KC Barbeque

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mcguirejohnr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/02/23 11:40:31 (permalink)
Going to try a new one from this list of my "haven't tried yet".

Big Q  -  S. 34th Street
Epp's BBQ  -  Kaw Drive
Hickory Log BBQ  -  Welborn Lane
Bear's BBQ  -  NW Englewood Road

I did hit Pork-N-Pit (NE Colbern Road) and Porky's Blazin BBQ (Buckner Tarnsey Road) last week.  Pork-N-Pit was NOT good...no smoke and microwaved.  Porky's Blazin was pretty darn good.  Smokey brisket that was still moist and good baby backs (even though I'm not a huge baby back fan).
mcguirejohnr
Cheeseburger
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/02/23 14:39:49 (permalink)
Big Q was a huge disappointment.  Yelp has it listed twice, once as "Big Q" that has pretty poor reviews and once as "Big Q Barbecue" which has great reviews.  The poor reviews are the correct ones...don't bother with this place.

HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/02/23 14:44:26 (permalink)
mcguirejohnr
Thanks for the info. I will avoid Big Q
mcguirejohnr
Cheeseburger
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/02/24 16:27:50 (permalink)
I will be trying out Bear's BBQ on Saturday.
mcguirejohnr
Cheeseburger
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/02/25 20:47:19 (permalink)
Tried Bears BBQ today.  Not bad, probably a strong 3 out of 5 stars.  Beef was cut a little thicker than typical in KC so that was good.  Spare ribs were good and pretty well rendered but were still dripping grease which was a little weird.  Spicy sausage was tasty but nothing special.  Pulled pork was very good as was the ham.  Burnt ends were decent but were simply pieces of the brisket flat cut up not double smoked brisket point.  I call this style "brownies".  I just can't find burnt ends to rival LCs and Big Ts.
HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/02/27 11:11:21 (permalink)
Thanks mcguirejohnr for updating us! I only get to KC a few times a year and almost always go back to the old stand bys.

Johnny McClanahan
mcguirejohnr
Cheeseburger
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/02/28 10:31:30 (permalink)
Tired to eat at Epps BBQ (sometimes called Mr. Epps BBQ) but it was closed.  Hours said open but it wasn't.  The smoker out front was running full steam though so I'll try again.  From the outside it looked AWESOME...a dumpy little place with a smoker out front...perfect.

In Memphis now with Leonards and Paynes on the schedule.  Then off to New Orleans for a few days.
HOP
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/04/14 14:46:50 (permalink)
My wife and I were in North Kansas City the other day so we stopped for lunch at Smokin' Guns BBQ. I had my usual large combo sandwich of brisket and turkey. Both meats were tender, smoky, and juicy...just great. I also had the bbq beans which were very good. They too were smoky and had plenty of chunks of meat and great spices. Against my advice my wife had a ham sandwich and fries. I thought the ham was ok but it's not something I order at a bbq joint. The fries were just ordinary frozen potatoes that were fried up. However, the sauce there is great.......a little bit of sweet and just a little heat but PLENTY of spices and flavor. This place is very underrated as far as great bbq joints in Kansas City go.  Smokin' Guns won the Grand Champion title at the 1999 Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational Barbeque contest. You don't find competition grade bbq at a restaurant very often......thank goodness Kansas City has one.
post edited by HOP - 2012/04/14 14:58:15
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4654
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/04/15 11:20:15 (permalink)
Just  a reminder that tomorrow's "No Reservations"
is Tony touring (mainly) BBQ joints in KC.
 No Reservations: Kansas City Journal - photo 1
HOP
Junior Burger
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/04/21 13:19:02 (permalink)
First, although I enjoyed the show on the Travel Channel  I feel it didn't do enough justice to each individual bbq joint.

Now, we went to BB's Lawnside BBQ at 85th & Holmes in Kansas City yesterday and got there at 12:30 and the place was crowded. We managed to get the last booth and while my wife got her usual( Sweet Mama's Fried Chicken Sandwich /w/ skillet fries ) I wanted to try something I'd never had there before. I got the Big Walter's Mixed Meat Sandwich /w/ battered fries and pit beans.

My wife's sandwich was a fried chicken breast with mozzarella cheese and BB's sweet bbq sauce on a bun. The skillet fries are small chunks of potatoes that are fried VERY crispy. She loves these items. I've tried it in the past and they are very good although I have my doubts about mozzarella cheese on a bbq sandwich......

The Big Walter's sandwich is a chopped mixed meat sandwich with burnt ends, brisket, sausage, turkey, pulled pork, and ham piled high and covered with BB's sweet sauce on a big sesame seed bun. All of the meats were tender, juicy, and smokey. A great sandwich. Their pit beans are very good although theirs have more green pepper than many others. A nice change though. BB's battered fries are the best fried potatoes I've ever had....they're that good !  They fry up fresh cut potato chunks in a batter until they are VERY crispy on  the outside but tender on the inside.

