Just off the boat

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/07/27 22:21:49 (permalink)

Just off the boat

When I was young, I used to go with my grandmother to Sheepshead Bay (in Brooklyn). Charter fishing boats would dock there after a day on the Atlantic. Fishermen would just put some of their catch on the dock. My grandmother would buy the fresh fish, usually bluefish, (sometimes tuna or flounder, as I recall) take it home, bone in and broil it with olive oil, lemon, bread crumbs and lots of gralic. Sometimes she's add tomatoes, onions and capers, especially with tuna. It was so delicious to get this fish and she was such a good cook. I was wondering if this happens in other parts of the US, where you can buy fresh fish right off the dock....

3 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    RE: Just off the boat 2005/07/27 23:26:49 (permalink)
    Back in the late 1950s, when I was chartering out of Bayfront Park in Miami (Pier 5, for those old enough to remember), we'd sell the fish caught by our clients who were usually tourists staying in hotels. As they had no way to keep the fish, they'd just leave it on the boats. Locals would hit the pier at the end of the fishing day and we'd sell whole fish, fillets, steaks, whatever they wanted. We'd even sell smoked marlin, which was really sailfish, but as it was illegal to sell sailfish we'd call it white marlin.
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Just off the boat 2005/07/28 08:38:22 (permalink)
    I can go to the docks when the charters come in and clean fish for the Tourists and either barter with them or charge them to clean thier fish and I always get the pick the best filletts out of the bunch.Just had some fresh Grouper last nite that was swimming yesterday.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Just off the boat 2005/07/28 09:28:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

When I was young, I used to go with my grandmother to Sheepshead Bay (in Brooklyn). Charter fishing boats would dock there after a day on the Atlantic. Fishermen would just put some of their catch on the dock. My grandmother would buy the fresh fish, usually bluefish, (sometimes tuna or flounder, as I recall) take it home, bone in and broil it with olive oil, lemon, bread crumbs and lots of gralic. Sometimes she's add tomatoes, onions and capers, especially with tuna. It was so delicious to get this fish and she was such a good cook. I was wondering if this happens in other parts of the US, where you can buy fresh fish right off the dock....

NOt sure if you are still in the NY area, but you can go to where the party boats (charter boats) dock in Freeport, Captree, Montauk or Greenport, and if they have had a good day, there may be fish available. A sad reality is that the fish are not as plentiful as they once were, and the boats don't come back as loaded as they used to.

When traveling in Florida, Maine and Atlantic Canada I have often purchased fish, lobsters, even scallops right off of commercial fishing boats returning to dock. There have been times when I have paid more than they asked, because the prices are sometimes so low, I feel guilty! Whenever I travel up the coast to Maine, I am always sure to have my camp stove and frying pan with me, just in case I come across some good fresh seafood! I buy a stick of butter, some canned potatoes (for convenience, and cook up a nice one pan, picnic table meal!)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1