Kansas City Fried Chicken

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
2003/12/11 13:20:38 (permalink)

Kansas City Fried Chicken

All of this talk about KFC and the ten best of the year got me thinking. I went to Stroud's this past year and of course my experience there was outstanding, however when I took out some of the old Roadfood editions from storage I noticed that there were quite a few Chicken places in the KC area ie Ms Peters, etc, however now it seems that Stroud's is the only one left. What happenned to them? Where did they go? Why did they go out of business? Have they been replaced with new ones waiting to be discovered and reviewed? Can some of the folks from the Kansas City area explain what happenned

Oh, come on, I'm sure there is someone out there who must have an answer??

94 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2003/12/30 10:27:48 (permalink)
    Ok, I've been braving forums on Waffle House, Krispy Kreme, Turdecken, hostess donuts etc and have refrained from riveting remarks. Surely there must be SOMEONE in the Kansas City area who can comment and/or respond to this VERY SERIOUS roadfood concern!
    MaryB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2003/12/30 11:44:13 (permalink)
    Since I go to KC at least one week a month, I will make it my mission to do some investigation on this topic. Strouds hands down is the best and something you should do if you are remotely close to KC. Also, for the adventurous types-Chicken Mary and Chicken Annie in SE Kansas are worth checking out!
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2003/12/30 12:18:58 (permalink)
    I have never been to Kansas City, so cannot help out on this, but It did get me to thinking. Out of the entire city of Houston, I cannot think of one place that is known, or that people go to specifically for fried chicken. Cleburnes cafeteria makes good chicken, but is not know as a "chicken dinner" place. "This Is It!" Soulfood makes good fried chicken too, but only one or two days a week.

There are Church's, KFC's, and Popeyes everywhere though. There used to be a place on the Huntsville highway called the Chicken Shack that was known for its chicken and rolls with honey.

I don't know if the lack of chicken dinner places here is due to all of the chains, or lack of demand. I do know that everytime I drive to Dallas, I think of the Chicken Shack and miss it.

olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2003/12/31 09:49:46 (permalink)
    I miss Youngblood's. They were around Houston into the late 60s at least. The chicken was superb, and the rolls were to die for. But then there's no telling how they would compare to chicken places today.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2003/12/31 16:11:26 (permalink)
    I lived in the KC area most of my life. Didn't know that Mrs. Peters had closed until I read this thread. Too bad.

Is the famous cook (can't remember the name) from the old Boots & Coates restaurant in KC still working? If so, that place would have some world-class fried chicken.

RC's in Martin City has pretty good chicken, and cottage fries with real chicken gravy.

For an antidote to KFC, try the original Go Chicken Go in KCK. Their chicken is OK, but their gizzards are killer. Order a pound with a cup of gravy, then sit in your car and dip the gizzards into the gravy. Good stuff! And open late at night.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/03 01:08:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by olphart

I miss Youngblood's. They were around Houston into the late 60s at least. The chicken was superb, and the rolls were to die for. But then there's no telling how they would compare to chicken places today.

Apologies to the KC folks for this thread's split personality , but olphart, where was Youngbloods . I moved to Houston in 70 but grew up 50 miles from here; the name is ringing a bell, but I can't really place it.

My fav place for chicken is Frenchy's Creole Fried Chicken on Scott near UH and TSU; they've opened a stand inside the HEB at Scott and OST which is a little more convenient. Famous for chicken and greens; they do a good creole sausage too but they haven't figured out what to put with it on a po'boy. It was a nascent local chain that got crushed by the arrival of Popeye's. There are a number of clones around town - Little Frenchie's, Frenchey's, - which serve very similar chicken; Percy Creuzot's recipes were on-line for a while! I haven't tried Mrs. Hendersons yet, said to be a walk-up shack near the original Frenchy's where the chicken is skillet fried when you order it and the wait is about 30 mins. Gotta get over there someday.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/03 22:06:41 (permalink)
    There was a Youngblood’s at Long Point at Witte as late as ’69 when I left for active duty, and there was another on South Main near the Medical Center before it was all medical buildings. I’ve seen Frenchy’s before, and it seems it was a former Church’s Chicken location, but I never ate there. Mrs. Henderson’s sounds great!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/03 22:22:40 (permalink)
    I'm a bit confused...Strouds is a definite 'sit-down' place where one goes to get the traditional 'Sunday Dinner' Right? Now even plebian me who admits to using drive thrus and other unmentionable habits (foam plates and plastic forks) knows that most of the Chicken "Stands" don't really compete with the Sunday Dinner houses. They are in a different league altogether. Mrs Peters is/was a sit-down, as is Knotts in Buena Park California...and (despite the name) Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Kentucky. While the product is chicken..The type of establishment is difficult to compare.
    Long Live the Dinner Houses.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/03 23:18:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by olphart

There was a Youngblood’s at Long Point at Witte as late as ’69 when I left for active duty, and there was another on South Main near the Medical Center before it was all medical buildings. I’ve seen Frenchy’s before, and it seems it was a former Church’s Chicken location, but I never ate there. Mrs. Henderson’s sounds great!

olphart - thanks for the info. I was wondering about the place on S. Main. I was remembering a Bill Williams there which I thought was a fried chicken dinner house, and Ye Olde College Inn. I never went to either - before my time - but I remember my parents talking about eating there when they came to Houston without my brother and I. Not really that important except that I'm a history buff.

