Joe's Crab Shack - Butter

Author
jra64
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2010/06/09 14:27:25 (permalink)

Joe's Crab Shack - Butter

Hey, I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post this question =).

Anyways, I just went to Joe's Crab Shack for my birthday and the butter was soooo good!  I had their king crab legs and I was just wondering...

Does anyone know what they do to make their butter / crabs so tasty?  I have never yet had seafood right off the boat (I am planning on that one day) and I've read a lot of negative things about Joe's, but man that was some of the best seafood I've ever had.  I guess it's because of my limited experience, as there are very few places I have crabs at in my town =).

Thank you for your responses =)!

EDIT:

Also, I eat at a buffet sometimes that serves crab legs that aren't quality.  They usually don't have that 'salty' taste, but sometimes they put out some crab legs that taste really good (not as good as joe's, but still pretty good).   Anyways, was wondering why most of their crabs don't have juicy salty taste (don't really know how else to explain it) but usually they have a very, bland and not so good taste.  I hope that makes sense!

Thanks again!

EDIT 2: 

There seems to be a lot of confusion with my question.  Basically I'm asking:

Joe's Crab Shack:  Does anyone know how their butter is made?
Hong Kong Buffet:  Does anyone know why sometimes their (unknown type) of crab is really juicy and succulent, and sometimes it's VERY bland, and doesn't taste like anything at all?

Thanks.
post edited by jra64 - 2010/06/10 08:33:28

17 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/09 14:41:56 (permalink)
    jra64

Also, I eat at a buffet sometimes that serves crab legs that aren't quality.  They usually don't have that 'salty' taste, but sometimes they put out some crab legs that taste really good (not as good as joe's, but still pretty good).   Anyways, was wondering why most of their crabs don't have juicy salty taste (don't really know how else to explain it) but usually they have a very, bland and not so good taste. 

How are they spelling the word "crab" at that buffet?
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/09 14:50:41 (permalink)
    not much at red lobster is fresh, so, right there is one of the major differences between it and this joe's place (if, that is, joe's offers fresh-caught seafood).

as for the butter, well, red lobster doesn't even use butter!!!  they use 'butter-flavored' oil for the dishes that normally would use clarified butter (melted butter) and they also have a margerine/oil blend thingy that they use on the vegy's or if you ask for additional butter.

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/09 15:15:37 (permalink)
    Is this a local joint that just happens to have the same name as the large Joe's Crab Shack chain, or is this a location of the aforesaid chain?
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2010/06/09 15:26:25
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/09 16:25:59 (permalink)
    In your post, you mention:

king crab legs
    crabs
    crabs
    crab legs
    crab legs
    crabs

Are you referring to three different things, or do you mean king crab legs in all of them?

I believe that king crabs are processed and frozen on the boat, so essentially nobody in the Lower 48 is going to have "fresh-off-the-boat" king crab legs.  Perhaps the differences that you note are due to the way that they are heated, or that not all of them are the same species.  King crab is a family of similar species.  I know that there are golden, red and blue, and they don't taste the same.  Maybe the cheapo places use Patagonian Emperor Crabs (I'm just making that one up, by the way).

At a buffet, who knows how they have been handled, etc.
    jra64
    Junior Burger
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/10 08:29:23 (permalink)
    enginecapt

How are they spelling the word "crab" at that buffet?

The place is called "Hong Kong Buffet" and I'm not sure what kind of crab it is there.  I actually went back there yesterday and the 'unknown crab' was as good as it can be at a buffet, but it is never consistent.  They spell the word 'crab' just like any other place, why?

joclyn
    not much at red lobster is fresh, so, right there is one of the major differences between it and this joe's place (if, that is, joe's offers fresh-caught seafood).

as for the butter, well, red lobster doesn't even use butter!!!  they use 'butter-flavored' oil for the dishes that normally would use clarified butter (melted butter) and they also have a margerine/oil blend thingy that they use on the vegy's or if you ask for additional butter.

Hey joclynn.  Nah, the 'drawn butter' isn't that good at red lobster.  I'm not talking about the butter at red lobster at all, sorry for the confusion.  I'm talking about the butter from Joe's Crab Shack =D.

TJ Jackson

Is this a local joint that just happens to have the same name as the large Joe's Crab Shack chain, or is this a location of the aforesaid chain?

There seems to be some confusion.  There are two places:

Joe's Crab Shack:  I just want to know how they make their butter here.
    Hong Kong Buffet:  The buffet in which the crab legs' taste is inconsistent as mentioned in the aforementioned post.

In your post, you mention: king crab legs crabs crabs crab legs crab legs crabs Are you referring to three different things, or do you mean king crab legs in all of them? I believe that king crabs are processed and frozen on the boat, so essentially nobody in the Lower 48 is going to have "fresh-off-the-boat" king crab legs.

There are two places:

Joe's Crab Shack:  King Crab Legs
    Hong Kong Buffet:  Some sort of Snow Crab

I'm positive they aren't fresh off the boat as I'm in Texas in a smaller town where Texas Tech is.

I just want to know they make the butter at Joe's Crab Shack and the second question was if anyone had any idea why the crabs at Hong Kong Buffet sometimes had a very bland taste, and sometimes a very juicy taste.

Thanks again =).
    post edited by jra64 - 2010/06/10 10:28:35
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/10 09:55:47 (permalink)
    jra64
    There seems to be some confusion.  There are two places:

Joe's Crab Shack:  I just want to know how they make their butter here.
    Hong Kong Buffet:  The buffet of crabs which is inconsistent aforementioned post.

I remain confused. 

