Jesse's Embers/Des Moines, Iowa

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10516
2007/04/09 12:13:25 (permalink)

Jesse's Embers/Des Moines, Iowa

On Good Friday night, my cousin and I ate at the Jesse's Embers in West Des Moines, Iowa. After we were done eating, a gentleman named Dmitri, with an Eastern European accent, came over and asked how our meals were. We engaged him in conversation and he introduced himself as the owner. Apparently, he has owned the place for about a year now and in a month, he will be changing the name of the place to Irina's, which is his wife's name. He did say that he would be keeping the menu basically the same.

I also inquired about the original Jesse's Embers on Ingersoll and he told me that he believes that place is on the market, also.

3 Replies Related Threads

blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Jesse's Embers/Des Moines, Iowa 2007/07/01 22:18:37 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster,

I just got back from a road trip to Des Moines and stopped at Irina's based on a review in the Des Moines Register. My recommendation to anyone near or traveling to Des Moines: add this restaurant to your must-go-to list.

I started with the Mussels Cioppino- done in a tomato garlic sauce: outstanding.
    I then had the soup of the day, Borscht (go figure, Russian owners) Excellent!
    The bread and salad were average, however, the house dressing, garlic cream, was a winner.
    I had the Russian Pork Kabob for my main course: tender meat, excellent flavor with real garlic mashed potatoes.
    The beer selection favors some fantastic foreign beers. I had a German beer, Can't recall the name, but it comes from one of the oldest breweries in Germany.
    I ended the night with a shot of Stoli vodka Russian-style (pickle, etc). It should have been ice-cold but the drink still went down smooth.

And the best part, my waitress, Elaina, is from Russia. I had a chance to practice my admittedly horrible Russian with her. She even commented that I ate my meal like a real Russian man. I think that means she enjoyed all my lip-smacking grunts of pleasure (or she thinks I'm a slob).

I plan to return with camera in hand and try out not only the Russian dishes again but also the classic Des Moines traditions, such as Steak de Burgoo.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10516
    RE: Jesse's Embers/Des Moines, Iowa 2007/07/04 13:46:32 (permalink)
    blizzardstormus-
    Thanks for the update on the old Jessie's Embers. I was wondering how the transition to the new place went.

I am a little surprised to hear about all the new Russian dishes, since the owner told me the menu would basically stay the same. But, you might as well make what you know best. I look forward to trying it next time I am in Des Moines.
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Jesse's Embers/Des Moines, Iowa 2007/07/04 14:21:11 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster,

The menu seems to have a lot of the Ember's items, only updated with a twist.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1