KC has a burger for every taste

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2010/07/09 09:50:04 (permalink)

KC has a burger for every taste

Article from Kansas City Star on burgers. Did Buddy Roadhouse get a burger named after him, note it has BBQ sauce on it ?
(B.R.G.R. Kitchen + Bar)
The Roadhouse, a juicy patty of 75/25 Angus beef topped with gooey Wisconsin cheddar, a tangle of fried onions and barbecue sauce served on a light yellow corn bun.)

From high-end to low-brow, KC has a burger for every taste

In the economic downturn, burgers are one of the few bright spots.
The hamburger/sandwich/wrap category is the only restaurant category to post growth in the number of servings sold last year, and lunch contributed 48 percent of that growth, according to NPD Group, a market research company.

Experts say burgers are booming because they’re accessible, customizable, affordable and portable. An all-beef patty is also easy to gussy up or dress down, depending on your mood and the thickness of your wallet.

So if you’re slapping gristly, greasy, frozen, pre-fab slabs on the grill this weekend, don’t be surprised if family and friends grab your spatula and beat a path to one of the bright spots in Burger Town.

The nation’s fastest growing chain, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, is serving juicy burgers stacked your way. Meanwhile, high-end joints, like the locally grown Blanc Burgers + Bottles, are upping the ante with luxurious toppings, including a Kobe burger topped with a lobster tail.

Smashburger
Overland Park (6551 W. 119th St.) and Lawrence (4821 W. Sixth St.), www.smashburger.com
If you think a hamburger patty is a canvas for creativity, Smashburger is for you.
A slick, modern burger joint based out of Denver, Smashburger decorates its locations with bold graphics and the comfy booths of fast, casual restaurants that cost just as much — and require a tip.
There are seven signature Smashburgers, including the Kansas City, featuring grilled onions, sauteed garlic mushrooms, Swiss cheese and haystack onions with A-1 sauce on an egg bun. Prices range from $4.99 to $6.99.
One-third or half-pound lumps of fresh certified Angus ground beef are smashed with a spatula, seared and seasoned on a grill. The irregular shaped patties peek out from the bun of your choice (classic egg, multigrain or spicy chipotle). Gourmet add-ons include applewood smoked bacon ($1.49), chili, fried egg, guacamole or garlic mushrooms (99 cents) or fried pickles, extra cheese or haystack onions (49 cents). The burgers are served in a basket lined with paper and leave just enough of a grease smudge on the table for you to know they’ll be tasty.
Shoestring-cut regular and sweet potato fries are gussied up in rosemary, olive oil and garlic. The fries were tasty, but try the veggie frites — flash-fried asparagus spears, carrot sticks and green beans — for a colorful change of pace.
Better still, you can enjoy your burger with bottled beer, a bucket of beer or wines by the glass. — JWS

Five Guys Burgers and Fries
Olathe (14965 W. 119th St.), Overland Park (12025 Metcalf Ave.), Kansas City (8952 N. Skyview Ave.), Liberty (118 Conistor Lane), Lee’s Summit (614 N.E. Missouri 291), Kansas City, Kan. (1803 Village West Parkway), and Lawrence (2040 W. 31st St.), www.fiveguys.com
Hurry! Hurry! Step right up.
The burger experience at Five Guys is a bit like a day at the circus. And not just because the Obamas and their ensuing media entourage have made it so.
For starters, there’s the striking red-and-white tile décor. There’s the server bellowing out order numbers. And then there are the shell peanuts to snack on while you wait.
The burger joint got its start in 1986 in Arlington, Va. There are 616 locations in 37 states. Two hundred more restaurants are due to open in 2010. The first in our area opened in 2008 in Lee’s Summit.
Five Guys’ ground beef burgers are no-frills: single or double patties served plain, with cheese or with bacon. You can add various toppings for free, but none is what might be considered particularly “gourmet.” Prices range from $3.29 for a little hamburger to $5.59 for a bacon cheeseburger.
The thick-skinned fries come in two varieties: plain and Cajun-spiced. The fries are dunked in peanut oil, which seeps through the brown paper sack they are served in. Be sure to remove the burger from its foil wrapper ASAP, or it will continue to steam inside. The well-done burgers are juicy enough that my toasted bun went limp, and by the last bite I was left licking tasty meat juices from my fingertips.
No wonder the walls are lined with glowing reviews from magazines and newspapers from around the country. — JWS

