KFC- Original Recipe Spices

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/06/02 12:06:47 (permalink)
I love Kentucky Fried Chicken when it is good. Admittedly, many of their outlets in recent years do not do as good a job as I remember the product back in the 50s, 60s and even 70s. But occasionally, I still have a good KFC fried chicken meal. I, too, have subscribed to Consumer Reports magazine for many, many years. I believe the "rumor" that Comsumer Reports once analyzed the coating of KFC's original recipe and revealed that the "11 herbs & spices" were actually salt & pepper to be false. Consumer Reports would never do that kind of work or analysis. I believe there are more spices than just salt, pepper, & MSG, but I can't tell you what they are. But it is definitely very tasty when their chicken is made right
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/06/02 13:25:25 (permalink)
You're right - the actual analyzation of the coating mix was given in William Poundstones book "Big Secrets" published back in the early 80's. and not CR as some believe. Although, it doesn't surprise me that they only found salt, pepper and MSG in the flour as the spicy flavor of the old KFC was pretty well gone by the 80's when the test was done. Once in a great while I will taste a vague hint of spice but it's very rare - they may put a miniscule amount in to be legal but not enough do any good - to cut costs. After all if KFC claims to put in 11 herbs 7 spices but doesn't - that's big time corporate fraud against the public.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/06/05 21:32:08 (permalink)
For what it's worth, these were found on the web:
K - Copy Cat Restaurant Recipes
Ingredients:
3 pounds chicken pieces
2 packages Italian salad dressing mix
3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cup pancake mix
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Milk

Directions:

Make a paste out of the Italian dressing mix, flour, salt and lemon juice. Coat chicken evenly. Stack chicken pieces in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for several hours.

Mix pancake mix with paprika, salt and pepper. Dip chicken pieces in milk, then in pancake coating. Dust off excess. Lightly brown in large skillet containing 1/2" vegetable oil. Brown for 4 minutes on each side. Remove and place in a single layer on shallow baking pan. Seal with foil.

Bake for 1 hour at 350. Uncover and baste again with milk. Return, uncovered, to oven heated to 400, to crisp for 10 minutes.

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/458/AlmostKentuckyFriedChicken64109.shtml
===========================================================
KFC Fried Chicken

1 Broiler fryer - cut up
3 cup Water
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 tsp. MSG
2 tsp. Onion Powder
2 pkg. DRY Instant Chicken Broth (Do Not Use Canned)
2 tsp. Seasoned Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1 cup Flour

Cover chicken with mixture of water and salt. Chill in bowl for least 1 hour.
Combine herbs, onion powder, seasoned salt, instant chicken broth, and pepper in
a blender and mix well. Place this mixture in a bowl. Add the flour to this
bowl. Mix flour and seasonings well. Remove chicken from water, and dip it into
the flour mixture coat well. Place coated pieces on a plate for 5 minutes. Melt
enough shortening or salad oil to make 1 inch depth in a large skillet. Heat to
375 degrees. Fry chicken pieces turning once, every 5 minutes, be sure to cook
chicken until done. Lift chicken out and drain on paper towels. You can keep the
chicken warm in the oven by placing it in the oven, and serve when all pieces
are finished cooking
===============================================================
FRIED CHICKEN (LIKE KFC)

2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup flour
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1 tsp. Knorr chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (not salt)
1/4 tsp. onion powder (not salt)
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/3 tsp. Bell Seasoning
1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. Wondra flour
1/2 tsp. monosodium glutamate (optional)
additional flour for separate pre-coating
5-6 cups Crisco cooking oil
1 frying chicken, cut in pieces

Safety Warning: A special pressure fryer is the only type of pressure cooker that you can fry in safely. Read your manufacturer's instructions before frying in a pressure cooker. If you don't have your instruction manual, then prepare this chicken in a deep fryer instead.
Pour the oil into the pressure fryer or deep pan suitable for frying, and then heat over medium heat to about 360 degrees.

