Jewish Deli in South Florida

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wheelguy85
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2009/01/26 00:04:10 (permalink)

Jewish Deli in South Florida

Looking for a place to go and get a good pastrami/corned beef sandwich in south florida (fort lauderdale area). Something similar to katz in new york with the real brisket, not the national deli **** that toojays uses :)

37 Replies Related Threads

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 00:42:48 (permalink)
    Welcome Wheelguy85.  A katz like place in Ft. Lauderdale?  Anyplace in Florida? Perhaps the Epicure in Miami Beach "might" still make their own corned beef.  In Ft. Lauderdale it's Too Jay's or Pastrami Club  -  Both Slicing Delis 

Forget trying and instead consider some of the other really good options available to you in the area.  Tom Jenkins for one..One of Fla's best "Q" places.  Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza (get their wings, too), maybe Tark's, Original Pancake House (Get the apple pancake), Jack's Old Fashioned Hamburgers (it's not just any old hamburger), etc.  There are many, many more places that others can chime in on....One great bakery - Croissant Time.  A pretty good Greek restaurant on AIA..I think it is called the Athenian?  Been there several times.

Incidently, there was actually once a Carnegie Deli in Ft. Lauderdale, but it went out of business.   Two others also failed in LA and AC. 
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/01/26 00:44:52
    wheelguy85
    Junior Burger
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 00:56:09 (permalink)
    Hey Ben,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm an avid eater and have eaten and/or helped manage many of the places you mentioned :). Jack's is one of my all time favorites.

I'd really love to find a local place that serves up the real corned beef brisket, I went to toojays and like many chain restaurants, they use the national deli meat which is not up to par with me. My search shall continue...
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 05:40:57 (permalink)
    Pomperdale New York Style Deli at 3055 Commercial Blvd., Ft. Lauderdale makes their own pastrami.
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/01/26 10:22:10
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 08:48:01 (permalink)
    Been a number of years since I've been down that way. If it's still there try the East Side Deli on West Atlantic Avenue in Margate. FL. It's in a small strip center on the south side of the Atlantic Blvd., reminded me of the Deli's in Far Rockaway, NY, with Rye bread, Pickles, and Cole Slawn on the tables. The owner was not a youngster so there's no telling if it's still around.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 10:01:19 (permalink)
    MD - Please tell us more.  This is the first I have heard of Pomperdales making their own pastrami.  I have heard of the place though.  Do they make their own corned beef too?  How is it?

I see you said Archies and Richies..ooopps..Nope, the place I recall was Arnies and Richies....

I just went on yahoo.com and searched this place.  MD is the man.."House cured pastrami" I'll be damned.  Said nothing about their corned beef though.    
    Two 2008 reviews on yahoo.  Both 5 stars for the place.  Wheelguy..Let us know what you think. 

Oh, I got a place for you, too. The 44th Street Bakery in the Inverrary area.  It's right off University and 44th.  It is on 44th and heading west on the South side of the street.  It's in a shoppiing center in the corner and right next to it is a roast chicken place with all sorts of Jewish specialty items if you like that stuff. 

The bakery is out west and Pomperdales is east, but if you want t take the ride..Call first!  Make sure they are still there!   Have lunch at Silver Pond or Hong Kong Kitchen while you are out there..

The 44th Street Bakery I have to think is still a legitimate Brooklyn bakery.  They had it all - 7 layer cake, linzer tarts (with legitimate real preserves), ruggalah, Russian Pound Cake loaded with raisins and nuts,  Charlotte Russes, fantastic butter cookies, black and white cookies. etc.  Great rye bread, too.  If you go, please report back.  I would love to know, if it is still good. 

post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/01/26 10:28:01
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 10:22:24 (permalink)
    MD - I just called them.  No, they do not corn their own briskets.  She hesitated when I asked and said "Ahh, we get it sent in and we doctor it up" so is that National?  Who knows.

I asked if they were formerly called Arnies/Archies and Richies and she said they have always been called Poperdales as far as she knew...?
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/01/26 10:29:33
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 10:31:38 (permalink)
    BB, the Archie & Richie's reference was an error.  I first was going to post about Original Phil's on Arthur Godfrey Road, but then I noticed that he specified Ft. Lauderdale

Original Phil's is the new name for Archie & Richie's.  I believe that Ellen4641 went there last year.  They claim that nothing has changed except the name.  As it is tourist season down here, I don't think I'll be by there soon.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 10:35:14 (permalink)
    This listing on Yahoo indicated that the pastrami is house-cured.  

Here is a photo of the homemade corned beef at Arnie & Richie's from Ellen4641's review:

Here is the full review:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=383999&high=
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/01/26 10:48:44
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 19:45:57 (permalink)
    I am totally confused ...Whatever.  The bottom line is these meats look terrific...Thanks for the pictures....

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5076
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 20:23:44 (permalink)
    John A

Been a number of years since I've been down that way. If it's still there try the East Side Deli on West Atlantic Avenue in Margate. FL. It's in a small strip center on the south side of the Atlantic Blvd., reminded me of the Deli's in Far Rockaway, NY, with Rye bread, Pickles, and Cole Slawn on the tables. The owner was not a youngster so there's no telling if it's still around.

