Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2403
2012/07/17 01:59:40 (permalink)

Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian)

Chris & Amy came to NYC back in February of 2012 (yeah, I've got a backlog of Trip Reports to post!) and we had a really fun day of walking around, getting food-blocked after finding out a couple of my favorite food carts weren't out on the streets that day and finding some unexpected delights!  We first met up in the morning at our old standby, Ess-a-Bagel, on 3rd Avenue near 51st Street.  I don't remember how crowded it was but if it's busy, you definitely don't want to be the person holding up the line.  I've been chastised by their staff before!

I ordered my most favorite combo, an Everything bagel with Raisin Walnut cream cheese.  Just can't beat that salty/sweet taste!

My plan was to hit a couple of street carts, but a phone call to Hallo Berlin told me that their German wurst cart was still in operation (the owner, Rolf Babiel, had passed away in 2009 and his brother has since taken over its operation) but would not be on the street on this day.  Another call to Daisy May's BBQ USA confirmed what I had long suspected...they no longer operate their BBQ street cart, which had some of the best chili I've tasted in a long time.  What to do?  What to do?  We headed over to 6th Avenue in Midtown Manhattan to a newish location of Magnolia Bakery.  

While I'm not a big fan of their cupcakes I do think that their bars (lemon, Magic, toffee, etc as well as their puddings and icebox pies are quite good)

I'm a huge fan of their banana pudding but had never tried their banana cream pie.  I liked it but there weren't enough banana slices in it for me, the banana flavor wasn't really strong and the cream was somewhat runny.  The Nilla wafer crust was okay but I prefer them broken down in the pudding.  Glad I tried it but think I'll stick to the pudding next time.

I bought a couple of these chocolate milks made by Ronnybrook Farms as they are my favorite and I wanted Chris & Amy to try them.  These small single serve bottles aren't cheap (although it depends on where one buys them and I can usually get half gallons at a good price) but sometimes the craving hits and Billyboy gotta have it!  I've never had chocolate milk that tasted so fresh and was such a perfect combination of chocolate & milk.  Slays me every time!  I forget what Ayersian had purchased but I remember liking it.  C & A, feel free to chime in and add any photos you have to this report!

I'm not sure but I think it was at this point that we went to the MoMa (The Museum of Modern Art) to see some Diego Rivera wall murals and lots of other interesting, provocative art.  Thanks for the free pass, Chris & Amy!  Unfortunately, photo taking is not allowed in the museum so you'll have to settle for this subway advertisement I found in our travels that day.

Midtown Manhattan can be a bit of culinary wasteland as there are not a lot of independent options to choose from but it occurred to me that if we walked for a bit, maybe a 1/2 mile, we would be right outside of this hotel:

and just steps away from a fine, fine burger at the Burger Joint!  Now, when you first walk in to the lobby at Le Parker Meridien you'd never suspect that there is a burger joint kind of place in a swanky hotel.  Just look for the maroon velvet curtain and if you see this sign at the end of the short hallway, you're there!

As you can probably tell from the following pictures this is not a white linen, five-star kind of place.  It was a secret but that cat has been out of the bag for some time.  

The do have some attitude here and a fun sense of humor.  They are cash only and it is a very small place that fills up quickly.  Not a place for a big group to go as a booth for 4 can be hard to find.  One secret I was let in on years ago is that if you are getting it to go you can call ahead and then walk in to the front of the line and pick it up.  Just be ready to have everyone stare daggers at you as they did to me!

Given all of the copious amounts of graffiti on the walls and signs this warning has got to be tongue-in-cheek.  

And you CAN have it your way!  Just know what you want when you get to the counter as they are slammed all of the time and holding up the line isn't cool, dude!

More American graffiti.

Burger Joint has been written about on many blogs and site and gets a lot of tourists (hence the lines!) but how is the food?  Well, Chris got in line as we were splitting one burger and an order of fries for the three of us while Amy and I waited for people to leave and secured seats on some tall bar stool type chairs.  I forget if we ordered this medium or medium rare but it was just fantastic.  Juicy, beefy and the toppings were fresh.  It is a mess to eat but a joyful one at that.  One of my favorite burgers in the city and I've eaten quite a few.  

The fries are good, like those from the "golden arches" but much better.  I doubt they are hand-cut but these fries just feel "right" in this setting.  They do offer soda, beer, wine and milkshakes but I have yet to try them.  I must give thanks to Stephen Rushmore and Michael Stern for reviewing this place as I had been here once and wasn't impressed.  I had gotten it to go and ate in the office cafeteria by myself after hours at work during the swing shift so I MAY have missed out on the total experience!  Anyway, their review inspired me to go back again and I've loved it ever since.  Thanks, guys!

