Juicy, greasy burgers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JoColl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2006/05/07 12:16:39 (permalink)

Juicy, greasy burgers

I remember when I was young, every restaurant had very tasty, juicy and greasy hamburgers. The grease is what made them taste so sweet and good. Today we cannot find ONE restaurant that has hamburgers like this. They all seem to use ground meat with hardly any fat and they are always dry. No grease comes out with each bite. I am wondering if giving antibiotics to the cows is what is making ground meat less tasty. It has been over 30 years since I have tasted a hamburger like when I was young. I can't even make them at home because the meat just is not the same. Are there any butchers out there that would know why meat is not as tasty as it used to be? What has changed? I know it must be something because I have a high sense of taste and I know when things are not the same when it comes to the taste of meat.

34 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/07 12:25:40 (permalink)
    Why not ground your own beef? You can contol the fat/lean ratio to you liking if you do that. Other than that, I know what you are talking about. Be assured though, that there are many, many locally owned establishments that still cook great burgers.
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/07 12:38:55 (permalink)
    When I started my restaurant 4 years ago, I used Black Angus ground beef for my burgers. Kids would not eat them. I finally figured out that the burgers were too lean & that the taste was bland. After researching the topic, most commercial ground beef is leaner due to dietary concerns about fat. But it is the fat that gives the burger its taste.

My solution: Adjudicator is right on the money. Either grind your own or find a good butcher (I use Henningsen's Meat Processing, Atlantic, IA) like I did. Not only do they add the right amount of fat to my ground beef, they also only use local Iowa corn-fed beef.

WORD OF CAUTION: A new product is being touted as a new improved juicy Angus burger for restaurant use. It IS juicy and it stays juicy for up to an hour after cooking. HOW is this possible? Again, after researching the subject, my purveyor admits that these premade burgers are injected with a solution of who knows what to keep them juicy. Buyer beware!
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/07 12:46:59 (permalink)
    We use ground chuck, I think it is 20% fat. Make them kind of thick and do not over cook it. My better half likes them rare in the middle, I like mine just a little more done.

Just plain gound beef is good and greasy and tasty but it shrinks a lot and is prone to causing fires. If you stay on top of the grill the fires can be a good thing. It just doesn't take as long, don't turn your back or you will have briquets.

Don't even think about using ground sirloin!

Cakes

Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/07 13:24:47 (permalink)
    IMHO it has alot to do with the cooking method. Even with Chuck when cooked on the grill most of the grease drips out especially when you press on it with a spatula.

I bought a griddle for my grill and have produced outstanding burgers. Try gilling some onions in a little butter first and then cook the burgers with the onion.

I buy a chuck roast, cube it, mix it with a little Kosher salt and put it in the frige overnight. Before cooking I grind the meat and form into 1/4lb. meatballs, throw them on the grddle and flatten them as they cook. Serve on a toasted Kaiser Roll with the grilled onions, some Merkt's port wine cheese and a nice slice of ripe tomato.

Damn now I'm off to the store!
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/07 14:53:04 (permalink)
    MMmmmm Tommy...what time should we be over for dinner?? Will be a nice follow up to the Chickies Beef the Misses and I had last night...
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/07 16:37:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

IMHO it has alot to do with the cooking method. Even with Chuck when cooked on the grill most of the grease drips out especially when you press on it with a spatula.

I bought a griddle for my grill and have produced outstanding burgers. Try gilling some onions in a little butter first and then cook the burgers with the onion.

I buy a chuck roast, cube it, mix it with a little Kosher salt and put it in the frige overnight. Before cooking I grind the meat and form into 1/4lb. meatballs, throw them on the grddle and flatten them as they cook. Serve on a toasted Kaiser Roll with the grilled onions, some Merkt's port wine cheese and a nice slice of ripe tomato.

Damn now I'm off to the store!

If you think that pressing it with a spatula is not the thing to do, why do it?

Cakes

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/07 16:58:39 (permalink)
    Yesterday (saturday05/06/06) my youngest daughter walked for her diploma The Mr's brought home 5lbs of ground meat from work for burgers. I was home alone while everyone went to the graduation when I realized I only had 3 eggs (and no wheels)what to do..... A bottle of italian seasoning was on the counter from the mac salad.. hhmmm..glug glug glug... cooked on a charcoal grill the burgers stayed nicely moist and had a very good taste..another happy accident!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/08 13:05:39 (permalink)
    I agree with the ground chuck for burgers and.... chili. I like my burger rare and you can't do that with regular hamburger meat. Finding a good butcher like tha Bliz did is a whole nother level.
    Joe
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/08 13:34:04 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I never liked hamburgers until I was in my early twenties in the mid-70's. They were greasy, but that romance
    was short-lived when my father had a heart-attack. Then it was low-fat, and I mean like 90-something fat free.
    Dry, and lifeless. After my father's death, I went back to the 70-80's percent fat, but they smelt and tasted
    funny. They really smelt bad. Then I learnt how to cook the low fat better. I made patties about an inch or more high
    and cooked it slower. I have to watch it more, not press it with a spatula, but flip it a few times more. It's
    not the grease, but moisture, which, yes, has to do with the grease. You don't need grease on the burger, laying there,
    but a certain amount of grease moisturizing the meat still within the meat. At least, that my opinion. Also, toppings
    can relieve the lack of moisture in eating of a burger. I doubt if I am authority in this, but it is my experience.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/08 13:57:46 (permalink)
    I agree with the smell Fieldthistle. I get that smell from alot of the grocery store variety of ground meats. Going to a butcher now, fresh ground, farm raised meat is a total turnaround. Smell is gone, and that long lost flavor is back.

phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/20 13:14:46 (permalink)
    juicy, greasy, good,................try sarkis cafe on the evanston/skokie illinois border
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/20 16:02:02 (permalink)
    never push a burger with a spatula while its cooking. That pushes all the juice and goodness out. I always cring when I see a place use a clamshell or use something to push down on the burger to cook it faster. Also let the burger set for a few minutes after cooking to suck up some of the juice that has come out with cooking process.
    TinTN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/24 22:14:39 (permalink)
    Buster's in Murfreesboro, TN has amazing, no frills juicy, greasy burgers. It's a biker bar and they do them up right!
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/05/26 12:17:41 (permalink)
    It ain't a good burger (or taco) unless grease is reunning down your arm when you are eating it. I will probably get responses to this statement but it has always held true for me.
    ertyu
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/06/29 20:02:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by baughman

never push a burger with a spatula while its cooking. That pushes all the juice and goodness out. I always cring when I see a place use a clamshell or use something to push down on the burger to cook it faster. Also let the burger set for a few minutes after cooking to suck up some of the juice that has come out with cooking process.

thanks for the tip a good burger takes time i guess
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/06/30 11:29:41 (permalink)
    I like burgers 85% lean and thats what I buy.
    Cheyenne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/07/18 14:38:06 (permalink)
    I agree with SassyGrits, I it's just not the same without the grease. That is why I love Butter Burgers!
    tiggs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/07/18 14:55:53 (permalink)
    A few weeks ago I tried a recipe that called for 1 1/2 lbs of 85% lean, but 3 TBS of bacon grease. It turned out great.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/07/19 08:18:57 (permalink)
    Last one I did was fresh ground chuck fried in bacon fat. S&P added on the plate, very moist and tasty.

John A
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/07/20 22:11:55 (permalink)
    I agree that the beef you buy in bulk just aint got enough fat ,so I stick a pat of butter in the center of my burger so its not so dry.
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/07/30 02:47:13 (permalink)
    This is where the butcher can be your best friend. You can specify EXACTLY what kind of ground beef you want, from the texture to the composition. A friend of mine once requested five pounds of lean beef to be ground up with a pound of bacon!!! Those were GREAT burgers! Beef and pork fat marry wonderfully!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/07/30 06:40:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

It ain't a good burger (or taco) unless grease is reunning down your arm when you are eating it. I will probably get responses to this statement but it has always held true for me.

I agree...
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2464
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/07/31 14:55:02 (permalink)
    I use an 80% lean ground chuck, put about 2-3 small pieces of Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar and a couple of roasted garlic cloves in the center and form it into a somewhat thick hockey puck. I then season it with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. I sear it in a pan until there is a nice brown crust on the outside and then finish it in the oven (in the same pan) at about 350 degrees until the center is just barely pink. Great on a nice couple of grilled slices of pullman bread with just a little ketchup.
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/08/19 14:29:39 (permalink)
    I agree with the grind your own crowd. I go to the meat case at Sam's and look for the Chuck Roast that everyone else won't buy because it has too much fat and marbeling. My wife covers it up in the cart with something else so nobody can see it (embarrased that someone will think we are blind or something). Grind that up and make em real thick, grill em on the Weber, serve with a slice of Vidalia onion, ... corn on the cob, heaven!

Used to get ground Choice in Chicago (Chuck Roast) at a butcher shop an they would leave all the trimmings on before they would grind it and if it was still a bit lean they would throw in some extra trimmings with it.

Gotta be carefull with these though. Once these "bombs" get cooking the fat will ignite on the charcoal and one would think you poured gasoline on it. I put the lid on and flood the neighborhood with the great smell (smog). After a few weekends of doing this, there will be nothing in your yard that will rust! LOL.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/09/03 14:03:39 (permalink)
    the best greasy burgers? WAFFLEHOUSE hans down
    Big Sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/09/03 15:33:02 (permalink)
    I do the same Oldfrt, I wait until the chuck go's on sale at 89 0r 99 cents a pound and have the butcher grind it for me. Anyone who pays 2.39 for ground beef is flushing their hard earned money.
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/09/03 15:48:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wjakubin

I do the same Oldfrt, I wait until the chuck go's on sale at 89 0r 99 cents a pound and have the butcher grind it for me. Anyone who pays 2.39 for ground beef is flushing their hard earned money.

Good grief, I haven't seen chuck on sale for 89 or 99 cents a pound in ages. I have a really good butcher, who I dont get to as often since our work schedules changed, and a local butcher shop down the street, that runs a close second to my favorite butcher, and never see prices like that. Either one will get me what I want for ground meat and its always good, but, no prices like that.

Big Sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/09/03 16:11:17 (permalink)
    Every once in a while it go's on sale here in Tucson at those prices. That's when I stock up and load the freezer. Heck they don't even charge extra to grind it for me. Need ground pork, do the exact thing !
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Juicy, greasy burgers 2006/09/03 16:22:43 (permalink)
    My old Kitchen Aid, about 25 years old now, still grinds the stuff up quite well with the grinder attachment. I usually cut it up into 1 inch chunks, throw it in the freezer for about 20 minutes on a sheet, and then grind. I can alternate the meat chunks with onions, peppers, or whatever. Beef goes thru the fine grinder plate and pork thru the larger one.

I don't remember what USDA Choice Chuck runs at SAM's but definately cheaper than a butcher shop where I frequent but even if it's a dime or twenty cents more it is a lot better than the super market (USDA Select) variety.

Went to the local Deli (Tony's Market) this weekend and had to splurge on some great lookin Buffalo burgers. Not cheap, around $3.50 a pound but the size of em has to be 1" larger than the buns I bought and around a inch and a half thick. Stoking up the Weber in a couple hours!!

Don

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1