Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Tommy B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 144
2003/07/30 00:36:17 (permalink)

Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella!

Well, it's just about time for the wonderful "Jersey Tomatoes".
New Jersey's sandy soil is just perfect for tomatoes, and I'm wondering if you've ever enjoyed "Jersey Tomatoes" ?

On a platter, layer thick juicy slices of Jersey tomatoes, with thick slices of creamy, milky slabs of handmade 'fresh' mozzarella,
tear some fresh basil leaves on top, and then finish with a generous drizzling of extra virgin olive oil, fresh ground pepper, and a "bam" of kosher salt. Oh boy, if that doesn't spell "August in New Jersey", I don't know what does.

Any other ideas for Jersey tomatoes, and for Fresh Mozzarella?

50 Replies Related Threads

kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/07/30 01:32:18 (permalink)
    Yes, since this is the pizza forum, I will suggest baking a home made pizza using just mozzarella and no sauce, and then topping the pizza with finely diced Jersey tomatoes, or any fresh roadstand tomatoes in season. I prefer using half standard mozzarella and half fresh, because I feel a pizza made using exclusively fresh mozzarella produces a pizza crust that can be too moist. A drizzling of olive oil and some basil leaves will complete the experience.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/07/30 06:00:46 (permalink)
    Tommy B, what you've just described is exactly what I'd do with them. Jersey tomatoes & mozzrella, a couple of ears of corn on the cob and a skewer of grilled mushrooms is my idea of a perfect summer supper.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/08/04 20:59:06 (permalink)
    RubyRose and TommyB...I would love to have you both over for dinner!! You obviously understand good eating!

Kangolpimp...when you say "fresh" mozzarella, do you make your own? I know this can be done, but have never tried. Is it worth it to make your own?
    RubyRose
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/08/04 22:19:32 (permalink)
    I got my first Jersey tomatoes at the farmers' market on Saturday. The first thing I did was cut up two of them, sprinkle with a teaspoon of dark brown sugar, some kosher salt, stir them up and gobble them down. Then I made just what I described above on Saturday night, along with some french fried eggplant. I put little squares of bacon and onion on the mushroom kabobs. Meowzart, you should have come over and joined us.
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/08/04 23:18:48 (permalink)
    Tommy -- take that salad you described, put it on good bread, and add proscuitto to it -- now that's a fine summer sandwich. Plenty of olive oil so the whole thing is nice and gooey.
    RubyRose
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/08/15 07:13:09 (permalink)
    For all you tomato and basil fans, here is what we had for dinner last night. Our daughter helped a neighbor pick a couple bushels of crabs and came home with about a half pound of crabmeat so we threw that in with a little Old Bay seasoning too.

PASTA WITH FRESH TOMATOES

5 medium-size vine-ripened tomatoes
    1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
    2 or more cloves garlic, chopped
    1/ 2 cup good olive oil
    1/ 2 cup chopped fresh basil
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    1/ 4 Lb. Brie cheese, rind off, cubed
    Linguini noodles

Peel, seed and drain tomatoes. Chop coarsely. Sprinkle with vinegar after placing in a bowl. In a small skillet, cook the garlic in olive oil until softened but not browned. Add to tomatoes; stir. Add basil, salt and pepper. Marinate at room temperature for several hours. Cook linguini al dente; drain. Toss with tomato mixture and cheese cubes. Serve with crusty bread to sop up the juice. Serves 4-6. Note: Fresh mint can be substituted for the basil

NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/09/09 13:25:26 (permalink)
    My favorite fresh tomato recipe:

Cut NJ tomatoes nice & thick. Heat a skillet, melt a little butter & add some olive oil (measurements not important). Cook the tomatoes for a minute or two & then turn them over. Top with the shredded cheese of your choice (I use mozzarella), fresh chopped basil, freshly ground pepper, and serve as soon as the cheese melts.