In a small bowl beat the egg, milk, and soy sauce, then stir in 1/2 tsp. Knorr chicken bouillon (save the other 1/2). Put the garlic cloves through a garlic press and add into the egg mixture. Add half of the parsley and 1 tbsp. Wondra flour. Stir well.

In a separate bowl, combine the 1 cup flour and the bread crumbs, and the remaining ingredients. Mix well with a fork.

Put about 1/2 cup additional flour in a separate small bowl. Use this to dip each chicken piece, prior to dipping in the milk and seasonings.

Roll each piece of chicken around until well covered, first in plain flour, then in milk mixture, then in flour/bread crumbs mixture.

Gently lower the chicken pieces into the hot oil and allow to become a golden color (add the bigger pieces first).

Pressure Fryer:

If you are using a pressure fryer, place the lid on and lock it when the chicken is a very light golden color, usually about 3 minutes. Begin timing when the lid is locked and the gauge indicates a pressure of 5-6 pounds. Bring temperature up immediately and watch carefully (don't walk away!).
Remove from heat after about 7 minutes and reduce pressure following manufacturer's directions. Remove the chicken pieces and place on layers of paper towels. Return the pan to the stove and bring temperature back up and continue until all chicken pieces are fried. If your chicken was too brown, cook the next batch for a minute or so less, and vice versa if your chicken wasn't browned enough. Do not overload the cooker with too many pieces, as it brings the temperature down too quickly and will cause the pieces to absorb more of the cooking oil than it otherwise would.

Regular Deep Frying:

Fry the chicken at 360-375 degrees, placing the larger pieces in when the temperature is slightly lower (temperature will drop when pieces are added). Put the smaller pieces in when the temperature is higher, and they will be cooked more quickly. Remove when chicken is golden brown and drain on paper towels.
TIP: To flavor the oil in this method, you can thickly slice a few large onions and add to the oil before the chicken - skim these out when they are browned, before adding the chicken. It will add an additional layer of flavor to the oil!

Submitted by: CM

=================================================================
broadwayfrog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/07/23 01:10:34 (permalink)
Heres the KFC recipe
I think its a crock to have to register to get into this forum.
gimme a break!11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES LIKE KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN (Gloria Pitzer)

2 T. paprika
1 T. onion salt
1 t. celery salt
1 t. rubbed sage
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. ground allspice
1 t. ground oregano
1 t. chili powder
1 t. black pepper
1 t. sweet basil leaves, crushed
1 t. marjoram leaves, crushed fine

Combine all ingredients as listed in a small jar with a tight fitting lid (baby food jars work well). Shake mixture to combine. Stores for months. Keep out of direct sunlight, heat and humidity.
(makes about 1/3 cup)
TO USE:
Mix together 4 t. mixture, 1 c. flour, 2 T. packed light brown sugar and 1 t. salt. Place in doubled plastic food bag and add chicken to coat. Fry.

ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/07/23 12:37:46 (permalink)
Another interesting attempt at KFC:

Spice mix:
http://www.theingredientstore.com/joesplace/swap1.pl?read=5272

Cooking method:
http://www.theingredientstore.com/joesplace/swap1.pl?read=5277

Other considerations:
http://www.theingredientstore.com/joesplace/swap1.pl?read=5260

I haven't tried it but hope to in the future sometime.

Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/07/23 14:55:41 (permalink)
I can't help but notice all the recipes intending to replicate KFC look much tastier than the original recipe is now or has been in the past. This begs the question: if a clone is superior to the original, is it really a clone?
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/07/23 15:11:40 (permalink)
BTB said: " I believe the "rumor" that Comsumer Reports once analyzed the coating of KFC's original recipe and revealed that the "11 herbs & spices" were actually salt & pepper to be false. Consumer Reports would never do that kind of work or analysis. I believe there are more spices than just salt, pepper, & MSG, but I can't tell you what they are."
Well, I have to disagree with you on that point. I have subscribed to Consumer Reports since 1968, and I always read every issue from cover to cover. While I can't pin down the exact year for you, I believe that this little expose of theirs was printed somewhere around the late '70s or early '80s. Unlike most urban rumors that begin with the line, "my cousin knows someone who told him...", I do recall personally reading this information in CR. They analyzed the ingredients of a number of food products, and in this case, they subjected the coating to a laboratory analysis (an outside laboratory with which they had a contract), and found that the "11 herbs and spices" were actually salt & pepper--and possibly MSG. While I am not positive about the MSG, I do remember being shocked about the disparity between KFC's claims and reality.
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/08/17 12:34:46 (permalink)
Well Tedbear, I, too, continue to disagree with you and your recollection on supposedly reading a Consumer Reports expose sometime in the past whereby you allege that CR had an independent laboratory "analyze the ingredients of . . ." Kentucky Fried Chicken's coating . . . "and found that the '11 herbs and spices' were actually salt & pepper . . ." Believing -- as I earlier said -- that no such thing occurred, I dashed off a letter to Consumer Reports asking for information on such alleged report and analysis. I just received their letter in response and they say, after thanking me for my inquiry: "Unfortunately, we have never evaluated KFC's special recipe, and therefore, don't have any information to offer . . ." Your personal recollection seems the same to me as "my cousin knows someone who told him..." etc.. (Anyone requiring proof can let me know where I can fax them a copy of the letter.) Incidentally, Tedbear isn't the only one who claims that some independent laboratory conducted an analysis of KFC's coating. Many references exist all over the internet in regards to other alleged studies and lab tests, but no one has any concrete proof of such "urban legends." For example, see http://www.recipesource.com/misc/copycat/kfc/00/rec0034.html referencing an alleged book written in 1983, "Big Secrets", author Wm. Poundstone, alleging that he hired an independent lab to analyse the coating and reporting only salt, pepper, & msg in the flour.
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/08/17 19:37:59 (permalink)
I have Poundstones book ( ISBN 0-688-04830-7) and it does cover KFC in the very first section of the book- pages 13-21 namely. It's out of print but used copies can be found at Amazon.com. He does explain that they analyzed a cup of KFC coating mix " a pungent white powder with black and tan flecks" quoting the author and only found flour, salt, black pepper and msg. He does tell of Esquire magazine ,in 1974 ,asking four well known food experts to render their opinions on what spices that they could detected in the chicken, which they did with quite varied opinions on what they could taste.
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/08/19 13:23:36 (permalink)
Zeke, how specific is the report in Poundstone's book about the details of the laboratory that supposedly analysed the KFC coating? What I'm getting at is, if I were a main street media reporter, is there enough information in the book to lead me to sources to prove or verify that such a study was actually done and that a quality lab analysis was the result, or is Poundstone just reinterating another "urban legend?" Does the book give me information so that I can go and verify what was represented as truth? Or is it just a vague reference with little to no details? I see all these claims as "hogwash," so please forgive me for being such a doubting Thomas. You would think with the passage of so much time and improved technology that we would have a more definitive and straightforward answer to the question of the ingredients of the coating, but I've seen nothing credible at all. At least we know that Consumer Reports did nothing regarding this issue.
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/08/19 21:44:32 (permalink)
Not really - they (Big Secrets) interviewed college KFC employees about the preparation and cooking methods. One of the respondents supplied them with the sample coating mix that they eventually tested. Maybe if you contacted the author he could give you more paticulars about the lab, etc.

You can still get Big Secrets copies at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0688048307/qid=1124500931/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-4509103-0320840?v=glance&s=books

I grew up (I'm 60) with KFC in the late 50's, 60's, and early 70's and it really did have a much more spicier taste then, which slowly dissappered over the years. I believe that when the analysis was done in the 80's, the 11 herbs and spices were long gone hence the results that they found. KFC nowadays doesn't taste anything like it did 40 years ago sad to say !
MEANCHEF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/08/25 20:41:45 (permalink)
KFC is the bottom of the barrel of fried chicken.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/08/25 20:54:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

For what it's worth, these were found on the web:
K - Copy Cat Restaurant Recipes
Ingredients:
3 pounds chicken pieces
2 packages Italian salad dressing mix
3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cup pancake mix
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Milk

Directions:

Make a paste out of the Italian dressing mix, flour, salt and lemon juice. Coat chicken evenly. Stack chicken pieces in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for several hours.