B:2
860 W. N.W. Blue Parkway, Lee’s Summit, 816-224-9696, www.b2-burgers.com
Say it with me now: two all-beef patties, special sauce, leaf lettuce, white cheddar cheese, pickles, red onions, on a sesame egg bun.
OK, the tweaked burger’s description doesn’t roll off the tongue as easily as the famed 1975 commercial the boomer generation sang as kids. But like the iconic burger it updates, the B:Mac is a sign of our food times: fresh, local and competitively priced.
B:2 is Ernesto Peralta Jr.’s approachable, affordable, family-style spin on his wildly successful upscale burger boutique, Blanc Burgers + Bottles. Peralta says he has set his sights on expanding both concepts into other Midwestern states.
While burgers at Blanc range from $7 to $21 and include luxury toppings such as foie gras butter, Berkshire ham and lobster tail, the most expensive burger at B:2 is $8.
Even if the toppings at B:2 are more in line with kids’ tastes, adults can get a nice bite out of the Summit Burger, a tasty medium-cooked burger trumped up with the tang of blue cheese and pickled red onion, with the added bite of horseradish mayo and arugula on a potato bun by local bakery Farm to Market. — JWS

B.R.G.R. Kitchen + Bar
4038 W. 83rd St., Prairie Village, 913-825-2747, www.brgrkitchen.com
The B.R.G.R. menu — pronounced as B-R-G-R, not “burger” — includes “modern adaptations” of “historical” burgers. The menu was created by Michael Slavin, a former personal chef with the Royals, and as the press release on the website indicates, the concept is designed to be franchised.
The décor is modern farmhouse meets retro diner with lots of comfort food on the menu. But burger purists will want to stick with the classics, the Big Mock, Philly, Pittsburg, Knob Hill, Tex-Az My and the Roadhouse, a juicy patty of 75/25 Angus beef topped with gooey Wisconsin cheddar, a tangle of fried onions and barbecue sauce served on a light yellow corn bun.
The beef is ground daily, and you can order a burger cooked from medium rare to well done, based on a legend denoting the number of flips involved on the grill. A side-by-side comparison found there really is a difference: The medium rare had a slightly pink center; the medium was gray through the center.
While most new burger joints have added sweet potato fries, B.R.G.R.’s are perfectly crisp, not greasy and salted, just right. Definitely some of the best around.
Nearly every burger on the menu is $8. Add a fried egg to any burger for $1. Little burgers are $6 for kids under 10.
You can also choose from a variety of beer, wine, contemporary cocktails and adult shakes. — JWS

Hamburger Mary’s
101 Southwest Blvd., 816-842-1919, www.hamburgermaryskc.com
This is my kind of summer camp: a flamingly gay diner serving up flame-broiled burgers with flamboyant toppings and a side of sass.
You don’t need the address to find Hamburger Mary’s. Just cruise Southwest Boulevard near downtown and look for a two-story building painted Barney purple.
On warm evenings the upper deck facing the street is the place to see and be seen, but for your first time, you want to venture inside for the full Mary experience. The cozy kitsch decor starts with retro modern furnishings and vintage textiles, then layers on every gay reference in the book, from posters of Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn to monitors playing ABBA and Madonna music videos to the ruby red high-heel slipper that your check comes in. It’s fabulous, honey.
And what scrumptious burgers. The basic Mary ($8, including side of fries, slaw or potato salad) is a half-pound charbroiled patty on a brioche or multigrain bun with house sauce and lettuce and pickle on the side. There’s no split plate charge for sharing one, which is the way to go if you have a normal appetite.
The kitchen does everything right when it comes to charbroiling, a technique that is easier to screw up than flat grilling: The meat is juicy and smoky without the crust of burnt char that ruins many a flame-cooked burger.
And servers ask patrons what degree of doneness they prefer. That is getting harder and harder to find in the age of food paranoia, but well-done over a fire results in a really dry burger. That said, if you like a slightly pink but cooked center, ask for medium or medium-well. On one visit I asked for medium rare and got a tasty facsimile of steak tartare seared around the edges. I ate it but realized I don’t need my burger as rare as my ribeye.
The other toppings offered are as fun and fattening as specialty pizzas, featuring fave ingredients such as blue cheese, chili, mushrooms or pineapple and teriyaki sauce — if you’re looking for microgreens or avocados, you’re in the wrong place. The artery-busting entrant is the Big Johnson ($12), stuffed with jalapenos, green chilies and onions and topped with cream cheese, Swiss, jack, cheddar, bacon and a fried egg.
For a buck, you can upgrade your side to sweet potato fries, onion rings, chili or soup, all well worth it. — CH

