Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Kansas City Fried Chicken

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 95
Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Fri, 01/12/07 9:26 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sfreader

Desertdog,

You may have missed my post to the news forum last week. Strouds has found a new south location. It will replace Snead's BBQ at 171st & Holmes Road in Belton.

I'm not sure how quickly it will open - the building needs a lot of work. Which was why it was for sale.

Keith

Is Snead's moving or closing? Frankly, I prefer the burnt ends at Snead's to Stroud's chicken.

Barefootcountrygirl

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Fri, 01/12/07 10:45 PM (permalink)
    I heard Strouds was moving to the Sneads building and I might as well sign up for gall bladder removal now, cuz all I need is a vat of their gravy and a spoon and I'm set!!! MMmm!!!

Sneads was okay, but compared to Jack's Stack or the Stilwell Smokehouse, they were bland.

And Chiefs sucked........bad.

And dangit!! My name should be bareFOOTcountrygirl, not bareFOTcountrygirl! Sheeesh! I'm an eeeediot!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
      RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Fri, 01/12/07 11:10 PM (permalink)
      Countrygirl, I'm right there with you on Stroud's versus Snead's. I liked Snead's well enough, but it is no match for a plate of Stroud's chicken, fresh mashed potatoes, and cooked to death green beans covered in that pudding thick gravy!

Just wondering, how is Stilwell Smokehouse anymore? Used to be a favorite of ours whenever we were in town. In fact Doug, the owner, used to serve our Hot & Spicy Bar-B-Que sauce among others as part of his sauce smorgasbord. I had heard that Doug had sold the place to a corporate concern a couple years back and that it had gone downhill recently.

Any comment?

Buddy

Tdybr27

• Total Posts: 92
        RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Sat, 01/13/07 11:49 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Sfreader

Desertdog,

You may have missed my post to the news forum last week. Strouds has found a new south location. It will replace Snead's BBQ at 171st & Holmes Road in Belton.

I'm not sure how quickly it will open - the building needs a lot of work. Which was why it was for sale.

Keith

I don't remember where I heard it but I had heard just recently that Strouds was going in at the 95th and Holmes area... that makes more sense than going that far south.

Sfreader

• Total Posts: 503
          RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Mon, 01/15/07 9:31 AM (permalink)
          Hillbilly, Sneads is going (or already has gone) out business.

I hadn't been there in years. Frankly, I was unimpressed with the product. But I understand that Mrs. Snead returned for the last few years and the product had improved.

She decided to sell because the building needed to have a significant amount of money spent on it.

Keith

Sfreader

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/18/07 10:05 AM (permalink)
            The KC Star says that the deal has fallen through. But it was in more of a "heard on the street" type column, rather than actual news and may not have been accurate.

Keith

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
              RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/18/07 12:11 PM (permalink)
              I don't see why the Snead's location would be profitable for a restaurant that has other facilities near by. To entice people to hunt this out of the way place, a restaurant would have to offer something very special that is not otherwise available in the area.

Sundancer7

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/18/07 5:14 PM (permalink)
                I could read back 67 post to see what KC fried chicken is but perhaps someone can tell me what is the difference between KC fried chicken and southern fried chicken?

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

Sfreader

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/18/07 5:41 PM (permalink)
                  My original source about the sale, tells me that Mrs. Snead was the one that backed out. So perhaps the BBQ will be staying in business.

Keith

Tdybr27

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/18/07 8:55 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I could read back 67 post to see what KC fried chicken is but perhaps someone can tell me what is the difference between KC fried chicken and southern fried chicken?

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

It's just talk about fried chicken places in Kansas City, not a 'style' of fixing fried chicken.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                      RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/18/07 9:16 PM (permalink)
                      I, for one, hope that Stroud's doesn't take the Snead's spot. It's in Belton, not KC and it's a really run down, nasty building. I can't imagine what it would take to rehab that place. It would be better to mow it down and start all over.

