JoAnn's Chili Bordello

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Burgermeister
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
2006/02/13 11:17:01 (permalink)

JoAnn's Chili Bordello

Does anyone remember JoAnn's Chili Bordello located in Jacksonville, Florida?

Back in the 1980's, JoAnn's was a shrine to good eating and american culture.

Here are a few pics:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=38638

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=38694

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=38693

This was the address and telephone number:

Jo Ann's Chili Bordello
3031 Belden Street
Jacksonville, FL 32207-3713
904-634-8891

80 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2006/02/13 12:03:17 (permalink)
    JoAnn's Chili Bordello was a chain. There was one in Columbus several years ago. It didn't last long.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2006/02/13 12:09:05 (permalink)
    I remember it. We had one down here in Largo, FL. The chili was not that bad.

John
    Burgermeister
    Hamburger
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2006/02/13 12:15:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

JoAnn's Chili Bordello was a chain. There was one in Columbus several years ago. It didn't last long.

Yes, you are right. JoAnn's Chili Bordello was a small chain although I was not aware it had spread as far north as Columbus, OH.

Jacksonville was the original location and was featured on a network TV reality show called Real People.

I know there was an Orlando location as well but never visited that one. I believe the original Jacksonville location survived into the 1990's.

Same general concept more successfully executed is Hooters.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2006/02/13 13:22:03 (permalink)
    I don't really know why the one here didn't make it. I never managed to get there.
    Burgermeister
    Hamburger
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2006/02/13 14:11:48 (permalink)
    quote:

I don't really know why the one here didn't make it. I never managed to get there.

There may be a clue to its failure in your response!

berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2006/02/13 15:17:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Burgermeister

quote:

There may be a clue to its failure in your response!

Or the costumes worn by the serving "wenches" may have caused many wives and girlfriends to disapprove of their hubbies and boyfriends gong there. I don't think it's so much a jealousy thing as they don't like the idea of supporting businesses they think are exploiting women.
    Burgermeister
    Hamburger
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2006/02/13 15:39:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by berndog
    Or the costumes worn by the serving "wenches" may have caused many wives and girlfriends to disapprove of their hubbies and boyfriends gong there. I don't think it's so much a jealousy thing as they don't like the idea of supporting businesses they think are exploiting women.

Doesn't seem to be hurting Hooters.

Speaking of exploitation, appears that Playboy plans to resurrect a Playboy Club in Las Vegas:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/06/news/midcaps/playboy_clubs/

" />
    lgraywolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2007/02/22 10:13:47 (permalink)
    I use to work at the one in College Park that has been closed down. It was fairly busy all the time but I think it was closed due to the fact that was a historical district. I've recently wanted to open my own in Texas. Does anyone have any information for contacting someone on this chain or is the chain even open anymore?

thanks
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5487
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2007/02/25 00:59:53 (permalink)
    A Bordello exploiting women? Whom would have ever thunk it?

MikeS.
    chilly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2007/10/31 16:35:30 (permalink)
    there was also one in manhattan beach, california. great dining experience.
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2007/10/31 16:59:41 (permalink)
    there was one in gainesville florida for a little while. the building is now the local democratic headquarters
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2007/11/02 17:15:25 (permalink)
    They probably selected that Gainesville property because the majority of their members already knew where it was and didn't need driving directions.
    MichaelFL
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2007/11/08 13:22:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bosco lover

there was one in Gainesville Florida for a little while. The building is now the local democratic headquarters

That wasn't the original site!

I owned the restaurant there which was originally located in the Millhopper Plaza by Dorn's Liquors. The Main Street location came after the split-up of partners in the original location.

The franchise was based in Jacksonville, FL, operated by Leonard Doctors and his girlfriend, JoAnn (Imagine that)!

Although somewhat Hooter-esq, JoAnn's was different, not a sports bar, more of an old west bordello; velvet wallpaper, chandeliers, red carpet, etc.

Each location was different but kept true to the bordello theme. We outfitted the girls in lace corsets from Darling Lingerie which they wore over panties with garter belts and hose, but, of course, no see through ... well, not much see through!
    chollyjohn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/04/02 16:50:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Here are a few pics:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=38638

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=38694

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=viewimage&img=38693

Jo Ann's Chili Bordello
    3031 Belden Street
    904-634-8891

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/04/02 16:55:26 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood Cholly! Nice info you dug up, or already knew. Are you a cholly, oh chili, head? :~)
    Joe
    chollyjohn
    Junior Burger
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/04/02 17:05:23 (permalink)
    I lived in JAX in early eighties. I loved the place for it's unique theme. Beer and wine consumption/personwas limited..alot of guyz came from the Base.

I wouldn't compare it to Hooters....no, it was qite unique, in a house, with red canopy over entrance, red lights, host dressed as MADAM and teh girls were cute and sociable. Decor was heavy Victorian, soft golden and red or dim lighting. Diidn't make you feel it was part of any restuarant chain. I thought it was directly on Atlasntic or Beach Boulevard. Think about it, intoday's society something like this beats FRIDAYS or SHONEYS...and yes HOOTERS too. Consider it wholesome to a restaurant with just another Disney Theme at Celebrity Florida.

And today its easy to expand the dining menu beyond just chili. add chil bugers, chile salads, chili soups and chili flavored after dinner mints.

Food is not just nutrition....it's an adventure.