The Pool Hall in Platte City
238 Main St., Platte City, 816-858-9989
If you are militant about smoke-free establishments, you can cross this hidden gem right off your list.
And that would be sad, because you might be missing out on a contender for best burger in the metro and hands-down the best-value burger at — ready? — $2.50. The Pool Hall’s one-third pound masterpiece is made from a hand-formed fresh beef patty seared on a 60-plus-year-old grill and topped with lettuce, onions, pickles and, only when they are in season in the area, tomato.
Old-timers swear the secret to the succulent beefy flavor of the Pool Hall’s burger is the well-“seasoned” grill, but I would add the technique itself is preferable to the sexier cooking over fire because not a drop of the precious meat juices are lost. Instead, they caramelize and get smashed back into the patty. The bartender/cooks at the hall have it down: their burger is a two-napkin juice bomb.
The sides are all frozen and deep-fried, but two are stand-outs: the Texas Toothpicks (large jalapeno and onion slivers, $2.50) and Jalapeno Bottlecaps (fat cross slices of jalapeno for all the fire without the heavy cheese camouflage of poppers).
The atmosphere is honky-tonk, straight out of a Hollywood film. The long, narrow, high-ceilinged, 100-year-old building offers pool, a jukebox, a long bar, and high and low wooden tables with an ashtray on every one — you’ve been warned.
Most of the customers are sociable locals. On one trip my companion, a smoker, was without fire, and a table of regulars took turns stopping by our table to offer a light whenever one made a trip to the restroom. Now that’s friendly. — CH

Starker’s Restaurant
201 W. 47th St., 816-753-3565, www.starkersrestaurant.com
Owner/chef John McClure’s 8-ounce lunch burger is no simple smashed patty.
For starters, he grinds a blend of filet (for delicate texture and tenderness), ribeye (for richness) and KC strip (for “a nice meaty flavor,” he says).
Each burger has two 4-ounce discs pinched together at the edges. Why? Because between the two comes a molten stuffing of brown-sugar candied bacon and Shatto Dairy cheese curds.
The result sits up on its bun like a regal brown jewel.
Some slop-conscious diners commence burger-eating by slicing the sandwich in two. That would be especially appropriate in this case, if only to control the ooze. And given the semi-liquid center, for power-lunchers a tie tuck would also be in order.
A house-made pickle and fries come on the side. With white tablecloths and a Country Club Plaza view, this burger, at $9, seems like a steal. — SP

Room 39
Kansas City (1719 W. 39th St.) and Leawood (10561 Mission Road), www.rm39.com
This reliable, small-and-fine favorite turns out reasonably priced fare at lunch, and the Room 39 Burger is no exception.
It’s an 8-ounce serving of grilled prime ground chuck, and when it arrives at your wood-top table, you’ll find the sandwich quite up to satisfying every requirement on your mental burger checklist: It’s textured, meaty, juicy and savory all at once.
Topped with a simple stack of lettuce, red onion and tomato, the $8 sandwich (with house-made fries) may be all you need (add 75 cents for a choice of cheddar, gruyere or blue cheese).
But for $2 more you can top it with a fried egg, and then you’ll be starting to swing. — SP