We decided to walk to the subway and make our way to the West Village to check out a falafel shop that Chris & Amy swore I would love.  On the way we passed this place:  The Original Soupman on 55th Street near 8th Avenue.
It's the original location of the "Soup Nazi" as made known to many on the TV show, "Seinfeld".  There is definitely a lot of branding going on with hats, t-shirts (that say, "No Soup For You!") and branded soup bowls for sale.  I have been to some of the franchised locations and wasn't impressed but I think I owe it to myself to come here and see if it is worth the hype.

The three of us hopped on the 8th Avenue Line headed downtown.  As we walked through the West Village we came across a place that caused me to rejoice!  A new location of The Meatball Shop!  WHAT?!  I knew we had to go in and try something, anything on the menu as I love their meatballs!  

Their motto!  I think that says it all.

Business was a-boomin' when we arrived so we got our food to go. 

We picked up a Smash, 2 beef meatballs smashed on a toasted brioche bun with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella that came with an arugula & apple side salad.  Juicy meatballs, fresh, stringy mozz, a bright tomato sauce and a good quality bun had all of us lovin' this!  The peppery arugula and crisp apples were a nice counterpoint.

Chris & Amy suggested that we try a single ball of their special of the day, a Reuben ball.  I wasn't as sold on the idea until I actually tried it.  Corned beef in meatball form, covered in Russian dressing, sauerkraut and caraway seeds sprinkled on top, this was a real winner and one I'd happily order as a full entree.  I've been to The Meatball Shop before and I find myself craving some of their meatballs as I write this.

While I have enjoyed the occasional falafel sandwich from time to time, it was never a food that excited me...until this day.  Chris & Amy had told me that Taim Falafel & Smoothie Bar had raised the bar for them so I was eager to try it for myself.  

We met my girlfriend for lunch.  C & A had a mixed platter while we both had falafel sandwiches.  I don't remember what Dayna had but I got the Red (roasted red pepper) falafel.  Everything tasted so fresh and the falafel balls were so light and not at all greasy or heavy as can be the case in many places.  The hummus was creamy, the Israeli salad of tomatoes and cucumbers was vibrant and the pickled cabbage was crunchy and provided a welcome tang.  I never knew it could be this good.  We camped out on a local bench outside as the place is very small.  Take a bite, watch people go by, take another bite, chat about food, our lives, etc, repeat.  A perfect meal.

Chris & Amy were ready to head back to their hotel but I had one last stop in mind en route to the subway.  Patisserie Claude on West 4th Street in the West Village has been making excellent pastries for years.  While Claude did retire a few years ago, one of his long time assistants took over and has been keeping up the good work.  

I used to come here frequently when I worked in the Village and nothing was better than an early morning pain au chocolat, like this one.  They really are best fresh out of the oven: warm, buttery and filled with gooey dark chocolate inside.  They do lose something later in the day but are still quite good and something I was happy to share with Chris & Amy for their first time.

And a parting shot of Ayersian, proud parents of a brand new baby pain au chocolat!!

That's all for this trip.  Hope you enjoyed it. 
"Eating is an adventure.  Enjoy the ride!" - billyboy, 2012

The 411

1.)  Ess-a-Bagel
      831 3rd Avenue
      New York, NY 10022
      Ph# 212-980-1010

2.)  Magnolia Bakery
      1240 Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue)
      New York, NY 10020
      Ph# 212-767-1123

3.)  Burger Joint (at Le Parker Meridien Hotel)
      119 West 56th Street
      New York, NY 10019
      Ph# 212-708-7414

4.)  MoMa (Museum of Modern Art)
      11 West 53rd Street
      New York, NY 10019
      Ph# 212-708-9400

5.)  The Meatball Shop
      64 Greenwich Avenue
      New York, NY 
      Ph# 212-982-7815

6.)  Taim Falafel & Smoothie Bar
      222 Waverly Place
      New York, NY 10014
      Ph# 212-691-1287

7.)  Patisserie Claude
      187 West 4th Street
      New York, NY 10014
      Ph# 212-255-5911
      No website

post edited by billyboy - 2012/07/17 02:18:07

19 Replies Related Threads

agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 07:01:37 (permalink)
    Delicious report Billyboy! Well worth the wait, BTW have you ever tried Ronnybrook Farms eggnog sold during the holidays? If you're an eggnog fan it's outstanding!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10279
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 08:10:00 (permalink)
    Considering the nationwide heat wave we have been experiencing, it looks funny seeing Chris & Amy all bundled up in winter clothing.

