Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
2008/04/05 18:05:14 (permalink)

Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee

Hi y'all -
In case you didn't hear the news - a car crashed into Jake's Deli this afternoon (4/5). Damage was heavy.
They "hope" to be open by Tuesday, but no guarantees.

If I were you, I'd call ahead for the planned Roadfood trip to Jake's this coming Saturday.

62 Replies Related Threads

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/06 10:12:08 (permalink)
    Also, I don't think I can join you at Jake's - I have a standing appointment in Franklin, WI that won't end until 11 AM.
    Are y'all doing anything/going anywhere afterwards?
    A brewery (Sprecher or Lakefront) tour, perhaps? Jelly Belly tour?
    Dinner somewhere - Fred's in Burlington, or the Nite Owl, or Fortune, or Old Carriage Cafe?
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/06 14:28:02 (permalink)
    Oh, I think I'm going to cry!!!!!

Well, I will have to give them a call Thursday to see if they plan to be open Friday.

We weren't planning on anything else, just a nice corned beef/pastrami run. However, if they are going to be open, we can push it back to 11:30-noon so that you can join us? They serve until they run out of meat, and they open at 10. I think we should be ok going at that time, but I could be wrong.

As always, I am open to hearing everyone else's thoughts on this.

ETA thanks for letting us know. I am open for dinner somewhere if Jake's can't be on the menu. My vote would be for Nite Owl, but would like to hear others input as well.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/06 14:36:31 (permalink)
    Keep us posted on the Jake's status. As for evening plans, Mrs. Roadhouse and I would only be available for a lunch get together. I will need to hustle back down to Chicago to work at Burt's that night. Of course y'all could come down our way for a change and visit me at Burt's for a pizza...

Buddy
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/06 14:58:42 (permalink)
    I know it'll come as a shock, but I'm not fond of corned beef, nor pastrami.
    Don't move the time on account of me. As I said, I'd be happy to catch up with the group if y'all are going somewhere else, afterwards.

Buddy - I'd love to come visit. I love pizza.
    We'll have to plan a trip down to you in the near future.

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/06 15:00:18 (permalink)
    Oh, and Nite Owl has my vote, as well.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2715
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/06 19:59:08 (permalink)

Was MFL run over in the crash?

Today's TMJ 4 has a video report here.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/17327549.html
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/07 07:13:52 (permalink)
    I survived the crash. We had a group of Mrs MFL's relatives in town from Ohio and Michigan. I saw that they had Racine kringle, Kopp's frozen custard (loved that macadamia nut), Old Carriage Cafe bureks, Mekato cookies, Filipo pizza, Thai from Thai BBQ, and of course, double jumbo cheeseburgers from The Niteowl. Now what made me take them to those places? Hmmmm. Hope to see some of you Saturday. No double CB pics so here's a single to munch on; btw while we waited for pick-up someone ordered extra fried onions on his doubles. I wonder where they put them?

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 12:45:04 (permalink)
    Jake's update-
    They are open and ready for our Saturday business.
    Mrs MFL and I can be there at any time. Do I understand that 10:30am was the time?
    See whoever then.
    Mike
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 12:52:30 (permalink)
    I'd still like to know if anything is going on after Jake's.
    Keep me posted.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 13:25:43 (permalink)
    If anyone's thinking Kopp's-
    Saturday, April 12, 2008
    MINT CHIP
    A mint flavored custard with dark chocolate chunks

Saturday, April 12, 2008
    BUTTER BRICKLE
    To an old-fashioned custard flavor of butterscotch, we sprinkle in a crunchy brickle, rich with real butter, brown sugar and almonds

Sunday, April 13, 2008
    IMPERIAL TORTE
    Into our custard we add caramel, rum and nougat flavors, then sprinkle in French pastry crust and chocolate flakes. Once a year only in April!

Sunday, April 13, 2008
    RED RASPBERRY
    A natural raspberry flavor with sweet, tart berries

Me, If I'm bad, I'm saving myself for Sunday's Imperial Torte
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8488
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 13:28:59 (permalink)
    MFL-That was my thought-damned the blood sugar for a day.Sunday's Imperial sounds fantastic....By the way-I have to work 11-3 on Saturday-so I wont make the meet.Any chance any of you will deliver to me?
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 14:13:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

MFL-That was my thought-damned the blood sugar for a day.Sunday's Imperial sounds fantastic....By the way-I have to work 11-3 on Saturday-so I wont make the meet.Any chance any of you will deliver to me?

Since I can't make Jake's, I'm up for dinner somewhere....

Anyone? Anyone?

I have a class from 4 - 6 PM, so a 6.30 dinner at Nite Owl, Kopp's, Old Carriage Cafe, etc can be done!

If anyone's interested....??

Bueller...?

