July 9 in Milwaukee

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5143
2009/07/07 12:59:34 (permalink)

July 9 in Milwaukee

So Buffetbuster thinks having a flight delay in Milwaukee is a "bad situation"...try taking a carload of teenage girls to a Jonas Brothers concert!" />

We're acting as chauffeurs this coming Thursday and since Historic Turner Restaurant is right across the street from the Bradley Center we're going to grab some dinner there, and anyone so inclined is welcome to join us.  Depending on how things go we might wander over to Third Street but overall I think we're just going to play it by ear.

The drive back to Madison is going to be hell...

Brad

35 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10390
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 13:27:54 (permalink)
    I promise NEVER to complain about a flight delay again!!!!

So Brad, the obvious question is, which Jonas Brother is your favorite?
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 13:38:18 (permalink)
    Brad, as much as I'd love to stop and give you some moral support, I'm afraid paying $$$$ for parking during the meal rules that out. Have fun and after your nerves return to normal let us know how the food was.
    Mike
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 13:52:34 (permalink)
    BB, let's just say that I like them equally and leave it at that.
    MFL, we're planning on parking in the BC parking structure...I'm not expecting it to be cheap but convenience and (hopefully) security win out this time.  At least the prices at Turner seem pretty reasonable...the chicken schnitzel's looking pretty good right now.

Brad
    post edited by Brad_Olson - 2009/07/07 13:56:49
    jake53005
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 15:45:30 (permalink)
    "I'm afraid paying $$$$ for parking during the meal rules that out"

I thought you were a city guy, you could just take public transportation to avoid parking.
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 19:59:07 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson

So Buffetbuster thinks having a flight delay in Milwaukee is a "bad situation"...try taking a carload of teenage girls to a Jonas Brothers concert!" />

This gave me the best chuckle I've had all day. I work until 7 or I'd love to join you guys.

I think Ringo is the cute one.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8477
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 20:35:45 (permalink)
    LOL, Aimee....message from the elusive one....
    post edited by annpeeples - 2009/07/07 20:39:33
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2713
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 20:49:41 (permalink)
    Brad,

I'd like to eat with you on Thursday.  Oddly enough, I will be in that area and could meet you before or after my the concert, but I'll be otherwise occupied at the time you are eating at Turner's.

Regarding Milwaukee parking, I will usually park south of the BC on 6th Street, across Michigan Avenue somewhere around Zeidler Park.  I've never had any security issues with the car or personally, there are just too many people out when there is an event in that area.

Jim
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 20:52:13 (permalink)
    Hi Jake! Like you, I'm still waiting for my light rail!

Now I don't mind (well actually I do) paying for parking downtown but special event parking prices are in the treetops! Now if BB is heading for his favorite concert, maybe he can pick me up and I'll give him a Night Owl triple for his troubles. 

As to which brother I like, it's clearly Don, no wait, it's Phil; oh heck I guess I like both the brothers equally.

post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2009/07/07 21:02:36
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 21:10:29 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson , As the Father of four Daughters, I can honestly tell you, I feel your pain. 
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 23:23:08 (permalink)
    Joe, as the father of two daughters I can honestly tell you that you're not a fast learner!

Brad
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/07 23:26:14 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for light rail in Milwaukee if I were you. Your city is one of several in the central part of the country that have been discussing light rail for years, but that's as far as it ever gets. Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Detroit, Louisville, Columbus, Indianapolis... all talk and no action, every one of them. As successful as the new light rail systems have been in Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Phoenix and other cities, you'd think that those bus-only cities would get serious about pursuing federal funding for new rail transit lines that relieve highway congestion and create jobs, but no... talk, talk, talk, that's all they do. Seattle's new light rail system opens later this month, and Norfolk VA will join the ranks of light rail cities next year. Talking is easy, doing takes some effort.    
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/08 07:42:08 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers
    Now if BB is heading for his favorite concert, maybe he can pick me up and I'll give him a Night Owl triple for his troubles. 
    Night Owl?  Never heard of the place!

stricken_detective
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/08 12:06:32 (permalink)
    Brad, not sure if you're a fan, but South Park had an episode with the Jonas Brothers. I never laughed so hard!
    stricken_detective
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/08 12:07:25 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

MilwFoodlovers
    Now if BB is heading for his favorite concert, maybe he can pick me up and I'll give him a Night Owl triple for his troubles. 
    Night Owl?  Never heard of the place!