Thanks for the fine report billyboy.  Everything looks so good!
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1627
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 08:50:20 (permalink)
    Are you sure about that Raisin-Walnut on an Everything...that just sounds wrong?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 09:02:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the wonderful report Billyboy!

I've not yet been to Burger Joint...but it looks great.

During the holidays Le Parker Meridien displays a Gingerbread Extravaganza. The displays are made by popular establishments throughout the city...and donation proceeds go to City Harvest.

It's a great cause...lots of fun and the displays are always beautiful...

http://smithratliff.com/tag/le-parker-meridien/
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5064
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 09:05:09 (permalink)
    billyboy

And you CAN have it your way!  Just know what you want when you get to the counter as they are slammed all of the time and holding up the line isn't cool, dude!

Cheeseburger.
    Medium-rare.
    Mustard.

Can I take a little more time at The Meatball Shop?  Although I think I'll get a Smash, too.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 10:28:31 (permalink)
    Nice report.  All of these places are practically outside my door, but it's nice to hear about them from the perspective of someone who doesn't take them for granted.  

I'm a big fan of the food at Burger Joint, but I do find the set-up and decor a tad disingenuous.  All the down home rustic and grungy details were carefully designed that way from the get-go.  Granted, they did a nice job, but it's all fake.  It's like a Roadfood theme park built inside a 4 star hotel.    

Just for fun, here's the brunch menu for Norma's, the other restaurant in Le Parker Meridian.  $17 oatmeal anyone? How about $24 pancakes? $100 frittata?

http://www.parkermeridien.com/PDF/Normas_SSMenu_1207.pdf
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2391
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 11:44:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great report Billy, you always shine a bright light on the great food choices in your wonderful city. The choices are never ending, you have years of new and wonderful food adventures ahead. I know you are up for the challenge, this isn't an easy assignment, but someone has to do it....................Thanks Billy, it always a pleasure hearing about and viewing the pictures of your food finds.......................Bill
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 12:34:16 (permalink)
    It was worth waiting for.

ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 13:18:59 (permalink)
    Billyboy, an excellent report as always!  I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this pop up -- you completist, you.  I can't add anything other than a shot of our Magic Cookie Bar from Magnolia Bakery:

From their website: "Graham cracker crust with chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut topped with sweetened condensed milk then baked." Of course it was scrumptious, but I don't think I've ever had one that wasn't, to tell the truth. We did have a pre-purchase discussion about their cupcakes made famous by Sex and the City, but as I recall, they didn't look like they'd taste good enough to warrant the price...is that right, Billy?

Oh yeah, and those items from The Meatball Shop were extreeeeeemely tasty!  Gotta get back there soon!    Chris
    pnwchef
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 13:53:28 (permalink)
    Billy, have you gone to Bouchon Bakery - Rockefeller Center Thomas Keller's bakery. I got there late, most of the things I wanted to taste were gone. The cookies look interesting, small dessert bite items, not the lunch menu. This is the high rent district, I expect to pay a bit more....
    billyboy
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 15:12:44 (permalink)
    Agnesrob, I've not tried it as I'm not very fond of eggnog.  Maybe I'll give it a go this holiday season!
    Buffetbuster, I hadn't thought of that but it does look somewhat odd to see winter coats and hats!
    Cavandre, I'm 110% sure!  I've been a fan of the salty/sweet combo since I was in short pants!
    CC, thanks for the tip on the gingerbread displays.  I'll have to check it out.
    SC, take as much time as you need at The Meatball Shop.  I've had their 4-meatball bowl entree and their awesome and huge ice cream sandwiches.  Love that place!
    Pigiron, I'm okay with the decor at the Burger Joint, so long as they don't hire any servers who are required to wear 37 pieces of "flair"!
    Pnwchef, thanks so much for the kind words!  Your recent trip was a real gem!  I've not been to Bouchon but I may have to make that a priority.
    wheregreggeats, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!
    Chris & Amy, I don't like to leave a report unfinished if I can avoid it.  I hear ya on the Magic Cookie Bar.  I think I'm like the Will Rogers of those things. I've never met one I didn't like.  My mom made those a lot when I was a kid so they have a special place in my heart.  I've had enough "hit or miss" experiences with their cupcakes that I just don't want to spend the money on them when I know they have other desserts that are so much better all the time.  Plus, NYC is a place filled with good cupcake spots and I'd rather get them at a place where I walk out feeling it was money well spent!  P.S. - I just remembered, Magnolia has a fantastic version of a classic icebox cake with whipped cream and chocolate Famous Wafers! 
    post edited by billyboy - 2012/08/18 03:59:29
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8358
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 18:41:53 (permalink)
    What fun to be in NYC with good friends and great food lovers!!! I love what I have seen so far-hoping for more!!!!!!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 19:06:43 (permalink)
    I had Ronnybrook Coffee Milk at the Union Square Greenmarket. It was excellent!
    pnwchef
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 19:33:39 (permalink)
    Billyboy, the cupcakes were $3.50 at the Magnolia Bakery. I had a hard time getting "A Buck A Bite" they are small for that kind of price. We enjoyed them, they were fresh, great flavor,  the frosting was very lite. I have seen better options in a lot of your posts and at better prices. The only problem we had was, the bakeries are limited in this area, and everything is up a few bucks higher...........Bill
    post edited by pnwchef - 2012/07/18 08:53:08
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7834
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 20:38:01 (permalink)
    Billyboy,

