Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7771
2011/11/08 08:12:41 (permalink)

Jiggers Diner East Greenwich RI - Update 9/16/12 Grand Opening 10/3/12

I just found out the news this morning
Jigger's Diner in East Greenwich RI was padlocked and repossessed by the bank this past Wednesday.

http://eastgreenwich.patch.com/articles/jiggers-twisted-dogs-close
It appears they are closed for good this time. 
post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/09/16 21:22:52

36 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10227
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/08 08:31:21 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that WJ.  Looks like we are getting our jonnycakes elsewhere this weekend.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 680
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/08 08:32:33 (permalink)
    Hopefully someone else can buy the place and get it going again.  Padlocked diners sadden me.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/08 08:46:40 (permalink)
    IT is all WJ's fault. Him and that darn diet!

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/08 08:56:31 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster

I think Station House or Oatley's would be our best bet

Tony

I guess my commitment to go once a month wasn't good enough to keep them afloat.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/08 10:19:25 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Tony

I guess my commitment to go once a month wasn't good enough to keep them afloat.

Its all about you isn't it?

Oh...my cholesterol is high, oh...I need to lose weight. Meantime a fine institution has to close its doors. You should be ashamed!

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/08 10:32:06 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

wanderingjew

Tony

Its all about you isn't it?

Oh...my cholesterol is high, oh...I need to lose weight. Meantime a fine institution has to close its doors. You should be ashamed!

actually even at my fattest, my cholesterol was still ridiculously low.
    When I ordered Jonnycakes I used to butter up those bad boys, however since I do have to watch my blood sugar, I
    guess not ordering the real maple syrup  was the real culprit  that put them under. " />
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/09 16:34:03 (permalink)
    I have been a diabetic for years

There is somethings you just have to have the REAL thing and maple syrup is one of those things.  I will deal with the high glucose reading and a shot or two, but.....

GIVE ME MY REAL MAPLE SYRUP!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/09 17:21:39 (permalink)
    CajunKing

I have been a diabetic for years

There is somethings you just have to have the REAL thing and maple syrup is one of those things.  I will deal with the high glucose reading and a shot or two, but.....

GIVE ME MY REAL MAPLE SYRUP!!

I know but I don't do shots or medication....and I don't want to tempt fate and start......

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/11/09 18:13:48 (permalink)
    Real maple syrup is hard to replace!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/12/03 08:22:06 (permalink)
    I just found out from my very reliable source that Jiggers Diner has been sold and will re-open under a different name.

The owners of Oatley's in North Kingstown, a very popular breakfast place bought Jiggers. Apparently the menu  shouldn't be too different (Oatley's has Johnnycakes) . I'm very optimistic.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/12/03 14:31:31 (permalink)
    UPDATE

The Chris half of Ayersian and I just left Oatley's
    It's not the owner of Oatley's that bought Jiggers Diner, but the former owner of Oatley's (The owner's ex-wife)
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/12/04 00:10:31 (permalink)
    Hmmm...ex-wife of diner owner buys competing diner.

If they weren't so long in the tooth I'd cast Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in the movie.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2011/12/04 11:00:35 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Hmmm...ex-wife of diner owner buys competing diner.

If they weren't so long in the tooth I'd cast Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in the movie.

Conceptually, that would make an ideal script, however in reality Jiggers (or the Diner formerly known as Jiggers) is a good 8-10 miles away from Oatley's (in Rhode Island mileage terms 1 mile equals 10 miles to the rest of us)  so it's too far away for any competition.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/01/16 10:04:40 (permalink)
    Per the latest update, the Diner formerly known as Jiggers, will get a name change, effective March 2012 when it's slated to re-open the new name will be Jiggers Hill and Harbour Diner, which makes sense since this is the formal name of the Main Street East Greenwich Historic District.
    although the website  doesn't mention that the current owner is the ex-wife of the owner of Oatley's, a previous
    webcache of the website notes that she is in fact the former co-owner.

I look forward to the re-opening. Considering my birthday falls in March, this will be a great gift.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/04/10 22:28:14 (permalink)
    Well, just as I was giving up hope, there's some updates on their face book page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jiggers-Hill-and-Harbour-Diner/326229107391738

Looks like after a few snags they'll be ready to open sometime in early summer.