I think I'll try to get over to Hendersons Sunday. I had to do some research. Here's a link to the original review in the Press more than 2 years ago " />. I guess I've put off trying this for long enough! I remembered a few things wrong: it's not an old shack, its a brand new establishment. The article doesn't specifically say the chicken is pan-fried, just that it's cooked to order and takes about 20 minutes. Hendersons is on Ennis just north of TSU, so it's not just around the corner from Frenchy's.

Thanks again for the info.

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2001-10-11/cafe.html/1/index.html
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/04 00:11:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I'm a bit confused...Strouds is a definite 'sit-down' place where one goes to get the traditional 'Sunday Dinner' Right? Now even plebian me who admits to using drive thrus and other unmentionable habits (foam plates and plastic forks) knows that most of the Chicken "Stands" don't really compete with the Sunday Dinner houses. They are in a different league altogether. Mrs Peters is/was a sit-down, as is Knotts in Buena Park California...and (despite the name) Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Kentucky. While the product is chicken..The type of establishment is difficult to compare.
    Long Live the Dinner Houses.

I have to ask: how do they differ Just in that they have table cloths, silver ware as opposed to paper bags and napkins . Is the chicken that different I can remember 'chicken shacks' before the advent of the chains, but I guess I've never eaten at a Chicken Dinner House.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/04 00:35:29 (permalink)
    Hermitt,
    The chicken may be the same but the environment is like black and white. Standing in line to order at a KFC-like place, sitting in a formica bench/table and fetching everything for yourself...while car whiz thru the drive thru is one side.While sitting in a real chair, at a cloth covered table (or maybe not cloth covered- but nice) with service provided and real dishes and silver, make for a different dining experience. I'll skip the eat it in the car comparison.
    Example. At Claudia Sanders in Shelbyville KY, the atmosphere is downright Genteel. Soft sounds, thick carpet, Bluegrass Horse Farm paintings on the walls, large fireplace in the main dining room, Linens for the table. Service Always friendly and personal. The chicken is a cousin to the KFC recipe of the Colonel, but it is cooked to order (no claim to be pan-fried), and served with a variety (8) vegetables. Other items related to Kentucky-style Menu's(Country Ham, Smothered Pork Chops) are available. When one goes to dinner here you should expect to spend considerable amount of time...not walk in -pick up- eat and out. So while the chicken may be close in recipe, the experience of dining is quite different and probably shouldn't be treated as the same as far as comparison goes.

Clothier,
    I don't know how to 'label' the Frankenmuth chicken houses. They are similar in appearance and operation to the more Genteel Claudia Sanders and some of the nicer dinner houses, but they deal in such a large volume that the "hustle and bustle" really effects the relaxed atmosphere. The are certainly far above the slam-bam drive thru places. The chicken I had there was good. I think it compares well with the Knotts Berry Farm Restaurant at it's zenith some years back. Unfortunately Knott's has given in to the pressures of volume sales and it has lost some of it's luster as a place to go for an oldfashioned chicken dinner.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/05 02:48:44 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mr. Mayor, for the info. So the 'chicken dinner houses' are dinner houses that happen to feature fried chicken, I take it, not the same thing as the 'chicken shacks' that were common everywhere before the chains and had sit-down service, no drive thru, no children's playground, but menus limited pretty much to chicken, as I recall . That sounds like BBQ Inn in Houston which virtually nobody goes to for BBQ, rather fried chicken (which the menu warns will take 20 minutes to bring to the table), CFS and fried seafood. I've always sat in a booth but I think the tables in the open dining area have table cloths. (The best part of the BBQ Inn experience is the waitresses who call me 'sweetie' ).

I read the review of Stroud's on this website, which I had never thought to do.

