually on Hillside Ave.?
    Anybody?

Ron
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/09/27 18:28:04 (permalink)
    thanks Kozel----when thinking of Jahn's I often think that if it wasn't for the Lindy
    and other great dances of the time I would have doubled my weight from those great sundaes.
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/09/27 18:53:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rongmtek

Those pics are very reminiscent of "my" Jahn's, on Hillside Ave. in New Hyde Park.
    In fact, the url for each of rthese pics includes "hillsideave". Hillside Avenue was (and still is) a main east-west artery; was the Richmond Hill Jahn's actually on Hillside Ave.?
    Anybody?

Ron
    Yes Ron, it's a couple of hundred feet from it's western terminus at Jamaica Avenue. I went to your NHP Jahn's at least once and many, many times to my Jahn's, East Meadow next to the Roller Rink. Very sad these places are gone. I have been to the sole survivor, Richmond Hill at least three times in the last year. Glad it's still here...
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/09/27 19:04:29 (permalink)
    On the first picture you can barely make out the marquee of the RKO theater next door. Hillside ave ends (or begins) right near the intersections of Jamaica, Myrtle & Lefferts in Richmond Hill. The site those thumbnails are from is www.queenspix.com and they have quite a trove of photos arranged by 'town'. They are a commercial site and the photos are for sale.
    peterj
    Junior Burger
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/10/05 00:09:11 (permalink)
    Wow - what great memories! My Jahn's was in Flushing NY. The BEST were the black and white ice cream sodas - vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrpu, soda - yum.. It was an absolute treat when I was a kid. Loved the booths.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/11/27 07:00:59 (permalink)
    It looks like the Richmond Hill location has closed. Nice article on Forgotten-NY

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SLICES/jahns/jahns.html
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/11/27 08:58:57 (permalink)
    thanks Kozel---------I wonder how many kids went through the entrance
    door skinny and came out fat ???

By the way that is a fun site that you linked us to---Forgotten NY.
    I loved the Times Square area when I was a kid----NY City was a great
    place to be able to get to for a nickel subway ride. How many hours
    did I stand in line to see Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey, Benny
    Goodman, Harry James, Martin and Lewis etc. etc.----I wonder?
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/11/27 10:06:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chickenwingking

There was a Jahn's on Hempstead Tpke in Levittown by the Levittown roller rink (which sadly has also been gone for years). It was near the Meadowbrook movie theatre which was one of many magnificent big old movie theatres that went to multiplex and has now sadly been gone for a couple of years. The Levittown Jahns operated until at least the late 70's because I remember driving there for a year or two after I graduated from High School in '75. My favorite was the Double Wallop chocolate ice cream soda. I once downed two of them at one sitting!

As a kid growing up in Levittown, we used to drive by this place all the time, and I finally got to go there for the first time when I was in the 5th or 6th grade. I think I had a Joe's Sent Me, but secretly wanted a Kitchen Sink.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor 2007/11/28 07:26:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

thanks Kozel---------I wonder how many kids went through the entrance
    door skinny and came out fat ???

By the way that is a fun site that you linked us to---Forgotten NY.
    I loved the Times Square area when I was a kid----NY City was a great
    place to be able to get to for a nickel subway ride. How many hours
    did I stand in line to see Frank Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey, Benny
    Goodman, Harry James, Martin and Lewis etc. etc.----I wonder?

Forgotten is the brain child of Kevin Walsh and I've been a fan for years. You can lose an entire weekend digging through his site. He also published a book and does an occasional walking tour.

I grew up in Middle Village and it was a short bus ride to Richmond Hill. We'd go to Jahn's all the time. It's a sad day.

Oh Mr. Mariner, the subway fare is now 2 bucks and the MTA is seeking an increase.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1