Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
2009/10/10 11:57:29 (permalink)

Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL

Hi all,

Was just watching an episode of "Man Vs. Food" on the travel channel.  They ran an episode featuring this place.  I had planned on stopping there on a trip back to Wisconsin but only one problem after watching this episode....  How many quarts of 10W30 motor oil do they dump on top of that stuff before they serve it?  That stuff looks like the greasiest stuff that could possibly pass through ones colon.  Just curious if anyone has ever eaten there and how is it?

30 Replies Related Threads

firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/10 12:27:57 (permalink)
    I ate there a few years back and finally stopped having diarrhea about 2 days ago!! My ex father-in-law took me and that is why he is an EX! It was the greasiest chili I have ever eaten or seen and it was just plain hot! No tatse , just HOT!

I went to Springfiled for a few years and had very and I do mean very few decent meals in this town. If you want a decent meal and you are ever in Springfield Il. I recommend Saputo's. It is an Italian place. It is NOT the best I have ever eaten, but certainly had some of the better food I ever ate in Springfield.
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/10 13:02:29 (permalink)
    Firecommander,

Thats what I thought.  It looked very greasy.  Thanks for the tip on the Italian place.  I think I will give it a try. 

Another thing that looked interesting but definitely a gut buster are the "horseshoes" shown on the show.  The place they showed was D'Arcy's Pint.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/10 13:13:20 (permalink)
    I have eaten in Springfield many times, at both D'Arcy's Pint, and Cozy Dog.   Horseshoes are excellent, I usually get the one with a hamburger patty.  If you haven't tried a horseshoe, you should.

I also have been to Cozy Dog several times, and suggest not missing that experience, if that's the only place you go to.

Haven't tried any Springfield chilli yet....it doesn't look like 10W30 to me; probably 5W20, seems a little thinner....perhaps with some transmission fluid added in for color.
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/10 13:20:17 (permalink)
    I've been to D'Arcy's Pint several times and each time have failed to recognize where all the hype about their "Horseshoe" is derived from. In my opinion the sandwich is no more than a small amount of meat placed on a mundane piece of bread, covered with food service french fries, and drowned in somewhat tasteless "cheese" sauce. I will admit that there is quite a bit of volume to the sandwich, which is probably its most appealing attribute. There was a woman on the show last night who raved about the Buffalo Chicken Horseshoe, which I've had, and was less than entusiastic about. Maybe it's just me.....
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/10 14:00:20 (permalink)
    stlouisguy

I have eaten in Springfield many times, at both D'Arcy's Pint, and Cozy Dog.   Horseshoes are excellent, I usually get the one with a hamburger patty.  If you haven't tried a horseshoe, you should.

I also have been to Cozy Dog several times, and suggest not missing that experience, if that's the only place you go to.

Haven't tried any Springfield chilli yet....it doesn't look like 10W30 to me; probably 5W20, seems a little thinner....perhaps with some transmission fluid added in for color.

StLouisGuy,

Yeah I think I was pushing that a bit.  5W20 would be more like it.  In the photo shots they showed it close up after it was ladled into a bowl.  You could literally look through a clear inch of grease before you saw anything solid.  I think they should drain the meat before making the chili or maybe choose a better source of leaner ground meat.  That cozy dog on that episode really looked good though!

Luvstoeat,

I was thinking the same thing when I watched that horseshoe being made.  Iit appeared to be a standard piece of generic toast topped with a standard burger patty.  Then they dumped a boatload of standard krinkle cut frozen fries over the top and dumped what appeared to be a glorified cheeze whiz sauce over the whole thing.  Looks good for a hungry drunk college kid at 2AM but I'm not sure how I would like it.

But that kozy dog did look good....
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/11 22:17:08 (permalink)
    Hey if you people don't like what we eat in Springfield, and the style of food we like very much STAY HOME!
    That's pretty simple HUH?
    Jack
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2009/10/11 22:18:22
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5043
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/12 07:47:34 (permalink)
    I'll be passing through the Springfield area the day before Thanksgiving and hope to have enough time to stop at Joe Rogers', even if it's just for takeout.  The chili in this photo looks fine to me.