Zanshin

• Total Posts: 3
                        RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Fri, 02/23/07 5:41 PM (permalink)
                        New reader here, and a chicken-eatin' fanatic.

Stroud's South was okay, but I frankly never thought the food was worth the wait. I got in quick once at Saturday lunch after turning away half a dozen times after standing too long in line nut-to-butt with heavy drinkers. There were dead flies on the table and in the window, and once the hung-over waitress saw we weren't buying drinks at 11:30 a.m., she abandoned us for customers that would run up a bigger bill to base a tip on.

Recently closed, the Machine Shed restaurant had what I thought was the best fried chicken in KC area. 4 pieces, out of this world mashed potatoes and gravy, a couple different types of bread, and all the cottage cheese and slaw you could eat. We used to substitute cooked apples for the slaw, and it was like pie filling -- who needs dessert? Sadly, they told me once their marketing scheme was to only locate along I-35. I couldn't figure out why -- having been a truck driver, I know their delivery vehicles could have made a couple turns to get them over into a more country-meal focused area than S. Johnson County, KS. I'll have to try them further up north to see if it's a chain sensation, or if they only got it right in the Olathe location.

Po' Folks was great no matter where you enjoyed it -- my last meal from them was in Nashville, but I think they're all gone now. I met my wife at the one on Noland Road when she waited on me, and we're still happily looking for places to enjoy chicken together.

The Peach Tree buffet just off I-435 on Eastwood Trafficway has delicious chicken with a funny paprika-color to it, but no such taste. That place is a bargain for all you can eat and drink for under $10, and you better come hungry, cause everything they make is great.

Countyside Restaurant in Odessa, MO (out east of KC about 35 miles alongside I-70, across from the outlet mall) has reasonably-good chicken and no waits on Friday nights if you get there before 7 p.m. Served with a carrot-celery-pickle and cucmber relish tray, soup, all-you-can-eat tossed salad, 1/2 deep-fried chicken, mashed potatoes and cream gravy, fresh rolls made in their bakey, and green beans, all for about $9. The sides are family-style, and eat as much as you want.

The Hardware Cafe on the square in Liberty, MO had a good 3-piece chicken special on Saturday's, but they've recently closed as well.

Niece's restaurant in Brywood Center on 63rd ST just off I-435 by Raytown has good-looking chicken wings and Waffles on the breakfast menu -- they're HUGE, but I haven't tried them. Last time I saw the place they had a sign saying they were doing fried chicken every day instead of just Sunday.

Both Big Biscuit restaurants (7 Hiway south of I-70 in Blue Springs, and Noland Rd and US 40 Hiway in Independence) serve fried chicken dinners on Sunday afternoons, but they're only open until 3 p.m. and I can't get my people together to eat that early, so I can't vouch for the food. If it's half as good as the breakfasts they kick out, it's worth eating. The Blue Springs location is newer and larger than the 40 Hiway spot, which unfortunately is a bit cramped. Worse, they bought the 40 Hiway location after the famous Stevenson family closed down the Red Mule Inn that was their "coffee house cafe" across the street from the main restaurant, and the Red Mule was one of our favorites, for fried chicken and Swiss Steak.

Sadly, despite their Southern heritage, Crackerbarrel doesn't carry real fried chicken on their menu. I haven't been to R.C.s for quite awhile, but it wasn't breath-taking by any means when I ate their chicken.

With the new Bass Pro's coming into KC area on both sides, I'm hoping we'll see a return of some good fried chicken places to serve the country appetites that will be visiting the metro. I love Popeye's, but I need a place where I can get an awesome fried chicken meal served to me on a dinner plate instead of in a box.

Darn -- now I'm really hungry!

Zanshin

• Total Posts: 3
                          RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Sun, 03/4/07 1:16 PM (permalink)
                          It has been recently mentioned that Stroud's is considering buying the old Stephenson's Apple Barn location on US 40 and Lee's Summit Road. Would be a good location for them with the large Bass Pro going in down the road. Given that the old Apple Barn has poor accomodations for guests waiting in bad weather, it sounds just like what Strouds would be looking for.

