Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Johnny Rockets'

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35
QFan

• Total Posts: 641
Johnny Rockets' Fri, 05/6/05 12:42 PM (permalink)
Just discovered there is a Johnny Rockets' nearby in Ft Myers (apparently it's been there quite awhile; I just didn't know about it). Went to the restaurant search on the toolbar above and could find nothing on JR's. Anybody out there in RF-land want to tell me how they are. I'm always on the prowl for another good burger joint!
QFan
Bonita Springs, FL

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
    RE: Johnny Rockets' Fri, 05/6/05 12:44 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

Just discovered there is a Johnny Rockets' nearby in Ft Myers (apparently it's been there quite awhile; I just didn't know about it). Went to the restaurant search on the toolbar above and could find nothing on JR's. Anybody out there in RF-land want to tell me how they are. I'm always on the prowl for another good burger joint!
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

If you like noise you'll like Johnny Rockets.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
      RE: Johnny Rockets' Fri, 05/6/05 12:54 PM (permalink)
      I used to eat at one on Chestnut Street in San Francisco all the time until I got sick to my stomach three times in a row. It's probably limited to that location, but if you have trouble, you know someone else has too.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: Johnny Rockets' Sat, 05/7/05 2:23 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by michaelgemmell

I used to eat at one on Chestnut Street in San Francisco all the time until I got sick to my stomach three times in a row. It's probably limited to that location, but if you have trouble, you know someone else has too.

I've eaten at the one on Fillmore a few times over the years without problems but I wouldn't go out of my way to go back (though I WOULD eat there if I happened to be in that 'hood at mealtime).

mar52

• Total Posts: 7608
          RE: Johnny Rockets' Sat, 05/7/05 10:10 AM (permalink)
          Used to have one on my corner but the Northrige Earthquake brought it down.

They had okay hamburgers, great chocolate malts and wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches.

I remember the hamburgers being small.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
            RE: Johnny Rockets' Sat, 05/7/05 10:27 AM (permalink)

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
              RE: Johnny Rockets' Tue, 05/10/05 12:05 PM (permalink)
              Some Royal Caribbean cruise ships have one on board. They have been very popular, in fact too popular. To cut down on the long lines they have added a surcharge to eat there. The hamburgers on the Lido Deck buffet are the same, but as one poster mentioned, some people like the noise.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                RE: Johnny Rockets' Tue, 05/10/05 11:33 PM (permalink)
                Tasty, but a lot like Red Robin in that you don't get much for your money. (Not quite as little as Red Robin, but still not worth the big $$$.)

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
                  RE: Johnny Rockets' Wed, 05/11/05 1:19 AM (permalink)
                  I remember going to one a couple times in Laguna Beach. . . right across from the beach. My son was about 15 or 16 at the time and he loved it. . . .very good fries and shakes. He and I were staying with an old friend and touring So. Cal. for a week or so back in 98 or 99. I was dieting or trying to eat healthy or some such silliness at the time and I remember they had really good veggie burgers.

IansMom

• Total Posts: 394
                    RE: Johnny Rockets' Wed, 05/11/05 7:19 AM (permalink)
                    I've eaten at the one in Laguna, the Chesnut branch in SF and the one on Newport on the Levee in Newport KY.. not bad but too noisey as most everyone mentioned.. it's a cute little place but I still think Mom and Pops are better...

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
                      RE: Johnny Rockets' Wed, 05/11/05 8:19 PM (permalink)
                      Not bad food but very touristy. There is one in Opry Mills mall here in Nashville. Some people must love it because there's almost always a line. I ate there once and the food was okay but I wished the staff would stop dancing and singing and just get me my food. But children seem to really love the place and the entertaining waitstaff.

swillard

• Total Posts: 11
                        RE: Johnny Rockets' Sun, 05/22/05 4:06 PM (permalink)
                        I love Johnny Rockets. A couple of locations here in Columbus. I usually eat at the one at Lennox Town Center. Great food everytime and fun music. It is loud though. Friendly wait staff too.

They have the best turkey burgers in town! :)

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                          RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 05/23/05 12:13 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by IansMom

I've eaten at the one in Laguna, the Chesnut branch in SF and the one on Newport on the Levee in Newport KY.. not bad but too noisey as most everyone mentioned.. it's a cute little place but I still think Mom and Pops are better...

I believe the NOTL location has closed. Some kind of disagreement over $$$.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                            RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 05/23/05 12:50 AM (permalink)
                            I don't mind chains, but if they don't have good food and excellent service (my local JR's doesn't) then I can't recommend them.

tmiles

RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 05/23/05 10:42 AM (permalink)
                              I stopped by the one in the Providence Place Mall yesterday. They were rated as the "best" chocolate shake in Providence, so I wanted to try one. My wife and I thought it was excellent. Our 15 yr old daughter thought it was below average.

elswinger

• Total Posts: 57
                                RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 05/23/05 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                Bad service if you are by yourself. Very pricey for what you get, and about the dryest burger I have ever had.

plb

RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 05/23/05 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by elswinger

Bad service if you are by yourself.

That's true, even if you sit at the counter.

bjanuary

• Total Posts: 16
                                    RE: Johnny Rockets' Sat, 03/11/06 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                    Johnny Rockets markets itself as though it has the quality of a Steak 'N Shake or In-'n-Out. It doesn't. Very overpriced. Kind of a funny taste in your mouth. Better than the big chains, but not by much.

Sundancer7

RE: Johnny Rockets' Sat, 03/11/06 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                      I have run into them at airports on occasion. Unfortunately in airports, there is not a huge choice. If you are in a hurry and need a mediocre sandwich, I guess they are OK.

Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                        RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 03/13/06 4:08 PM (permalink)
                                        I think the novelty of the 50's diner is what keeps this place alive, and the fact that the food is made to order, as opposed to other FF joints. And I had a burger at JOhnny Rockets that I felt was better than Steak-N-Shake.
                                        However, since going to the DC areas small chain called the "Silver Diner," Johnny Rockets, Steak-N-Shake and any other burger joint, chain diner, and the like just doesn't compare. The food at the Silver Diner is consistantly good and the service is generally excellent.
                                        So, if you're ever in the DC area, please, I implore you to skip Waffle House, Johnny Rockets, and ANY FF place or other diner and try out Silver Diner.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
                                          RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 03/13/06 4:15 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Scorereader

I think the novelty of the 50's diner is what keeps this place alive, and the fact that the food is made to order, as opposed to other FF joints. And I had a burger at JOhnny Rockets that I felt was better than Steak-N-Shake.
                                          However, since going to the DC areas small chain called the "Silver Diner," Johnny Rockets, Steak-N-Shake and any other burger joint, chain diner, and the like just doesn't compare. The food at the Silver Diner is consistantly good and the service is generally excellent.
                                          So, if you're ever in the DC area, please, I implore you to skip Waffle House, Johnny Rockets, and ANY FF place or other diner and try out Silver Diner.

If the food is cooked to order, how can it be called a "fast food joint"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                            RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 03/13/06 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Greymo

quote:
                                            Originally posted by Scorereader

If the food is cooked to order, how can it be called a "fast food joint"? Inquiring minds want to know.

It's not really FF, but it is a corporate chain and falls in more or less the same catagory. Waffles House, which is also not really "fast food" also falls in this catagory (according to the moderaters)
                                            I'll concede that it's a step up from FF and even Denny's and Perkins. But my real point is that it doesn't hold a candle to DC's Silver Diner. So, when you're here, skip Johnny Rockets.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
                                              RE: Johnny Rockets' Mon, 03/13/06 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                              Greymo, "cooked to order" can also get a new meaning in FF. I walked into a Burger King so I could use the bathroom. It was late, I was the only one there and no one at the drive thru window. I ordered a Whopper and 30 seconds later I heard a microwave go on. A light bulb wen't off in my head where I heard they "flame broil" but just not maybe within hours of when you show up so I reacted quickly and I said "Could I get I fresh patty cooked" The guy said sure and went in back and came out and said it will take a few minutes. I said take your time and it was definitaly better than it would have been.

wesleyman

• Total Posts: 57
                                                RE: Johnny Rockets' Thu, 04/6/06 3:53 PM (permalink)
                                                i was in Indianapolis for the final four and ate right next to coach tom izzo of Michagan State at the johnny Rockets there in the mall.

tmiles

RE: Johnny Rockets' Thu, 04/6/06 4:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  I had another chocolate shake this past weekend at the Providence (RI) Place Mall this past weekend. The shake was excellent. It was made with milk, scooped vanilla ice cream (sort of soft) and chocolate syrup. Even if JRs is a chain, the shake is the real thing.

They were verrry busy and there was almost too many people working to not get in each others way. Nine people in about 400 sq ft. They were doing about 5.5 people a minute with an average check in the $10 range.

As I was waiting a lady came up and barged in front of me and said very loudly, "I said no pickles". The clerk said, "I'm sorry, we will make you another,,,,exactly how would you like it?" She says, "you should have known better, and you should hire better quality people" "I'm sorry, but we want to make it right" "Because you were too stupid to make it in the first place". At this point for no real reason, I whispered to the guy next to me , "I only get mad when they won't fix my problem". He laughed and said that in a lifetime in the business, you realize that some people just go out to be the boss or to get to treat people in a way that would never be socially acceptable elsewhere. I'll never meet him again, but whoever he was, he was a smart guy.

As for the lady, if there is such a thing as karma, she had a bad day at work on Monday...lol

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                    RE: Johnny Rockets' Thu, 04/6/06 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                                    My wife and daughter like to frequent the one in the mall in Syracuse. I met them there one night after workign late in the office and had possible the saltiest..mayonaissiest chicken sandwich I've ever had...

They like the burgers and fries...My daughter had a vanilla shake and didn't like the taste...it did taste sort of marshmellowy

startrooper00

• Total Posts: 110
                                                      • Location: west liberty, KY
                                                      RE: Johnny Rockets' Thu, 04/6/06 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                                      I have had some really good experiences at Johnny Rockets in that past. Mostly with food quality... They charge a premium price and I wouldn't mind if it was a premium product, but it isn't. I do enjoy the shakes though!!!!

octopus

• Total Posts: 264
                                                        • Location: Clifton Park, NY
                                                        RE: Johnny Rockets' Fri, 04/7/06 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                                        There is a Jonny Rocket's locally however never felt compelled enough to actually venture in and sit down. Too bright too noisy, too much in general. I just doesn't appeal to me.

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                                                          • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                                          RE: Johnny Rockets' Sat, 04/8/06 3:25 AM (permalink)
                                                          I eat at the one by the Fox Theatre in Detroit before the shows I see. I like the fries & onion rings, but the burgers are small. Shakes are good though.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                                            • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                            RE: Johnny Rockets' Sun, 04/16/06 5:17 PM (permalink)
                                                            Johnny Rockets best suits age 10 and younger, IMO...

yes, you're right, Octopus, very noisy, , too bright, and just mediocre burgers......

I usually just see families with kids; perhaps the milkshakes brings them in...

There's one now on the Atlantic City boardwalk, fronting Bally's Casino......it replaced the Sbarro's there....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com