Mix pancake mix with paprika, salt and pepper. Dip chicken pieces in milk, then in pancake coating. Dust off excess. Lightly brown in large skillet containing 1/2" vegetable oil. Brown for 4 minutes on each side. Remove and place in a single layer on shallow baking pan. Seal with foil.

Bake for 1 hour at 350. Uncover and baste again with milk. Return, uncovered, to oven heated to 400, to crisp for 10 minutes.

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/458/AlmostKentuckyFriedChicken64109.shtml
===========================================================
KFC Fried Chicken

1 Broiler fryer - cut up
3 cup Water
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 tsp. MSG
2 tsp. Onion Powder
2 pkg. DRY Instant Chicken Broth (Do Not Use Canned)
2 tsp. Seasoned Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1 cup Flour

Cover chicken with mixture of water and salt. Chill in bowl for least 1 hour.
Combine herbs, onion powder, seasoned salt, instant chicken broth, and pepper in
a blender and mix well. Place this mixture in a bowl. Add the flour to this
bowl. Mix flour and seasonings well. Remove chicken from water, and dip it into
the flour mixture coat well. Place coated pieces on a plate for 5 minutes. Melt
enough shortening or salad oil to make 1 inch depth in a large skillet. Heat to
375 degrees. Fry chicken pieces turning once, every 5 minutes, be sure to cook
chicken until done. Lift chicken out and drain on paper towels. You can keep the
chicken warm in the oven by placing it in the oven, and serve when all pieces
are finished cooking
===============================================================
FRIED CHICKEN (LIKE KFC)

2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup flour
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1 tsp. Knorr chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (not salt)
1/4 tsp. onion powder (not salt)
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/3 tsp. Bell Seasoning
1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. Wondra flour
1/2 tsp. monosodium glutamate (optional)
additional flour for separate pre-coating
5-6 cups Crisco cooking oil
1 frying chicken, cut in pieces

Safety Warning: A special pressure fryer is the only type of pressure cooker that you can fry in safely. Read your manufacturer's instructions before frying in a pressure cooker. If you don't have your instruction manual, then prepare this chicken in a deep fryer instead.
Pour the oil into the pressure fryer or deep pan suitable for frying, and then heat over medium heat to about 360 degrees.

In a small bowl beat the egg, milk, and soy sauce, then stir in 1/2 tsp. Knorr chicken bouillon (save the other 1/2). Put the garlic cloves through a garlic press and add into the egg mixture. Add half of the parsley and 1 tbsp. Wondra flour. Stir well.

In a separate bowl, combine the 1 cup flour and the bread crumbs, and the remaining ingredients. Mix well with a fork.

Put about 1/2 cup additional flour in a separate small bowl. Use this to dip each chicken piece, prior to dipping in the milk and seasonings.

Roll each piece of chicken around until well covered, first in plain flour, then in milk mixture, then in flour/bread crumbs mixture.

Gently lower the chicken pieces into the hot oil and allow to become a golden color (add the bigger pieces first).

Pressure Fryer:

If you are using a pressure fryer, place the lid on and lock it when the chicken is a very light golden color, usually about 3 minutes. Begin timing when the lid is locked and the gauge indicates a pressure of 5-6 pounds. Bring temperature up immediately and watch carefully (don't walk away!).
Remove from heat after about 7 minutes and reduce pressure following manufacturer's directions. Remove the chicken pieces and place on layers of paper towels. Return the pan to the stove and bring temperature back up and continue until all chicken pieces are fried. If your chicken was too brown, cook the next batch for a minute or so less, and vice versa if your chicken wasn't browned enough. Do not overload the cooker with too many pieces, as it brings the temperature down too quickly and will cause the pieces to absorb more of the cooking oil than it otherwise would.