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 17:14:58 (permalink)
    I'm torn. Certainly I'd like to see everyone on Saturday at Jake's, but the Kopp's flavors on Sunday look more appealing, to me anyway. Plus we're having a big family dinner Sunday night and I thought I'd run up north, pick up a couple of quarts and surprise everyone with that.

So the quandary is, since Jake's is not open on Sunday, and I'm not going to drive up north twice in two days just for a Kopp's run, what should I do? Also, I would need to leave early on Saturday to get back down to work at Burt's that evening.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Buddy
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 19:09:33 (permalink)
    Sunday meet at Kopps would be a go for me...but by all means,do what is best for the rest of you...I HAVE to have that Imperial Torte!!!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 20:12:38 (permalink)
    Stricken might be heartbroken; Jake's will be open every Saturday but Imperial Torte is only available one day a year! While I can do both, who was/is planning on a Saturday visit to Jake's?

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 20:31:01 (permalink)
    I have to work,so that is my answer.Plus I have the flu-or salmonella.My sister-in-law,a doctor,tells me my vomiting continually,is the flu.I feel so bad i could die.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/09 22:10:00 (permalink)
    Good lord girl. You need some Jake's matzo ball soup; stat!
    stricken_detective
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 01:11:11 (permalink)
    My heart is not broken. I do love my Jake's but you are right, they are there every Saturday. And although I am not above going there without you all, one treat is all I can handle this weekend. So I'm in for Sunday @ Kopp's. Jake's we can reschedule for a later date.

Do we have a headcount for Sunday? What time would this be, ie Buddy & Mrs what time do you need to be back in IL by?

Headcount so far, please correct me if I am wrong:

MFL & Mrs MFL
    Buddy & Mrs Roadhouse
    annpeeples & mr annpeeples

X1?
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 08:55:13 (permalink)
    Depends on the time.
    I have to be in Cudahy no later than 3.30 for a class. I'm done by 6.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 14:58:17 (permalink)
    Just to complicate matters, another scenario occurred to me:

We meet at Jake's as planned on Saturday the 12th, skip Kopp's on Sunday the 13th, and one of our good Milwaukee friends purchases a pint or two of Imperial Torte for us and pops it in the freezer. Then we make a return trip on Sunday the 20th when Kopp's is featuring (if I understand correctly) Pancakes & Maple Syrup custard. On that date we could pick up our Imperial Torte and Pancakes & Maple Syrup custard which we would then bring back down to Chicago for yet another family gathering that evening.

If that's too complicated or convoluted, we will go with whatever the group decides. We would need to be back in Chicago by 2:30 pm on Saturday the 12th; 7:00pm on Sunday the 13th, and 4:00pm on Sunday the 20th.

Sorry to make life difficult,

Buddy
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 15:24:58 (permalink)
    All I know is - I'm gonna be there on the 20th to pick up my own Maple Syrup and Pancakes custard - it is sooooooo incredibly good!!

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 15:27:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

I have to work,so that is my answer.Plus I have the flu-or salmonella.My sister-in-law,a doctor,tells me my vomiting continually,is the flu.I feel so bad i could die.
    So sorry to hear that Ann. Hang in there and I hope you feel real better soon!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 15:40:00 (permalink)
    Buddy,
    I could pick a quart for you but I couldn't guarantee more than a empty container a week later; remember my fix must last me a year.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 19:43:30 (permalink)
    I will be going to Kopps on Sunday -whether we all meet or not-are we talking the Port Wash.Rd location?? And Mfl,what time will you be there? Thanks,Buffetbuster, for the good wishes.I am better today,but still feel like-well, you know!!By the way all, just wanted to report my recent health success-my diabetes, by all the test results, seems to be in control.My Doctor was astounded at my progress in the last 3 months.As a matter of fact,he took me off some of my medication as he feels I have really taken control.WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 19:56:50 (permalink)
    annpeeples, I usually go to the 76th & Layton location but I'd be happy to meet on Port Washington Rd; name a time.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 20:05:07 (permalink)
    I also usually go to 76th Street.
    Where's Port Washington Road? That's not the one off Bluemound, right next to Brennans! grocery, is it?
    stricken_detective
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 20:15:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by X1

I also usually go to 76th Street.
    Where's Port Washington Road? That's not the one off Bluemound, right next to Brennans! grocery, is it?

Noooooo. Port Washington Rd goes from the northside of Milwaukee into Mequon. Is the cross street Silver Spring or Brown Deer?

(There's a Kopp's next to Brennan's, that is Brookfield Rd)

Ann, CONGRATS!!!!!! It's awesome to hear that you have your diabetes under control. Now you can say, "I have diabetes, it does NOT have me!"

