KFC=NFG

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
2010/10/05 21:21:50 (permalink)

KFC=NFG

we had KFC this past weekend, the first time in about 6 mos.
everything changed.
the original recipe is NOT the original anymore, not as spicy as it was,just bland.
the extra crispy is not anymore & not as flaky with the skin.
 the coleslaw is not ground as fine as it used to be.
 the mashed potatos REALLY taste like instant.
I don't know if its just this one store (port Orange,FL). I don't think it is.
anyone else have this experience?
post edited by sk bob - 2010/10/05 21:22:56

44 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18700
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/05 21:57:51 (permalink)
    Well, the last time I had anything from that company it was still Kentucky Fried Chicken, the Colonel was still alive, and Dave Thomas still owned several Kentucky Fried Chicken places.
    sk bob
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/05 22:08:47 (permalink)
    those were the days,Michael
    they're both rolling over in their graves.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3567
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/05 22:13:09 (permalink)
    That all sounds about how I remember it the last time I was there.  Which may have been about a year ago, but quite possibly longer.  Even the biscuits aren't very good any more.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8115
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/05 22:18:01 (permalink)
    I'm bad.  I like their chicken pot pies.
    Learned about them when I had dental implants.  Drove through one to buy some what they call mashed potatoes on my way home from the surgery.  Thought that I might be able to gum my way through the crust and I did!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/05 22:18:18 (permalink)
    You must have had better luck than me at KFC up until now.

About once every 10 years or so, I say to myself "Can it really be that bad?" and I haplessly stop at one and experience a food Hell deja vu.
    sk bob
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/05 22:34:17 (permalink)
    felix4067

That all sounds about how I remember it the last time I was there.  Which may have been about a year ago, but quite possibly longer.  Even the biscuits aren't very good any more.

forgot about the biscuits, they aren't the same either.
    sk bob
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/05 22:40:22 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

You must have had better luck than me at KFC up until now.

About once every 10 years or so, I say to myself "Can it really be that bad?" and I haplessly stop at one and experience a food Hell deja vu.

we used to go about 3 times a year since the started charging the gold standard prices for their food.
     this time the change was noticable ALL around.
    never again.
    too bad Maryland Fried Chicken closed up in town.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/06 01:49:16 (permalink)
    I haven't noticed a change in KFC original recipe chicken or slaw, but Wendy's burgers have gone to "lleh" in a handbasket.  They used to be promoted as "Hot and Juicy," and they're now anything but.  I also don't like their new desert-dry hamburger bun, which tastes like a big cotton ball dusted with corn flour.

The only difference I've noticed at KFC is the "reformulated" biscuit.  Since they eliminated the so-called trans fats, the biscuit has the tenderness of a rock and zero flavor.  They may have done the same thing with the chicken, but I haven't detected it.

Interestingly, after he sold the company, Col. Sanders referred to their new mashed potatoes and gravy as "wallpaper paste" and "sludge," which led to a lawsuit that was summarily dismissed.
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/06 01:59:10
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/06 08:11:01 (permalink)
    After many years of avoiding KFC, I've stopped by three times in the past year and have been pleasantly surprised each time.  The chicken was plump & moist and the slaw exceptionally good (do they make their slaw on site?).  I never understood the mashed potatoes & refuse to try them again.  Once was enough as IMO there is no way to make an instant mashed potato eatable.  While I prefer the spice coating on Popeye's, the last two times I was there, the chicken pieces were essentially bone & skin.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/11 10:12:43 (permalink)
    KFC actually turned me off of ANY mashed potatoes for several years. To this day, I will only order mashed potatoes in a restaurant where I have tried them before (not a paradox; I DO eat with other people).

