Hot!Kaszeta's 2013 year in review.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 11:10:20 (permalink)
She was delighted:

And here's one of the better camera feeds on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-XDz8VKapk

In some ways, we outdid ourselves: we had planted cameras all around the house (most of which she seems to randomly avoid), but somehow didn't think to put one on the driveway.  The problem is, we had a bunch of gnomes out at the entrance, and the giant "Gnomeland" banner, and she was nearly dying from laughing well outside of camera range.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 11:26:05 (permalink)
Business travel had me heading down to the DC area several times this summer, and it was a chance to a explore a few more places, and revisit a few favorites.

I have one client that I have to visit every June, and we've come up with a routine of visiting Ray's The Steaks in Arlington every time we visit.  Ray’s The Steaks is an interesting place. The original Ray’s was opened in 2002 by DC chef Michael Landrum, in the small strip mall that I’ve often called the gourmet ghetto (the other tenants include the famous Pho 75). The idea was quite simple: take a relatively bare-bones location (a strip mall restaurant), and sell a bunch of really good steaks and other high-end meat cuts and a good wine list, and doing so with relatively simple service approach, focusing on the meat. The result was Ray’s The Steaks, which consistently serves me up some good steaks with a particularly good quality-to-price ratio.  Here's my 40 Day Dry-Aged Delmonico Steak:

(Full review here)

Another client nearby used to be located next to one of my favorite Peruvian chicken joints, El Pollo Rico (which I reviewed in 2012), but they moved several blocks west to Ballston, and that gave me a reason to check out another Peruvian chicken place, Super Pollo.  Stepping into Super Pollo, you can immediately tell that it’s a more modern joint then El Pollo Rico. El Pollo is sparsely decorated. Super Pollo is decorated like a modern fast food joint. But the lines are about the same, with a noon visit having a ~15 minute wait to get your chicken, and similar effort in actually finding an open table.  But the other thing that really stands out about Super Pollo is the variety.

El Pollo Rico has a menu I can list on one finger (basically, chicken and a choice of three sides). Super Pollo has, in addition to chicken, a wide number of other Peruvian dishes, as well as almost 20 sides, ranging from the simple rice and fries, up to the semi-fancy (cilantro rice, black beans), to the extravagant (fried plantains).  Here is an order of half a chicken (dark meat), with cilantro rice and fried plantains.  Simply delicious:

(full review here)

Arlington also held a surprise for me.  Every other year, we spend the weekend after Labor Day at Rehoboth Beach, DE (I lived in DE as a kid, and still love the beaches there).  There used to be a coffee place there that I really like, Oby Lee Coffee, but a few years ago they closed and got replaced by a place I don't particularly care for (The Point, which I got banned from, long story....)  I thought they were gone forever, but then taking a shortcut through Arlington I stumbled across... Oby Lee Coffee.  They didn't close, they just moved (according to the owner, "to someplace where we could make money all 12 months of the year").  I went for an iced coffee and a banana, strawberry, and Nutella crepe.

For starters, the iced coffee was as good and refreshing as I remember from Delaware. Oby Lee selects and roasts their own coffees, and then makes iced coffee using cold brewing (aka “Cold Process” or “Toddy”). The result is a particularly bold but smooth cup of coffee, and a great way to start my morning:

And my crepe?  It was also a rather impressive breakfast: a good, crispy crepe, served up with an entire banana, a generous portion of strawberries, and a good solid schmear of Nutella. Topped with some decent whipped cream, and this was a very tasty and well-presented breakfast:

(full review here)

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 12:08:58 (permalink)
Banned from a coffee joint?  Long story or not, if you've the time to write it we've the time to read it.  The fact that it doesn't involve Wanderingjew is alone enough to make it interesting.

I've yet to try Peruvian chicken and everything I've read and heard tells me I'm missing out.  I should definitely correct this oversight in 2014!
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 17:21:23 (permalink)
I shouuld do a whole thread on the places that have banned me. Some are interesting stories.
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2455
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 18:50:34 (permalink)
Great report.when are you going to DM Portland,Oregon or Seattle,,,,,,,,,North and South in Seattle..........pnwc
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 19:20:39 (permalink)
Seattle did make the short list for the DM
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 20:08:10 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken Banned from a coffee joint?  Long story or not, if you've the time to write it we've the time to read it.  

