The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Jane & Michael coming to your area?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40
jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Thu, 07/10/03 6:39 PM (permalink)
Cincinnati, OH, or actually just outside the county...

Breakfast: Marx Hot Bagels. Great bagels, excellent coffee, slightly deranged attitude.

Lunch: Maya's, in Blue Ash. The world's best Jewish-Bolivian-French restaurant because it's the world's only Jewish-Bolivian-French restaurant. Wonderful soups (Italian Wedding Soup on Tuesdays is a must). Superb salads and stuffed Bolivian pastie/calzone hybrids. And a pastry counter to die for. Or at.

Dinner: hmmmmm....Lots of choices, but because I love real barbecue and there's not much of it here, I'll pick (this time) BBQ Revue. It's in an old Frisch's Big Boy, whence it moved after 13 years as a carryout-only business. Terrific ribs, beef, chicken, barbecued over a slow hickory fire. Sauced with a distinctively spiced brew--do I detect a hit of celery seed? Top-knotch side dishes, including the goopiest Mac-n-Cheese I've ever had. Desserts? Dunno. Never left room. Recently, the owner, who's a railroad buff, bought a 1940's diner car and had it moved to a track in the parking lot. He's having it renovated into a stand-alone ice cream parlor.

Nevertheless, for dessert there's only one choice: Graeter's ice cream. Get one of the chip flavors. Or a sorbet. Or chocolate. Or Peach. Or the flavor of the month. In August, get cocoanut ice cream with bittersweet chocolate sauce--a Mounds sundae. Get a chip wheelie: Chocolate Chip ice cream sandwiched between two chocolate chip cookies. Get a soda. A shake. Just get some.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Thu, 07/10/03 9:26 PM (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    When those gallivanting Sterns rumble down here to Georgia, I'll keep them busy for aeons: The Normaltown Cafe'; The Gateway Cafe; Plantation Buffet; Weaver D.'s; Wilson's Soul Food; Chonnell's; Ms. Sarah;s; Mama Sug's in Winterville; The Silver Screen Grill in Crawford; The Berryman House in Bowman; Vanna Country BBQ in Vanna (all you town freaks: I dare you: find THAT one!); Bar-H Barbecue in Franklin Springs; The Roystonian in Royston; Backstreet Bar-B-Que in Hartwell; Robison;s Bar-B-Q in Monroe; Charlie's in Monroe; The Trackside Cafe in Auburn; Zeb's Barbecue out from Danielsville; Cross Roads Bar-B-Que out from Canon (down the hill a few miles from the Canon Universalist Church); then I'd turn them loose with my Atlanta possibilities. When y'all are coming, let me know. I'll work up a better list.
    Always Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    P. S. Oh, about those w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l onion rings in Anderson, South Carolina

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
      RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Fri, 07/11/03 9:21 AM (permalink)
      Hey Ort, you forgot the Royston Diner, which has great jumbo cheeseburgers (all the way) and Double Bridges BBQ in Franklin Spgs. BTW, I know where Vanna BBQ is and have eaten there many times (but I think it's only open 2-3 days a week). So you owe me one. Zeb's is better IMHO. I'll work on the ATL list for you.

hucknbock

• Total Posts: 26
        RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Wed, 07/30/03 9:55 AM (permalink)
        I live in central Maine, and the problem with getting anybody to come to Maine is, all they want to see is the coast. But on the off chance that they would want to venture inland, here's where I would take them:

Breakfast: Big G's Deli in Winslow. I always have their 3-egg omelets, but if that is only 3 eggs, the chickens must be juiced. I think there is a choice of about 25 items you can request for fillings. Comes on a serving platter with a mess of home fries (that's oversized hash browns for you westerners) and raisin bread toast which is about 1 inch thick and 8 inches tall. My wife always has a "breakfast sandwich," that bears no relation at all to the McD's variety. 50's rock-n-roll decor.

We very seldom eat lunch after a Big G's breakfast, but I might take you back for lunch. They have at least 80 sandwiches named after celebrities, plus about every other combination you would want. My favorite is the "Avocado Montebon" -- seafood salad, bacon, swiss, and avocado. Same size bread, so my wife orders a half portion, eats a 1/4 and takes the other 1/4 home for dinner.

Or if you want variety, we could go to the Purple Cow. This may technically be a chain, since there are two of them, but the one in Fairfield is a typical western cafe (which is not typical in Maine), and where all the blue-collar locals hangout.