Regular Deep Frying:

Fry the chicken at 360-375 degrees, placing the larger pieces in when the temperature is slightly lower (temperature will drop when pieces are added). Put the smaller pieces in when the temperature is higher, and they will be cooked more quickly. Remove when chicken is golden brown and drain on paper towels.
TIP: To flavor the oil in this method, you can thickly slice a few large onions and add to the oil before the chicken - skim these out when they are browned, before adding the chicken. It will add an additional layer of flavor to the oil!

Submitted by: CM

=================================================================
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/08/25 20:59:25 (permalink)
Seen recipes listed by milfoodlovers I'll have to try them but I soak my chicken in Butter milk and fry in lard. Chow Jim
scarletdragon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/09/06 13:38:04 (permalink)
I've never had good KFC in the States, but the KFC in Europe is pretty fantastic. It's a lot spicier, and the chicken is better quality.

And they serve beer.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/09/07 07:04:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by scarletdragon

I've never had good KFC in the States, but the KFC in Europe is pretty fantastic. It's a lot spicier, and the chicken is better quality.

And they serve beer.

Sooo... It's Europe thats stealing out 11 herbs and spices...
fbradjr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/09/07 21:01:23 (permalink)
Well I can tell you this.
I saw the recipe made once by Col Sanders and know several of his first franchisees for Kentucky Fried Chicken.
The small batch was in a 16 qt pressure cooker and had 11 herbs and spices in it.
The process of how it was cooked and held was as important as the recipe for the final product.
The best areas that ever had Kentucky Fried Chicken were Utah and parts of Fla because of family ties to the Col Sanders.
Here is a fact many do not know. Who had the Kentucky fried Chicken name first in use?
The Colonel purchased the rights from Parkette drive -In of Lexington KY to use the name.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/09/07 22:03:26 (permalink)
I also think the receipes for both the Chicken and the gravy were changed for the worse in the middle 1970's. I also remember that Colonal Sanders, himself, also made these complaints!!!!!!!!!

Anybody else remember this????????????
jetboy
Junior Burger
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/11/08 18:04:16 (permalink)
I purchased a 40-oz bag of Original Recipe Seasoning from a local freight claim for a few dollars. It's made by McCormick & Co. and lists the ingredients as "Herbs and spices, monosodium glutamate, salt and garlic powder".
Per directions on the package it's supposed to be mixed in a "breading lug" with "one bag KFC Breading Flour", "one box KFC Breading Salt, and one packet of Milk and Egg Mix."

The seasoning smells and looks (minus the MSG) almost entirely of ground black and white pepper. I also smell and taste hints of sage and garlic. Although I can't, my roomate says he can also taste cayenne.

I can't say for sure if there are 11 herbs and spices in this stuff, or if it's different then when the Col. was alive, but I can say it is not just flour, salt, pepper and MSG.
Jerry the Just
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/11/20 05:56:25 (permalink)
I started eating KFC original recipe many years ago but today my 70-year-old tongue finds the original recipe is gone for good. I've complained to managers and the corporate HQ but to no avail. They stonewall me by pretending I'm just a goofy senior citizen who doesn't know what I'm talking about. How 'bout the rest of you? How're your tasters? Notice any difference in flavor as I have from fifty years ago?

Jerry the Just
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/11/20 06:23:59 (permalink)
I am pretty sure that I am with the rest of you in regards to the diminishing taste of the original KFC. I recall it being much more spicy. It definately does not taste the same as I recall it. Perhaps it is just me.

I find it difficult to find any fried chicken I am happy with anymore. Sometimes when I really need the fix, I will ask them to drop the chicken fresh and get it right out of the pressure cooker.