We decided to try Stroud's again since it's been a few years, so yesterday we went to the North location. Arrived at 4:15 p.m. and it was after 5 p.m. before we were seated; meanwhile we were continually jostled in the lobby by the many others that kept pouring in. A woman standing next to us commented to her husband that it was always like this, and she didn't know why they kept coing back -- not a good sign, Usually the food and atmosphere qualifies the wait. The list when we were seated was claimed to be 90 minutes out.

We were seated in the small dining room off the front lobby, and it was so chilly nearly every person in the room had their coat on, and yet the fireplace was not in use -- perhaps it's inorperable, but at the rate they're packing customers in, I think it would be an affordable consideration for diners.

Service was friendly and prompt. The salad was very poor quality: a plate of withered and browning iceberg lettuce with a cucumber slice and a plastic packet of dressing. No butter served with the crackers, had to ask.

Despite waiting nearly 20 minutes from ordering, the chicken was not freshly cooked. Luke warm at best, and several pieces were dry inside, and undesirable. My wife's chicken breast was reasonably hot, so she was happy with it. The flavor was okay, but again, unremarkable considering the experience you endure to get to it. The gravy was excellent home-style. The green beens tasted right out of the can with some ham thrown in; they were very firm and almost undercooked. Odd, considering there were nearly a hundred people eating when we arrived, and they had been open for several hours.

The cinnamon rolls were Stroud's regular feature - a bicuit-like soft white bread with a cinnamon and sugar glaze. Tasty.

All in all, I can't recommend Stroud's to anyone, unless what you're looking for is an hour-long wait in a dangerously cramped room to pay almost twice what your dinner is worth. It's truly not much better than what you'd expect from a CrackerBarrel-type restaurant, and certainly not worth $14 a head for a three-piece chicken dinner and soft drink. The portions are generous, but an over-sized serving of average tasting and low-product cost food isn't worth the uncomfortable wait coupled with an extra $5 per person charge over what other equally tasty chicken dinners are selling for in the Kansas City area.

Somehow Strouds has gotten a name as the place to eat chicken in Kansas City, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. There have been numerous restaurants serving better dinners for less, and with a more enjoyable atmosphere, particularly in the wating area. I love country-style restaurants, and log cabins are a favorite, but the charm of the structure doesn't make up for the fact that Strouds seems to know they've cornered a market, and don't have to try anymore.

Why are there fewer KC-based chicken places? Easy -- restaurant owners want people to pay a minimum of $12 a seat to eat, even though a half-chicken dinner as served at Strouds barely has a $4 product cost. That's a lot of profit to expect. Considering you can get a lot more chicken at a fast-food place (or god-forbid, cook it yourself) for the money, people probably stop going to sit-down restaurants and dropping $60 and $70 to eat what you can get from KFC and Popeye's for $18-$22.

Jaybird1000

• Total Posts: 27
                            RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 07/5/07 2:40 PM (permalink)
                            K.T. Fryers is pretty close to Strouds.
                            It's in Lenexa, Ks.,
                            a suburb of Kansas City.
                            The original Strouds on 85th is no more, I'm afraid.
                            However, one Strouds remains.
                            If you find yourself at Go Chicken Go,
                            don't forget the incredible hot sauce.
                            We buy bottles of it.

Tdybr27

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 07/5/07 8:47 PM (permalink)
                              Has K.T. Fryers reopened after the fire?

vanessamb

• Total Posts: 1
                                RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Wed, 01/16/08 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                I'd like to mention Mama's on 39th and Southwest Tfwy in Kansas City has great fried chicken! The atmosphere is not as crazy as Stroud's which had a very long wait when I went on a Tuesday night a few months ago. The food was good, but I agree, overpriced.