I didn't make it to Henderson's - it's closed on Sundays - and couldn't get into the parking lot at Frenchy's it was so crowded, so I settled for a sliced brisket sandwich and spicy home-made beef sausage at Two Brothers Smokin' Oak Barbecue, a trailer parked a couple of blocks from Henderson's. . A quite satisfactory culinary adventure; I'll have to catch them again for some ribs and frito pie !
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/05 10:31:52 (permalink)
    The next time you visit Stroud's, try the deep-fried pork chops instead of chicken. Not the broiled chops, the honest-to-god artery-clogging deep-fried chops. They're worth the price of admission.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/05 11:15:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hermitt4d

Thanks, Mr. Mayor, for the info. So the 'chicken dinner houses' are dinner houses that happen to feature fried chicken, I take it, not the same thing as the 'chicken shacks' that were common everywhere before the chains and had sit-down service, no drive thru, no children's playground, but menus limited pretty much to chicken, as I recall . That sounds like BBQ Inn in Houston which virtually nobody goes to for BBQ, rather fried chicken (which the menu warns will take 20 minutes to bring to the table), CFS and fried seafood. I've always sat in a booth but I think the tables in the open dining area have table cloths. (The best part of the BBQ Inn experience is the waitresses who call me 'sweetie' ).

I read the review of Stroud's on this website, which I had never thought to do.

I didn't make it to Henderson's - it's closed on Sundays - and couldn't get into the parking lot at Frenchy's it was so crowded, so I settled for a sliced brisket sandwich and spicy home-made beef sausage at Two Brothers Smokin' Oak Barbecue, a trailer parked a couple of blocks from Henderson's. . A quite satisfactory culinary adventure; I'll have to catch them again for some ribs and frito pie !

Hermit, I love the Barbeque Inn! It is like going back in a time warp to the 60's and 70's with that interior and the waitresses. They are good!

The chicken fried chicken is what we go for sometimes at lunch when we feel like throwing calories to the wind. I have never had the regular fried chicken due to the wait (lunch hour you know). I had never heard of Mrs. Hendersons but will definately give it a try.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/05 11:52:27 (permalink)
    Jeeze, I haven't been to the Barbecue Inn in years! Used to go there all the time. I don't know why I don't think to go there since I am down the street at Flying Saucer Pie so often.
    kellymharrison
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/06 08:49:15 (permalink)
    hello olphart
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/06 11:18:18 (permalink)
    Howdy!
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/08 17:33:59 (permalink)
    take out chicken dinner from "the henhouse" grocery store!
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/01/14 20:24:08 (permalink)
    Stroud's is the best in Kansas City..I bring it back on the plane when i travel there! Don't forget to split a plate of chicken livers either!! Yum, Yum.

Their tshirts are great too-STROUDS WE CHOKE OUR OWN CHICKENS!!!

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/02/12 09:50:31 (permalink)
    Was just wondering if anyone had an answer to my initial question regarding what appears to be the demise of sit down chicken dinners in Kansas City.
    I reviewed the previous Road Food Books and they included:
    1. Boots and Coats
    2. Just Coats
    3. Granny's
    4. Ms. Peters
    All of these establishments are out of business. Is Stroud's the only one left? or have others opened up to take the place of those that have gone out of business? (Mary B????)
    MaryB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/02/12 12:10:15 (permalink)
    All: After driving around and visitng "former" chicken house locations, I am sad to report that Strouds seems to be the last bastion of chicken greatness. It is disturbing to see Churches, KFC, etc take over as a standard in a location once known for their chicken. Newsflash: The Brookville Hotel has also been negatively impacted by its relocation to I-70 in Abilene. The whole ritual is very commerical altho the decor is still nice and the coleslaw is still tops! What scares me is that the mashed potatoes are from an instant-horrors!
    fritznewton
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/03/27 18:21:54 (permalink)
    Hey all... found this site on a quirk of search.

I have some experience with local chicken houses. Wander- Chicken Betty is probably whom you were thinking of in relation to many of KC's best chicken huts. She had fiery red hair and a personality to match! She made the rounds to many different restaurants you mentioned- and taught them a thing or two. I worked, for a time, at Granny's and let's just say that business, and business partners, step in the way of good food.

The torch has tried to be passed on to KT Fryers and Opal's Kitchen. KT's is probably the way to go.

Anyone out there have any good info, or stories, on Chicken Betty? I would love to gather some additional information. I believe she last worked at an auto auction and most of the folks there had no clue of what type of cook they had in the midst. My last interaction with her was at the Westport Diner in KC (best biscuits, honey butter, and Sunday jazz jams)

fritz
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/04/28 09:04:56 (permalink)
    We had great pan fied chicken at "Opal's Kitchen" in Kansas City last night. This place is just a few blocks from Crown Center, 2 blocks from Hereford House. IMHO, it is at least as good as Stroud's, and it sure is a lot closer to the action. And it is a true "Roadfood" place.

HUGE portions (3 breasts) with a big bowl of creamy mashed 'taters, one filled with green beans, one of tasty chicken gravy, and sweet corn bread. We will be eating from the leftover boxes for a couple of lunches.