I like to cook my own chicken. I really spice it up with pepper, salt, garlic, cayenne and a few other things. The only negative about that is the amount of oil and the mess and clean up. I saok it in buttermilk and then dip it in a watered down egg solution and then into the flour. I use either peanut oil or canola.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Jerry the Just
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/11/20 12:21:34 (permalink)
In answer to Sundancer7's comment about cleanup, a recipe from Jamaica advises frying in a high-sided pot, not frying pan. This method contains the spatter and leaves the surrounding stove, et al, "finger-lickin" clean. I know. I've tried it and wouldn't do it any other way. The coating I use for my non-KFC chicken is a simple flour + pepper + salt compound + whatever else you may prefer. The leftovers taste delicious even when they're cold.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/11/20 13:48:24 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood Jerry the Just. Don't be a stranger.
AZDesertFlower
Junior Burger
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/12/11 22:17:15 (permalink)
Hi y'all,

Well I'm in my early 40s and grew up in the Ole Deep South, so we grew up with Kentucky Fried Chicken -- until Popeye's came along.

Last week I ate at KFC for the first time in about three years. All I can say is: GROSS!!! The chicken was tasteless and greasy, but by far the worst thing I had was the sorry excuse for macaroni 'n cheese. The mushy, overcooked pasta was covered in "sauce" (gloppy fake cheese made from powder) that wasn't even mixed well.

Suffice it to say I won't be going back there. Poor ole Colonel Sanders has to be rolling over in his grave. Oh well, when I have a hankerin' for fried chicken and don't feel like making it there's always Popeye's. (Popeye's spicy chicken is still my favorite.)

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/12/12 11:31:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry the Just

In answer to Sundancer7's comment about cleanup, a recipe from Jamaica advises frying in a high-sided pot, not frying pan. This method contains the spatter and leaves the surrounding stove, et al, "finger-lickin" clean. I know. I've tried it and wouldn't do it any other way. The coating I use for my non-KFC chicken is a simple flour + pepper + salt compound + whatever else you may prefer. The leftovers taste delicious even when they're cold.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was in South Pittsburgh Tennessee which is the home of Lodge cast iron cookware. I bought a seasoned high top pan just for frying.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/12/12 13:49:07 (permalink)
Good fried chicken can be judged by how good it is the next day.Try this with Hardees and KFC and you will see what I mean.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/12/12 15:20:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

Good fried chicken can be judged by how good it is the next day.Try this with Hardees and KFC and you will see what I mean.

Hardess in Knoxville does not do chicken. Only their franchise locations do. They told me that and I guess that is true.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
caveboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/12/23 22:48:56 (permalink)
I've played around with trying to duplicate the recipe for KFC. I've come to some conclusions about it. I'm sure that the main ingredients (by volume) are flour, salt, white pepper, black pepper, and MSG. I think that if there are any other herbs and spices, they are only very miniscule amounts that Harlan threw in to make his recipe seem more elaborate and sophisticated...so that many would be thrown off the track if they tried to duplicate it. Other things which I believe are: (1) That there is some other cereal filler present in addition to flour. (2) That WHITE PEPPER and SALT are the two most recognizable ingredients in its flavor. (3) That pressure cooking is necessary to duplicate the taste (4) That the idea that the recipe seems to have changed over the years is valid. I would guess that the reason might be due to a reduction or elimination of MSG.
fbradjr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2005/12/23 23:16:20 (permalink)
No White pepper is in it.
But here is a clue as to what is.
Thing of a household from the 1950's. Most had these spices in them.
Think of a Simon and Garfunkel song (scarboro affair) for some of the list.
The main thing is the prep, cooking in deep fry pressure cooker at right oil temp and holding in oven till served that makes the product.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: KFC- Original Recipe Spices 2006/01/06 21:30:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wistah

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Everyone here in Rhode Island thinks that KFC is "da bomb" the best fried chicken on the planet. I personally call it "sludge in a bucket"

Well, here in New England, our choices for true southern cooking in general are pretty limited (read: nonexistent)....

actually calling KFC "sludge" would almost be a compliment....

I have been in Maine for 3 months now, and dont think I have seen a KFC.. Yet...
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1