KC: I-70 from STL or I-35 from DSM?

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5143
2014/01/17 11:13:30 (permalink)

KC: I-70 from STL or I-35 from DSM?

I'm possibly travelling to Kansas City from Wisconsin and there are 2 major routes available: I-70 west from St. Louis or I-35 south from Des Moines.  Can anyone comment on whether or not one is significantly better than the other?  Right now I'm leaning toward I-35 because it's shorter, but Google Maps isn't showing me anything all that interesting along the way.  Thanks!

3 Replies Related Threads

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 837
    Re:KC: I-70 from STL or I-35 from DSM? 2014/01/17 11:30:50 (permalink)
    Last year the son & I did the St L to KC as part of a trek from Long Island to west of Denver. Went through Allentown, Pitt, Cincy, Owensboro (side trip), St L, KC and then Denver.  The trip took 3 days so we didn't do any sightseeing.  We hit Ted Drews in St L and A Bryant's in KC but nothing between. Sorry I can't be much of a help but it was a great trip.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    Re:KC: I-70 from STL or I-35 from DSM? 2014/01/17 14:00:29 (permalink)
    This is a "discussion" Mrs. Roadhouse and I have been having for close to 35 years of regular travel between Chicago and KC.  I-80 to Des Moines, then south on I-35 is in fact the shorter route.  It is also bleaker, more desolate, and more likely to put you to sleep than the I-55/I-70 route.

Don't get me wrong, I-70 isn't exactly a treasure trove of fascinating roadside attractions and hidden dining gems, although, they exist to some degree.  But it does give you more more, and closer sources for help in case of an emergency, and better options for getting off the road for breaks in well lit, well populated areas.

You've got the option of running through St. Louis (nothing beats a dead-of-winter stop for frozen custard at Ted Drewes), or if you're trying to make time, bypassing the city on I-270, then hooking back up with I-70 a few miles west.

All that being said, on our last trip, back in December, we opted to take I-72 west out of Springfield (IL), which turns into state route 36 in Missouri.  36 runs into I-35 which we then took into KC.  This was strictly a time decision.  The I-72/36 route rivals the Iowa path for sheer mind numbing dullness.  If we'd gotten an earlier start, and if we weren't staying at an apartment that was so far north of town, i would have definitely taken the I-70 option.

Have a great trip!

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re:KC: I-70 from STL or I-35 from DSM? 2014/01/17 14:37:19 (permalink)
    Geez, after a ringing endorsement like that I think we might as well just stay home.

All of the driving would be done during the day so that helps, and a final stop for fuel (car and human) in Des Moines should be enough to get us into KC.  Plus our route to Des Moines actually avoids I-80 until Iowa City, as we use US-151 from Dubuque to Cedar Rapids.

When it comes to bleak and desolate, I-39 from Rockford to Bloomington has always done a good job with that and I-55 to St. Louis isn't all that great, either.  Not to mention that Mrs. Chicken won't let me stop at Country Classics...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1