Bart
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8115
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/11 10:18:29 (permalink)
    True about the potatoes, but when you can't chew and you can't stand to cook AND when you're not smart enough to prepare something prior to dental surgery, they sounded pretty good... covered with what they call gravy.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/11 17:21:57 (permalink)
    Like any married couple my wife and I have our differences, one of the biggest and most irritating is, she actually likes KFC chicken. Galls me.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/11 18:15:26 (permalink)
    Since about 1970-71, I don't think that I've had KFC more then 5 times if that. My parents quit eating there once they went corporate and became very salty. The Chicken Unlimited chain picked up a lot of older customers because of that and the general loss of flavor when they moved into their stand-alone red & white format around here. My kids didn't like it either so it we never bought it. Seems like every time I've tried it, it was even worse then b4. I got my dad a plate dinner about two-three years ago and it was awful and very brown. We tried the grilled bucket and took it back last year, taking a bucket of regular in it's place. It looked the same as b4 and my dad swore off it again.

The original recipe has changed many times since 1964 and I don't think that they even make the 11 herbs and spices claim anymore and just made theater of the movement of the original recipe to a new vault a few years ago for the brand image. The potatoes were always spec'd as instant and never from whole potatoes. The gravy changed during the tenure of Massey and Brown to a mix b/c it was too difficult to get a minimum wage kid to get a roux right and further complicated by the first generation volume pressure fryers ability to recover the cracklings after each fry. The original slaw most of you remember was entirely franchisee made from locally sourced cabbage chopped to confetti spec size. That unified rice grain sized stuff was introduced after '69.

To those of you that reminisce about the original taste or look to create it, think about this. The original spices were pretty much the same between '53-'64. After the sale of the company and assurances the formula wouldn't be changed, there was a siginificant change by '69 that had Sanders fuming and looking for alternative suppliers for the older, original franchisees that he gave his word to and arranged for it in '65 with an independent spice supplier behind the company's back. That was in direct violation of his contract, but didn't get challenged until after Heublein took them over and 20 years later in '85.

So, if the earliest reliable estimate of the original taste and process is around 1964 and no later then 5 years later. To remember the taste with any degree of certainty at an age of 8 years old, one would have to be a about 50-54 years of age.
    now. With senses deteriorating by that age, would many of us even be able to recognize it? 
    sk bob
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/11 20:16:03 (permalink)
    all I can say is the taste is totally different from 6 mos. ago
    I know they gradually changed it over the years but not as drastic as this time.
    I'm 53 & remember what it tasted & looked like back then.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2022
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/11 20:40:50 (permalink)
    I stopped by the Colonel's the other day, first time in over a year...slaw was not the same and the chicken tasteless, the biscuit was hard and flavorless.
    Won't be going back anytime soon..
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 04:52:13 (permalink)
    I agree about the quality of the 'bird' at the chicken stands. I have not tried the grilled or oven-roasted versions, and never really cared much for the extra-crispy. When it was good---the good old days-- the Original Recipe was indeed a real treat !That seems to be a thing of the past now. 

We do like to stop at the Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Shelbyville, KY now and then. Operated for years by Mrs Sanders while the Colonel was on the road hawking his franchises, It still does a good job with the Original recipe version of the chicken, However it does even better with the Livers !!! We do love Checken Lives prepared in the Colonel's Recipe !!!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 08:31:58 (permalink)
    Dawn raised an interesting point for me. I can't even remember what KFC's fried chicken tasted like the last time I had it, or when I had it last. The area in which I lived only got its first KFC's after the heydey of the brand. There were plenty of mom-and-pops selling bigger pieces of chicken for less money. It seems the few times I tried KFC I was disappointed, so only used them as a POLR (Provider of Last Resort).

Unfortunately for sk bob, there are not enough of us on this board who follow KFC that closely. I strongly suspect there is a big quality difference between individual restaurants, depending on individual store management.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 08:53:50 (permalink)
    Louisville's newest athletic facility, built right on the River at the 2nd St bridge crossing is a multi-gazillion dollar basketball and entertainment center for the University. It will open with an EAGLES concern this coming weekend.  After much bidding and political BS the place has been formally named....
    THE KFC  YUM  CENTER.
    I will withhold any comments for awhile !!!

