Jimmy John's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
2005/11/17 12:34:41 (permalink)

Jimmy John's

We are getting a[url='http://www.jimmyjohns.com']Jimmy John's[/url] sandwich shop on 4th Street between Walnut and Vine in downtown Cincinnati very soon.

Anyone have any experience with this sandwich shop they care to share? The [url='http://www.jimmyjohns.com/PDFs/jj_menu_no_prices.pdf']Menu[/url] looks pretty good

38 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Jimmy John's 2005/11/17 12:47:26 (permalink)
    It might be okay -- but their web site scares me, is a bit exorbitant.

That's a sign to me that it is going to be a place with too many parts motif, not enough parts good food.

But, I aint nver been there.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18874
    RE: Jimmy John's 2005/11/17 13:04:35 (permalink)
    I just checked. There are five of them here in Columbus. And I'd never heard of them before. But, it's a chain, so I expect this thread will be off the home page shortly.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jimmy John's 2005/11/17 13:12:38 (permalink)
    Hard to say, MH.

Some threads are being moved, others are not. It appears almost random.
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: Jimmy John's 2005/11/17 13:51:30 (permalink)
    It positions itself as a step above Subway. The bread is spongy and nasty- the meat is better than Subway, which is the same as saying that dirt tastes better than sand.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Jimmy John's 2005/11/17 20:47:21 (permalink)
    Jimmy John's was started by a local boy out of Elgin, Illinois. Their placement strategy has focused on college towns around the country. The thought being that they would serve high quality "fast food" at an affordable price for students. This philosophy has made them one of the fastest growing chains in the country. when my daughter attended Northern Illinois University she used to swear by them.

That said, I have eaten at Jimmy John's only once. While it was clearly superior to most of the typical chain sandwich places, there was nothing special there; nothing to bring me back for a second visit. If there was a location down the street from my home, with no other real delis in sight, and I really, really, really wanted a sub and nothing else would do, I would go back. Barring all those circumstances though, I'll take a pass.
    Wembly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Jimmy John's 2005/12/06 13:52:28 (permalink)
    Jimmy johns sell their day old bread for $0.25
    At least in the Bowling Green location. Ask them about it they might not have it on the menu.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Jimmy John's 2005/12/06 14:44:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

quote:
    Originally posted by saps

It positions itself as a step above Subway. The bread is spongy and nasty- the meat is better than Subway, which is the same as saying that dirt tastes better than sand.

Way better than Subway. The bread here is much like a baguette. Crusty and chewy. They don't over do it on the condiments. One of the better subs outside of the mom and pop places throughout Ct.

They're not all that fancy. Small eating area, better known for take out. And they deliver which makes us very happy at the office.

I agree, we have 2 here, one within walking distance from my office. Everything always seems fresh, service quick and friendly, prices very decent.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jimmy John's 2005/12/06 16:56:34 (permalink)
    .25 for a hoagie sized loaf?
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/01/25 16:40:44 (permalink)
    I ate at the new one on mason mongomery near fields ertle a cpl of weeks ago. Just to do it. It was ok. Wouldnt go agian unless someone wanted to go there. sad to say but I would rather have subway just because I load up on the topings. sandwich was on the small side and I got the bigger one. All and all tasted ok but very forgetable.
    ricky
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/02/07 11:37:54 (permalink)
    T J, A good friend of mine loves the sandwiches at the location on Mason Montgomery Rd. I havent tried it yet because when Im in the area I usually eat the burritos at Moes. Both of course are chains.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/02/07 11:46:51 (permalink)
    I have carried in from Jimmy John's. While it was a decent sandwich it was nothing special. The most notable feature was that it tasted very fresh. I would revisit if there were nothing else around but it is not a destination for me.
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/02/07 12:57:03 (permalink)
    I like Jimmy John's because they have cappicola which seems to be a rare breed around here. I get the Italian special and enjoy it quite a lot. I also like the fact they deliver. It helps sometimes.
    Yummmmmm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/06/22 16:42:17 (permalink)
    Jimmy John's was originated here in Charleston, IL. It is awesome! The bread is great, WAY better than subway.
    georgiadawgs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/06/23 21:59:53 (permalink)
    I love Jimmy John's, I've ate at locations in East Lansing, MI, OKC, Oklahoma, and Nashville, and every one of them was great.
    The first time I ate there I meant to order some turkey sub or something. I wasn't paying attention and told them the wrong # from the menu and ended up getting a Veggie Sub which is basically some avocado stuff, brussell sprouts, provolone, lettuce, tomato, & oil/vinegar. I took a bite and instantly knew I got the wrong sub, so I went back to tell them. Then that's when I realized I had told them the wrong #. So I was too embarrassed to ask them if they could give me another one, and didn't have any more money, so I just ate it. It was DELICIOUS! Ever since that first time that is the only kind of sub I've ever ordered from there. As a matter of fact I think that is the ONLY thing I've ever ordered veggie.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/06/24 19:18:34 (permalink)
    In my most recent trip to Jimmy John's, I purchased a deluxe roast beef sandwich (I forget their name for it) with extra meat. Not only was there not much beef on the sandwich, which cost over 7 bucks, it was not medium rare as listed, and it had so much gristle I was spitting pieces out with each bite.

