Tiramisu
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
2006/10/30 12:26:07 (permalink)

KFC to use no trans-fat oil

From the AP, another victory for the food police

KFC to Use No-Trans-Fat Oil in ChickenMonday October 30, 11:43 am ET
By David B. Caruso, Associated Press Writer

KFC Says It Will Start Using Zero Trans Fat Soybean Oil for Its Fried Chicken and Potatoes

NEW YORK (AP) -- KFC Corp. said Monday it will start using zero trans fat soybean oil for its Original Recipe and Extra Crispy fried chicken, Potato Wedges and other menu items.

The news preceded the Board of Health's first public hearing Monday on a plan to make New York the first U.S. city to ban restaurants from serving food containing artificial trans fats.

KFC's systemwide rollout is to be completed by April 2007, but the company said many of its approximately 5,500 restaurants already have switched to low linolenic soybean oil, replacing partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

KFC President Gregg Dedrick said there would be no change in the taste of the chicken and other food items.

"There will be no compromise in making chicken the Colonel would be proud of," he said at a Manhattan news conference. "Nothing is more important to us than the quality of our food and preserving the huge waistlines of our customers."

Crispy Strips, Wings, Boneless Wings, Buffalo and Crispy Snacker Sandwiches, Popcorn Chicken and Twisters also are part of the menu change, which is not expected to curtail the eating habits of American lard hogs.

"We've tested a wide variety of oils available and we're pleased we have found a way to keep our chicken finger lickin' good -- but with zero grams of trans fat by using a blend of palm oil and Quaker State 5W40," Dedrick said.

Some products including biscuits will still be made with trans fat. "Someone who insists on eating our delicious bisquits is usually so obese, that any change would be useless", he said.

The change applies only to U.S. restaurants for now, Dedrick said. He said the company was trying to find replacement oils for its overseas restaurants. He added that KFC outlets in some countries already use trans fat-free oils, but he would not say which countries.

Artificial trans fat is so common that the average American eats 4.7 pounds of it a year, according to the Food and Drug Administration, yet so unhealthy, city health officials say it belongs in the same category as food spoiled by poor refrigeration or rodent droppings.

The switch was applauded by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, which sued the Louisville, Ky.-based KFC in June over the trans fat content of its chicken.

KFC isn't the only business preparing for a trans-fat-free future.

Dow AgroScience, a maker of three types of zero-trans-fat canola and sunflower seed oils, said it has ramped up production capacity to 1.5 billion pounds a year -- enough to replace about a third of the 5 billion pounds of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil sold annually in the U.S.

Wendy's, the national burger chain, has already switched to a zero-trans fat oil. McDonald's had announced that it intended to do so as well in 2003, but has yet to follow through.

If New York City approves banning food with artificial trans fats, it would only affect restaurants, not grocery stores, and wouldn't extend beyond the city's limits. But experts said the city's foodservice industry is so large, any change in its rules is likely to ripple nationwide.

"It's huge. It's going to be the trendsetter for the entire country," said Suzanne Vieira, director of the culinary nutrition program at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, R.I., where students are experimenting with substitute oils and shortenings.

New York's thousands of independently owned restaurants are beginning to look for ways to make changes too -- not all happily.

Richard Lipsky, a spokesman for the Neighborhood Retail Alliance, said many eatery owners rely on ingredients prepared elsewhere, and aren't always aware whether the foods they sell contain trans fats.

Invented in the early 1900s, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil was initially believed to be a healthy substitute for natural fats like butter or lard. It was also cheaper, performed better under high heat and had a longer shelf life.

Today, the oil is used as a shortening in baked goods like cookies, crackers and doughnuts, as well as in deep frying.

Ironically, many big fast food companies only became dependent on hydrogenated oil a decade and a half ago when they were pressured by health groups to do something about saturated fat.

McDonald's emptied its french fryers of beef tallow in 1990 and filled them with what was then thought to be "heart healthy" partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

"They did so in all innocence, trying to do the right thing," said Jacobson, of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "Everybody thought it was safe. We thought it was safe."

Some restaurants were still completing the changeover when the first major study appeared indicating that the hydrogenated oils were just as bad for you, if not worse.

When eaten, trans fats significantly raise the level of so-called "bad" cholesterol in the blood, clogging arteries and causing heart disease. Researchers at Harvard's School of Public Health estimated that trans fats contribute to 30,000 U.S. deaths a year.

"This is something we'd like to dismiss from our food supply," said Dr. Robert H. Eckel, immediate past president of the American Heart Association.

17 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 13:53:55 (permalink)
    I just saw that on CNN about an hour ago.
    I applaud Wendys and KFC for making these changes.
    Now, If I can only get my boss to get that oil to cook in here at my work.
    I would say about 50% of what we serve is fried foods.
    Chicken fingers, wings, ff, mozz sticks....All kinds of easy kid friendly type of food here at the resort.