Someone mentioned Chicken Annie's and Chicken Mary's at the beginning of this post. I used to work at Chicken Annie's Original in Southeast Kansas and we had many people making the 2 hour drive south to us from Kansas City for a fried chicken dinner. We also had a family that would drive up from Texas several times a year just to dine at Chicken Annie's.

Sfreader

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Tue, 01/22/08 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                  Other than the tradition, I've never seen the attraction of the food at Chicken Annie's and Chicken Mary's.

Kieth

kgummy

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Sat, 01/26/08 10:18 PM (permalink)
                                    THANNK YOU, folks, for introducing me to Go Chicken Go. I'm ashamed to have missed it all this time. I want to try the legs and thighs, but I started with gizzards and keep going back for more. Always hot, fresh tasting, buttery. YUM YUM YUM

The Pitch says K.T. Fryer's owner can't be contacted and the space is for rent, and that Stroud's will open at 4200 Shawnee Mission Parkway in February or March.

Has anyone been to R.C.'s lately? I believe it's the last place in town using Chicken Betty's recipe. I haven't had it in years, and personally prefer it to Stroud's. But that's why they have chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice creams. (And Neopolitan if you can't make up your mind.)

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                      RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Sat, 01/26/08 11:28 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by kgummy

THANNK YOU, folks, for introducing me to Go Chicken Go. I'm ashamed to have missed it all this time. I want to try the legs and thighs, but I started with gizzards and keep going back for more. Always hot, fresh tasting, buttery. YUM YUM YUM

The Pitch says K.T. Fryer's owner can't be contacted and the space is for rent, and that Stroud's will open at 4200 Shawnee Mission Parkway in February or March.

Has anyone been to R.C.'s lately? I believe it's the last place in town using Chicken Betty's recipe. I haven't had it in years, and personally prefer it to Stroud's. But that's why they have chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice creams. (And Neopolitan if you can't make up your mind.)

Wow!
                                      2 new chicken advocates.

Welcome, Vanessamb & kgummy.
                                      Where in KC do you reside?

kgummy

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Sun, 01/27/08 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                        Bill, thanks for the welcome. I'm in Prairie Village, but my stomach travels well. I think it's traveling to G-C-G at 51st and Troost tonight for gizzards...it's been 4 days and I'm gonna get cranky.

buffetbuster

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/31/08 5:41 AM (permalink)
                                          Has anyone been to Yarbrough's in Shawnee, Kansas lately? If so, how was the fried chicken?

http://www.yarbroughrestaurant.com/

Sfreader

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/31/08 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                            I haven't been there, but one of the reviewers on the Walt Bodine Show was saying good things about Yarnrough's a few months back.

Keith

buffetbuster

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/31/08 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                              Sfreader-
                                              Thanks for the reply. It is one of the older Roadfood books and I was wondering if it was still good. I think I am going to try and get there on my trip.

By the way, I'm glad you are interested in sharing a meal while I am out there. I am still working on my itinerary, but should have it done today. I was going to let you knew where I'm going to be and when and see what works with your schedule.

By the way, I am a big fan of your Kansas restaurant website and it has been invaluable in planning my trip!

1bbqboy

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/31/08 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                                I ate at Leona Yarbourgh's all the time as a kid. It was down the street a little ways in Fairway. I was amazed long ago it made it to the Stern's book,
                                                not realizing that as a kid I got to eat at a quite a few signature places.

zataar

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/31/08 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by bill voss

I ate at Leona Yarbourgh's all the time as a kid. It was down the street a little ways in Fairway. I was amazed long ago it made it to the Stern's book,
                                                  not realizing that as a kid I got to eat at a quite a few signature places.

The Fairway location is a First Watch now. The location in Shawnee is one of the ugliest buildings around, but they still do a great business.

zataar

RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 01/31/08 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Has anyone been to Yarbrough's in Shawnee, Kansas lately? If so, how was the fried chicken?

http://www.yarbroughrestaurant.com/

I haven't been to Leona's for a long time, but spoke recently with someone who has. Gentle food, were the words they used to describe it. They love Leona's, but realize that a diner with a more adventuresome palette may find it a bit lacking. It's very subtly flavored food. Not salty, spicy or intensely flavored in anyway.