Webster House
1644 Wyandotte St., 816-221-4713, www.websterhousekc.com
For many of the well-appointed diners at this elegant eatery in an antique store, lunch is likely to mean salads, fine soups and knockout desserts.
But a respectable, filling burger can be had (for $11), and you can do it in casual high style while sitting, not in the dining room, but in the sunlighted, casual comfort of the bar.
The straightforward Webster House Black Pepper Burger is made of ground tenderloin and sirloin. Order it medium, and it’s likely to come out succulent and flavorful beneath a crispy, charred exterior. The trappings, besides the promised peppery edge, include a soft, buttery bun, lightly toasted on the inside; two thin slices of Swiss cheese; lettuce; and a balsamic-marinated tomato slice, with servings of mustard and house-made ketchup on the side.
A hefty serving of fries will make for a guaranteed pig-out. You can substitute soup (one recent day it was a luscious tomato-basil) for an extra couple of bucks and feel a bit less stuffed, though a little lighter in the wallet than had you gone to, say, Wendy’s, on your way back to the office. — SP

Blanc Burgers + Bottles
Country Club Plaza (4710 Jefferson St.), Leawood (10583 Mission Road), www.blancburgers.com
Perhaps the most luxurious burger on the block?
Pony up for the Surf + Turf burger at Blanc Burgers + Bottles.
For $21, a thick, half-pound American Kobe patty is crowned with a 5-ounce grilled Maine lobster tail. To marry the land and sea, a tarragon aioli acts as a special sauce, while a decidedly upscale asparagus salad made from razor-thin diagonally cut stalks replaces the traditional ruffle of lettuce. Finally, it’s all stacked on a pillowy rosemary brioche bun.
The burger is new to the menu since the restaurant moved from Westport to the Country Club Plaza in February. In March, the Inside Out Burger was named best burger in Missouri by Food Network Magazine. But owner Ernesto Peralta Jr. says despite the price, the lobster burger ranks in the restaurant’s top five-sellers.
Burger fever continues to sizzle across the land, which is one reason Peralta is opening Blanc Burgers + Bottles in Little Rock, Ark., and Omaha later this year. — JWS

Posted on Thu, Jul. 08, 2010 03:38 AM

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/07/2066876/burger-business-booms-in-kansas.html#ixzz0tBzzHQxm

23 Replies Related Threads

zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/09 15:26:16 (permalink)
    The article is generating much controversy here in KC. Three of the places are chains, with a fourth soon to become one. There are 5 pages of comments on the KC Star website. LC's Steakburgers (not to be confused with LC's BBQ) Town Topic and Westport Flea Market weren't listed and many people are very annoyed by that. I was happy to see Room 39 on the list. They are located a block and a half from my house. Their burger is very good! It's a wonderful little place.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/09 16:48:19 (permalink)
    I'm with zataar; that's an annoying list.  Winstead's, whether you love 'em or hate 'em, should've made the list, just based on hometown favorite status.  Although I'm not as big a fan of Town Topic's burgers as I am of the total Town Topic "experience", I agree, they too should have been included.  Finally, Westport Flea Market's burgers have been renowned for years as some of the best in town.

As for The Roadhouse Burger served at B.R.G.R., we have no connection with it that I am aware of.  If they are using our sauce as a topping, they are buying it by the bottle through the internet.  We currently do not have distribution for retail or food service in the KC metro area.  There is a grocery chain in Milwaukee called Sendik's whose butcher department has offered a premade Roadhouse Burger with our sauce mixed into the raw ground beef, ready to hit the grill.

I'll be in KC in October for the American Royal, and again at Christmas.  I'll be keeping this list handy...

Buddy
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/09 16:54:16 (permalink)
    zataar

The article is generating much controversy here in KC. Three of the places are chains, with a fourth soon to become one. There are 5 pages of comments on the KC Star website. LC's Steakburgers (not to be confused with LC's BBQ) Town Topic and Westport Flea Market weren't listed and many people are very annoyed by that. I was happy to see Room 39 on the list. They are located a block and a half from my house. Their burger is very good! It's a wonderful little place.

Zataar

which is better?
    Westport Flea Market or LC's Steakburger?