We didn't have room to try the enticing hot cobbler that looked so good passing by to other diners.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/04/28 09:52:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

We had great pan fied chicken at "Opal's Kitchen" in Kansas City last night. This place is just a few blocks from Crown Center, 2 blocks from Hereford House. IMHO, it is at least as good as Stroud's, and it sure is a lot closer to the action. And it is a true "Roadfood" place.

Hillbilly,

It's good to hear that there are alternatives to Strouds in Kansas City. I don't know how long you're going to be in Kansas City, but there are other fried chicken places mentioned on this thread including KT Fryers and LC's Restaurant, if you have a hankering for fried chicken again you may want to try those two places and give us the heads up.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/07/19 14:33:54 (permalink)
    Strouds rules. I would almost move back to K.C. for that great taste, and with the Mashed potatoes and gravy oh and the beans, and those delicious buns. I love the Ocean and mountains but Stroud's is almost worth being near it is that good!

There is a good chicken take out called Gomer's over near Holmes and Troost that has good chicken.
    Kent Daniels
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/08/18 23:50:11 (permalink)
    We have a Stroud's down here in Wichita KS that's in a converted barn -- rustic to be sure! The first time I ate there I could somehow still detect the earthy smell of long-departed livestock. Didn't put me off my meal, just an interesting atmospheric touch. The chicken is always incredible, and I always get my salad with the creamy blue cheese dressing, then pay extra for the blue cheese crumbles.
    The only fried chicken I've had when visiting KC was at a departed chain called Po' Folks, which has gone from several dozen locations back to 6 or 7 in the southeast. They had really great chicken and biscuits, some really tasty side dishes, and sweet tea in the Mason jars -- kitschy to be sure, but I ate there every time I was in town.
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/08/21 13:00:50 (permalink)
    There are sixteen Folks Restaurants in metro Atlanta. They were Po' Folks Restaurants originally. The menu seems little changed - just the name. The above thread caused me to do a Yahoo search, and my guess is that the local franchisee went his separate way. I didn't realize that Po' folks chain still existed, but it does. There was a Po' Folks in the Kansas City area a number of years ago - around 95th and Nall, as I recall. It's been gone for a long time.
    Kent Daniels
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/08/26 21:22:49 (permalink)
    Okay, I made a return visit to Stroud's in Wichita last night as an anniversary dinner. My regretful impressions:
    Arrived around 6:30, but not so crowded that immediate seating was a problem. Was seated in a room with about 8 tables, although we were the only people in the room to begin with. Ordered the 1/2 chicken dinner with the salad - blue cheese creamy dressing with the additional blue cheese crumbles. The wife had gizzards -- don't know why, but she seems to like gnawing on those things. The salad had a nice selection of mixed greens, but the iceburg lettuce that made up about 50% of the mix was yellow or browning on the edges. Mostly I picked out the baby spinach leaves, that funny purple lettuce, and ate the purple onions and croutons.
    When the meal arrived, the chicken was disappointing. The crust on the chicken was thin, unseasoned, and well...tired. It was lacking in the robust character that I remembered. Fortunately, there was a bottle of red pepper sauce on the table, which made it more interesting. The green beens were well-cooked, but were bland. The mashed potatoes and pan gravy were superb, however, and I'm always willing to cut a break to the main course if the potatoes are good. The cinnamon rolls that were brought at the conclusion of the meal were hot, crunchy with sugar and cinnamon, and slightly undercooked, but in a good way.
    What was disturbing was the supporting cast from "Deliverance" that were seating at the next table about the time our meal was served - 3 men and a woman who was quite friendly with all of them. They demanded a wine list, ordered white wine because it goes good with...chicken fried steak. Then when the wine arrived, they ordered another bottle to make sure they would be good and drunk before the food arrived. Then we were treated to loud and sloppy kissing, cussing, discussions of a frank and adult nature, and various body noises. Because the waitress saw a monster tip in her future, she played along with them. Not being the sort to create a situation, we finished our meal, packed up the significant amount of leftovers, and made a hasty departure. I don't know, maybe it was just a bad night for an anniversary dinner, maybe there was a biker convention in the area, maybe society has coarsened. It wasn't a bad dining experience, the food wasn't unappetizing overall, it just wasn't as good as it was when we ate there 3-4 years ago.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Kansas City Fried Chicken 2004/08/26 21:55:47 (permalink)
    Po Folks disappeared from the Metro Louisville scene several years ago also. It had very good Catfish and Chicken at VERY reasonable prices...and their Seafood Gumbo was downright great !

Sorry about your K C dinner Kent, maybe next time it will fall back into the usual pattern of good food and service. and the bikers will be absent.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1