John, off topic, I lived in Far Rockaway in 1955. It was, while living there, I watched the Brooklyn Dodgers win the '55 world series on TV.

Now, back to the topic............
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 21:10:49 (permalink)
    try the deli den in hollywood on the ft lauderdale border.  obama stopped there while he was campaigning in south florida and my mom had her picture taken with him (pays to be a little old jewish lady when you live in a swing state).  I think he had the brisket and a black and white cookie, but everything is pretty good.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 21:21:22 (permalink)
    Hey Miami Don! (and Baah Ben, Twinwillow, and new Roadfooder, wheelguy85 !!)

thanks for putting up my corned beef/pastrami pic from ARNIE and RICHIE'S...  (as I was scrolling down the thread, I thought to myself that I should add my sandwich pic, and VIOLA, YOU did the work for me, Don.... thanks! and thanks for remembering my visit there....)

My SUMMARY and FINDINGS were : I LOVED the homemade corned beef , about the best you'll find anywhere...
    they had said their pastrami was National, and it was obvious ,too from the National package I later saw...

SO, I'm a bit suspiscous, although, perhaps with their new Original Phil's name, they also decided to FINALLY make their own pastrami after all these years...
    I'm doubting it;  and what do they really mean by "HOUSE CURE" their pastrami??  Cause since they said to you, Don, that "nothing's changed, except the name", then I guess they ARE still using that National brand pastrami, and perhaps just doctoring it up with some extra spices or somthing...
    (and of course, Yahoo listings are not totally 100% accurate; the yahoo guy might've heard "we add some spices to it", and took that to the next level...)
    (incidently I did'nt really care for that pastrami; it was not horrible, but it was NO match for the corned beef, not even close)

Thanks for taking the initiative and making that call to POMPERDALES today, BAAH BEN!
    (I remember Signman recommended the place to me once, but I did'nt make it there...)
    (yet another doctored up slicer joint, as it turns out)
    (Hey, BAAH BEN, now I see why your e-mails responses to me today have been short......you've been busy working on this neat little thread...!!!
    Your juicy deli thoughts have been applied here, instead of in our  juicy e-mail shop talk) (so I still ended up with my good dose of Baah Ben, I just had to look HERE for it...

CAREFUL everyone, cause I am also finding plenty of delis that will "skirt the truth" a little....
    like the "Irv's Deli" I peaked into today in Neptune , NJ (by Asbury Park) (no relation to Irving's deli in Livingston)
    I suspected SLICER JOINT.... I went in and asked the guy at the counter/grill " Do you make your  PASTRAMI here?"
    His first answer was "Yeah, we make it right here"
    Then I went on to ask "You mean it's actually HOMEMADE, or do you use a particular brand?"
    Then I got the real truth out of him...
    He said "We get it from THUMANN'S, and we cook it up here"
    (basically translates into "we heat it up here")

I found that one usually has to ask the same type of question a SECOND time to get the real bottom line...
    post edited by ellen4641 - 2009/01/27 21:17:20
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 21:28:13 (permalink)
    pmrkr2

try the deli den in hollywood on the ft lauderdale border. 

Matter of opinion..
    I used to like going there around 10 years ago (I particularly LOVED their bread/roll basket) (btw, the pastrami was just "okay"..)(it screamed slicer joint)

Had'nt been there since then, but my friend Robin just went there about 6 months ago....  she had'nt been there in ages either, and said there were new owners now..... (the old ones got out about 5 years ago)
    She was real disenchanted with the place this time around...
    she remembered  it being way better 10 years ago, (but then again, was'nt everything?!? (LOL)

post edited by ellen4641 - 2009/01/26 21:29:27
    wheelguy85
    Junior Burger
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/26 22:10:29 (permalink)
    :( unfortunately they shut down a few years ago, i actually live in margate!

John A

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/27 00:06:03 (permalink)
    ARCHIE AND RICHIE?  ARNIE AND RICHIE?
    Richie really gets around....

House cured pastrami?  Ok, I bit.  Hey, it's clearly noted in the yahoo.com post about the place. Who the "f" knows what they are doing at Pomperdales...Wheelguy may be new to the site, but I have complete confidence he knows a slicer joint when he meats one....So, let's wait for his report. 
    wheelguy85
    Junior Burger
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/27 01:00:49 (permalink)
    I'm battling a nasty cold right now, but as soon as I am better I will be taking a drive over and reporting back!
    gush
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/27 14:32:26 (permalink)
      Pompardale's is OK at best. The Pastrami was fatty. I really like the Marina Deli on SE 17 street in Fort Lauderdale. It's the real deal and I have eaten at some of New York's finest.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/27 20:07:39 (permalink)
    gush

Pompardale's is OK at best. The Pastrami was fatty. I really like the Marina Deli on SE 17 street in Fort Lauderdale. It's the real deal and I have eaten at some of New York's finest.

The flavor is in the fat.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/27 21:16:28 (permalink)
    Baah Ben
    House cured pastrami?  Ok, I bit.  Hey, it's clearly noted in the yahoo.com post about the place.

