Kansas City Barbecue in SD burns

Author
Grizzly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
2008/06/27 14:49:09 (permalink)

Kansas City Barbecue in SD burns

Folks,

I'm sad to report that Kansas City Barbecue, located in downtown San Diego, was destroyed by a pit fire yesterday afternoon.

Anyone who has seen the movie Top Gun will recognize the joint.

It was not my favorite BBQ, but it was a very cool place to hang out.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080627-9999-1m27kcbbcue.html

Grizzly

6 Replies Related Threads

mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Kansas City Barbecue in SD burns 2008/06/27 15:25:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grizzly

Folks,

I'm sad to report that Kansas City Barbecue, located in downtown San Diego, was destroyed by a pit fire yesterday afternoon.

Anyone who has seen the movie Top Gun will recognize the joint.

It was not my favorite BBQ, but it was a very cool place to hang out.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080627-9999-1m27kcbbcue.html

Grizzly

I ate there once and was not impressed with the food at all.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    RE: Kansas City Barbecue in SD burns 2008/06/27 15:41:08 (permalink)
    As a retailer situated next door to a restaurant, before flies and roaches, fire is my biggest fear.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Kansas City Barbecue in SD burns 2008/06/27 16:20:32 (permalink)
    I used to afraid of flies and roaches that were actually on fire, but the medication really helps.
    Ron
    Grizzly
    Junior Burger
    RE: Kansas City Barbecue in SD burns 2008/06/27 17:02:19 (permalink)
    Mikeam,

I would agree, the food wasn't the greatest, but they lost A LOT of irreplaceable memorabilia in the fire. A lot of license plates, flags, posters, pennants and photos from Kansas and Missouri and quite a bit of Navy items from the Miramar Naval Air Station (now MCAS). I did see on the news the piano Anthony Edwards "played" and the jukebox survived, albeit with some smoke damage I imagine.

I ate there twice and had two very different experiences. KCB was definately a destination and not memorable dining, but it's still sad to see a place so memorable go up in smoke.
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Kansas City Barbecue in SD burns 2008/06/30 14:27:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    As a retailer situated next door to a restaurant, before flies and roaches, fire is my biggest fear.

And the fires don't have to be from the obvious places. Jumpin' Catfish in Olathe, Kansas was closed for a year after a fire started in the dryer used to clean linens in the restaurant.

Keith
    Grizzly
    Junior Burger
    RE: Kansas City Barbecue in SD burns 2008/07/16 18:48:13 (permalink)
    A new update on the restaurant's website:

Valued Friends and Customers –

After recently celebrating our 25th anniversary, Kansas City Barbeque suffered a devastating fire on June 26, 2008.

Fortunately, no one was injured. In the next several days, we will be working with the insurance company, contractors, city agencies, etc., to try to get a handle on a time frame for reconstruction and re-opening.

We have been so blessed for so many years with the restaurant, we continue to look for the silver linings.

We are very appreciative of our staff, many of whom have been with us several years and are like family. They are anxious to get in and start cleaning up, and salvage and restore any of the memorabilia they can.

We’ve all had 25 years of good memories at Kansas City Barbeque, and we also had 25 years of accumulating priceless pictures, patches, hats and other mementos brought in by friends, teams and customers from around the world during that time. Most off those items were lost.

We have already had hundreds of people contact us expressing sympathy and support, and asking what they could do to help us get started on the next 25 years (including several generous offers to personally come out from people around the country). In the coming days we will post a wish list of replacement memorabilia that we could use to help get reopened.

Many people have also expressed an interest in helping the staff financially during this interim period. While we are working with the insurance company to maintain their basic compensation during this initial phase, we will also let people know what additionally they can do to be of assistance.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Martin and Cindy Blair
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1