Hot!Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2403
2006/12/04 12:20:41 (permalink)

Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ

Ohhhhhhhhhh, what a glowing tribute to gluttony that place is! I love it and hate myself at the same time! It was great, but surreal to see the parade of triple deckers coming out (tongue and turkey, pastrami and corned beef, etc...) We had quite a bit of almost everything. Plates of pickles (sours, half-sours, dill, chips), health salad, sauerkraut, latkes with applesauce and sour cream, fries, onion rings, matzho ball soup, two double decker sandwiches (one roast beef and turkey, one pastrami and corned beef), and a nice big 32oz malted to wash it all down. I wasn't crazy about the roast or corned beef, but the turkey and the pastrami in particular were perfect! I was so completely full, until 1am, when I was compelled to make a pastrami and a turkey sandwich with my leftovers. That really hit the spot. Here's some pics:

28 Replies Related Threads

Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/04 13:38:43 (permalink)
    Lovely, lovely pics! It all looks good.
    Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/06 19:00:31 (permalink)
    ...i love harold's pastrami sandwiches - i can get at least 4 sandwiches out of one regular order, even after i've eaten my fill!

...the cakes in the bakery case scare me, though..." />
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/06 20:00:48 (permalink)
    Love the pictures! Great description and sounds like a must stop in Jersey.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/07 09:49:21 (permalink)
    Did you ever notice that they never name anyting in New York the "New Jersey" such and such?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/07 12:05:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Niagara

Did you ever notice that they never name anyting in New York the "New Jersey" such and such?

Except when we talk about New Jersey drivers!
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 07:02:27 (permalink)
    I couldn't find a website for Harold's to look at a menu. How much does one of those sandwiches cost?
    billyboy
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 07:40:09 (permalink)
    Hey, if you google Harold's New York Deli Menu a link will show up. Its the fifth listing that you click on. It should be the one that says this: Harold's New York Deli in North Jersey, NJ - AOL City Guide. After you click on that, go to "view menu", then sandwiches. I think they are around $35-$40.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 09:54:11 (permalink)
    Click[url='http://haroldsnystyledeli.com/']here[/url] for a direct link to Harold's.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 10:32:34 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosity..
    Just how much were those monsterous sandwiches..
    Gawd, they make my mouth water..
    Oh boy boy boy.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 11:03:47 (permalink)
    I haven't been to the Edison, NJ Harolds but I've eaten at the Parsippany location a number of times. I'd give it high marks for a NJ deli, but IMO it doesn't measure up to the delis in NYC (e.g., Katz's, Carnegie). The food quality at Harolds is pretty good and you certainly can't fault their generosity (which comes at a price), but I guess the monster sandwiches are not really an attraction to me. You can't pick them up, you can't really bite into them and you end up disecting them with knife-and-fork (or fingers). The leftovers get taken home and made into normal-size sandwiches which are more appealing to me.

Personally, I like to bite into a sandwich...if I wanted a platter of meat with bread on the side, I'd order it. I view Harolds as one of those restaurants best described as "Well, they give you a lot of food..." I wouldn't say that about Katz's, but I'd much rather go there.
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 11:05:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Just out of curiosity..
    Oh boy boy boy.

D/k how much they are now, but it should be on the link as posted earlier. Whatever--right on the menu, Harold's says "sharing is encouraged", and since it is impossible to even contemplate finishing one of those piles of cured meat at one sitting, you will either be sharing, or taking what you didn't finish home, where you will get at least one, maybe two more meals out of it. There is also no limit on what you want to eat from the pickle bar, which includes several types of pickled cucumbers and tomatoes, "health salad", breads, and addictive little sweet muffins.

BTW, Harold's does more that just let you pig out. The quality of the meats and sides is excellent--it is up there with the (sadly departed) Second Avenue deli.

Charlie
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 11:35:51 (permalink)
    I see $39.95 and "guaranteed" to feed 4.. that about 10 bucks a sandwich.
    That really isnt bad. (for NY)
    I would pay 10 bucks for a sandwich.
    I paid 10 bucks for a crappy burger at Ruby Tuesday....
    I think I would be getting my monies worth and more at Harolds!
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 13:39:18 (permalink)
    Harold's really has a brilliant business plan. They are getting you in as a sit down customer, but are really selling you carryout at the same time. The value is there, but you are spending a lot more than you would at a regular deli, even one like Carnegie.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 13:55:58 (permalink)
    "That really isnt bad. (for NY)"

You make a good point, Roosy, but I'm not sold.

It's not NY, it's a Holiday Inn in Parsippany, NJ (and I know my friends who still live in Manhattan would say, "they'd have to pay me!").

Also, when I order a good corned beef sandwich I rarely plan or want to be eating it for the next two days.

But, apparently this is a successful marketing plan, and I'm probably in the minority.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 14:06:22 (permalink)
    And leftover corned beef has a way of getting dried out.
    I agree with ya there, Ashphalt...
    I would rather just eat what I can and have enough leftover for a little sandwich later on..
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 14:23:55 (permalink)
    Of course, worse is when you don't have leftovers, but you're still eating it two days later.
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 15:33:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

"That really isnt bad. (for NY)"

You make a good point, Roosy, but I'm not sold.

It's not NY, it's a Holiday Inn in Parsippany, NJ (and I know my friends who still live in Manhattan would say, "they'd have to pay me!").

Also, when I order a good corned beef sandwich I rarely plan or want to be eating it for the next two days.