My boss has corfirmed the owners are "Probably 1000 years old" & that's why the hours are so limited.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8065
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/08 12:30:01 (permalink)
    I'm very interested in your parking prices.

Downtown Los Angeles near the Staple Center is $20 on a normal night.

Yesterday which was highly abnormal it was said that they were getting $30 and above.

So...  what do you consider treetop?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/08 13:30:38 (permalink)
    Mar52
       Here in Louisville the neighborhoods around Churchill Downs are a bit run down, sort of like the area outside the war-zone in Compton. Everyone going to the track parks on the Track lots on regular days....but for the big events (The Oakes and the Derby) the locals can get as much as $40 to park in their grubby yards near the track. It reminds me of what used to happen near Exposition Park when the Raiders (Remember the L A Raiders?) had a home game !

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/08 13:34:34 (permalink)
    Brad-
    If you and your sanity survive, how about reporting back about Turner Hall?  I am very curious about this place.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/09 19:24:05 (permalink)
    Brad,

I've been listening to the traffic reports, that wasn't you in that accident on I-94 was it?

The traffic guys were making fun of the parents from the boonies driving their daughters into Milwaukee.  Better you than me, my friend. 

Key words for the next big show:  Hire a Limo!

Jim
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/09 19:49:19 (permalink)
    We will be headed into Wisconsin thru Chicago and Milwaukee next weekend. Meeting up with our kids and doing some 'Grandkid' friendly places between Milwaukee and Baraboo. We hope to find time to shop the Usinger's outlet store as we pass thru town.
    I recall Brad or some other Badger describing some good Asian Places in the Madison area. Any suggestions? We will do some Serbian and some grill-out Beef, but hope to find a family friendly alternative for those places for Saturday evening.
    Thanks
    AL
    stricken_detective
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/09 19:56:46 (permalink)
    mar52

I'm very interested in your parking prices.

Downtown Los Angeles near the Staple Center is $20 on a normal night.

Yesterday which was highly abnormal it was said that they were getting $30 and above.

So...  what do you consider treetop?

Special event parking in Milwaukee can be $20. This is America. I am not paying to park my car. There is plenty of street parking, you just have to go early enough & be willing to walk a few blocks.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/09 20:22:28 (permalink)
    In Milwaukee my treetop is indeed $20. Now while that might be worth it for a Bucks game or a special concert, that's unacceptable for me for a dinner. $5 downtown valet dinner parking seems the norm  but is not available anywhere near the Bradley Center during a special event. I know Brad had his heart set on Turner Hall (where I've never dined at) but Mader's just a block away offers free parking for dinner guests. I can't wait to hear about his meal either.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/09 21:46:09 (permalink)
    mayor al

... I recall Brad or some other Badger describing some good Asian Places in the Madison area. Any suggestions? We will do some Serbian and some grill-out Beef, but hope to find a family friendly alternative for those places for Saturday evening.
    Thanks
    AL

Al,

I know the posts you are thinking of, but can't remember who made them. 

For family friendly Asian food in Madison I always liked China One Buffet.  I'll grant you that it is not the greatest Chinese food in the U.S.A., but they have a huge selection, including sushi and a build-your-own plate Mongolian grill.  They have enough choices that even fussy-eating youngsters will find something to eat.

