Jiggers Diner

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
2005/07/02 10:59:57 (permalink)

Jiggers Diner

Just got back from another fine breakfast at Jiggers Diner in East Greenwich RI. The Pepper Jack Omelette with Spinach, Tomatoes and home made Corned Beef Hash was absolutely delicious. It came with home fries and choice of toast, in my case, whole wheat. The only dissapointing thing about the meal is that the first cup of coffee was luke warm. The last two were served piping hot.

14 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18872
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2005/07/02 11:17:12 (permalink)
    Wow! Now, that's breakfast. In fact, it reminds me of some of the breakfasts they serve at The Shack in East Lyme. That's not too far from you.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10485
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2006/08/01 15:57:00 (permalink)
    wanderingjew-
    I was wondering if you have been to Jigger's Diner lately and what you thought of it. The first time I was there in 2000 I really liked the place. Then, I ate there this past May and came away disappointed. We were the only ones there, the food tasted old and the whole feeling about the place was different. Who knows....maybe they were just having a bad day.

Also, I know you are a big baseball fan. I am going to be in Providence for the weekend later this month and the PawSox will be at home. Is their stadium worth seeing?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2006/08/01 16:08:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

wanderingjew-
    I was wondering if you have been to Jigger's Diner lately and what you thought of it. The first time I was there in 2000 I really liked the place. Then, I ate there this past May and came away disappointed. We were the only ones there, the food tasted old and the whole feeling about the place was different. Who knows....maybe they were just having a bad day.

Also, I know you are a big baseball fan. I am going to be in Providence for the weekend later this month and the PawSox will be at home. Is their stadium worth seeing?

Are you sure you went to Jigger's?
    I've been going there since I moved to RI in 2000 and the food has been nothing short of outstanding as everything is always cooked to order. On weekends there is always a line to get into the place and it's always packed.

McCoy Stadium is a classic AAA park. I was just there this past Sunday. If you do go try to get tickets in advance, you can almost guarantee a sellout crowd on weekends.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2006/08/03 15:44:05 (permalink)
    It was Jigger's Diner alright. I'm glad to hear that it hasn't gone downhill and my experience was an aberration. My breakfast there was early on a Monday morning, which might explain why I had the place to myself. I will try it again in a few weeks when I'm in RI.

Thanks for the tip on getting tix ahead of time for the PawSox. I've been having a great time this summer going to minor league games. Last Sunday I was just outside Cleveland seeing the Lake County Captains, which have the nicest Single A stadium I have seen. This weekend, I am going to see the Auburn (NY) Doubledays at home.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2006/08/05 10:25:55 (permalink)
    I was just at Jiggers this morning, managed to grab the last stool in the house. There were approximately 4 people on line waiting for a booth when I got in.

The specials on the board included Banana Nut Bread with Strawberries and Cream, Steak and Eggs, and Huevos Rancheros.
    I ordered the Jonnycakes. A full plate includes five. Although traditinally they are served with maple syrup, I asked for a side of Rasberry Jam instead.
    As usual they were made to order and delicious. All the diner patrons around me looked pretty satisfied with their meals too.

So Buffetbuster to answer your question, yes the weekend morning crowds are still their and the food is just as good as ever!
    ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2006/08/05 12:56:34 (permalink)
    My wife and I were in your general area last spring, and, like always, went out of our way to find genuine diners. Unfortunately we missed the Jiggers Diner in RI, but we did find a real beaut in Castleton, VT. It is called the Birdseye Diner, and is a restored 1940's "Silk City" diner:

http://www.roadfood.com/Insider/photos/1101.jpg

We missed breakfast there but had the one of the BEST burgers we've EVER had, a "Canadian Bacon Burger" with vermont cheese and all the trimmings.

You folks are lucky to have so many fine diners in that part of the country.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2006/08/21 22:43:07 (permalink)
    wanderingjew-
    I did eat at Jigger's Diner yesterday morning and had a much better experience this time. I got there at a little after seven and the only customers were a few people at the counter. By the time I finished, there was a wait for a seat. I ordered the stuffed french toast with bananas and strawberries, with a side of bacon and everything was really good. I also noticed thy had something interesting called the Vermonticristo, which is french toast stuffed with ham & cheese. Maybe next time!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2006/08/22 18:29:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

wanderingjew-
    I did eat at Jigger's Diner yesterday morning and had a much better experience this time. I got there at a little after seven and the only customers were a few people at the counter. By the time I finished, there was a wait for a seat. I ordered the stuffed french toast with bananas and strawberries, with a side of bacon and everything was really good. I also noticed thy had something interesting called the Vermonticristo, which is french toast stuffed with ham & cheese. Maybe next time!

buffetbuster, glad to hear you had a better experience this time around. At 7am you won't find much of a crowd, however an hour or two later- forget about !

Ya should have e-mailed me! I live 1/2 a mile away!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2010/12/18 10:12:19 (permalink)

Well, I missed the grand re-opening  of Jiggers Diner yesterday and deliberately got up about 1/2 hour earlier than I normally do on the weekend just to ensure a seat at the counter. I walked the whopping 1/2 a mile to get there

When I arrived there were plenty of seats at the counter, however all the booths were taken.
    I was wondering if they were going to have some specials and they did.Here is a sample

There were a few other specials on the board including biscuits and gravy.

I managed to grab a quick photo of the banana bread french toast before the order was picked up

I ordered the homemade corned beef hash. It was fine, but I've had much better elsewhere.  I don't really recall ordering it in the past as a side but usually will request int inside an omelet

As usual- the Johnnycakes were outstanding. I've had them at 4 other breakfast joints in Rhode Island and I still say these are the best! I get mine with a side of butter and raspberry jam, unfortunately they didn't have raspberry so I had to settle for strawberry.

As I left, the place began to fill up and a line began to congregate inside

I'm glad they reopened and vow to have breakfast here - once  a month- as long as they
    are open- diet or not!

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4565
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2010/12/18 13:34:45 (permalink)
    wanderingjew,  Nice update to an old thread.  Why was the place closed?  New owner?

BTW, The pic of the special board looks like it was taken with my camera
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2010/12/18 16:47:00 (permalink)
    joerogo

wanderingjew,  Nice update to an old thread.  Why was the place closed?  New owner?

BTW, The pic of the special board looks like it was taken with my camera

joerogo

Jiggers was  closed down because they were behind on their taxes.
    See the details in the Roadfood Newsletter  news letter under "Johnnycakes shall return"
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2010/12/21 15:26:32 (permalink)
    wanderingjew, would you go into detail about what you love about Jiggers' johnnycakes, please?
    I didn't love the johnnycakes I tried, and I'd love to be persuaded that I didn't encounter them at their best.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2010/12/21 16:54:49 (permalink)
    Ralph Melton

wanderingjew, would you go into detail about what you love about Jiggers' johnnycakes, please?
    I didn't love the johnnycakes I tried, and I'd love to be persuaded that I didn't encounter them at their best.

Certainly Ralph.
    The Johnncakes served at Jigger's. are served "West Bay style" meaning they're plumper and with a smaller circumference than the flatter east bay style. I also find them to be denser and heartier than others I've had at other places with a more pronounced  underlying cornmeal flavor.
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/12/22 08:44:54
    egresident
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Jiggers Diner 2012/12/18 13:37:52 (permalink)
    Had breakfast here during the holidays.  It was OK.  The 'local feel' wasn't there in food or service.  Left me lukewarm - like the coffee.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1