Try this & you'll be hooked!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/09/09 15:34:55 (permalink)
    One word(spelled correctly or not), BRUSCHETTA!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/09/09 16:40:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy B

Well, it's just about time for the wonderful "Jersey Tomatoes".
    New Jersey's sandy soil is just perfect for tomatoes, and I'm wondering if you've ever enjoyed "Jersey Tomatoes" ?

On a platter, layer thick juicy slices of Jersey tomatoes, with thick slices of creamy, milky slabs of handmade 'fresh' mozzarella,
    tear some fresh basil leaves on top, and then finish with a generous drizzling of extra virgin olive oil, fresh ground pepper, and a "bam" of kosher salt. Oh boy, if that doesn't spell "August in New Jersey", I don't know what does.

Dittos to the way you serve your tomato and whole-milk mozzarella; I can't think of a better way to eat them.

A question; are these the tomatoes that George on "Seinfeld" just HAD to get on that episode which included his date going topless while he was going after the tomatoes, his "shrinking", Kramer finding the lobsters, etc.
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2003/09/19 23:27:34 (permalink)
    As New Jersey tomatoes are still available, does anyone else have any interesting ideas about cooking them
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6317
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 09:40:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NancyPeter

As New Jersey tomatoes are still available, does anyone else have any interesting ideas about cooking them

Just found this very old thread...I went out and looked at my own Jersey tomatoes and our Ramapos are giant sized,but green...likewise our Romas. Romas are slated for homemade Italian "gravy" and the ramapo will make a great BLT....and I like the post about pizza ...I'd use the romas for that...thicker flesh holds up under baking.
    Any other great recipes for tomatoes??????Anyone in NJ have red one's yet???
    By the way, I know this was posted originally in the pizza forum, but it's so old a post from 2003,I just posted my answer where it was.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4545
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 09:55:47 (permalink)
    The best Tomatoes are grown in Coal Country. Sorry Jersey.

http://www.pittstontomatofestival.com/
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 10:29:38 (permalink)
    not sure I'm convinced that the average "jersey tomato" is notable at all. they're bland, watery, and nothing like they used to be (I don't remember them, but I'm pretty sure they're not the same variety as what my grandmother ate). they're picked before they are ripe. stored way too cold. shipped too far. sit under too many lights for too long a time in the store.

why not just buy san marzano or any other good canned tomato for sauce? they're consistent, picked when ripe, and never fail. I'd like to try a sauce cooked with fresh tomatoes, but for gravy with meat and long cooking times, I'd stick with canned. for a quick sauce of fresh tomatoes and basil, well that sounds pretty good to me right about now. but i'd have to go to my backyard or to a good farmers' market where the tomatoes have been picked ripe and are preferably of an heirloom variety, rather than whatever a Jersey tomato is.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 10:41:55 (permalink)
    Fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil from our own pot growing on the patio, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, extra virgin olive oil; food of the gods! We had it for supper last night.

Our version is slightly different, in that we chunk up the tomatoes and cheese, add a bit of balsamic vinegar, and (this is great) toss it all together, and serve it over cubes of good rustic country bread. The bread soaks up some of the juices and flavors of the tomato. We like this meal with a glass of chilled white wine.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 10:41:59 (permalink)
    Tommyeats, don't be surprised if your post generates a lot of responses from ardent supporters of Jersey tomatoes. I lived in NJ for about 8 years and certainly enjoyed the native tomatoes. However, I can't say that they were the best I've ever had. Frankly, that's pretty subjective. My thought is that virtually any garden tomato picked when it's ripe and eaten quickly will be delicious. I'm originally from CT--live there now--and love the tomatoes we get here. Are they better than NJ? Who knows.

I do agree with your comment about San Marzano being a better choice for long-coooking sauces or even a quick Marinara. But, fresh tomatoes, as long as they're ripe, make a perfect "crudo" (raw) sauce for pasta in the summer. No cooking; just toss with cooked pasta. (That spells summer to me. Same with pesto.)
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1632
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 12:12:57 (permalink)
    Last August, our local (Central FL) produce stand had a big sign outside to announce that the "Imported Jersey Tomatoes are in".

