Kansas City MO

Author
acoustic blues
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
2003/12/09 15:19:11 (permalink)

Kansas City MO

Any roadfooders have any opinions on Gates BBQ in KC MO? My wife is due in KC for a business trip next week and and was told not to miss Gates.
Thanks
AB

12 Replies Related Threads

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/09 15:32:40 (permalink)
    Gates is OK, but other KC places are better. I am a long time Arthur Bryant's fan, but last month I went to "Jack's Stack" near the Westin Crown Center and had the best BBQ I've tasted in Kansas City. Gates is like a fast food BBQ.

I also highly recommend the "Hereford House" for great steaks, and "Stroud's" for fried chicken.
    acoustic blues
    Hamburger
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/09 15:39:57 (permalink)
    Thanks Hillbilly, I'll pass this info on to my wife.
    AB
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/09 15:40:39 (permalink)
    Gates was ok for ribs. I thought the Ribs in Memphis were better. Arthur Bryants is good for brisket. I really wanted to check out Sneads but they were closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I strongly recommend the Golden Ox for Steak and second the recommendation for Strouds.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/09 15:42:52 (permalink)
    There are better, including Fiorella's Jack Stack, Oklahoma Joe's and my friend says ,the best, LC's. BB's lawnside is good + has live music. Grand Emorium is a GREAT music bar with food
    http://www.grandemporium.com/home2.html
    Gate's is good fast food but not worthy of a one time visit. Where in the city she is staying
    makes a difference. Other shouldn't misses- Lidia's and Garazzo's for Italian. Stroud's for fried chicken.Savoy Grill for history and steaks..This is a local gang of guys and gals rating the Q.
    http://www.gasbbq.net/
    here's an article on KC's evolving ethnic dining scene
    http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/entertainment/5698622.htm-I
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/09 15:43:29 (permalink)
    Agreed. On a whirlwind tour of the city's BBQ joints earlier this year, Jack's Stack won me over, particularly the lamb ribs. I ate at the Martin City location, just around the corner from Jess & Jim's. Quite a concentration of good eats.

Speaking of KC, someone told me not too long ago that the Golden Ox closed down suddenly.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

Gates is OK, but other KC places are better. I am a long time Arthur Bryant's fan, but last month I went to "Jack's Stack" near the Westin Crown Center and had the best BBQ I've tasted in Kansas City. Gates is like a fast food BBQ.
    acoustic blues
    Hamburger
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/09 15:47:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
    AB
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/09 16:15:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb
    Speaking of KC, someone told me not too long ago that the Golden Ox closed down suddenly.

I was just looking at some articles in the local KC newspaper. It appears that the Golden Ox closed temporarily but was bought by a former partner and may have reopened already. If that't true, then I guess it will save me from bashing the chains again! (Ruth's Chris, Outback, Etc)
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/09 21:37:01 (permalink)
    BBQ wars will never end.

Jack Stack, et al are all GREAT!! (Do NOT bother going to the KC Masterpiece places, but their commercial sauce is good.)

The Gates vs. Bryants comparison is the only thing that really matters.

I ADORE Gates, but the definitive KC place is Arthur Bryants. Still. No apologies.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/10 01:26:56 (permalink)
    http://www.iabbq.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=99
    http://www.iabbq.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=90
    These two features give a good overview of why KC Q blossomed as it did. Bushie, I've eaten KC Q since a toddler. Rosedale was the standard joint my grandfather would ease into after A's games.My mother still calls Bryants "Charlie Bryants" because she remembers when Arthur's brother ran the stand. My friends and I used to eat at either Bryant's or Gates almost every week. When Arthur died in 1982, it never felt the same in Bryant's to me. Arthur used to hover over the goings on, making sure it all ran smoothly. It was a secret society. You knew the burnt ends were free for the taking, how to ask for extras,the 2nd dining room, the inside game. When you were lucky enough to see the door slide wide and the bucket of water thrown on the fire, the aroma was heaven! My friend Dana went to Arthur's funeral where many came to show their love. Of course Dana went during work hours. . Unfortunately He was asked for his feelings by a journalist and his quote showed itself on A-1 the next day. uh-oh! Arthur's daughter took over first, than sold to a bunch of KC restaurateurs. One of his cooks, Richard France, tried several joints with financial backing, but all faltered. Gates was always good, 3 a.m. closing time a feature well liked. LC's is, from what friends tell me, the current king of KC
    Q. It's all good food, some just a little more good...
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/10 08:34:57 (permalink)
    Carnivores the world over rejoice.

quote]Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

I was just looking at some articles in the local KC newspaper. It appears that the Golden Ox closed temporarily but was bought by a former partner and may have reopened already.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/10 08:49:41 (permalink)
    GREAT articles, Bill!! Thanks for the links.

Also thanks for the story. I agree with you, "It's all good food, some just a little more good..." I ate at Arthur Bryant's numerous times in the 70's, and didn't travel there again until after Arthur's death. Despite all the "negative" talk I've heard about the place since, I still think they serve a "plate of heaven".

It's mostly personal preference, though, which is why the debate will never end...
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Kansas City MO 2003/12/29 19:39:10 (permalink)
    I would rather eat a week-old Big Mac rather than BBQ from Bryant's. That was the worst BBQ I have ever had.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1