Jim
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/09 22:23:32 (permalink)
    Al, I'm not sure what ages those in your party are but although a buffet, Taste of Asia on the east side of town on Hwy 151 (Washington) near Hwy 30 is a really good choice with excellent food and a wide variety to chose from. http://www.toamadison.com/ 
    I like the Indonesian food at Bandung
    http://www.bandungrestaurant.com/ 
    I also really like Lao Laan-Xang but it is a tiny place suitable really for 4 or less. http://www.menupix.com/madison/restaurants.php?id=730307#
    Happy dining.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/10 00:36:34 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

In Milwaukee my treetop is indeed $20. Now while that might be worth it for a Bucks game or a special concert, that's unacceptable for me for a dinner. $5 downtown valet dinner parking seems the norm  but is not available anywhere near the Bradley Center during a special event. I know Brad had his heart set on Turner Hall (where I've never dined at) but Mader's just a block away offers free parking for dinner guests. I can't wait to hear about his meal either.
    Of course Mader's prices are about three times as expensive as Turner Hall's.  One way or another, you're paying for that "free parking".

Buddy

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/10 11:08:37 (permalink)
    Rather than post as a trip report (because it really wasn't) I'll just sum things up here.

Left the house at 3:50pm yesterday and my head didn't hit the pillow until 1:16 this morning, so I got less than 4 hours of sleep before the alarm went off.  I'm fried and might even forego tonight's 9pm episode of "Emergency!" to knock off early.

Traffic was lousy.  No, JRP, we weren't in the accident and it had been cleared away by the time we passed Hwy 100, but it still snarled things a lot.  We made it on time though.  Apparently a number of kids from our area went and Kathy did suggest the limo idea, but it didn't fly.  I wish it had.  $25 to park in a surface lot (the ramp was apparently "permit only") and I'll bet it took 45 minutes for us to get out to the streets (which were jammed all over) after the show.  Fortunately I still remember some of the driving "skills" I learned in my 4-1/2 years in the Chicago area and it helped us finally get to I-43, and once we reached it the drive home was smooth, fast, and uneventful.

The Jonas Brothers have a bus you can write on, but only with a Sharpie.  If I'd had one people would've been trying to figure out "WTF is wrong with Madison?" meant.

No food pictures as I opted to leave the camera at home so I'd have 1 less thing to deal with/worry about.  In hindsight it would've been fine to bring it along, though.
    Dinner at Turner was a bit of disappointment but extenuating circumstances may apply.  When we got there around 6-ish it was packed with concertgoers and we had a 15-minute wait for a table, but at least we wound up in a corner by a window that faced the Bradley Center.  That at least made for some interesting people-watching, especially later when one of the local "characters" tried to engage a few limo drivers in animated conversation.

We started with 3 potato pancakes for an appetizer.  They had just a hint of onion but that's OK because I don't like them too oniony and I had to add salt to mine, but that's better than having them come to the table already too salty.  Unfortunately they were just a touch undercooked IMO as I would've like them a little more crisp.  Kathy did like the cinnamon applesauce that comes on the side.

I ordered the chicken schnitzel and it came with spaetzle and a vegetable medley that was 40% acceptable (yes to broccoli and asparagus, no to carrots, zucchini, and squash).  Everything was pretty much OK but there was a pool of oil on the plate; however, since I have pretty much no knowledge of German food I don't know if this was normal or not.  The chicken was pretty good and I liked the breading, but everything was...well, oily.  At least the spaetzle soaked up some of it, and the mustard sauce served on the side was very good and helped provide some balance.

Kathy chose the fish fry and didn't particularly care for it.  I asked her how it was and she used the term "rubbery" which applied more to the batter than the fish inside, which wasn't too bad.  She also felt it was a bit greasy but it didn't seem to bad too me.  Nothing special about the fries served on the side.  She swiped a good portion of my mustard to use in place of the tartar sauce.  The marble rye was fresh and chewy with a nice sprinkling of salt on the top.  Her dessert was vanilla ice cream and decaf, which was fine.