I don't know if they still do it, but long ago you would write your own order on a ticket, just like in a dining car on a train.

darenstevens

• Total Posts: 4
                                                      • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                      RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Sun, 04/27/08 9:44 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Bill B.

I lived in the KC area most of my life. Didn't know that Mrs. Peters had closed until I read this thread. Too bad.

Is the famous cook (can't remember the name) from the old Boots & Coates restaurant in KC still working? If so, that place would have some world-class fried chicken.

RC's in Martin City has pretty good chicken, and cottage fries with real chicken gravy.

For an antidote to KFC, try the original Go Chicken Go in KCK. Their chicken is OK, but their gizzards are killer. Order a pound with a cup of gravy, then sit in your car and dip the gizzards into the gravy. Good stuff! And open late at night.

Bill, I'm new to the site but thought I'd chime in on this. I left a vm for my Aunt to call me about Boots and Coats. My uncle who's since passed owned a small portion of Boots and Coates and his brother was the Boots part of it and the main partner in the place. When I would fake being sick as a kid my Aunt would take me in there for lunch.

I'll see if she has any info on the cook, etc....

Hope this helps.

1bbqboy

• Location: Rogue Valley
                                                        RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Sun, 04/27/08 10:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by darenstevens

quote:

I lived in the KC area most of my life. Didn't know that Mrs. Peters had closed until I read this thread. Too bad.

Is the famous cook (can't remember the name) from the old Boots & Coates restaurant in KC still working? If so, that place would have some world-class fried chicken.

RC's in Martin City has pretty good chicken, and cottage fries with real chicken gravy.

For an antidote to KFC, try the original Go Chicken Go in KCK. Their chicken is OK, but their gizzards are killer. Order a pound with a cup of gravy, then sit in your car and dip the gizzards into the gravy. Good stuff! And open late at night.

Bill, I'm new to the site but thought I'd chime in on this. I left a vm for my Aunt to call me about Boots and Coats. My uncle who's since passed owned a small portion of Boots and Coates and his brother was the Boots part of it and the main partner in the place. When I would fake being sick as a kid my Aunt would take me in there for lunch.

Hope this helps.

Cool! Are you Darrin 1

or Darrin 2?

darenstevens

• Total Posts: 4
                                                          • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                          RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Mon, 04/28/08 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by bill voss

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by darenstevens

quote:

Hope this helps.

Cool! Are you Darrin 1

or Darrin 2?

I'd probably fall more into the Daren 1 category. Years of sports have given me back problems but none as severe as Dick York had I'm sure.

cwujd1

• Total Posts: 9
                                                            • Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
                                                            RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken Thu, 05/29/08 12:15 AM (permalink)
                                                            The new Stroud's South is open! After all the previous speculation about possible locations (e.g., Stephenson's Apple Farm), they took over a building that has been several mediocre restaurants over the years at 4200 Shawnee Mission Parkway, right about where the towns of Fairway and Mission meet.

Business is apparently already good. I called as soon as I rented a car at the airport last week. It was about 4:00 in the afternoon and I asked if they took carry out orders. They said that they did and the next "window" for pickup was 7:30 PM! I called the Oak Ridge Manor location instead and was able to pick up immediately. Those iron skillets only hold so much chicken and the restaurant customers have to come first. Apparently, hours-long lines have been the norm since they opened. By the way, unlike the Northside location, this one is open for lunch every day and stays open through dinner.

So I can't vouch for the food at the new place but the chicken I picked up at what is now the "old" location (the original location closed to make way for street construction and is gone forever), is still the best anywhere (that I've had anyway). Crisp (even after the ride home), flavorful and still comes with those decadent cinnamon rolls.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 95

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com