Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News

Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
2008/07/25 11:30:56 (permalink)

Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News

This morning CW 11 News did a few live segments on Jimmy Buff's to recognize July as National Hot Dog Month. A crew was dispatched to their East Hanover location. At various times during their half hour broadcasts between 5:30 and 9:00 AM, Jimmy Buff's Italian Hot Dogs were featured. First they showed the ingredients being cooked in the hot oil and the sandwiches prepared. I was present, but did not hear much of what was being said. I was told that the Italian Hot Dog itself was described as well as the history of Jimmy Buff's, the Originator of the Newark Style Italian Hot Dog.

The live segments continued at the Madison, N.J. Train Station. Commuters were encouraged to sample single Italian Hot Dog sandwiches. Since it was before a lot of people even eat breakfast, many declined. But some accepted the sandwich. It was pretty funny watching Larry Hoff trying to run down people who were trying to catch a train. The last segment can be seen here:

http://cw11.trb.com/news/local/morningnews/wpix-hoffhome,0,2442462.htmlstory

9 Replies Related Threads

fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/25 12:54:31 (permalink)
    I can't see this at work, but was it a full sandwich or parts of a sandwich that he tried to get them to eat?
    John Fox
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/25 13:30:23 (permalink)
    It was what's called a single Italian Hot Dog; quarter of a roll of pizza bread with mustard, one hot dog, potatoes, peppers, and onions. A double is 2 dogs on half a roll of pizza bread. The commuters were just asked to sample the hot dog. They didn't have to eat the whole thing. I had 3 of them myself.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/25 13:44:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

Since it was before a lot of people even eat breakfast, many declined.

I think a few of those would make a mighty fine breakfast.
    Thanks for the video clip.
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/25 18:39:39 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Had an invite to attend at Jimmy Buffs also John but could not make it . Hope you had a good time and got some air time as well .

Benzee
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/25 18:41:31 (permalink)
    quote:

It was what's called a single Italian Hot Dog; quarter of a roll of pizza bread with mustard, one hot dog, potatoes, peppers, and onions. A double is 2 dogs on half a roll of pizza bread. The commuters were just asked to sample the hot dog. They didn't have to eat the whole thing. I had 3 of them myself.

Only three????
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/25 18:53:08 (permalink)
    I just watched it. I saw you on that platform, John! And I think the news guy thought you were part of Jimmy Buff's family! You might as well be. I still remember the taste of the Italian hot dog I had there (well, not on a train platform), and I can't wait to get another in September.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/25 19:15:24 (permalink)
    <<It was pretty funny watching Larry Hoff trying to run down people who were trying to catch a train. The last segment can be seen here:>>

Thanks for the link John. Much as I'd like to have an Italian Hot Dog at 6AM while waitng for a NJT Train, Larry Hoff obviously doesn't have a clue what it's like to commute via public transportation. Reminds me of the Politicians who show up once or twice a year at the Westfield Train station and expect everyone to be happy to see them and shake hands with them at 6AM. And they are not even offering free hot dogs...

John Fox
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/25 19:34:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

quote:

Only three????

After the shoot finished, I had 3 more.

Harriet,

Too bad there isn't a Jimmy Buff's in South Jersey where you are. I remember attending Glassboro State College (now Rowan University) in South Jersey. It was there that I was introduced to Panzarottis. It's been 30 years and I still remember the taste. People up here (North Jersey) have no idea what they are.

Ken,

I think it would have been better to have the shoot later in the day. And at Newark's Penn Station. They did a good job though. I'm grateful whenever a deserving business that provides a good (and original) product with exemplary service is highlighted and given exposure. Anyone watching before 7AM would have been treated to a segment filmed at the restaurant in East Hanover where the sandwiches were being prepared. Hopefully Jimmy can get something up on his site. If you go to http:www.jimmybuff.com and click on enter, you can see the piece that aired on the Travel Channel earlier this year.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Jimmy Buff's on CW 11 News 2008/07/26 09:48:35 (permalink)
    Good point,John, has Jimmy ever considered opening a place closer to the Jersey shore...the population around here certainly would support it...and in the summer tourist season,lines would be long!!!! Wow...there's a dream thought!!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1