I waited long enough... They built this thing in less than 3 years from concept to Concert.  The area desperately needs additional bridge crossings to solve the increased traffic issues of the city and provide service to citizens and visitors alike. They have been working on two bridges, one on the east end of the city and one to expand the current I-65 bridge downtown, for 20 years. The two state organizations responsible have wasted many times the initial cost of the bridges over the years as other projects, including this YUM Center drained the project funds for their own use. This whole deal seems to smack of original recipe politics, Kentucky style
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 12:06:48 (permalink)
    The Hardee's around here (before Carl Jr.'s bought them and ruined them) had fried chicken that ran circles around KFC in flavor and texture, at about two-thirds the price of KFC.  And I don't even want to comment on KFC bowls (or should I spell that b-o-w-e-l-s?).

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 13:42:39 (permalink)
    I know what 'KFC' stands for, but what is 'NFG'?
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4545
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 13:51:42 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

No Flippin Good!
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 14:34:19 (permalink)
    Mjambro: Yes, according to my friendly neighborhood KFC manager, they do make the slaw on site with help of a proprietary dressing and a packaged coleslaw mix.  She said they used to chop the cabbage in-house, but no more.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5167
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 14:56:03 (permalink)
    joerogo

TJ Jackson

No Flippin Good!

Way off, Joe.  It's "Nirvana of Food Greatness".

Brad
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 17:15:05 (permalink)
    6star

The Hardee's around here (before Carl Jr.'s bought them and ruined them) had fried chicken that ran circles around KFC in flavor and texture, at about two-thirds the price of KFC.  And I don't even want to comment on KFC bowls (or should I spell that b-o-w-e-l-s?).

I used to like Hardees fried chicken too, back in the early 90s. They don't serve it anymore, do they? Heck, I don't even know where the nearest Hardees is. It definitely kicked KFC's butt.

I still like Brown's Chicken, but find it inconsistent. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes not. But always worlds better than KFC.
    danimal15
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 17:16:08 (permalink)
    danimal15

6star

I used to like Hardees fried chicken too, back in the early 90s. They don't serve it anymore, do they? Heck, I don't even know where the nearest Hardees is. It definitely kicked KFC's butt.

I still like Brown's Chicken, but find it inconsistent. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes not. But always worlds better than KFC.

Oh - wait - I see. Hardees' doesn't exist anymore! I guess I should have read your full post. Oh well.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 17:34:12 (permalink)
    The Hardee's Franchises on the Indiana side closed a couple of years ago...Franchise loss or bad business was the reason spread thru the media here.  The Hardee's name was maintained after Carl Jr's bought the chain and merged it into their operation. There are a bunch of them on the KY side of the river in Louisville.

For FF Chicken, my preference is Popeye's Spicy.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 17:53:16 (permalink)
    Wait a minute. Wasn't the Hardee's fried chicken a holdover from the Roy Roger's chain? That was a Marriott developed recipe that they used in their other restaurants too. I don't know if the same recipe changed hands, but the original was supposed to have been old man Marriott's recipe. You can't really compare that chicken with KFC's original pressure fried recipe as it was much more like KFC's extra crispy which was immersion fried like Marriott's.  
    danimal15
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 17:55:25 (permalink)
    I do remember thinking Hardee's version of fried chicken was quite good for a fast food place. It wasn't all skin and bones like some other places, and it wasn't greasy and disgusting like KFC. It was more like Brown's.
    I've got to watch out. It's almost dinner time and now I have a fried chicken hankering!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:KFC=NFG 2010/10/12 19:40:03 (permalink)
    Hardee's FC is still available in some locations; but few and far between.  And as far as I am concerned KFC was never AFG.

And as you know, KFC is NOT Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Give me some fresh cooked Popeye's; preferably the psudo-spicy they have now.
    post edited by Adjudicator - 2010/10/12 19:45:55
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1