Jersey Dog Tour Southern Style

Author
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
2009/10/26 16:43:05 (permalink)

Jersey Dog Tour Southern Style

Since, I've been following the Jersey Hot Dog Tour, seems all trips are North East Side of the State, I see theres plenty of doggers from the the south side of the state, so, i ask, what's hot in dogs ? south of the Raritan River ? Monmouth, Ocean,Mercer, Burlington Counties ? Red Bank, Keansburg,Toms River,Atlantic City,Cape May,Ocean City,Atco,Trenton,Princeton,Middletown,Seaside,Belmar,Freehold and others............. some places have had mention, theres plenty of small mom and pop's, trucks and cart's. let's hear what's Hot in  South Jersey Dog's.

Maybe the next tour can head south and find some Gems in the rough.

4 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Jersey Dog Tour Southern Style 2009/10/26 19:07:25 (permalink)
    It's been many years since I was there, but The Hot Spot on the boardwalk in Wildwood should be considered.  A Greek owned restaurant cranking out delicious dogs.  Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Jersey Dog Tour Southern Style 2009/10/31 10:44:09 (permalink)
    I'm down in Monmouth County and although they aren't my favorite, Max's and the Windmill are quite popular. I like G&G Truck in Red Bank, he serves Sabretts. There's also That Hot Dog Place in Red Bank www.soupmeister.com with wonderful soups as well. I've heard mixed things about JoJo's in Toms River, I ate there once and it was ok, but others seem to like it. Frankly Burgers in Freehold is good and I've been meaning to get back there. Nearby and also in Freehold is New England Hot Dog Co. Now they are a small chain and they have 7 or 8 different dogs and a ton of toppings so my thoughts are they are trying to be everything to everyone. There's Wonder Weiner, a little shack in a parking lot in Bayville on Rt 9, Boardwalk Hot Dogs in Brick, The Old Heidelberg Inn on the Keansburg Boardwalk alhough I think it's changed owners and went downhill from what I heard. There a a bunch of Stewarts Root Beer stands in the area as well. There's an exclosed cart/trailer right off Rt 36 in Long Branch that serves excellent Sabrett's and the owner is a nice guy too. Frankie's Franks trailer in brick, Mickey's truck in Lakewood, and I'm sure countless other seasonal carts, trucks and stands out in warmer weather. Anyone interested in a Central/South Jersey tour, even if it's sans bus and just a caravan of hot dog lovers driving themselves?

Dave
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Jersey Dog Tour Southern Style 2009/11/09 00:02:15 (permalink)

Those are great suggestions you gave... DiPuro ..(aka DAVE),
    I'd also like to add JERSEY JOE'S in the Keyport area, for some killer Italian hot dogs..
    (I've got a Trip Report in here somewhere on them)
    www.jjoes.com   warning: they are closed Sundays in the winter, and close early in the day..

I usually have good experiences at JoJo's, and do still like the joint..
    Once the bread was not super fresh, but I gave them a "walk"that time...

I like Wunder Wiener, a true shack, but their limited hours prevent me from getting there too often.... 
    Their potatoes that they put on their Italian hot dog are nothing special...
    they are just french fries, not the type of potatoes used for Italian hot dogs...
    still, a great mom and pop joint, where you can enjoy your hot dog in the mostly deserted shopping center...(where almost all the stores are out of business)
    This Wunder Wiener is across the street from the only free standing Roy Rogers still left..
    And a few miles further north on Rt. 9 is an EXCELLENT sub shop called RICHARD'S...
    their tuna subs ROCK !!  Always a happening spot.......

I like the grilled style of the Windmill hot dogs, but I wished they served an all beef version..
    just my personal tastes)
    My favorite thing to get at the Windmill is their deeply charbroiled BURGER!
    Had one last week in the Brick Township/Point Pleasant location and it was GREAT!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6191
    Re:Jersey Dog Tour Southern Style 2009/11/09 00:08:40 (permalink)
    Windmill has a great dog...the Long Branch location(an actual windmill) is fun...Max's is a classic and Boardwalk Hot dogs in Brick is superior(a great Schichaus dog!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1