The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Tue, 03/6/07 9:44 AM (permalink)

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Tue, 03/6/07 12:33 PM (permalink)
    I don't understand- this restaurant has been in operation for 79 years, and they closed it down without warning because the sink was in the wrong spot? There's either something seriously missing from this news report, or the Department of Health has run amok on a restaurant-closing spree since their embarrasing bad press last week regarding rat infestations.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Tue, 03/6/07 12:40 PM (permalink)
      Pretty sad they had to shut it down during the dinner rush.. Personally, I don't know the whole story there, but I agree with Pigiron, NYC health department got a real bad slap in the face last week.. Too much too late.

Tony Bad

RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Tue, 03/6/07 2:53 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Pigiron

I don't understand- this restaurant has been in operation for 79 years, and they closed it down without warning because the sink was in the wrong spot? There's either something seriously missing from this news report, or the Department of Health has run amok on a restaurant-closing spree since their embarrasing bad press last week regarding rat infestations.

I think the latter is true...and they picked a notable place so people would pay attention. If they closed someplace no one heard of it wouldn't be on the news...or here!

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
          RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Tue, 03/6/07 3:01 PM (permalink)
          I suspect Prince, er, Mayor Bloomberg has ordered the closing of all restaurants that aren't really, really expensive.

All those pizza joints and fast food places are taking up valuable space that could be filled with high-end, high-rent spots for people who can afford to dine out.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
            RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Tue, 03/6/07 6:29 PM (permalink)
            I like the one in Times Square much better.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
              RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Tue, 03/6/07 9:13 PM (permalink)
              As with all broadcast media news reports on the current NYC restaurant health violation scene, this news report from a all-news radio station is short on details. Even worse is the Department of Health itself. As I type this, it still has the results of a May 26, 2006 report on its web site giving the restaurant a score of 6. The lower the number, the better. The citywide average is 13. The failing grade is 28.

The print media has been providing more details. From an editorial in today's New York Post:
              ===
              "Fact is, there isn't a restaurant in New York City - hell, in the world - that could stand up to a rule-book inspection conducted by someone with an embarrassed and angry boss.

Yes, John's Pizzeria "failed" because it had more than 100 rodent droppings. But the so-called "book" allows inspectors considerable latitude.

According to the rules, a restaurant can fail an inspection - and still remain open if it corrects its violations by the time of a follow-up "compliance" inspection.

Yet John's was shut down on the spot."
              ===
              In New York, the owner of a closed down restaurant always talks about one "mox nix" violation, and says nothing about the other 22 violations, including two rats copulating under the salad bar. But this time, I have to agree with Tony that the health department is picking well-known places to shut down in order to get attention.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Thu, 03/8/07 11:00 PM (permalink)
                Obviously an act of revenge. Perhaps the proprietor failed to pay his weekly stipend to the city health inspector's office.

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                  RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Sun, 04/8/07 8:21 PM (permalink)
                  I have been told by many friends in the biz that the Health Department has been on the warpath since the rodent incident.

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
                    RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Sun, 04/8/07 9:12 PM (permalink)
                    John's rules.

tfrielin

• Total Posts: 440
                      RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Mon, 04/9/07 2:56 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Joisey

http://www.1010wins.com/pages/287633.php?contentType=4&contentId=362266

Is this the same John's pizza that has a location in the Theatre district?

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: John's pizza NYC-health inspector closed Mon, 04/9/07 4:05 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by tfrielin
                        Is this the same John's pizza that has a location in the Theatre district?

The location in the theater district (housed in a former church with an amazing soaring glass ceiling) is affiliated with John's on Bleecker Street, but the food isn't the same. It looks the same, but it sure doesn't taste the same. Plus, it's an absolute zoo.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com