John Fox in the News

Author
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
2011/07/03 08:11:09 (permalink)

John Fox in the News

I don't know if anyone else posted a link yet but here's a link to a news article where John shares his expertise on the ultimate American food! 
http://www.northjersey.com/food_dining/124902344_Hot_dogs__the_ultimate_American_food.html?c=y&page=1

11 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8515
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/03 08:56:30 (permalink)
    Nice shout out to John!!! But i had problems getting OFF the link-had to restart my computer. Hopefully it was a fluke on my end...
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/03 09:07:42 (permalink)
    Hummm .... I thought I was the only one that eat Kimchi on my Hotdog.     .... gooood ....   and I make my own kimchi ....
    agnesrob
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/03 09:16:19 (permalink)
    Ann, I hate when that happens. I just tried the link and it seemed to work fine for me. I hope your computer is OK.
    agnesrob
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/03 09:17:07 (permalink)
    edwmax

Hummm .... I thought I was the only one that eat Kimchi on my Hotdog.     .... gooood ....   and I make my own kimchi ....

Ed, could you post the recipe that you use?
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/03 10:51:41 (permalink)
    Hello all,
    No contact info in the article for the Hot Dog Tour that I saw in the article
    Another nice mention for John
    Benzee
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/03 11:50:14 (permalink)
    Anne, my browser announced that it had edited the page to "prevent cross-site scripting."  I guess they are doing something they shouldn't?
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/03 11:52:30 (permalink)
    agnesrob

edwmax

Ed, could you post the recipe that you use?

At $4 to almost $5 for a pint jar of kimchi, I've started making my own.  It's just too darn easy to make.    I don't have a written recipe that I stick to.   ... Kimchi like many other recipes are to the maker's taste.     .... Currently I'm unable to get daikon radish and some other asian vegetables, so my kimchi is the basic Napa Cabbage, spring onions, garlic and ginger.    ... You could add thin sliced turnip, carrots and other American type vegetables.     .... My wife doesn't like the the Kimchi hot, so I've been going lite on the chili pepper.    Ground chili pepper & the little whole peppers from the Mexican section works just fine.  Sriracha sauce too.

I cut up the napa cabbage and salt with 1 or 2 tbs and let stand over night in a zip-lock bag or jar (when using left over fresh cabbage in frig).  Then add to the kimchi jar (1 gal square jar ??) in the frig.    Add salt water to cover the cabbage as required.   Make the salt water until it taste like sweet sea water (not salty water); about 1 or 1 1/2 tbs salt to qt of water.  I don't use vinegar or sugar in kimchi.   .... There are many kimchi recipes on the net, so start with the basic and add to your liking, salt shrimp, fish sauce, soy sauce   .... If the kimchi is tooo hot, rinse the pepper off in the juice, your soup, or small bowl of water when you eat it (not hot).   Why can't I get my wife to understand this, so i can kick the heat up?????   ....  The juice is good to drink too.

John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/04 06:53:50 (permalink)
    When the reporter spoke with me she asked if she could include the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour in the article. I told her I hoped she would. She then asked if there were seats available so that readers of the article could attend. I said that there are still seats left on the bus and I gave her Benzee's name. She already had his e-mail and said she would include his name and contact info. I explained his role in making the Tour happen and went into detail. Unfortunately there was only a brief mention of the Tour.

It's been my experience whether being interviewed for an article or being a part of a television show that only a small portion makes the final cut. In this case I don't know whether it was the editor's decision not to include a lot of what was discussed, but I had been expecting at least more than a passing mention of the Tour as well as Benzee's role and contact info.

The reporter's e-mail address was included. Hopefully those reading the article will contact her if they are interested in attending the Tour. After the article appeared in the Star Ledger last year after the Tour, I found out that there were readers who contacted the writer to find out how to attend for this year.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3309
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/04 07:33:41 (permalink)
    Congratulations, John!

CSD
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/04 08:19:12 (permalink)
    Nice article John! I agree, the reference to the Hot Dog Tour was vague, at best. First of all, it didn't say wherher it was weekly, monthly, annual, or what.

The good news is that all anyone would have to do is do a Google search for "New Jersey Hot Dog Tour" and several postings on Serious Eats and Roadfood turn up on top. From there they can find contact information etc. Anyone who can't figure out how to do that probably wouldn't be interested in learning about different hot dogs,  or different anything, for that matter.
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    Re:John Fox in the News 2011/07/04 21:41:40 (permalink)
    Hello all ,
    I'm used to the media  by now having had to deal with them  while working for the NYPD and now  on the promoting end .
    Any mention of the tour is appreciated and in this day and age a simple search on the computer and you can find out the contact info .
    Benzee
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1