Japanese Pizza

Author
repartee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
2003/07/11 08:40:36 (permalink)

Japanese Pizza

You all might just get a giggle at the pizza toppings here. Squid, corn niblets and seaweed.

While at home in Vancouver when I visit I make a beeline for Boston Pizza which serves pyrogy pizza with potatoes, sausage, sour cream and scallions.

21 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/11 10:27:08 (permalink)
    Corn Niblets? eww. Do they have a chain there as ubiquitous as say Dominos and Papa Johns here?

I read somewhere that one of the most popular pizzas in Australia is the bacon and egg. That sounds like it might be good, but squid? No thank you!
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/11 11:48:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I read somewhere that one of the most popular pizzas in Australia is the bacon and egg. That sounds like it might be good, but squid? No thank you!

Lone Star,

I did a breakfast pizza this past Sunday for brunch, it was good. I used one of those premade crusts Put on some Herndez salsa scrambled egg on that, crumbled bacon on that and covered with lots of cheese, ran it under the broiler to melt the cheese.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/11 12:18:16 (permalink)
    That sounds great! Hmmm...a new breakfast idea!
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/11 12:59:10 (permalink)
    Red Baron makes a pretty good breakfast pizza, considering it's frozen and microwaveable. They are about 5 inches across, and are topped with eggs and a variety of breakfast meats and cheeses. Not as good as you could make yourself, but pretty convenient.

Repartee - other than the esoteric topping, what's the main body of Japanese Pizza like - ie the sauce, the crust, the cheese? If you ordered a pie untopped, would it more or less resemble something we are used to in the West?
    Craig328
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/12 14:35:16 (permalink)
    Have a cousin that has worked in Japan off and on for ten years. He emphatically states the Japanese will eat the most violist stuff and will pass up what we consider delicacies. Only pizza he can recall is Pizza Hut which has franchises in Japan. Anyone that has watched the "Iron Chef" can attest.
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/12 14:50:05 (permalink)
    Craig - I've watched Iron Chef, and while I agree some of the ingredients used can be pretty exotic, I'd still love to be on the panel and have those chefs cook for me. Some of what they produce looks absolutely palate-dazzling. I'd like to be one of the honored guests, the kind that only eats, but doesn't get to comment. I find the verbal food reviews on that show stilted and insipid. Of course, in fairness, this may be partly the fault of the English translation.

I wonder what kind of a pizza Iron Chef Italian could make for me?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3903
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/12 16:15:01 (permalink)
    Can't believe this website..........it's worth checking out........

http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/12 16:34:03 (permalink)
    The Quattro (with apologies to Suzie) is a great concept. I like the four compartmentalized blue plate special treatment the crust gets. I'm going to try that myself next time I prepare a batch of pizza dough.

I'd say nothing looks unappetizing on that page. Just may seem strange for pizza, but lots of foods seem strange the first time we try them. Well, ok, maybe the seafood and mayonnaise looks unappetizing, but leave off the mayo and even that one I'd try.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/12 17:29:43 (permalink)
    The Quattro does look ok. Actually-----I really like the "Super Joker" on page 2. For a seafood lover like me it works! I will stay away from the one with potatoes and mayo though---------even without a pizza it sounds dangerous>
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/12 17:53:36 (permalink)
    I've found another pizza on that site that would have to go into the unappetizing category. This one uses squid ink in place of the tomato sauce. I enjoy squid ink pasta, but this pizza can't possibly taste good. I know what squid ink tastes like, and it would not work for pizza sauce. Thank goodness there is no cheese on that pizza, else I'd really wanna retch:

repartee
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/13 13:43:14 (permalink)
    Ed, the site's amazing. You've all made the (what seems to me, reading through and albeit a new one) usual pithy comments.

FYI, the potato and mayo is by far the most ordered one at parties and they are surprised when I say I don't like it. After all I am a foreigner and foreigner equals potato, right?

The squid ink one - well, squid ink rules here. The pasta we know but it flavours potato chips and french bread here and a myriad of other things.

Squid I'll take any way I can get it and it's not bad on pizza. Here's one for you (if it's not on the website - in fact the original leaflet is by the phone as I write). It's spiced cod's roe.