Arnie and Richies/Original Phils MUST have changed their pastrami ways , in that case......
    (as it was definitely National brand when I was there last year...)
    Unless it's an actual website from the restaurant itself,  I find that words/sentences can get lost in translation ....

Hey, JOHN A: I searched for that East Side Deli place last year, based on your rec.    I figured they were closed when I could'nt get a working phone number.

Looking forward to your deli reports, WHEELGUY...
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/27 21:24:13 (permalink)
    Yes..Wheelguy is the new man on the block and he's got a lot of pressure on him.

I took out my reference to Mario the Baker...Not sure they still have a place on E.  Commercial
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/01/27 21:38:25
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/27 21:52:33 (permalink)
    MY BAD here, as I thought Miami Don's Yahoo "house cured" link was talking about Arnie and Richie's pastrami..
    (which was not house cured)
    Now that I actually clicked onto his link, I see he was referring to the Pomperdales Deli pastrami...(which turned out to be "doctored up" on their part, anyway)
    It was confusing for me, cause right after the Yahoo link was the pic of the Arnie and Richie's sandwich.. so I had just assumed you were talking about them.. (so don't assume, ellen!!) 

I DID find is that it appears that Arnie and Richies is now actually called ROASTERSANDTOASTERS!!!
     ........www.roastersntoasters.com
    Check it out!!!
    I could'nt find much at all on "Original Phil's" name; perhaps they toyed around with it, or used that name very briefly..
    next time you drive by there, check it out, Don..
    looks like they've made major changes the last month or so...

Well, I looked at the menu for Roasters and Toasters...
    there are 3 locations, and the Miami Beach one says "Formerly Arnie and Richies"...
    The menu is proud of their HOMEMADE ROAST BEEF and roasted brisket...
    HOWEVER, for the pastrami and corned beef, it just says
    "hot pastrami or corned beef $10.25".... 
    one would think if it was homemade/house cured, they would be real proud of that , and want to tell us that , too...
    (and NOW it may likely be worse than Arnie and Richie's cause at least they had homemade corned beef!)
    Roasters and Toasters sounds a bit like a TooJay's..
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/28 01:21:55 (permalink)
    I can't wait to get to Irving's or Harold's or Katz's or the Carnegie..That's all I have to say about this "Jewish Deli in South Florida" post..

Wheelguy..No disrespect. 
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/28 05:18:54 (permalink)
    This is like some Keystone Cops treasure hunt.

First, it is/was Arnie & Richie's.  I keep substituting Archie..

This site: http://www.igougo.com/dining-reviews-b123653-Miami-Original_Phils_Deli.html

seems to indicate that it is now Original Phil's.

Roasters and Toasters is a deli in Pinecrest that used to be in Sunniland but now is closer to Dadeland.  I heard somewhere that they expanded to another location or two.  Their web site is down.  The Pinecrest location is very close to my home, so I will stop in and ask about the alleged takeover of [Arnie & Richie's->Original Phil's].

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/28 06:03:17 (permalink)
    Who's on first Too bad about the eastside deli in Margate, it was very good.

Wheelguy85, I recall another place in a strip center a little east of the Eastside. You had to cross a canal to get to it. They told me they made their Corned Beef and Pastrami from scratch.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/28 08:26:20 (permalink)
    The Roasters and Toasters web site came up (I guess the server was down overnight).

Yup, it confirms that the former Arnie & Richie's is now a branch of theirs.

http://www.roastersntoasters.com/Locations.aspx

I don't see anything about homemade or house-cured on the menu. 
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/28 09:28:37 (permalink)
    MD - go to yahoo.com and do a search for Pomperdale's, Ft Lauderdale.  Access the name and up comes a description of their business.  In that text, they mention "house cured pastrami"

This nightmare post could become the next extended "Harold's."  Maybe we should seriously consider doing it in honor of our newest poster....Wheelguy95.  
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/28 09:39:32 (permalink)
    BB:  Yes, that is why I referenced and linked to the Yahoo listing in message #9 in this thread! 
    wheelguy85
    Junior Burger
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/28 11:18:31 (permalink)
    Well guys, I got in touch with Roasters & Toasters because there is one close to my girlfriends house and this is what they had to say:
    "Dear Joseph,
    I am happy to tell you that we prepare and cook our own brisket and it happens to be delicious. I would be happy to say hello to you, so please come on over and introduce yourself.
    Alex Augustine
    Mgr  Roasters "n" Toasters"

I will try and go over there this weekend :)
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Jewish Deli in South Florida 2009/01/28 12:45:52 (permalink)
    wheelguy85
    "Dear Joseph,
    I am happy to tell you that we prepare and cook our own brisket and it happens to be delicious.

So you're best to stick with that BRISKET then! (had a feeling it was homemade due to it being called "roast brisket"...)

So just the BRISKET and TURKEY are homemade, as tends to be the case in delis, while the PASTRAMI and CORNED BEEF are NOT....
    (more work involved with the curing process, I guess)

enjoy! The pressure's on , Joseph, for a compete report back from you! (LOL)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1