I have tld many friends of that experience back in 1983-84.

Happy Meals but no take-out offered.
    chollyjohn
    Junior Burger
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/04/02 17:08:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MichaelFL

quote:

there was one in Gainesville Florida for a little while. The building is now the local democratic headquarters

I owned the restaurant there which was originally located in the Millhopper Plaza by Dorn's Liquors. The Main Street location came after the split-up of partners in the original location.

The franchise was based in Jacksonville, FL, operated by Leonard Doctors and his girlfriend, JoAnn (Imagine that)!

Although somewhat Hooter-esq, JoAnn's was different, not a sports bar, more of an old west bordello; velvet wallpaper, chandeliers, red carpet, etc.

Each location was different but kept true to the bordello theme. We outfitted the girls in lace corsets from Darling Lingerie which they wore over panties with garter belts and hose, but, of course, no see through ... well, not much see through!

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/04/02 17:54:13 (permalink)
    Wish I had been there! Sounds like a great chili joint!
    Joe
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/04/03 16:40:49 (permalink)
    I guess I will get some flak for this perhaps unnecessarily pure thought. After all, what's not to like about cute girls running around in their underwear?

But since this is a message board for foodies, inquiring minds want to know, was the recipe for JoAnn's chili ever published? Did it have beans? Was it served over spaghetti? What were the toppings? Was it sent to the branches from one central kitchen? Is it still being cooked and sold anywhere today?
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/04/03 17:08:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MichaelFL

quote:

Wow, I've lived in Gainesville for 44 years and never heard of the place. In fact, I grew up just several blocks from the shopping center. Dorn's is still there along with a "Fresh Market", "Northwest Seafood", etc. I must have been out of town the week they were open......
    madamejoanne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 20:37:59 (permalink)
    Does anybody remember JoAnn's Chili Bordello? Man, do I! May I introduce myself: I am known everywhere I go as MADAME JOANNE! It was my distinct honor and privilege to have been hired in l983 to perform at JoAnn's Chili Bordello in Manhattan Beach, California, AND JoAnn's Chili Bordello in San Pedro, California. These were the only two chain locations here in Southern California.

JoAnn's was not your usual theme Restaurant, it was EXCEPTIONAL! It was a play on a Bordello from the Turn of the 20th Century, New Orleans style. When you walked in the front door you stepped back in time to another era, and I got to play the Madame! I greeted customers at the door, and had my own act in which I played the piano and sang. Our two stores were fortunate enough to have piano players and entertainers who were schooled in the Disney tradition, myself included. We took classic naughty blues songs and cleaned them up. We strove to provide a "naughty but nice" atmosphere, no bad language, nothing that could be considered lewd or obscene. It was an "Adult Disneyland!" We were the only stores in the chain who had our own Theme Song, "Show me what you got for sell!"

The menu claimed, "17 Varieties of Chili served in an atmosphere of sin!" We sold Chili dishes named after our "girls!" We kept the place packed, and we catered to everyone, including families, members of the Clergy, Port Police, Businessmen and women, Merchant Seamen, the American Navy and the Australian Navy! I was awarded plaques from both Navies. My Boss, Johnny Lee, once told me, "Joanne, I've known a lot of Sailors who had a woman in every port, but you're the first woman I've known who has a Navy in every port!"

Everyone had fun who went there, repeat business was unbelieveable, and even now, 25 years later, I'm still being recognized and applauded everywhere I go here in San Pedro. I remember one older gentleman who came up to me, laughing and smiling, and said, "I've been to a lot of real Bordellos in my day, but I've never had THIS MUCH FUN!"

You had to be there to appreciate it, and if you had been there you would never forget it!

I have photos if anyone is interested. Any questions? The haughty, naughty, Madame Joanne
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 20:42:18 (permalink)
    WOW!!!! I mean...WOW!!!
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 20:56:55 (permalink)
    Get outta here. This can't be for real.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 20:58:21 (permalink)
    Have we been had?????? 'fes up, someone!
    madamejoanne
    Junior Burger
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 20:58:38 (permalink)
    quote:

Here are a few pics:

Jo Ann's Chili Bordello
    3031 Belden Street
    904-634-8891

madamejoanne
    Junior Burger
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 21:06:19 (permalink)
    It's absolutely real! I'm living proof of that. I've been preparing a tribute website of my own to those glorious days. I tried to view the photos in Burgermeister's original post, but they seem to have expired. Hey, Burgermeister, still got those photos? I have some photos posted on MySpace and Flickr. I was searching for others who might remember JoAnn's Chili Bordello, and when I found this Forum I couldn't believe it! This is just great! I've even got momentos like the original Menu, fan letters, a Review by Elmer Dills, etc. Madame Joanne
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 21:48:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Have we been had?????? 'fes up, someone!

We've been had, but I'm not sure by whom!
    madamejoanne
    Junior Burger
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 22:07:22 (permalink)
    Believe me, if I was "pulling your leg," you would KNOW IT! Ha, ha, ha, LOL! WHY is it so hard for you to believe? Madame Joanne
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: JoAnn's Chili Bordello 2008/06/29 22:24:30 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

Doesn't seem to be hurting Hooters.

Speaking of exploitation, appears that Playboy plans to resurrect a Playboy Club in Las Vegas:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/06/news/midcaps/playboy_clubs/

" />

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the "Playboy Club" is now open in the Palm's Hotel in Las vegas.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1