What is the group consensus?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/10 21:01:26 (permalink)
    Would be happy to meet at 76th and Layton,my friends.You tell me the time...
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jake's Deli - Miilwaukee 2008/04/11 06:56:28 (permalink)
    I guess this thread should have been labeled Kopp's in Milwaukee. Sunday's offering of Imperial Torte has a history, a history tied into the origin of Kopp's, with Leon's Frozen Custard a part of it too.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The History of Kopp's Frozen Custard begins with Elsa Kopp. Elsa Kopp came up with a concept as revolutionary as it was delicious.

The founder of Kopp's Frozen Custard, she is generally credited with the idea of offering a flavor of the day. That paved the way for the likes of today's flavors, Snickers Chunky Cheesecake frozen custard, and Wednesday's Pink Ribbon, the latter with ribbons of raspberry and white chocolate chunks.

Kopp, an undisputed matriarch in the local custard business for more than 50 years, died of natural causes, in 2003. She was 92.

She opened the first Kopp's Frozen Custard stand in 1950 as a way to support her family after her husband became disabled with Parkinson's disease.

By the 1960's, she was playing with the basic custard mixes -- vanilla and chocolate and then strawberry -- to create new tasty treats. In the earliest days of frozen custard, it was considered heresy to tamper with the purity of the vanilla custard experience, son Karl Kopp said. Elsa Kopp kept working in the family business until about 1998, coming in a few hours at least a couple of days a week. She was still working when a newspaper feature on frozen custard erroneously made reference to the "late" Elsa Kopp.

“I think I'll have a little sundae today,” she would say before leaving work.

“It would be a small one,” Karl said. “A little vanilla custard, a little hot fudge, sliced bananas and a few pecans. And a little bit of marshmallow.”

Even in her last years, as she began experiencing Alzheimer's disease, work was still what was important to her, said daughter Elizabeth Collins.

"What work do you do?" she would ask the nursing staff.” She was always interested in what people did," Collins said. "She had a very, very strong work ethic."

Certainly no one would have predicted that Kopp, who had no real experience in business, would be such a success.

She was born Elsa Moll in Munsingen , Germany , coming to the United States in 1929 when she was just 18. She traveled by boat, then by train to Milwaukee , where an aunt she never met lived.

"She came on her own," said her daughter. "She grew up on a farm, and she really didn't want that life."

Kopp began work as a maid, feeling lonely and homesick until she began taking night classes in English at Whitefish Bay High School . That helped her meet other German immigrants and then her future husband, Karl Kopp, who was a tool and die maker and with the Milwaukee Turners.

"After the three of us were born, my dad became ill with Parkinson's disease," their daughter said. Elsa Kopp next worked other jobs, including at Militzer's Bakery and restaurant. Leon Schneider, of Leon 's Frozen Custard Drive-in, would come in to service the custard machine there.

"With some help from Leon Schneider, she got started in business," Collins said.

She began Kopp's Frozen Custard Stand at 6005 W. Appleton Ave. , using a recipe tweaked the way she like it. She later built the west side apartment building where she raised her family and continued to live until her health began to fail.

"I remember her working every day from 8 a.m. until after midnight , stopping home in between to care for my father and us kids, prepare dinner, and do the household chores," Karl said.

But, for Elsa Kopp, the business of making custard and sandwiches was as much about feeding people as making money. The custard stand was usually open until at least midnight , often 1 a.m. If customers knocked on the door later, it didn't matter that the business was closed.

"She'd turn on the grill again," Karl said.

"No, he needs a little something to eat," she would tell her employees. "We'll make it real quick. We can do that."

Dick "Mac" McGuire, who first knew Kopp while a teenage employee, laughed as he remembered that drill.

"Give that man a burger," she would say. "He's hungry."

"I started there when I was in high school - I was about 15 - about 1964," he said. By then, Karl Kopp was taking over the business. Later, Elsa Kopp wanted to be an owner again, and she and McGuire teamed up to run the original Kopp's location, now the site of Robert's Frozen Custard.

In 1991, McGuire built a bigger custard stand at 18880 W. Blue Mound Road in Brookfield , which he continues to run.

Karl Kopp is the owner at two Kopp's locations - 5373 N. Port Washington Road , Glendale , and 7631 W. Layton Ave. - and Elsa's on the Park downtown.

One guesses who the inspiration for the last one was.

Karl, known for developing his own raft of specialty flavors, long ago created a special flavor in his mother's honor. Offered just one day a year, it is a rather European treat, rich with hazelnut and affectionately named Imperial Torte.

Look for it next year and every year, on the Sunday closest to her April 18 birthday.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sunday, April 13, 2008
    IMPERIAL TORTE
    Into our custard we add caramel, rum and nougat flavors, then sprinkle in French pastry crust and chocolate flakes. Once a year only in April!

Sunday, April 13, 2008
    RED RASPBERRY
    A natural raspberry flavor with sweet, tart berries

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1