However, since I'll still be over 300 miles from my destination I think I'll have the mild or maybe the medium, just to be safe...

Brad
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/12 08:19:10 (permalink)
    Springfield Chili includes Hot Oil.  Here is Buffetbuster's photo of a bowl of it at Joe Roger's Chili Parlor:

Here is a link to the Roadfood.com review of the restaurant by Michael Stern:

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6346/joe-rogers-original-recipe-chili-parlor
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/12 15:18:59 (permalink)
    NC Cheesehead,

As Luvstoeat mentioned, the horseshoe is nothing worth going out of your way for. I've been to D'Darcy Pint and the food was nothing memorable. If over abundance makes up for lack of quality or taste.. maybe, short of that go to Cozy Dog, just for the nostalgia.

Dr. of BBQ,

No insult was intented, but are well earned in the Springfield food scene. Each region of this country offers different food, but I am sorry to say Springfield is a culinary DUMP and short of the Stae Fair, I do and will stay home.
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/12 17:01:04 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ,

Perhaps it would be best if we all stayed home and no longer patronized any business in Springfield....including one really good BBQ stand....
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/12 20:26:42 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ, we are planning a roadtrip in January to the Springfield area to participate in a weekend of chili competition. We want to sample some of Springfield's finest roadfood. In your opinion, who serves the best horseshoe?

We want to hit Cozy Dog, Joe's & the best BBQ in Springfield (are you open in January?)
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/12 23:31:56 (permalink)
    firecommander3565

Dr. of BBQ,

No insult was intented, but are well earned in the Springfield food scene. Each region of this country offers different food, but I am sorry to say Springfield is a culinary DUMP and short of the Stae Fair, I do and will stay home.

What the hell does "well earned in the Springfield food scene" mean.

And you think Springfield food is below you, while you approve of the food at the Illinois State Fair? I think your a food snob.

Further I think you don't understand the food served here in Springfield and you really should stay home. After reading your first post I went to Joe Rogers today and ordered a quart of Medium, with two touches of hot and it was great. And yes we use Suit when we make chilli here in Springfield always have, and always will.

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/12 23:36:02 (permalink)
    Luvstoeat

Dr of BBQ,

Perhaps it would be best if we all stayed home and no longer patronized any business in Springfield....including one really good BBQ stand....

I think you and I think a like. You can stay home also. I'm retired I don't depend on the common every day customers and certainly don't kiss anyone's butt. In fact I think you should read this as posted in my stand window.

The Doctor’s F.A.Q.
    Do you have Fries? NO
    Do you boil the Ribs NO
    What’s the Difference between Pulled Pork and Smoked Pulled Pork NONE
    Do you have Soy based BBQ NO
    We don’t care about your low carb or any other diet.
    Is the Pork Kosher Hell NO
    Why don’t you get a dining room?
    Were waiting for you to invest 50K
    Do you take checks or credit cards?
    No. Hint: if we did prices go up 5 to 7 %
    How come your BBQ is better than mine?
    DIVINE INTERVENTION!

Your question or attitude may make this list.

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2009/10/12 23:43:16
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/12 23:45:11 (permalink)
    Nice list.  Where's, "Do you serve Italian food here?"

Sorry, just had to ask.

Your friend (and you know I am),

Buddy
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 00:10:56 (permalink)
    blizzardstormus

Dr of BBQ, we are planning a roadtrip in January to the Springfield area to participate in a weekend of chili competition. We want to sample some of Springfield's finest roadfood. In your opinion, who serves the best horseshoe?

We want to hit Cozy Dog, Joe's & the best BBQ in Springfield (are you open in January?)

The best Horseshoe in Springfield is a hard question to answer. Rich at Top Cats is a very good horseshoe and he starts with a rue and gets all his cheese (he uses more than one) from Chicago and he uses a french fry that stays crisp which is a great plus. GABATONI’S RESTAURANT has a good shoe, Buddy Roadhouse has had a couple of them, and in my mind their Pizza is a must on a visit.But so is a Top Cat Pizza.

Darcy's Pint is the location that wins all the "Best of Awards", but they promote the hell out the "oh vote for us" every year and I never see any other restaurant doing that, and so they win. But their shoe is good.