How are they similar or different?
    zataar
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/09 18:24:07 (permalink)
    Buddy,
    Winstead's should have been on this list! We still go there every so often. They aren't giant burgers and the price is right.

WJ,
    I not sure I can compare the Flea Market and LC's Steakburger. LC's is more along the lines of Winstead's. Very thin, almost crispy meat. Pretty much a carry out place, too. I think LC's is excellent.

The Flea Market burgers are of the thicker variety. The service set up is quirky and it can get very raucous on the weekends. A good place for a beverage, burger and curly fries. I like the Flea Market, too. I like that you can get a smaller size burger. I wish they would use higher quality items on their condiment bar, but that would be my only complaint.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/09 23:21:34 (permalink)
    Well hell I thought everyone on Roadfood would get a kick out of this article, but oh no, I stepped in a deep pile of steaming burgers. LMAO.

I assume Buddy and hopefully others will give us a full report including pictures, before years end.

This project sounds like a  needed, Buddy Roadhouse, Buffet Buster, ChiTownDiner, Mayor Al and others Road trip.
    Jack
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/07/09 23:32:25
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/10 01:44:04 (permalink)
    Jack,

I think your instincts were spot on.  The article was meant to generate discussion and debate and it has done just that.  I think you missed a good bet though by putting it in the Professional's Forum instead of the more general Hamburger Forum.  A lot of folks who aren't in the business avoid the Pro Forums, missing out on this opportunity to rant and complain.  If I were you I'd ask one of the moderators to move it to the Burger Forum.  Then you'd really see some responses.

A Burger Tour of KC would be a heck of a thing.  If we could get the timing right it would be an all-star cast of Roadfood characters.  And it probably wouldn't include some of those places listed in the article, specifically the chains.  On the other hand I can think of a couple of places I would include that didn't make the list.

Buddy
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 408
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/10 09:10:28 (permalink)
    big bams in shawnee and austins in olathe. good burgers
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/10 09:31:14 (permalink)
    A burger tour of Kansas City? Sounds good to me. When do we eat?                             
    zataar
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/10 12:04:46 (permalink)
    I loved reading the comments on the Star's website. It appears folks in KC are nearly as passionate about burgers as bbq.

There are so many little, independent places that do good burgers. Hi Boy, Grandstand, Big Burger, Stack's, Paul's, Harold's, I could name even more. They all seem to do different styles, which keeps things interesting.

KennyB, I haven't heard of Austins, Olathe is out of my radar. Where in Olathe is it and what kind of burgers do they have. Thin, thick, grilled, flattop?
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 923
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/10 16:26:10 (permalink)
      BURGERS!?   In KC.?   I think I'd have to visit for quite awhile before I stray from burnt ends....     Karen, I tried to google earth your house... Is it the one with the Indonesian spice garden & Tandoori oven in the backyard?  
    zataar
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/10 18:16:18 (permalink)
    AHI,  we do have things growing that could be used in Indonesian cooking! But sadly, no tandoori oven.

:)
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/10 20:30:45 (permalink)
    Ahi, now that you mention it, a burnt ends burger would be a great thing.
    Sidney's R.I.P.
    Better than Winstead's, with the flying clouds in the ceiling.
    Alas, destroyed for a mere Board of Trade.
    Damn Capitalists!
    zataar
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/10 21:22:37 (permalink)
    When are you coming home?

Do you remember Roy Rays at 44th and Main? Really good onion rings and burgers.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/11 02:08:17 (permalink)
    zataar

There are so many little, independent places that do good burgers. Hi Boy, Grandstand, Big Burger, Stack's, Paul's, Harold's, I could name even more. They all seem to do different styles, which keeps things interesting.

zataar, Hi Boy would definitely be on my list.  Also, there's a Mexican place across the street from Hi Boy that I'm told makes a good burger.  Not sure of the name, but if you've been to Hi Boy, you've seen the place.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2010/07/11 02:11:18
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/11 09:19:23 (permalink)
    zataar

When are you coming home?

