Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer

Author
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
2007/01/24 12:17:58 (permalink)

Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer

" />looking for a good coating to try on chicken..Do not want to broast chicken, just fry it properly..

12 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/01/24 12:38:17 (permalink)
    In my opinion the simpler the better. Wash chicken, pat dry, coat with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Set aside while oil is heating. Fry. If you like a crunchier, thicker crust, dip in an egg wash or soak in buttermilk for about 30 minutes prior to flour coating. I prefer to use Wesson or Crisco(solid or liquid)vegetable oil, didn't care at all for peanut seemed too greasy.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/01/24 15:40:14 (permalink)
    I'm confused. What does the purchase of a "very nice Turkey Deep Fryer" have to do with the inquiry regarding a coating for fried chicken??????? Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Fried Chicken Coating????"

Regarding the oil, peanut oil is the oil of choice of most of the professionals. I like it's taste better, it can be heated higher than others without smoking, and lasts much longer than others. I've never noticed a greasy taste if cooked at a high temperature. Just my feelings.

I, too, often look for good recipes for a good fried chicken coating other than the usual and common place flour and salt and pepper. It seems like most of the recipes I've seen are always "flour, salt and pepper." Sometimes this basic recipe is good, but often I find fried chicken with great coating that I can't figure out how it was done.
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/01/24 15:49:41 (permalink)
    Regarding chicken coating, I just had the best deep fried chicken ever up in Ely, MN at the Ely steak house. I’d be curious as to what they used as a coating, it had a bit of a sweet taste. I couldn’t quite pin point it, almost like it had a bit of corn syrup in the crust? Anyone have a recipe with some sort of sweetener in it?

genewj - I haven't tried it on chicken but I know a lot of fishermen like Shore Lunch, there are some recipies at www.shorelunch.com
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/01/24 20:23:11 (permalink)
    I deep fry breaded pork tenderloins for sandwiches but the principles are the same with chicken. I fry with either Canola oil or peanut oil at high temperatures of 360 to 375 degrees which is the highest setting on my fryer.
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/01/25 04:36:35 (permalink)
    TheEdge...you got me thinking....My Aunt Ruby used to make a fried chicken that was kinda sweet...I asked her one time we were down there, what kind of breading she used on her chicken... I was stumped...she said she used pancake flour mix and added her own spices to the mix. Ruby didn't make it as a batter but used it as a dry coating. It was ok...but too sweet for me.
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/01/25 12:30:45 (permalink)
    Simple: A turkey deep fryer can be used fopr more than Justa Chicken,some Smart guy might have a alternative and need to know the type of equipment" />" />" />" /> I plan on using..
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/01/25 12:53:36 (permalink)
    Ok . . . if you say so. That makes it perfectly clear (##%@&//!!). Just joking.

One suggestion on commercially available chicken (or Turkey) coating is Andy's Chicken Seasoning (it's a flour based coating) in either mild or hot. It came highly recommended to me and when I tried it, I thought it was the best chicken coating available and ready for use right out of the bag (although I often add a little more pepper). The fried chicken tastes as good or better than most you get from a good fried chicken restaurant. I think it's available at Winn-Dixie or some of the smaller grocery chains or you can order from the company at http://www.andyseasonings.com/ (sometimes this link works and sometimes it doesn't).
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/01/25 13:09:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BTB

I think it's available at Winn-Dixie or some of the smaller grocery chains or you can order from the company at http://www.andyseasonings.com/ (sometimes this link works and sometimes it doesn't).

I think the link needs another "s" to make it work:
    http://www.andysseasoning.com/
    Torchman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/02/26 21:21:54 (permalink)
    I see this all the time! Here is the BEST way to fry ANYTHING (Granted, I use a cast iron pan, not deep fry). DRY mix...A bunch of flour, and a bunch of corn meal..maybe 60/40...70/30..flour in the lead. Add salt, pepper, Lawreys or Johnnys..and whatever else floats your boat. Make an egg wash..2-3 eggs, and a few splashes of milk. Dip in eggwash...run through flour mix. Let it rest for 30 min. Repeat. Fry. Enjoy! Ya GOTTA double dip, and recently I have been doing the second "flouring" into straight panko bread crumbs...awesome on fish. Try it..
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/03/02 00:35:48 (permalink)
    I like a mix of corn flour and AP wheat flour. It gives a finer crust than corn meal, but you still get a bit of that nice corn taste.

AP flour and bread crumbs are nice.

Or the old standard, just some wheat flour with a dash of black pepper.

I tried doing a crushed nut coating before, it was ok. I think the flavor just didn't work out right with frying the nuts. Maybe it needed to be mixed with something else.
    unabashed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/06/16 01:33:11 (permalink)
    i put my chicken in a bowl dump a generouse amount of hotsauce on it(petes or crystal) coat it all over and let sit a 1/2 hour i use this time to get breading together and oil(lard) up to temp my breading is flour salt/pepper garlic & onion powder accent a little old bay or season all (the more of these you use cut back on salt or dont use any salt)......i fry all my chicken in Lard it just tastes better.....at 350-375.... ive tried the buttermilk thing but to me it makes the breading kinda hard and the corn meal thing well i love it with my catfish but it seems to burn or taste kinda burnt with my chicken so i dont do it......and you gotta have the cold slaw (i make it a day before it gets all happy like vegatable soup needs a day to reach its full flaver..........HAPPY FRYING
    nuff said
    ron
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    RE: Just Purchased a very nice Turkey Deep Fryer 2007/06/16 22:53:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by genewj

" />looking for a good coating to try on chicken..Do not want to broast chicken, just fry it properly..

Simple:
    1. Use Peanut oil only!
    2. Inject with a marinade. There are a number on the market for Deep Fried Turkey.
    3. Rub with Tony Cachetere's (sp) Cajun Seasoning.
    4. fry that dude!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1