Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!!

Author
utvols
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2007/07/23 14:51:35 (permalink)

Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!!

Long time reader, first time poster.

Last night a buddy of mine and I started talking about a thread on here about pizza in Knoxville. Well our evening led us to Blue Chips (127 Montvue Rd Knoxville, TN 37919 865-690-1763). We both have eaten there before and really went back for their homemade potato chips. Sunday nights their pizza is on sale for $7.50 for a large one topping. After our afternoon discussing this very topic we decided to "bite" and tried their pepperoni. We both came to a shocking realization that, to us, Blue Chips may have the best pizza in Knoxville. I know that I wouldn't believe it either but I thought it was so good that I actually signed up to roadfood.com just to tell others.

Highlights: Crisp thin crust with level crisp edges. Spicy tomato sauce, one of the few pizzas I've eaten that needed no crushed peppers to bring flavor to a usually bland taste. Pepperoni, these were large slices about the size of salami, and had fresh pepperoni taste that is usually lost in the packages from the grocery store. They make their own dough.

Cons: Only on special on Sunday's rest of the week it's price is $12.00. Also I can't make it over there to get another one right now.

Note; Blue Chips is a bar and it tends to get really smoky. I suggest going earlier than later and Monday nights is 10 cent wing night so they are usually really crowded.

I look forward to contributing more to roadfood.com in the future.

16 Replies Related Threads

RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/23 18:20:38 (permalink)
    Cut it out, you did not.

welcome to roadfood utvols
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/23 18:27:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

Cut it out, you did not.

welcome to roadfood utvols

LMAO

OBTW Welcome!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/23 18:37:59 (permalink)
    Welcome. Keep those descriptive reviews coming.
    utvols
    Junior Burger
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/23 19:34:20 (permalink)
    Guys thanks for the welcome, and I PROMISE this is good pie. They also have a really good sandwich made of roast beef marinated in Guiness. The name escapes me but the flavor doesn't.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/23 19:42:22 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood utvols. I can taste that pizza right now as I am eating my PBJ sandwich!

The Judge
    Tennessee_Trash
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/24 10:44:16 (permalink)
    I am UtVols friend who ate at Bluechips on Sunday. I can attest to the fact this is one of the tastiest pizza pies I've ever eaten in Knoxville. While I've been to Bluechips on many occassions before, I've never tried the pizza before Sunday. The place doesnt look like it could produce a good pizza but it does.

Come to think of it, I've never ordered anything at Bluechips that I was dissapointed with. The chicken wings are always tasty especially on Monday nights for 10 cents. And their cheeseburgers are delightful. As I understand it, they offer buy one get one free cheeseburgers on Wednesdays now. What always stood out to me about Bluechips is their fesh cut potato chips and cheese fries. The potato chips are always thin, crispy and seasoned just right. The cheese fries start with thick cut potato wedges and are topped with massive amounts of cheese and bacon.

While this may seem like an advertisement for BlueChips, I can assure that it isnt. I absolutely despise the place. In fact, I rarely visit this place anymore because it is too smokey for me. I hate stopping in for a drink or a bite to eat and coming out smelling like an ashtray.

CAVEAT: This pizza is not for the faint of heart. If you dont enjoy spicy foods then you should pass on this pizza.
    ChopChop
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/24 11:11:16 (permalink)
    Caveat - that's a ten cent word! I'll trade you for a chicken wing.
    utvols
    Junior Burger
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/24 13:53:04 (permalink)
    ChopChop;

Don't let Tennessee Trash fool you, he paid 25 cents to learn the word.

I forgot about Wednesday night 241 burgers. I'm going to have to get takeout because I too am disgusted by the smoke in that place.

While we are talking about pizza, until Sunday night my favorite pizza in Knox was Papa Murphy's in Powell.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/24 16:17:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by utvols

ChopChop;

Don't let Tennessee Trash fool you, he paid 25 cents to learn the word.

I forgot about Wednesday night 241 burgers. I'm going to have to get takeout because I too am disgusted by the smoke in that place.

While we are talking about pizza, until Sunday night my favorite pizza in Knox was Papa Murphy's in Powell.
    So what are they going to do in October when the smoking ban takes effect? Make it 21 and over only or go smokefree?
    Tennessee_Trash
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/24 18:24:05 (permalink)
    CES1948 - Good Question. I hope they go smokefree but I seriously doubt they will. They have way too many regulars and employees who love to smoke. If I had to guess I would assume that they will turn the place into a 21 and over establishment. It's not like they have many families frequenting the place.

If someone forced me to name a favorite pizza in Knoxville before Sunday, it would have been Adagio Pizzeria in Gettysvue. The contact information for Adagio is as follows:

Adagio Pizzeria
    8923 Linksvue Drive
    Knoxville, TN 37922
    (865) 769-3782

By the way, Adagio is closed for renovations until August/September.

Like UTVOLS I enjoy Papa Murphy's on Clinton Highway but I would hesitate to name that as a favorite for the simple fact that you take the pizza home and cook it in the oven.
    utvols
    Junior Burger
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2007/07/27 13:57:18 (permalink)
    Good point TT, When talking about Papa Murphy's I add up taste and price and it equals amazing. Besides I kind of enjoy cooking the pizza at home, it's never cold when I eat it. Thought about you at lunch, I ate M&M's and think I'm off to the BBQ forum to write a review.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2012/08/24 08:55:06 (permalink)
    New pizza joint opened in Knoxville yesterday, Gavino's on Kingston Pike in Bearden.  Best pizza I've had in Knoxville by far.  NY style, the owner is from NY and been making pizza, pasta, etc a long time.  This is the real deal and the restaurant decor and layout is quite nice.  He's got a really good looking menu and the pizza is outstanding. 
    I also had the calimari for an appetizer and irt was fantastic also.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6270
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2012/08/24 09:17:02 (permalink)
    Sounds like that's a keeper.....and the real deal!!!!

New pizza joint opened in Knoxville yesterday, Gavino's on Kingston Pike in Bearden.  Best pizza I've had in Knoxville by far.  NY style, the owner is from NY and been making pizza, pasta, etc a long time.  This is the real deal and the restaurant decor and layout is quite nice.  He's got a really good looking menu and the pizza is outstanding. 
    I also had the calimari for an appetizer and irt was fantastic also.

carlton pierre
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2012/09/15 08:46:27 (permalink)
    I went to Gavino's again last night.  Been open a few weeks now.  Man, everything really tastes homemmade.  I had "stuffed shells" last night and the sauce was outstanding, and apparently he makes his own moarella cheese as well.  Pizza is best in town!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2012/09/15 10:21:23 (permalink)
    CP:  Thanks for the heads up.  Roz and I will be going there this afternoon for our Tennessee VOL gametime pizza.  I guess the hard choice will be on what to order?  Any thoughts?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville TN
    carlton pierre
    RE: Just had Great Pizza in Knoxville, TN!!! 2012/09/16 08:36:53 (permalink)
    It's difficult ( for me) to go to a pizza joint and not order pizza.  Pizzas here are wonderful.  But so is everything else so, it's whatever you're in the mood for. 
    Let us know your thoughts.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1