If you like barbeque, blues, and beer this is the place to go.
HOP
Junior Burger
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/04/25 14:46:28 (permalink)
I went to LC's BBQ again today for lunch and am ready to proclaim it as Kansas City's best. And this is someone who has been to Gates and Arthur Bryant's many times over the years. My turkey/brisket sandwich was tender, juicy, and smoky and covered in LC's great sauce. The fries were hot & crispy, fresh cut and fried in lard, not greasy or too salty. The beans were smoky, meaty, and have great molasses flavor. I can't say enough good things about this place except it's the best in Kansas City.
HarryDunn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/07/21 19:48:41 (permalink)
I think Gates BBQ from KC has the best sauce I've tasted ever.  Have it shipped to myself all of the time!
mcguirejohnr
Cheeseburger
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/09/05 11:38:39 (permalink)
Try the sausage at Gates if you haven't yet.  Very different from any other sausages I have had and very good...especially if you get one that has been on the pit a long time.
mcguirejohnr
Cheeseburger
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/10/25 18:25:16 (permalink)
Just an FYI, Mr. Epps appears to have closed down.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4654
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/12/05 22:35:05 (permalink)
Documentary filmmakers want to prove that KC's barbecue is the best | Fat City

Kansas City is one big barbecue biosphere. The scent of wood smoking permeates our neighborhoods, barbecue sauce runs as thick as Brush Creek, and Kansas Citians can't hold a gathering without putting fire to meat.

This summer, filmmakers Martin Diggs and Kevin Fossland, the pair behind Burnt Ends Media, set out to understand why that's the case, capturing footage at barbecue competitions and raising money for their untitled documentary, which they hope to release next fall. Diggs sat down with The Pitch to explain how the project came about and what they're shooting now.
[font="'helvetica neue', arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.46666717529297px; background-color: #fcfcfc"] 
The Pitch: What was the impetus for making a documentary about Kansas City barbecue?
Diggs: Kevin and I have known each other for years. We were at KU at the exact same time. We always joke that we probably spilled beer on each other. I moved back here five or six years ago and started working at the Melting Pot. Kevin was a bartender there, and we became fast friends. We worked together at Trezo Mare before moving on to JJ's Restaurant.
Back in May, Kevin was talking about an idea for an app - a menu-based, location-based app for restaurants. He decided to narrow his focus and picked barbecue. While doing research, he realized that nobody had done a documentary just on Kansas City barbecue. My background was in film. [Diggs got his start working on Robert Altman's Kansas City after graduating from the University of Kansas with a degree in film.] And we just started going from there.
Barbecue is an all-encompassing term. What's your focus with this film?
It's the culture of barbecue in Kansas City that we want to focus on. We [including producer and KC native Julie Clark] broke it down into five elements: history, the business side of restaurants, food trucks and caterers, the methodology (barbecuing versus grilling, how wood affects meat, particular styles), competitions and rituals (tailgating, family celebrations, holidays, backyard barbecues).
What have you been filming?
When we first started talking [in May], the competitions were in full swing, and one of the guys we work with, Matt Nichols [JJ's general manager], is a competition barbecuer. We started going to competitions, and the first one we really shot was the Lenexa state championship. We look at it seasonally. We're trying to get in the rhythm of what happens in Kansas City in a calendar year.
The football season is going on now and that will go into winter. I've been a barbecuer the last 10 years. I realize that I had the bug because I was willing to cook outside in winter. We're also looking at spending time at a restaurant: what's it like, a day in the life for the cooks and their families. 
With tailgating, we need to take a new approach. And one thing that's never been covered is the prep, the back story of that day the week before. People pick themes - it's Mexican for the San Diego game or chicken wings for the Falcons. We sat down with a couple that has a famous grill with a Chiefs helmet on it. They live an hour and a half from the stadium, and what they go through to cook on game day is incredible.
In springtime, that's when competition season starts up. The thing is, we keep finding barbecue everywhere. Think about how many ribs they're cooking at Kauffman Stadium or how Sporting KC is becoming a huge tailgating spot. They're singing a barbecue song during the game.
Is Kansas City really that different from other barbecue meccas?
What we do in our day-to-day lives, I can't imagine there is any other place in the world that is as dedicated to barbecue like Kansas City. We're going to ruffle feathers with Texans, Memphis and the Carolinas. This is our dissertation as to why Kansas City is the barbecue capital of the world. If you can prove it otherwise, you're more than welcome. But we're putting it out there.
Who is your audience?
This is for Kansas City, but our focus is to show everyone the rest of the story. We want this to be on the festival circuit. We think it's important to preserve the history, but it's also a selling point to come to the Midwest. People know the name KC Masterpiece, but they don't know about the guys that make the rubs, the sauce makers, the caterers.
Was there a moment you shot that you know will be in the final cut?
We shot the American Royal this fall. We were running different crews. A team let me shoot them pulling their chicken from the oven. They were moving it to the trailer and then selecting the pieces for their turn-in box [for judging]. The banter between the two of them, the nervous energy, was incredible. They were a married couple. It was one of those little married moments when they're snapping back and forth. They're whispering like they're in church or at a golf tournament like, if they speak too loudly, something is going to happen to the chicken and it's not going to work out. Watching how meticulous they were was just priceless.
What are the stories you hope to uncover in the coming months?
There are so many stories. In the early 1900s, it was estimated there were 1,000 stands for barbecue in Kansas City. We want to find somebody with a grandfather who ran a stand, who has pictures or stories. 
We all know that barbecue is big in Kansas City, but the extent of how big constantly blows us away. It really is part of Kansas City, more so than anyone can imagine. There's also an older crowd. There's no gentle way to put it. And we have to get these people on film because their story is so important. I was talking to Paul Kirk [Kansas City Barbeque Society founding member] at the American Royal, and I asked if we could sit down and have a conversation. Kirk looked at me and said, "Well, hurry up. I'm not getting any younger.
radhunionline
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:KC Barbeque 2012/12/12 05:06:51 (permalink)
One of my favourite food item. Also Very good sauce. Their chopped burnt end sandwich, the Super Crispy, is my favorite. Radhuni like it.
post edited by radhunionline - 2012/12/12 05:08:14
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1