As a matter of fact, the resort that I work in was just voted "Best Family Friendly" resort here in Myrtle Beach, in the "peoples" annual "Best of the Beach" voting.
    (Actually, tied for first place.)
    Now, back to this thread.....
    I have been taking my own food to work just to cut out extra fat in my diet.

NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 15:20:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

As a matter of fact, the resort that I work in was just voted "Best Family Friendly" resort here in Myrtle Beach, in the "peoples" annual "Best of the Beach" voting.
    (Actually, tied for first place.)

You mean you didn't win the "hottest" bartender award? " />
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5165
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 15:51:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tiramisu

From the AP, another victory for the food police

KFC to Use No-Trans-Fat Oil in ChickenMonday October 30, 11:43 am ET
    By David B. Caruso, Associated Press Writer

KFC President Gregg Dedrick said there would be no change in the taste of the chicken and other food items.

"There will be no compromise in making chicken the Colonel would be proud of," he said at a Manhattan news conference. "Nothing is more important to us than the quality of our food and preserving the huge waistlines of our customers."

Crispy Strips, Wings, Boneless Wings, Buffalo and Crispy Snacker Sandwiches, Popcorn Chicken and Twisters also are part of the menu change, which is not expected to curtail the eating habits of American lard hogs.

"We've tested a wide variety of oils available and we're pleased we have found a way to keep our chicken finger lickin' good -- but with zero grams of trans fat by using a blend of palm oil and Quaker State 5W40," Dedrick said.

Some products including biscuits will still be made with trans fat. "Someone who insists on eating our delicious bisquits is usually so obese, that any change would be useless", he said.
    From the AP? Reads more like it's from The Onion...

Brad
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 16:32:47 (permalink)
    I wonder how much of this was generated by their actual concern or by political correctness? Col. Sanders is spinning in his grave.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 17:37:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

I wonder how much of this was generated by their actual concern or by political correctness? Col. Sanders is spinning in his grave.

You beat me to it. He is spinning in his grave. This will completely alter the original recipe. What a shame.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 17:52:03 (permalink)

???? Can't believe that he made that statement.
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 18:04:09 (permalink)
    The OP version of the story sounds bogus. Even if the rest of the story is true. I thought we had a similiar post in a different thread with the same situation where they had a statement, supposedly from a company official, similiar to the one in the above post about obesity.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 18:21:59 (permalink)
    Lolol, it's the Quaker State 5W40 that got me! Nice job Tiramisu!
    Joe
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 18:25:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tastytoo

The OP version of the story sounds bogus. Even if the rest of the story is true. I thought we had a similiar post in a different thread with the same situation where they had a statement, supposedly from a company official, similiar to the one in the above post about obesity.

Tastytoo is absolutely correct. What was probably a legitimate AP story has been altered to add some words that would never have come from the lips of any corporate employee (especially the President!) who wanted to keep his job. The following paragraphs were either extensively altered or added in their entirety:

I mean...come on now folks. Does anyone really believe that they are using Quaker State Motor Oil for frying? That should have been the first tip-off that this post was bogus--or at least very much altered.

But, to return to the original report that I heard on the radio news this morning--yes, KFC is really pledging to eliminate trans-fats from their menu items, albeit without the insulting terminology that was added by Tiramisu.

And, clearly any attempt to eliminate trans-fats from the American diet is a Communist plot to subvert the US!
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 18:40:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Joe

LMAO I missed that....this is like an Onion article.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 18:44:17 (permalink)
    that'll teach me to skim over an article..
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/30 19:34:44 (permalink)
    Ted, you coulda let em fend for themselves! :~)
    Joe
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/31 00:23:20 (permalink)
    Now are they going to cut the sodium, too? Too much to ask for.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/31 08:40:45 (permalink)
    I am hard and fast against the government stepping in, like in NYC, and ording businesses to stop using trans-fatty oils. But, I applaud the companies who take it upon themselves to get rid of these useless and harmful oils. Of course, judging from all the press this past weekend on it, KFC applauds itself just as well.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/31 14:26:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Joe

Ya mean blend of Palm Oil and Quaker state..
    ROFL........
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/31 14:35:10 (permalink)
    Yep, thats tha stuff Roossy! Maybe it's the blend thats the key? :~)
    Joe
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: KFC to use no trans-fat oil 2006/10/31 16:42:00 (permalink)
    10 secret herbs and spices include 10W40? If Dyer's Burgers in Memphis can get away with 50 year old cooking oil, KFC should be able to use theirs too. I don't care if it is straight lard. I'd enjoy it in moderation.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1