I'll admit the bread is fairly good, but you won't see me in there voluntarily again, even though it is one of the closest eateries to my workplace
    ctfrasier
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/06/30 21:52:07 (permalink)
    Jimmy John's sandwiches are pretty good but expensive. My girlfriend and I got two sandwiches, drinks and split a bag of chips and it was $18. Prices may vary from city-to-city the one here in Nashville IS in a trendy, expensive area.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/06/30 21:57:15 (permalink)
    If I'm going to pay big money for a sandwich, I'll get it from the Von's Deli section..their sandwiches (and soups) are a cut above the rest..
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/07/01 16:44:02 (permalink)
    We took a poll in our office. Jimmy Johns came in fourth behind Pot Belly, Subway and Quiznos in downtown Minneapolis. We also have Cousins but we forgot to include them.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/07/05 08:27:23 (permalink)
    I understand that it's well over a hundred grand to set one up, guess that's why they're so expensive. The one here does not seem to do a lot of busines.

John
    Ffreeck
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/08 20:36:16 (permalink)
    Their ok. there's two locations in downtown Detroit. I try a sandwich from the one in the Compuware building. They were ok. However, they don't have anything on Charley's Steakery and Tim Horton's
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/08 21:49:01 (permalink)
    I am on a italian sub jag since my return from Philadelphia, and their #9 (an italian sub, naturally) is really pretty good for a chain-produced item
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/08 22:47:04 (permalink)
    I'm not ragging on the place because it's a chain, but I went on to the website and the "talking head" popped up. This guy doesn't look like someone I would want to buy an Italian sub from. A corn dog or breaded pork tenderloin, maybe, but an Italian sub............no.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/09 01:39:05 (permalink)
    well, what can I say - the website has little do do with the retail product
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/09 20:26:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

well, what can I say - the website has little do do with the retail product

Looks to me like the "talking head" is the owner/founder
    I just noticed the headquarters are in Champaign Illinois. Looks like I hit the nail right on the head that when I said I would buy a bpt or Corn Dog from the guy.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/09 21:21:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

I'm not ragging on the place because it's a chain, but I went on to the website and the "talking head" popped up. This guy doesn't look like someone I would want to buy an Italian sub from. A corn dog or breaded pork tenderloin, maybe, but an Italian sub............no.

Hey! let's have a little more respect for the breaded pork tenderloin.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/09 21:50:15 (permalink)
    quote:

Looks like I hit the nail right on the head that when I said I would buy a bpt or Corn Dog from the guy.

Thanks as always for the useful, topical "contribution".