By 7pm the dining room was nearly deserted and in hindsight we should've waited until 6:30-6:45 or so before eating.  Granted, Turner has a great location and that undoubtedly helps when there's a BC event, but hopefully what we experienced last night was greatly affected by the hectic situation and not typical.  Truthfully, I'd like to visit again when things are calmer and less rushed to see if it's better.  We saw a lot of fish being served and I wonder if maybe Kathy's order wasn't fresh from the fryer but rather from a held batch.  At least service didn't suffer; our waitress (who reminded me of a younger version of the actress Melinda McGraw) was very pleasant and did a good job.

After dinner we walked around outside a bit before returning to the Turner bar, where $5.50 bought a generous pour of Maker's Mark that I nursed for 2 hours.  Well, either that or it was $7.50 and the glass of cola was free.  By 9pm or so there were maybe a dozen patrons at the bar and at least 8 of us were parents waiting out the concert.

Just before 10 people started trickling out of the BC show and we heard more than 1 parent say that they were leaving in order to get a jump on traffic.  Smart.  And then the show ended, the door opened, and a horde of screaming teenage girls flooded into the streets.  A black SUV with tinted windows came out of the special parking area and the place went into utter chaos; obviously the belief was that the "JoBros" were inside.  I can only begin to imagine what Beatlemania must've been like!

I was hoping that the teenagers would be wiped out and rather quiet for the trip home, but no such luck.  I should've found some way to slip them some Benadryl.

Brad

PS  Al, I don't think it was me that mentioned Asian food in Madison...

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/10 11:27:17 (permalink)
    Brad, sorry your food experience was so-so.By the way, German food should not be oily-sounds like someone didnt blot the schnitzel before putting it on your plate. I do have to agree with Milwfoodlover about Maders.While dinner is more expensive than Turners, lunch is reasonable and the food is very good.
    www.maders.com/
    post edited by annpeeples - 2009/07/10 12:56:54
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/10 12:54:03 (permalink)
    Brad,

Thanks for the description of your evening and the thrilling activites in which you participated so willingly.

As Mayor and Roadfood Moderator/Health Inspector I hereby award you the Distinguished Air Guitar and Zit Crusher Award (with Rib-Bone Cluster) for your valiant efforts.

BTW-
    I was guessing about who posted the reviews of places in Madison. Sorry, I guess I guessed wrong!. We will do one dinner out at Hooker's Resort, The grill-it-yourself place in Poynette. That leaves us two Brunch/Lunches and Saturday Dinner somewhere in the Baraboo/Madison area.  One of those Lunch stoops could be at MONK'S on the Square in Baraboo. We want to avoid the Dells for obvious reasons on this weekend.

The Taste of Asia review above looks interesting I am forwarding the link to my Wisconsin family for their thoughts.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. AND  Brad, Congratulations on surviving another Parenting experience.

Annie, See ya in a week!

Mayor Al
    post edited by mayor al - 2009/07/10 13:02:44
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/10 13:39:09 (permalink)

Al I was transfered to Louisville for about 4 months in 92.  I got there just in time for the basketball hoolala and the Dreby.  I had a studio apt in the Greystone Atartments.  it looked just like the Kramdens place on the Honeymooners.  Out my kitchen window was the stage in Central Park where they did Shakespear in the park..  During Derby days there were signs everywhere for parking for sale.  People would rent out a room in their house for 400 bux and it was the biggest Zoo id ever seen.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:July 9 in Milwaukee 2009/07/10 13:45:36 (permalink)
    Al-while I dont go to Madison very often, I did eat at Taste of Asia after my friend graduated from Doctoral school. It was excellent. I particularly remember the Moo Shu pork-had never had it before and it was awesome.Very fresh.And as a lover of egg foo yung, their version was wonderful.Freshly made patties, and a light gravy-not the gloppy stuff I normally am served.Anyway-that is my review. And they accomodated a party of 9....easily.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1