Johnsonville Beer Brauts

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/04/30 15:02:52 (permalink)
John Fox

You're welcome, Annie. It's like ketchup on a hotdog, a personal preference.

Except that simmering brats before grilling is perfectly acceptable while ketchup on a hot dog is downright wrong

I know that & you know that, but this is America. Live long, prosper & eat what you want.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/09 22:20:58 (permalink)
I've been looking for these Johnsonville brats ever since SassyGrits started this thread. I never found any Johnsonville brats with a credit to Miller beer on them. However, I found these Hillshire Farm brats that ShenB mentioned in a ghetto supermarket on Long Island today:
http://www.gomeat.com/sitecontent/bunsize-sausage/archive/2009/04/08/miller_5F00_high_5F00_life_5F00_beer_5F00_brats.aspx

The label on the package indicates they are made with Miller High Life beer. I wanted to see how good they would work with my 'step saver recipe'. I prepared my sauerkraut by taking some Frank's canned sauerkraut and baking it for 75 minutes at 300 degrees F. with some brown sugar and 4 ounces apple juice. Then, I grilled the brats in an electric frypan with butter at 275 degrees for 25 minutes. I was pleased with these. They certainly give Thumann's, Schaller & Weber, Dietz & Watson, Karl Ehmer, and Boars Head a run for their money. They are all pork but do contain MSG and corn syrup.

They are coarse ground similar to the Karl Ehmer brats, and have a pleasant, sweet spice blend. While they cannot match those of local mom-and-pop butcher shops, they certainly will be appreciated by people who are limited to mass market supermarket brands.

I find it curious that two manufacturers could get a product tie-in with Miller High Life beer. But, I continue to look for Johnsonville brats indicating they are made with Miller beer.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1600
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/09 22:41:17 (permalink)
<<I prepared my sauerkraut by taking some Frank's canned sauerkraut and baking it for 75 minutes at 300 degrees F.>>

Forgive me for steering this slightly off-topic, but just the other day I picked up a can of Frank's Sauerkraut at the $1 store in Watchung NJ. It was new to me and it was surprisingly good.

Is this a good local brand from MD that somehow went astray and wound up at a dollar store?
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/09 22:47:21 (permalink)
I bought my Frank's kraut at a Dollar Tree store on Long Island. The rub is that it was short dated. Frank's is not normally sold in this area, so The Fremont Company may have "dumped" it here. However, if you look at the (very long) date codes on the can, you can see they private label for a lot of locally sold brands, including B&G.
http://www.sauerkraut.com/
post edited by David_NYC - 2009/05/09 22:50:43
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8389
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/10 10:47:58 (permalink)
Franks originated in Franksville, Wi-a sleepy little town that used to produce tons of sauerkraut.Unfortunately, they closed the factory a while back due to the economic climate.I know they still celebrate their roots with a Sauerkraut festival every year.By the way, David_NYC, your recipe for baked kraut sounds excellent, and Hillshire meats are actually making a big comeback here in Wisconsin....
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/10 21:49:25 (permalink)
ann I was never a kraut person here..... I prefer slaw if anything on my dog.

Dennis in Cary
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/11 01:26:42 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

JRPfeff

I guess that makes you #1.

Try a taste test Michael.  Until you do, shut up. 

I know why you use the simmer crutch.  But experience shows that grilled bratwurst are superior without it.

I grilled (only) bratwurst for years, until I learned the proper way to do them -- simmer first to cook them through, and then grill them to brown them up. And if you don't mind I'll not shut up. Not for you and not for anyone.

You go, Michael! I've always wanted to try simmering brats in beer and onions before grilling them. Now, if you say that's the best way, well, I'll do it. Sounds like a great idea and probably plumps up the brats for the grill.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/11 06:30:22 (permalink)
David_NYC

I've been looking for these Johnsonville brats ever since SassyGrits started this thread. I never found any Johnsonville brats with a credit to Miller beer on them. However, I found these Hillshire Farm brats that ShenB mentioned in a ghetto supermarket on Long Island today:
http://www.gomeat.com/sitecontent/bunsize-sausage/archive/2009/04/08/miller_5F00_high_5F00_life_5F00_beer_5F00_brats.aspx

The label on the package indicates they are made with Miller High Life beer. I wanted to see how good they would work with my 'step saver recipe'. I prepared my sauerkraut by taking some Frank's canned sauerkraut and baking it for 75 minutes at 300 degrees F. with some brown sugar and 4 ounces apple juice. Then, I grilled the brats in an electric frypan with butter at 275 degrees for 25 minutes. I was pleased with these. They certainly give Thumann's, Schaller & Weber, Dietz & Watson, Karl Ehmer, and Boars Head a run for their money. They are all pork but do contain MSG and corn syrup.

They are coarse ground similar to the Karl Ehmer brats, and have a pleasant, sweet spice blend. While they cannot match those of local mom-and-pop butcher shops, they certainly will be appreciated by people who are limited to mass market supermarket brands.

I find it curious that two manufacturers could get a product tie-in with Miller High Life beer. But, I continue to look for Johnsonville brats indicating they are made with Miller beer.

Kraut in a can....good??? Always tastes like the can to me, but I think I'll give this Franks stuff a try if I can find it.

As for Brats..I like them simmered with beer and onions just until they are almost done, then finished on a hot charcoal grill. Mustard, kraut, a little raw onion and a ice cold Straub...doesn't get any better!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8389
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/11 11:55:00 (permalink)
Its funny Dennis-until I was in N.C., I had never heard of slaw on hot dogs, or BBQ.I do enjoy it!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10287
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/12 01:08:48 (permalink)
rebeltruce

As for Brats..I like them simmered with beer and onions just until they are almost done, then finished on a hot charcoal grill. Mustard, kraut, a little raw onion and a ice cold Straub...doesn't get any better!

STRAUB's BEER????????? Count me  in!!
http://www.straubbeer.com/

rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/12 06:45:31 (permalink)
Foodbme

rebeltruce

Foodbme,

Was just up to St. Mary's two weeks ago, this was the first of my two or three motorcycle trips to the Eternal Tap for the year.

I'm thinking a Brat simmered in Staub Dark and a few onions would be excellent!

Have you tried a Straub Dark yet? Don't know how often you get back this way, but next time you have a chance to have a Straub give the Dark a try!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10287
Re:Johnsonville Beer Brauts 2009/05/12 10:23:20 (permalink)
rebeltruce

Foodbme

rebeltruce

Foodbme,

Was just up to St. Mary's two weeks ago, this was the first of my two or three motorcycle trips to the Eternal Tap for the year.

I'm thinking a Brat simmered in Staub Dark and a few onions would be excellent!

Have you tried a Straub Dark yet? Don't know how often you get back this way, but next time you have a chance to have a Straub give the Dark a try!

Thanx! for the tip. I don't get back there very often. My wife's HS 50th reunion is coming up and will probably go back then.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1