As a former native New Yorker, I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been to 
    Ess-A-Bagel

I also observed that the pain au chocolat does not resemble either Chris or Amy, so I suspect it must be adopted.

Great Report

Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/17 21:06:00 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Billyboy,

As a former native New Yorker, I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been to 
    Ess-A-Bagel

I lived across the street from the 1st Ave Ess-A-Bagel for 6 years.  I can state without exaggeration that I had an extra 10 pounds around my waist as a result of the wonders within.  They even catered my son's bris. 

Sometimes I wake up on Sunday mornings in New Jersey and just weep at the notion that there will be no Novie, no whitefish salad, and no enormous, crusty carbohydrate bombs.  
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8358
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/18 13:26:58 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

It was worth waiting for.

I make those-honestly! Good for them to market the easy recipe....Should I make a batch again-will mail them out-then let me know if they are the same!!!
    billyboy
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/18 13:56:11 (permalink)
    ann peeples, a couple of more Trip Reports to come.  Two focusing on NYC and one on the Utica/Rome area in Central NY.  Was your post above meant for another thread?  Not sure what recipe you're referring to?
    pnwchef, I hear ya. When you're prssed for time and not sure where everything is located it can be time consuming to try to make it to other neighborhoods.  Glad you had a good experience with their cupcakes.  
    wj:  Dale, Dale, Dale!!!  New York City will be expecting the return of your membership card, post haste!  ;) 
    Pigiron, nothing says Sunday morning in NYC to me quite like a crusty, steamy, chewy bagel in my hands!

TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 481
    Re:Just Another Day in New York City with Chris & Amy (Ayersian) 2012/07/21 10:47:48 (permalink)
    One of the things I have never found outside of the NY area is an excellent bagel with the same crust and chew that you can get in the city or boroughs - rumors are it's the Hudson River water. Whenever I go to NY, I bring back a dozen, wrap them individually and freeze them - defrost, pop in the toaster over and bake them uncut/whole for about 7 minutes - almost as perfect as a fresh bagel! Here's my Ess-A-Bagel story..... after a very long period of no NY bagels (it's a bit of an addiction for me), we swung by Ess-A-Bagel on the way out of the city on Sunday morning - this was a new bagel place that we hadn't tried yet. My brother, brother-in-law, and sister came with me inside while my husband illegally parked in front prepared to drive around the block if needed ;-) Faced with the enormous line as soon as we walked in I wondered out loud if we just wanted bagels (without toppings, or prepared in any way) if there was a different line available. The woman in front of us directed me to the back of the store where they could quickly bag up a dozen or so to go. I got my dozen (half plain, half everything) and received a WARM paper bag with the most amazing yeasty, garlicy/onion smell coming out. I can only liken it to going into a bagel coma, because I turned around, and walked out of the store and got into the car - WITHOUT PAYING. As I was telling my husband about the line, etc., I remembered that I never paid for the bagels and rushed back into the store - thankfully my brother-in-law had the presence of mind to see me wandering off and was already at the counter paying for his and my bagels....wow, I was more than slightly embarrassed. So a word to the wise - beware the bagel coma, it can come on without warning.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1