I eat a Cozy Dog cheese burger every week and I love their fries. They use a great cheese, in fact I just asked Buz what kind of cheese they used on their cheese burgers.

I eat at Top Cats at least once a week Pizza-Horseshoe-Pork Burger

Cooks Spice Rack has great breakfast but I have never had their chilli.

Krekel's Custard  has good burgers but I never eat their fries, and if I'm on that end of town and hungry that's where I eat.

I don't get to Darcy's much except to take Roadfood people to try a shoe.

From another Roadfood post

Cozy Dog Drive In
    2935 S 6th St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 525-1992

Darcy's Pint
    661 W Stanford Ave
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 492-8800

Cook's Spice Rack & Chili Company
    910 N Grand Ave W
    Springfield, IL 62702
    (217) 492-2695

Joe Rogers Original Recipe Chili Parlor
    820 S 9th St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 522-3722

Krekel's Custard
    2121 N Grand Ave E
    Springfield, IL 62702
    (217) 525-4952

One last thought before you go to Joe's search for a post I wrote about how to order chilli. I think a lot of people that aren't regulars don't understand how to order and just get the Mild, Med, hot, or Firebrand. When in fact you can get any of those with a step up by a touch or two touches of the next graduation of heat. You can also ask that they hold the oil (suit) and or for extra bean juice. It gets pretty complicated but all the old timers have their certain way or ordering chilli.

Yes I should be open baring some giant snow storm or other tragic event. Shoot me an email and I'll be there for sure, and make sure you get more than your fill. Jack@DrofBBQ.com

Where is the chilli cook-off?

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2009/10/13 00:22:57
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 00:12:25 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Nice list.  Where's, "Do you serve Italian food here?"

Sorry, just had to ask.

Your friend (and you know I am),

Buddy

LMAO I posted in the Pro section about that,  it makes me smile even today. And I'm glad your my friend.
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2009/10/13 00:24:27
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 00:14:00 (permalink)
    I do not go to the State Fair for the food, rather the entertainment and animals for my kids. I am sorry you are so sensitive regarding the culinary scene in Springfield, or the lack there of it, but I am calling it as I see it.

If Springfield wasn't the state capitol, it would be just a farm town. A dumpy one at that.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 00:38:04 (permalink)
    Well we have four 4 year colleges and we are the state capitol.

And it's the kind of city that you get to know everyone from the Gov to the dog catcher.

We have a bunch of very good restaurants, and because of the very big insurance companies, state government, city government, and an enormous (and still growing) health care industries we don't have much in the way of ups and downs in the economy.

So I like it and I don't think we will miss your visit much. But if you need one of the best heart care faculties in the country we have it. In fact my friend Doctor Brian Miller is considered one of the best in the world and he and his boys eat my BBQ once a week. Or if you need a new VA clinic we have it. Or if heaven forbid anyone you know is fighting cancer we can help.

In the mean time I'll just wait here. And if you ever need our help we won't care if you like our food, city or people we will still help. Because that's the way we are.

Jack  
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2009/10/13 00:40:49
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6360
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 09:59:57 (permalink)
    firecommander3565

I do not go to the State Fair for the food, rather the entertainment and animals for my kids.

That's equivalent to saying you read Playboy only for the articles.

NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 14:56:01 (permalink)
    Well, I sure as hell didn't expect this to get into a giant flaming match so I apologize if my opinions got everybody into an uproar.  I was just calling it like I saw it.  The chili looked greasy and the horseshoe didn't appeal to me much.  Regardless of this, I'll take the good Dr's advice and remain on the by bypass when I pass by.
    highcard
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 15:36:46 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

blizzardstormus

The best Horseshoe in Springfield is a hard question to answer. Rich at Top Cats is a very good horseshoe and he starts with a rue and gets all his cheese (he uses more than one) from Chicago and he uses a french fry that stays crisp which is a great plus. GABATONI’S RESTAURANT has a good shoe, Buddy Roadhouse has had a couple of them, and in my mind their Pizza is a must on a visit.But so is a Top Cat Pizza.