With apologies for asking again (and I can see you are new here, so this isn't intended to give offense) is the Joe's Crab Shack you are asking about a local eatery that just happens to have the same name as the big chain, or are you talking about one of the locations of said big chain?
    jra64
    Junior Burger
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/10 10:23:15 (permalink)
    It's part of the big chain.  If it was a local eatery, I probably wouldn't post here as no one except for Lubbock would know what the butter even tastes like =D.  No problem ask anything, I just want to know how they make that butter =D.
    post edited by jra64 - 2010/06/10 10:26:35
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/10 16:30:25 (permalink)
    sorry!!  i wasn't clear enough/detailed enough in my response.

joe's probably uses REAL butter and that's why it tastes so good - especially compared to the stuff you get at red lobster because that isn't butter at all.

nothing beats the flavor of clarified butter.  even if the butter, itself, isn't of the highest quality (and there are differences in quality level!! ) it's still going to be darn good when it's clarified properly!!

i can't really help with the crab leg question as i only like chesapeake blues and don't eat any of the other types of crab.  although, even without first hand knowledge of that particular type of crab, i'd say the difference in the flavor is two-fold.  well, maybe three-fold. 

first, general quality of the product.  second, how it was stored before cooking.  third, how it was cooked - if steamed with something other than plain water, it's going to have more flavor.
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/10 16:32:48 (permalink)
    info about clarified butter
    jra64
    Junior Burger
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/11 08:24:47 (permalink)
    Thanks joclyn, best response I've gotten =D.

Just to make sure...  REAL butter and Clarified Butter are the same thing, right?

I'm gonna clarify my own butter very soon.  Use clarified butter to cook my tilapia, lol =D.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/11 09:59:29 (permalink)
    Clarified butter is made from real butter, just the milk fats are removed; hence it is clarified.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/11 12:40:56 (permalink)
    jra64

There are two places:

.......and the second question was if anyone had any idea why the crabs at Hong Kong Buffet sometimes had a very bland taste, and sometimes a very juicy taste.

Thanks again =).

In one way, you really answered your own question:
    King Crab  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_crab  are completely different crab species from Snow Crab  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chionoecetes   (It is just like you shouldn't expect the meat from a guinea pig to taste like the meat from a pig.)

As far as the varying taste at the Hong Kong Buffet, I would guess that, just like at many Chinese buffet restaurants, they are buying whatever snow crab legs that they can get for the lowest price.  Sometimes they will be fresher; sometimes they may have been kept frozen for a longer time; sometimes they may have been sitting longer thawed-out in the buffet's cooler; maybe sometimes you might even be getting snow crab that already sat out on yesterday's buffet and was re-refrigerated overnight.  (I am sure the flavor will change over time, and by how the crab legs have been handled.)

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/11 14:18:19 (permalink)
    6star

jra64

There are two places:

.......and the second question was if anyone had any idea why the crabs at Hong Kong Buffet sometimes had a very bland taste, and sometimes a very juicy taste.

Thanks again =).

In one way, you really answered your own question:
    King Crab  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_crab  are completely different crab species from Snow Crab  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chionoecetes   (It is just like you shouldn't expect the meat from a guinea pig to taste like the meat from a pig.) 

Ah, but guinea pig, or cuy, is a wonderful peruvian dish.
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/11 17:17:06 (permalink)
    jra64

Thanks joclyn, best response I've gotten =D.

Just to make sure...  REAL butter and Clarified Butter are the same thing, right?

I'm gonna clarify my own butter very soon.  Use clarified butter to cook my tilapia, lol =D.

milw already answered it...yup, real butter is used to make clarified butter, so, they're one in the same, yet different ;) .  milk fats and water content are removed during the clarifying process and this leaves you with pure butterfat.

did you read the whole wiki thing?  besides telling what it is and how to make it (super-easy, btw), there is also info about using clarified butter for cooking (it's not just for dipping lobster into) as well as what cultures regularly use clarified butter as their normal cooking oil.  you can also infuse it with various herbs/spices and then use it as a condiment or as a saute agent.

i do an infusion of herbs in the clarified butter and add it to cooked rice - yum!  also use clarified butter infused with garlic for sauting aspargus - another yum!  and to saute shrimp for scampi - much better than using cooking oil as is the usual for that recipe...
    jra64
    Junior Burger
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/12 09:57:35 (permalink)
    I am so glad I found this website!

Thank you all =).

Oh also, my mother cooked some crabs that she got from the market yesterday.  Weren't bad, but weren't great, either =D.  Anyways I told her I wanted to clarify some butter for the crabs, but she wanted to do it (not clarified) I can definitely taste the difference!

Thanks guys.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/12 11:16:20 (permalink)
    JRA64--did you ASK them? may just be the easiest way to find out!
    AND 
    on clarified butter-----if you let butter slowly melt you will notice that the fats float--the clear oil like liquid under them is "Clarified"--meaning--the milk solids are taken out of the butter--nothing to it---alot of restaaunts just put 5lbs in a round steam table insert first thing in the am an let it sit on the warm stove top then stick a ladle in it--you don't even need to remove the solids as when you lift the ladle--(a SMALL ONE btw)-it will be full with the clarified butter and the solids just move aside as you lift it.
    post edited by tiki - 2010/06/12 11:17:56
    jra64
    Junior Burger
    Re:Joe's Crab Shack - Butter 2010/06/12 13:18:53 (permalink)
    Hi Tiki =D.  Yes I did ask them, and they didn't know if it was clarified or not (I asked them specifically).

My waiter was new, I asked him to ask the people in the back, and he said they didn't know either, unless he never asked and was just being lazy =).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1