Got some & added the Mozzarella, basil & olive oil. Followed that up with the proscuitto & melon.
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 12:13:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ciaoman

Tommyeats, don't be surprised if your post generates a lot of responses from ardent supporters of Jersey tomatoes.

i would hope so. do people post and *not* want to generate thought and responses? i hope not!

i need to get some ramapo seedlings or seeds and see what they do in my yard, and not from the supermarket. too late this year, but next year for sure.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5093
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 12:37:32 (permalink)
    Here in Dallas, we don't see tomatoes from New Jersey. However, for a short period during July, we do get blueberries from New Jersey. They are the very best blueberries grown, anywhere. Better then, Texas, Michigan, California and Florida!
    hutt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 12:45:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow

Here in Dallas, we don't see tomatoes from New Jersey. However, for a short period during July, we do get blueberries from New Jersey. They are the very best blueberries grown, anywhere. Better then, Texas, Michigan, California and Florida!

Yeah, they say it's because of all the pollution there - something to do with nitrogen. I remember how bad it stunk and we'd always have to roll up the car windows when we drove through there.
    I think California has the best produce in the USA.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 12:48:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tommyeats

not sure I'm convinced that the average "jersey tomato" is notable at all. they're bland, watery, and nothing like they used to be (I don't remember them, but I'm pretty sure they're not the same variety as what my grandmother ate). they're picked before they are ripe. stored way too cold. shipped too far. sit under too many lights for too long a time in the store.

why not just buy san marzano or any other good canned tomato for sauce? they're consistent, picked when ripe, and never fail. I'd like to try a sauce cooked with fresh tomatoes, but for gravy with meat and long cooking times, I'd stick with canned. for a quick sauce of fresh tomatoes and basil, well that sounds pretty good to me right about now. but i'd have to go to my backyard or to a good farmers' market where the tomatoes have been picked ripe and are preferably of an heirloom variety, rather than whatever a Jersey tomato is.

Far be it for me to defend things Jersey(HA), but I was not talking about any tomato picked early for sale and stored in a store over time. I was talking about home grown and picked ripe...and they are delicious in my sandy soil! Are they the best? Who knows or cares...they're just delicious...as I'm sure are those picked in gardens across this country.Enjoy the season where ever your tomato garden...
    Glad you're all enjoying this old thread.
    By the way, any one but me try the NEW Ramapo tomato available for the first time in over 30 years,develped in Rutgers U. and said to be superb?...still have a few weeks to find out!!

And also the thick skinned Roma Italian style plum tomatoes make a delicious gravy,quick or slow cooked for hours...with fresh basil and other spices from our garden it makes a perfect quick gravy or delicious slow cooked "Sunday Gravy".
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 13:24:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hutt

quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow

Yeah, they say it's because of all the pollution there - something to do with nitrogen. I remember how bad it stunk and we'd always have to roll up the car windows when we drove through there.
    I think California has the best produce in the USA.

Hut, I'll put our East Texas tomatoes up against any others, anywhere!
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 16:05:26 (permalink)
    I want to know who grows the best tomatoes to make into ketchup to put on a hotdog?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 16:18:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy

I want to know who grows the best tomatoes to make into ketchup to put on a hotdog?

Probably those mass, "factory" tomato farms in central (Modesto area) California.
    Of course, there're turned into tomato paste before processing into ketchup.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 16:19:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NebGuy

Your kidding about the, ketchup on a hot dog, right?
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 16:26:32 (permalink)
    Yes I'm kidding.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 16:36:00 (permalink)
    Whew!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 17:06:41 (permalink)
    No Jersey tomato ever was used in the making of ketchup!!!
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 17:40:25 (permalink)
    Ruby is really one hell of a cook. The more I read her recipes, the more impressed I am. I would not have thought of using Brie in this dish, but it makes perfect sense. The impromptu addition of fresh crab meat is pure genius. Keep them coming, Ruby...I am a fan.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1632
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! 2008/08/02 17:43:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

No Jersey tomato ever was used in the making of ketchup!!!

I want to know what ones go in "catsup".
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1