Darcy's Pint is the location that wins all the "Best of Awards", but they promote the hell out the "oh vote for us" every year and I never see any other restaurant doing that, and so they win. But their shoe is good.

I eat a Cozy Dog cheese burger every week and I love their fries. They use a great cheese, in fact I just asked Buz what kind of cheese they used on their cheese burgers.

I eat at Top Cats at least once a week Pizza-Horseshoe-Pork Burger

Cooks Spice Rack has great breakfast but I have never had their chilli.

Krekel's Custard  has good burgers but I never eat their fries, and if I'm on that end of town and hungry that's where I eat.

I don't get to Darcy's much except to take Roadfood people to try a shoe.

From another Roadfood post

Cozy Dog Drive In
    2935 S 6th St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 525-1992

Darcy's Pint
    661 W Stanford Ave
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 492-8800

Cook's Spice Rack & Chili Company
    910 N Grand Ave W
    Springfield, IL 62702
    (217) 492-2695

Joe Rogers Original Recipe Chili Parlor
    820 S 9th St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 522-3722

Krekel's Custard
    2121 N Grand Ave E
    Springfield, IL 62702
    (217) 525-4952

One last thought before you go to Joe's search for a post I wrote about how to order chilli. I think a lot of people that aren't regulars don't understand how to order and just get the Mild, Med, hot, or Firebrand. When in fact you can get any of those with a step up by a touch or two touches of the next graduation of heat. You can also ask that they hold the oil (suit) and or for extra bean juice. It gets pretty complicated but all the old timers have their certain way or ordering chilli.

Yes I should be open baring some giant snow storm or other tragic event. Shoot me an email and I'll be there for sure, and make sure you get more than your fill. Jack@DrofBBQ.com

Where is the chilli cook-off?

I'll second Top Cats...we stop there on the way to Chicago or Wisconsin and always love their horseshoe.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5043
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 15:37:52 (permalink)
    I think I'd like a horseshoe sandwich topped with Joe Rogers chili and garnished with a half-rack of Jack's ribs.

Brad
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/13 15:55:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.

The cook offs are the weekend of January 17/18. Saturday is at the Greater Forsyth Regional Cookoff, Hickory Pt. Mall, Forsyth, IL & Sunday's cookoff will be at the  Winterfreeze Regional , Knights of Columbus Hall, Springfield, IL. I've been to both in previous years and had a blast.

On a side note, The World Chili Championship was held in West Virginia this past weekend and the winner of the Chili Verde competition is none other than Bob Hall, a Springfield native. Bob was my chili mentor in my early years of competition. There isn't a more deserving winner. The red chili competition was won by Maureen Barrett, another Illinois resident, who has also participated in many a Springfield competition.

It is truly a CHILLINOIS nation.
    post edited by blizzardstormus - 2009/10/13 15:56:45
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/14 11:44:00 (permalink)
    blizzardstormus

Thanks for the info.

The cook offs are the weekend of January 17/18. Saturday is at the Greater Forsyth Regional Cookoff, Hickory Pt. Mall, Forsyth, IL & Sunday's cookoff will be at the  Winterfreeze Regional , Knights of Columbus Hall, Springfield, IL. I've been to both in previous years and had a blast.

On a side note, The World Chili Championship was held in West Virginia this past weekend and the winner of the Chili Verde competition is none other than Bob Hall, a Springfield native. Bob was my chili mentor in my early years of competition. There isn't a more deserving winner. The red chili competition was won by Maureen Barrett, another Illinois resident, who has also participated in many a Springfield competition.

Blizzardstormus,

Thank you for the links.  I think I have spoken to probably 25 people around this country from 25 places who all have their own ideas about how chili should be made and every single one of them I spoke with said theirs is the best.  In Texas, you better not put beans in your chili and it has to be chunk meat only to make a "mean bowl of Texas Red."  And it has to be spicy as well.  In Cincy, you put it on pasta "5 way" and it better be that way only.  In Wisconsin where I grew up believe or not, they actually add macaroni noodles and celery to their chili and nobody ever heard of cumin there.  I have eaten elk chili in Montana, Deer Chili in Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, Chicken Chili and even Fish chili in California not to mention the vegetarian chili (I might add was not quite bad). I have had pork Chili from the Carolina's.   I have had chili with beans, no beans, ground meat, without meat and any doggone thing you can think about.  But one thing is sure.....I have never had chili with an inch of oil on top.  Your couple of chili fests you show as links are from your area.  Like the rest of your flat land corn field nation, I'll pass on through.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/15 23:56:51 (permalink)
    blizzardstormus

Thanks for the info.