Do you remember Roy Rays at 44th and Main? Really good onion rings and burgers.

loved it. and the Wishbone was right across the street
    I was always an Eaton's fan.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/11 11:14:03 (permalink)
    AHI MPLS

BURGERS!?   In KC.? 

Of course! ABSOLUTELY!

It's really not surprising at all.

There's no doubt that the mid section of the country is our nation's "Burger Belt"

kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/11 16:13:54 (permalink)
    austins is at 151 st and murlen. there is one in gardner as well. it is a sports bar that has great 1/2 pound hand formed grilled burgers.
    Beef&Fries
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/11 22:56:05 (permalink)
    here's a second for Bam's in Shawnee, also for Paul's on Blue Ridge, added bonus is both places have tater tots...

But I've got to add that I've been disappointed the last two times I've been to the Flea Market, I love the place but they've lost their edge.

I've tried both 5Guys and Smashburger since they came in KC, and both are very good, different but very good, but I'd rather give my money to a local.

And I second the comment about Town Topic, my memory tells me the burgers are fantastic, but I don't think I've ever had one before midnight, standard procedure at Town Topic at 2am is to order a big breakfast and double burgerw/grilled onions, burger arrives quickly and about the time you finish it they slide the bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast in front of you. them's good eats.
    zataar
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/12 09:30:42 (permalink)
    Beef&Fries

here's a second for Bam's in Shawnee, also for Paul's on Blue Ridge, added bonus is both places have tater tots...

But I've got to add that I've been disappointed the last two times I've been to the Flea Market, I love the place but they've lost their edge.

Could you elaborate why you've been disappointed with the flea market? I haven't been in a while, it was good the last time I was there. Although, they really need to work on that condiment bar. The reason I ask, I've been told the same thing by other people that share your opinion.  Is the burgers or general experience? One person told me he thought the meat was still from McGonigle's, and the fries seemed to still be fresh cut curly fries, but everything else seemed of a lower quality. I haven't been for about a year.

We enjoyed Bam's but found it very subtle. Nothing tasted like it had salt on it. I like the fact that they use real plates and were very, very nice people.
    We also liked that we asked for the tater tots well done and they came out perfectly done to our liking.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/12 10:30:54 (permalink)
    Beef&Fries

I second the comment about Town Topic, my memory tells me the burgers are fantastic, but I don't think I've ever had one before midnight, standard procedure at Town Topic at 2am is to order a big breakfast and double burgerw/grilled onions, burger arrives quickly and about the time you finish it they slide the bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast in front of you. them's good eats.

Wow that is a BIG Breakfast.

Beef&Fries
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/13 00:04:27 (permalink)
    can't say what exactly was the problem with the burgers at the Flea Market, the general experience is the same, the place hasn't changed at all (that's a good thing). I don't know if they've changed their meat % or grade (or cleaned the grill) but the burgers were just kinda greasy and not that great...I'll have to give them another shot in the near future and report back....

I also ask Bams for crunchy tater tots and they are very accommodating.

And yeah, it's a big breakfast at Town Topic, but at 2am I'd usually been drinking, clubbing, dancing, and working up an appetite for 8 hours or so and it helped avoid a hangover. Often had a malt or piece of pie also to get the blood sugar up.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/13 08:15:20 (permalink)
    I've never been to The Westport Flea Market before and hope to get there in the future. So I'm unable to give a personal opinion at this time

Over the last couple of years I've been relying more and more on Yelp and lately Urbanspoon for assessments of local places. It seems that a description of the restaurant and the quality of the  food they served tends to be more reliable in "numbers" versus "one or two suggeston."

I believe yelpers gave the Westport Flea Market 4 out of 5 stars and they have more than an 85% approval rating on urbanspoon.  I read some of the negative reviews. The majority of the negative reviews refer to either the ordering process or the sides. I don't recall any negative reviews regarding the burgers. The few negatives mentioned  about tthe burgers, simply state that the burgers are good but don't think that they're the best in Kansas City, ironically however these reviewers failed to give their opinion on what they think are the best burgers in Kansas City.
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    Re:KC has a burger for every taste 2010/07/15 08:42:24 (permalink)
    went to austins the other day. very tasty. i recomend it to everyone.  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1