Their website now has an updated menu

http://www.hillandharbourdiner.com/
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/04/11 05:53:19 (permalink)

wanderingjew

Well, just as I was giving up hope, there's some updates on their face book page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jiggers-Hill-and-Harbour-Diner/326229107391738

Looks like after a few snags they'll be ready to open sometime in early summer.

Their website now has an updated menu

http://www.hillandharbourdiner.com/

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/07/25 09:02:07 (permalink)
    Quick update....

The new owners have been busy working on cleaning/renovating the diner since the second week of June. According to their facebook page, they plan to open sometime in August and will make the official grand opening announcement within the next few weeks.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10227
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/07/25 09:06:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the updates!  You should be eating jonnycakes very soon.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/09/16 21:20:45 (permalink)
    Per Jigger's facebook page
    The Grand Opening will be

October 3, 2012

They will be open from 6:30 AM to to 2:30 PM 7 days a week. Apparently they will be eventually offering dinners too.
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/09/16 21:22:01
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/11/07 17:49:09 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

October 3, 2012

They will be open from 6:30 AM to to 2:30 PM 7 days a week. Apparently they will be eventually offering dinners too.

Finally got around to stopping by.   There was no one seating at the counter.  We sat at the last open booth.  The other booths had just two per booth where all seemed to have their orders.  We immediately received menus, but after another 15 minutes, we left.  No coffee, no nothing.  Not sure what they were doing except talking and walking around.  Not even sure they took anyone  else's order, but one of the servers did total out one check and one person did bus one of the booths.

Never again.  Don't see how this owner will do any better than the previous two at that rate.   It may be a good place to chit chat over coffee for a few hours, but don't expect to get out within an hour.   Hate to be there if they were actually busy.
    post edited by mjambro - 2012/11/07 17:52:08
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/11/07 19:22:33 (permalink)
    mjambro

wanderingjew

October 3, 2012

Finally got around to stopping by.   There was no one seating at the counter.  We sat at the last open booth.  The other booths had just two per booth where all seemed to have their orders.  We immediately received menus, but after another 15 minutes, we left.  No coffee, no nothing.  Not sure what they were doing except talking and walking around.  Not even sure they took anyone  else's order, but one of the servers did total out one check and one person did bus one of the booths.

Never again.  Don't see how this owner will do any better than the previous two at that rate.   It may be a good place to chit chat over coffee for a few hours, but don't expect to get out within an hour.   Hate to be there if they were actually busy.

It seems like I have had a completely different experience than you did.

I've been there at least three times since the "soft opening" with Chi Town Diner.
    Once I went with my girlfriend (who doesn't really eat much) and we sat at a booth (and it was fairly busy and we were in and out in less than an hour)  and the other two or three times I arrived alone and sat at a counter (not as busy) and was in and out in less than 1/2 hour. Service has been nothing but prompt and courteous. 

Although It wasn't necessary at Jigger's, in the past I've had no problem and have never hesitated flagging down wait staff to let them know I'm ready to order, I don't know why others have such  a problem doing this.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8334
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/11/07 19:55:19 (permalink)
    I agree with your last statement, WJ. I always flag down staff when I am ready to order, if I feel I have been ignored or passed over.
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/11/08 14:12:32 (permalink)

"Although It wasn't necessary at Jigger's, in the past I've had no problem and have never hesitated flagging down wait staff to let them know I'm ready to order, I don't know why others have such  a problem doing this. " 

We have at least a dozen places in the area to have a very good to excellent breakfast.   If this latest ownership (3rd in 3 years?) expects to exist, the reality is they will need to compete.  If the service is bad, quality really doesn't matter much.  In this case, they did not appear to be all that busy (seemed to have plenty of help and less than half full), just non attentive.  

Meanwhile, we went down the street and had an excellent breakfast at one of our regular spots.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/11/09 13:57:26 (permalink)
    mjambro

"Although It wasn't necessary at Jigger's, in the past I've had no problem and have never hesitated flagging down wait staff to let them know I'm ready to order, I don't know why others have such  a problem doing this. " 

We have at least a dozen places in the area to have a very good to excellent breakfast.   If this latest ownership (3rd in 3 years?) expects to exist, the reality is they will need to compete.  If the service is bad, quality really doesn't matter much.  In this case, they did not appear to be all that busy (seemed to have plenty of help and less than half full), just non attentive.  