That's neat news and I sent your post on to our local newspaper.
    Thanks
    Jack
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/16 00:02:15 (permalink)
    NC Cheesehead

blizzardstormus

Thanks for the info.

Blizzardstormus,

Thank you for the links.  I think I have spoken to probably 25 people around this country from 25 places who all have their own ideas about how chili should be made and every single one of them I spoke with said theirs is the best.  In Texas, you better not put beans in your chili and it has to be chunk meat only to make a "mean bowl of Texas Red."  And it has to be spicy as well.  In Cincy, you put it on pasta "5 way" and it better be that way only.  In Wisconsin where I grew up believe or not, they actually add macaroni noodles and celery to their chili and nobody ever heard of cumin there.  I have eaten elk chili in Montana, Deer Chili in Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, Chicken Chili and even Fish chili in California not to mention the vegetarian chili (I might add was not quite bad). I have had pork Chili from the Carolina's.   I have had chili with beans, no beans, ground meat, without meat and any doggone thing you can think about.  But one thing is sure.....I have never had chili with an inch of oil on top.  Your couple of chili fests you show as links are from your area.  Like the rest of your flat land corn field nation, I'll pass on through.

And we hope you have a safe and speedy trip. But that said, if you get in a jam any where near the "Chilli Capitol of the World" you'll find me in the yellow pages or my cell phone is 217-685-1333 and all you have to do is call and half of Springfield will turn out to help you. Just, be gracious, and don't mention our food to anyone.
    Jack
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/17 15:21:02 (permalink)
    Davydd,

Well I do not read Playboy and IF I did it would be for the articles... I am more of a Hustler fan!.

State Fair food is rarely anything notable. Mainly it is crap that will be served at some other fair ground in a week or two. I prefer my food to be quality and hopefully quantity, but certainly not ordinary.

Springfield as a town is not the worse, (Gary, Indiana holds that title, maybe Detroit) but I still stand by my reviews of the above mentioned food. It may have the State  Capitol and a couple of "no name " colleges, but all in all it is not worthy of more that a stop for gas on the way to another destination.
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1560
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/17 16:07:48 (permalink)
    Firecommander

I'm not a big fan of the horseshoe, but I can see where is has a place in people's hearts (and their arteries as well).  It's ignorant and rude to assault Springfield's culture, and it's easy to sit on a  There are plenty of people who enjoy Joe Rogers' and horseshoe sandwiches.  I'm not sure what makes you the arbiter of what is good food in Springfield, but then again, since you are a reader of such a classy periodical as Hustler, and consider to Manny's to be a good deli (Picked up a whole bunch of dry roast beef sandwiches for a football game a couple of years-never again), I need to realize that you are a man of fine taste.

There is good local food there, such as Krekel's and Cozy Dog.  Also, the Abraham Lincoln Museum is quite fascinating- I'm not a history buff, and I wasn't originally interested in going, but I learned quite a bit about attitudes toward Lincoln and thought it was a great experience.

firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe Rogers Chilli Parlor Springfield IL 2009/10/17 19:01:55 (permalink)
    saps,

Well I appreciate your comments, as you are entitled to them, but my remark about Hustler was tongue in cheek, I haven't seen a couple in at least a decade. But that said...

As far as me being ignorant or rude, that my dear saps is your opinion which means little, but I think many would beg to differ. 

I have been to Springfield numerous times that that is where my opinions came from, experience, so knowing the definition of ignorant I guess that rules that out. Rude? Quite possibly, but others call that brutally honesty, I confess to that.

I am sorry you did not enjoy you sandwich from Mannys, but judging from the lines at lunch time they must be doing something right.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1