Tonight I went to a bulgogi (korean barbeque beef) place. The menu was a hoot. I wrote some of it down. Watch this space!

Re the uninspiring comments on Iron Chef. Trust me, it's not just lost in translation. There are loads of travelogues/cooking/tasting shows. The T.V. "talento" masticates the morsel and announcea after much fanfare "Delicious" with various degrees of disbelief and joy. Speaking of pithy. NOT!

Marcia
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/14 12:42:13 (permalink)
    I guess the interesting part is just the idea of certain combinations. As a squid addict myself I can eat it any way from sushi to cioppino. I'd be more than willing to try it on pizza. Adding starch - such as potatoes just-----seems wrong! I'm game for the spiced cod roe pizza though!
    I love Korean BBQ. To me it's the tapas concept taken even further. I guess part of it's the fun of taking someone who's never been there nwithout telling them that the main course comes with 20 side dishes. The choices are so interesting. My main favorite side is the raw crab i9n chili. BTW, That kimchee pizza looked interesting to me too........
    One thing I haven
    't tried is squid ink. Well, I'll add that to my list of things to check out!
    repartee
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/14 13:00:51 (permalink)
    Ed, All

Pizza it's not, but where would it go.

Here we go - excerpts from the Korean barbeque I went to last night.

1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th stomachs of beef were available.

Pickled guts of codfish

Beef's Muscle of Tongue, not to be outdone by:-

Beef's Muscle of Cheek

Extreme Material (guesses on that?)

Assorted Darknesses (ditto that!)

and my favourite*************

Beef's Midriff (Imagine the cow sashaying around revealing it)
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/14 14:27:32 (permalink)
    Must have been one sexy cow!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/07/14 14:35:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

I guess the interesting part is just the idea of certain combinations. As a squid addict myself I can eat it any way from sushi to cioppino. I'd be more than willing to try it on pizza. Adding starch - such as potatoes just-----seems wrong! I'm game for the spiced cod roe pizza though!
    I love Korean BBQ. To me it's the tapas concept taken even further. I guess part of it's the fun of taking someone who's never been there nwithout telling them that the main course comes with 20 side dishes. The choices are so interesting. My main favorite side is the raw crab in chili. BTW, That kimchee pizza looked interesting to me too........
    One thing I haven't tried is squid ink. Well, I'll add that to my list of things to check out!
    St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/12/31 13:44:16 (permalink)
    I never ate pizza in Japan, but I had a plate of spaghetti once. To my surprise, it came mixed with a large serving of frozen green peas. The sauce wasn't bad, and it was a decent (if unexpected) meal.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/12/31 13:52:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by St. Louis Browns fan

I never ate pizza in Japan, but I had a plate of spaghetti once. To my surprise, it came mixed with a large serving of frozen green peas. The sauce wasn't bad, and it was a decent (if unexpected) meal.

Interestingly enough (or maybe not), this is exactly how my three school-age children eat ALL of their pasta dishes at home allowing both: (a) them to get a serving of vegetables; (b) and as a chosen (by them) means to cool their meals down for eating with their temperature-sensitive palates.

Hence the ubiquitous, Costco-sized bag of peas in I95's freezer.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/12/31 13:55:18 (permalink)
    "Ideal Taste of Sea Goodness and Mayonnaise!" That is up there with Franfurter Spectacular!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6653
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/12/31 15:40:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

"Ideal Taste of Sea Goodness and Mayonnaise!" That is up there with Franfurter Spectacular!

Don't forget the Snappy Mackeral Casserole! It's starting to look more appealing than the Japanese Pizza!
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/12/31 15:50:35 (permalink)
    As if Japanese pizza [sic] isn't bad enough, the small ones are about $15, and the large about $30. That is quite a price to pay for what is tantamount to a technicolor sneeze.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6653
    RE: Japanese Pizza 2003/12/31 22:33:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

As if Japanese pizza [sic] isn't bad enough, the small ones are about $15, and the large about $30. That is quite a price to pay for what is tantamount to a technicolor sneeze.

That's more than I needed to know about the Japanese Pizza.........thanks Grampy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1