Meanwhile, we went down the street and had an excellent breakfast at one of our regular spots.

Again, in the 3 or  4 times I've been at Jiggers since they reopened  I  did not encounter the same experience that you did. You mentioned they were half full, usually before 9am on a weekend they are, afterwards there is usually a line out the door- it's always been that way. During the week, just about all the morning breakfast spots in East Greenwich are not busy at all.

I live right in East Greenwich- which place is your regualar spot
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/11/10 06:48:00 (permalink)

"Again, in the 3 or  4 times I've been at Jiggers since they reopened  I  did not encounter the same experience that you did. You mentioned they were half full, usually before 9am on a weekend they are, afterwards there is usually a line out the door- it's always been that way. During the week, just about all the morning breakfast spots in East Greenwich are not busy at all.

I live right in East Greenwich- which place is your regualar spot "

It was about 11 am, mid week (actually 10:50 - 11:10).  

For an omelet, basic french toast (or FT with side of fresh fruit - primarily berries when we've had it) or basic eggs & home fries (skip the pancakes / waffles - just OK), our preference is Ed's Roost - Consistently excellent with prompt service & excellent coffee (Richard Allan).   For waffles, it's Buttonwoods fish & chips in Warwick (perhaps an odd choice, but nevertheless excellent with quick, very friendly service - also with Richard Allan coffee).   If headed to the northern part of the state, we'll hold off for Modern Diner in Pawtucket for pancakes and waffles.

Not sure who has the best pancakes.  Up until about three years ago, it would have been Jiggers, hands down, but it's been that long since I've had a decent pancake there.  Same holds for Audra's - excellent pancakes by the previous owner, but sadly lacking (all around) by the newest owner who has evidently gone to cheap (price and quality) - more like the Beacon Diner than the previous Audra's.  

We've found Scrambler's & Breakfast Nook to be decent, but nothing all that special - same holds for Miss Cranston in Warwick (both locations) as well as Oatley's & The Station in North Kingstown.  Been to T's several times, but have never been all that impressed.  Same for Beso's - both more suited for a yuppy lady's coffee group than quality breakfast.  Haven't been all that impressed with Snoopy's, nor the Wickford diner.  There are a few others in the area that escape me right now, primarily because we don't frequent them for various reasons.

Kind of disappointed that Jiggers did not work out.  Was disappointed to find they no longer had their (previous owner's) excellent sausage patty (never did understand links), but was looking forward to trying their "country pit ham" to see if it was anything like the excellent country ham served down south.

Maybe some day when we have an hour or two to kill, we might give them another try.
    post edited by mjambro - 2012/11/10 06:49:57
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2012/11/10 09:43:11 (permalink)
    I just got back from Jiggers. Arrived shortly before 8am. The booths were full, the counter was half full, I was surprised  it was surprised there were that many people there that early. Once again, service was prompt. I ordered the "Jiggers Brunch" special which includes 2 Jonnycakes, bacon and fruit. I was satisfied with my meal. 

I've been to Eds Roost , as well as Scramblers but haven't been there in years. Both were fine but not extraordinary if I recall. Modern Diner is still my favorite breakfast place in RI. I did go to Audra's under the previous owner but only for lunch.  I've been to Oatley's but only for Jonnycakes and Hot Wieners.

Beso's seems to be one of the most popular places in town right now.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2014/01/24 14:09:34 (permalink)
    Well, over a year later Jiggers is more successful than ever, even moreso than under the previous owner. There have been many new menu items and specials. And there are always lines to get in by 9am on the weekends.....Even with many of the new breakfast options along Main Street (which are also doing quite well) Jiggers has not lost their touch....
    The smartest thing they did since the change of ownership was moving the grill from the front of the restaurant to the back behind closed doors. Much less clutter and chaos
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2014/07/04 09:42:32 (permalink)
    Another fine breakfast at Jigger's Diner this morning

Two Jonnycakes (which I already loaded up with butter) with a side of blueberries along with 2 eggs over medium (smart phone photo)

coffee afterwards next door at Main Street Coffee

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2921
    Re:Jiggers Diner is closed again 2014/07/04 11:07:32 (permalink)
    I find it frustrating to need two places; one each for breakfast and coffee.  I often choose my breakfast stops based on the coffee factor also.  Just got back from Labriola which features
    Intelligentsia coffee....along with almond croissants! 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1