For Dinner we would go to the Lakewood Inn in Madison. Lakewood was a thriving artists colony on the Straw Hat circuit back in the 20' and 30's, and the original buildings are still there. The live theater has been going steady all along (I hear they even got air-conditioning last year!), but the restaurant was abandoned for about 10 years before being restored about 3 years ago. The dining room is a glassed-in porch with a wonderful view of the lake. Elegant venue, excellent service, gourmet cooking (or as close as you get in Maine), rich deserts, reasonable prices. I like the Fettucini with shrimp and chicken. If you time it right, you can even go to the stage play afterward.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6226
          RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Wed, 07/30/03 1:13 PM (permalink)
          Come on up to Alaska for roadfood in The Last Frontier. I've never had a bad meal here, the food is great. King crab, halibut, wild salmon, shrimp, ling cod, snapper are superb. Fresh vegetables grown in the Mat-Su valley and moose, buffalo, elk, caribou are excellent. Buckwheat sourdough pancakes are a must while here, maybe with a side of reindeer sausage. Some Katchemak Bay oysters and smoked salmon make a nice snack with a glass of chardonnay. We have driven on every road in Alaska, including the Dalton Hiway to the Arctic Ocean, and have had GREAT roadfood!

Sundancer7

RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Wed, 07/30/03 3:50 PM (permalink)
            LLeechef: Betcha did not find too much road food on the Dalton Hwy. If I recall, that was the dirt road from Fairbanks to the Prudhoe Bay oilfields. If so, I drove up to Livengood cause I thought it must be a town cause it had a dot there on the map. turns out it only had one old piece of a store and was run by and old prospector from Yugoslavia named Sam. Said he got there by dog sled in the 40's.

Paid him $16 for a six pack of bud twenty years ago. Must have been really thirsty that day.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6226
              RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Thu, 07/31/03 1:55 AM (permalink)
              Actually, we did find really good food all along the Haul Rd. (Dalton Hiway). We have some of our pics on the Prudhoe Bay website, one of the better ones was the HotSpot Cafe, just north of the Yukon River Bridge. By the way, once you pass Livengood, it's 414 miles up and 414 miles back........all on a gravel road. It was one of the best road trips ever. At Oil Spill Hill (80 miles from Deadhorse) we luxuriously dined on duck breast, pommes Darphin, fresh vegetables and a great 1989 Chateau Croix de St. Georges. Who says you can't have great food in the Last Frontier??
              check it out: www.prudhoebay.com/photos_Zemanek.htm
              PS. I cheat......I'm an executive chef.

Sundancer7

RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Thu, 07/31/03 5:14 AM (permalink)
                lleechef: I figured you had to do you own stuff cause as I recall, there ain't jack---- on that road except gravel and pretty scenery. I could barely get a bag of chips at Livengood.

As I recall, the trucks that travel that highway only have one speed and that is wide open

Incidentally, I could not open your website

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

ksiegel@mac.com

• Total Posts: 5
                  RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Thu, 08/7/03 1:11 PM (permalink)
                  Here in Tampa Bay, anything goes. I'd recommend El Cap in St. Pete, who claim to have the best burgers in town, and they've been there for about 50 years. Also, The Hurricane on St Pete Beach for excellent grouper sandwiches, the ancient 'n' stinky Coney Island Grill in St Pete for greasy oniony chili dogs and hand-made shakes, the Dairy Inn a few miles north for the best of stand-up/hot weather/low class dog & suds noshes, and always, always, may I recommend Alessi Bakery on Cypress Street in Tampa.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                    RE: Jane & Michael coming to your area? Thu, 09/4/03 7:46 PM (permalink)
                    Dearfolk,
                    I need to amend my outdated post. For a month now I've been eating nearly every day at The Normaltown Cafe' in their new 175 B Tallassee Road location here in Athens. It qualifies as Roadfoodable because it's right down from an exit on The Athens North Bypass (which carries U. S. 29 and 78, and maybe also 129 and 441 at that point). It's also what I would refer to as Sternable because y'all would appreciate it.
                    The best days (to me, anyway) are Tuesday and Thursday... Tuesday they have shepherd's pie (ummmmmm!); Thursday is pot roast day, and you can even add pot roast vegetables on the side. Thursday's homemade creamed corn is too good to imagine. Most everything else runs the gamut from superb to downright heavenly.
                    Since the place is open from 6:00 A. M. until 9:00 P. M. every day, it's a good breakfast stop as well (served until 3:00 P. M. any day, or even later if they aren't real busy and the cook is in the mood).
                    I've found a good 'un, folks, and wanted to share it.
                    Unhungrily, Well-Fed Ort. Carlton in Restaurant-Glutted Athens, Georgia.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com