Folks, welcome to WJWorld. Stay as long as you like, and enjoy the comfort of knowing with 100% certainty that:

a) it is an impossibility for any person, even a lauded culinary expert, to produce an edible version of a given regional specialty unless they do so while present in that region. As an example, italian subs are not a known regional specialty in Illinois, so it is impossible for anyone to even competently produce one there

and also

b) any person living in a given region, regardless of that person's culinary skills or lack thereof, can produce an adequate version of any food item that is a specialty of that region. Ergo, the owner of Jimmy Johns, who quote possibly may have never made a BPT in his entire life, will automatically be able to made a good one should he ever attempt to do so. However, (applying the previosu rule) if he carries the same ingredients 5 feet across the state line into MIssouri, Michigan, or Wisconsin, he loses this ability, as odd as that might seem.

and also

c) one should never eat anything but regional specialities. For example, a person living in Rhode Island should (unless travelling elsewhere) confine their diet entirely to rhode island style chowder and snail salad and suchlike.

and finally

d) food produced by eateries with more than one location is not actually food, and it should not ever be eaten under any circumstances, even if the type of food produced is appropriate to the region, even if one is starving, even if one's mother expresses the wish to have a meal with you in such an establishment on her birthday or on Mother's day

These are all absolute truths in WJWorld, no exceptions
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/09 22:05:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

Looks like I hit the nail right on the head that when I said I would buy a bpt or Corn Dog from the guy.

Thanks as always for the useful, topical "contribution".

Folks, welcome to WJWorld. Say as long as you like, and enjoy the comfort of knowing with 100% certainty that:

a) it is an impossibility for any person, even a lauded culinary expert, to produce an edible version of a given regional specialty unless they do so while present in that region. As an example, italian subs are not a known regional specialty in Illinois, so it is impossible for anyone to even competently produce one there

and also

b) any person living in a given region, regardless of that person's culinary skills or lack thereof, can produce an adequate version of any food item that is a specialty of that region. Ergo, the owner of Jimmy Johns, who quote possibly may have never made a BPT in his entire life, will automatically be able to made a good one.

and also

c) one should never eat anything but regional specialities. For example, a person living in Rhode Island should (unless travelling elsewhere) confine their diet entirely to rhode island style chowder and snail salad and suchlike.

and finally

d) food produced by eateries with more than one location is not actually food, and it should not ever be eaten under any circumstances, even if the type of food produced is appropriate to the region, even if one is starving, even if one's mother expresses the wish to have a meal with you in such an establishment on her birthday or on Mother's day

These are all absolute truths in WJWorld, no exceptions

In TJ Land

a) There is no sense of humor
    b) There is definetely no sense of humor
    c) beyond a shadow of a doubt- humor does not exist
    d) Humor- what's that?
    ------
    1st of all- "Is that an attack??" I believe Mr Mayor already scolded you and told you there would be no flaming

2nd of all- I've already had my experience of ordering Pizza from Blonde Scandinavian Skater Boys in Seattle-
    At least I tried a couple of hundred dozen times during my 3+ years there and they sucked every time

3rd of all- A girl whom I was dating the last few months wanted to go to a new Mexican restaurant here in Rhode Island- I went (begrudgingly) and yes the food sucked and I even had to lie and be tactful which is so against my grain and tell her that "it wasn't bad" (no it was actually awful)- at least I gave it chance-
    and luckily it was before my southwest/Sol Cal Baseball trip, because the food would have probably sucked even more if I went afterwards.

4th of all- you don't know my mother
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18874
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/09 22:06:07 (permalink)
    You want an absolute truth? Here's an absolute truth. Unless you;re going to buy a sub from an Italian grocery store, make your own. I have yet to find an "Italian" sub in a so-called sub shop that can approach within 1,000 miles of what you can make yourself using ingredients found in any decent store.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Jimmy John's 2006/08/09 22:13:02 (permalink)
    Let us say I have a 15 minute break for lunch - not atypical at this busy time of the year in my current position

Let us then say that to drive to the store, buy the ingredients, assemble the ingredients, eat them, clean up, and return to work would take me two hours - if I rush and if traffic favors me.

Let's then also say I can purchase and eat a sub made at a sub shop in under 5 minutes, and I happen to like said sub and find the price reasonable

I should take your advice and go hungry?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1