Just a few food truck questions

Author
jeffwllms
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
2013/04/24 11:52:04 (permalink)

Just a few food truck questions

Hello, all.  We are looking to purchase a truck to convert into a food truck for a non-profit that will be feeding the hungry and food insecure.  We have come across a few good deals and there may be an option of getting a truck donated.  The conversion will be done by qualified people hopefully donating there time, but we haven't put together the team yet.  We are looking for some pointers on picking a truck so that we don't cause problems for ourselves during building out.  

One of the thing that I have seen in every truck the we have looked at (about 20 trucks) is some sort of access in the floor.  It is located basically in the center of the box toward the back half.  In the build pictures on this site I haven't seen any trucks that seem to have this (from what I can tell in the pictures).  Have any of you seen these how have you delt with them in your trucks.

Also every truck we have looked at see,s to have a ceiling height of just over 6 ft.  So unless we find something else we will be needing to raise the ceiling.  Has anyone gone through the process?  We are really trying to estimate a rough cost of doing it since I need to get board budget approval.  It would be great to know if any did it themselves or with the help of a buddy that does metal work, etc and what material cost were etc. for that.  As well if anyone just had a shop handle it and what did you pay.

Also aside from shops that specialize in building food trucks what kind of shops are capable of doing this type of work.  The shops that specialize in food trucks seem to be pretty pricey.  I am thinking a RV shop should also be more than capable.

Thanks
post edited by jeffwllms - 2013/04/24 12:44:35

5 Replies Related Threads

Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Just a few food truck questions 2013/04/24 17:32:29 (permalink)
    Look for a Sheet Metal Workers Local in your area, they may be able to help you or steer you in the right direction for your fabrication questions or materials.
    cue
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Just a few food truck questions 2013/04/24 20:33:13 (permalink)
    I am having a shop in Houston, Tx build mine.  I just dont have the time. I will have about $30,000 in mine complete and ready to go to work.  Thats the cost of the truck, build out,  equipment,  wrapped in vinyl and a expensive diesel generator.  I bought a used FEDEX truck and took it to them and they are going to outfit it for me. I spent $4,000.00 on the truck.  It is a 1988 International with a Utilimaster body.  Body is in great condition.  430,000 miles on the truck.  Under 100,000 miles on a rebuilt engine and transmission.  They will also work with you on finding and using used equipment to keep the cost down.  Hope that helps
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re:Just a few food truck questions 2013/04/25 13:08:17 (permalink)
    cue

I am having a shop in Houston, Tx build mine.  I just dont have the time. I will have about $30,000 in mine complete and ready to go to work.  Thats the cost of the truck, build out,  equipment,  wrapped in vinyl and a expensive diesel generator.  I bought a used FEDEX truck and took it to them and they are going to outfit it for me. I spent $4,000.00 on the truck.  It is a 1988 International with a Utilimaster body.  Body is in great condition.  430,000 miles on the truck.  Under 100,000 miles on a rebuilt engine and transmission.  They will also work with you on finding and using used equipment to keep the cost down.  Hope that helps

That price sounds really good.  I'll have around $25k in mine and I did all the work myself.
    jeffwllms
    Junior Burger
    Re:Just a few food truck questions 2013/04/25 22:11:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, I will start checking out some shops.
    jeffwllms
    Junior Burger
    Re:Just a few food truck questions 2013/04/25 22:13:02 (permalink)
    Cue, that seems like an amazing price.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1