The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Jersey Pork Store's franks win award

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
Jersey Pork Store's franks win award Wed, 08/6/08 7:44 PM (permalink)
I was excited to find out that a frankfurter from a Pork Store in my town of Union, N.J. was awarded 2008 Reserve Grand Champion by the American Association of Meat Processors (AAMP) at the annual American Cured Meat Championship held in Cincinnati July 26th. This distinction went to the German style frank produced by Lutz Pork Store on Stuyvesant Ave. in Union.

The Grand Champion award or first place was decided by only 3 points out of a total of 1,000 possible points.

The contest is held annually by AAMP and judges cured meat products from around the country for external appearance, internal appearance, and edibility (aroma, taste, and texture) There were over 50 entries judged blindly by Master Butchers, staff from the Iowa State Food Laboratory and AAMP officials.

Union is home to 3 European style Pork Stores, Lutz's, Gaiser's, and the Union Pork Store. Fritz's Pork Store closed about 2 years ago. All produce excellent frankfurters, sausages, and other meats. I spoke with someone from the AAMP to find out if some other N.J. meat producers (many that I'm familiar with) were included. Lutz's was the only one from Jersey, which again shows the high quality of Jersey hot dogs.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
    RE: Jersey Pork Store's franks win award Wed, 08/6/08 8:03 PM (permalink)
    Wow,I remember Gaiser's ..they had a store on rt.88 in Point Pleasant back in the 70's. Great meat!!!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
      RE: Jersey Pork Store's franks win award Wed, 08/6/08 8:09 PM (permalink)
      2008 Reserve Grand Champion by the American Association of Meat Processors

Now say that 5 times...fast.

I know a guy who raves about the kielbasa he gets from either Union or Edison. I have a mental block, and mix the two towns up all the time.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com