But, apparently this is a successful marketing plan, and I'm probably in the minority.

Just to avoid confusion, Harold's has two locations--one is the Holiday Inn in Parsippany, the other is the Holiday Inn in Edison, off Route 440.

I love leftover corned beef or pastrami. I fry it up in a cast iron pan and have it with eggs.

Charlie
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 21:04:49 (permalink)
    I agree. I generally felt Harold's was 2nd to 2nd Avenue Deli insofar as quality of pastrami. Hence, that now puts Harold's in the #1 spot, for now.

The last time I was at Harold's I felt the pastrami was just a tad too smoky. Of course, I was being hypercritical. Well, I mean, we're talking the championship here. You have to win by a knockout.

Harold's and some other places have spoiled me, wherein I now always expect the sandwich to be huge. While my last visit to 2nd Avenue Deli resulted in a world class pastrami sandwich and a truly perfect side order of chopped liver, I was disappointed by the average size of the sandwich. It will be interesting to see if any Deli in the NYC Metro area breaks to the front to claim the undisputed pastrami championship.
    The Bear
    quote:
    Originally posted by albinoni

quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Just out of curiosity..
    Oh boy boy boy.

D/k how much they are now, but it should be on the link as posted earlier. Whatever--right on the menu, Harold's says "sharing is encouraged", and since it is impossible to even contemplate finishing one of those piles of cured meat at one sitting, you will either be sharing, or taking what you didn't finish home, where you will get at least one, maybe two more meals out of it. There is also no limit on what you want to eat from the pickle bar, which includes several types of pickled cucumbers and tomatoes, "health salad", breads, and addictive little sweet muffins.

BTW, Harold's does more that just let you pig out. The quality of the meats and sides is excellent--it is up there with the (sadly departed) Second Avenue deli.

Charlie

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/08 22:52:44 (permalink)
    yes, Harold's has 2 locations, but only the one in Edison is still owned by the Harold himself.
    I've even spoke to Harold the last few times I've been in there. He used to be one of the propeiters of the Carnegie Deli in NYC in the 1980's.

How often do you have a restaurant owner that continually walks around schmoozing with his guests, and just plain caring about the customer?!?
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2006/12/09 12:19:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Of course, worse is when you don't have leftovers, but you're still eating it two days later.

George Carlin has a little snippet that I remember from about 25 years ago..
    (goes like this)

"Have ya ever burped, and tasted a hot dog you ate 2 days ago?"....

(Thats what your post just reminded me of..
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1309
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2013/12/22 23:07:25 (permalink)
    Bringing this thread back because Harold's Deli was featured on the front page. I'm wondering if the person who gave Harold's one star ate at the one in Edison or one of the other ones; the one in Parsippany, now out of business (the owner was a crook), was kind of mediocre, but the one in Lyndhurst is garbage, and so is its management.

Bart
    Filetofish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2013/12/23 06:45:40 (permalink)
    Quite a menu!
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2013/12/23 09:02:17 (permalink)
    douginvirginia

I couldn't find a website for Harold's to look at a menu. How much does one of those sandwiches cost?

It appears to be $22.45 up to $70.95 (with a side of apple sauce - see triple deckers) -  http://haroldsfamousdeli.com/
    post edited by mjambro - 2013/12/23 09:08:13
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2300
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2013/12/23 10:27:21 (permalink)
    Well, that settles it.  I'm totally up for a seventy-one dollar sandwich, as long as it comes with a side of applesauce.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2013/12/23 10:37:29 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot, billyboy. Now I have to replace yet another drool ruined keyboard.
    billyboy
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2013/12/23 19:28:47 (permalink)
    TW, my work here is done!  (Rubs hands together maniacally).  Honestly, I haven't been there in years and could use another visit soon!
    post edited by billyboy - 2013/12/24 13:46:07
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 481
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2013/12/24 11:32:58 (permalink)
    We finally got to try Harold's this past fall. I was a bit skeptical, wondering if the over-abundance would mean poor quality. We spit a "large" pastrami sandwich (2 sizes - large, and xtra-large). We each made a hefty sandwich from it, and took home the rest - and made 3 more sandwiches. The pickle bar was terrific, and the pastrami was really great - it's no Katz's, but what else is?? In a land with limited good deli, I would easily recommend Harold's for the pastrami.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1309
    RE: Just went to Harold's New York Deli in Edison, NJ 2013/12/25 13:50:12 (permalink)
    TnTinCT We finally got to try Harold's this past fall. I was a bit skeptical, wondering if the over-abundance would mean poor quality. We spit a "large" pastrami sandwich (2 sizes - large, and xtra-large). We each made a hefty sandwich from it, and took home the rest - and made 3 more sandwiches. The pickle bar was terrific, and the pastrami was really great - it's no Katz's, but what else is?? In a land with limited good deli, I would easily recommend Harold's for the pastrami.

Harold's (the one in Edison, NJ, not the other(s)) actually smokes their own pastrami, and are not worried that their customers might actually taste some smoke flavor.

To clarify my earlier statement, the owner of the Harold's in Parsippany, NJ was literally a crook, as in went to jail (which is why it closed). The one near me in Paramus, NJ closed years ago, and was pretty decent, but not as good as Edison. As for the one in Lyndhurst switched to what appears to be supermarket pastrami (as well as switching other recipes), and has a caveat emptor attitude (when my wife and I complained about a serious problem, the manager kept blowing us off; after the 4th promise to call us "tomorrow", we got the hint).

Bart
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1