What the heck, here's the rundown, for those curious.  In chronological order:

1. Big Tuna Sushi, Palmdale, CA. Had a bad service experience there where I ended up in the middle of a shouting argument between the waitstaff and the sushi chefs revolving around whether me, a single diner, could have an entire table to myself.  The table waitstaff wanted me to be seated at the sushi bar, but to sit at the sushi bar required you to buy the all-you-could-eat sushi special, which I didn't want.  Ended up leaving and going elsewhere, and wrote up a bad review on Google.  Owner contacted me demanding I remove the review. When I didn't, he banned me.

2. Farmers Diner, Quechee, VT (now defunct).  Again, had a bad service experience.  Two issues this time: my waitress told me flat out there weren't any breakfast specials, and 30 seconds later greeted another table by telling them the breakfast specials, including a special that I would have ordered.   I asked if I could change my order, and she told me I couldn't.  Then, I asked if the "10% discount for locals" applied (seeing that I lived in Lebanon, NH, which is actually an adjacent town), and discovered that they had an odd definition of "local" and was told it was "presumptuous" of me to even ask.  Again, wrote up a Google review.  Angry manager took issue with my review, and told me that if I didn't take it down, I wasn't welcome there anymore, and never to come back.

3. Bagel Basement, Lebanon, NH (also defunct).  After waiting a long time (around 10 minutes) for them to even take my order, I gave up, and decided to leave. I returned my *unopened* Odwalla fruit smoothie to the refrigerator case and started to leave, at which point they told me I couldn't leave without paying for the smoothie.  They ended up threatening to call the police about it.  I called their bluff on it, and they backed down on calling the police, but told me specifically that I was banned from ever coming back.

4.The  Point Coffee, Rehoboth Beach, DE.  I ordered a coffee drink ("espresso macchiato with two shots").   Due to some confusion, since they had a Starbucks-like menu that included both an "Espresso Macchiato" and a "Caramel Machiato", they both made up the wrong drink, and charged me for the wrong drink.  I politely asked them to remake it, and if they could correct my bill.  For some reason, the previously nice and friendly clerk snapped and screamed at me that if "You really wanted an Espresso Macchiato, you should have F-ing ordered an Espresso Macchiato."   I countered that I had ordered correctly (and even had two non-related customers to me chime in that I had), and the guy agreed to remake my drink and refund the difference, and as he handed my drink , he told me that I needed to leave the premises immediately, and if I ever set foot on the property again, they'd call the police.

5. Pizzeria Barbarella, Vancouver, BC. I discovered using Google Image Search that about 75% of the images on their website, facebook page, and even press releases they sent to local Vancouver media were actually my photos that they had stolen from my Flickr page.  The offending images were weren't even pics of his pizzas (they couldn't be, he hadn't opened yet), they were actually pictures of mine from Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ (the pictures from this review, actually).  I asked for him to take down the photos. He responded that he was going to use the image however he wanted and there was nothing I could do about it, but his web provider was in the US, so I filed DMCA takedown notices with his ISP.  He responded to those telling me I was never,ever welcome at his restaurants, and strongly suggested that if I did so, I'd face violence. The interesting thing is that all this happened before Pizzeria Barbarella opened its doors. And I've never been there, and never will.  Fun getting a lifetime ban from a place that wasn't even open yet.  I will admit to being cheeky, and when he did open, I sent him a letter asking "So my lifetime ban begins now?"

So, the rundown is basically 2 places that took issue with bad reviews by banning the reviewer, 2 places that similarly decided that the best way to resolve a customer issue was by banning the customer, and a thieving bastard who got upset he was caught stealing my photos.

For the record, places 2 and 3 are now out of business, primarily because they treated most of their other customers like crap, too (that's not too uncommon here, there's a real "we know you don't have many other places to eat out" attitude at a lot of local joints). But maybe I shouldn't count them anymore.

(I'm actually not a high-maintenance customer)
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 22:21:59 (permalink)
kaszeta

I shouuld do a whole thread on the places that have banned me. Some are interesting stories.

Next time you're in SoCal, I can think of a few places I'd like to take you. And I can also think of a few places to have some fun!
post edited by EdSails - 2013/12/26 22:42:40
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7900
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/26 22:35:57 (permalink)
I remember my traumatic experience at the horrific J's Oyster in Portland ME over 5 years ago, Kaszeta, compared to mine, as bad as it was (at least I wasn't banned) your experiences take the cake....
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/27 00:01:20 (permalink)
 The next major stop was a 3-week European trip to the UK and Belgium, with a side-trip to Iceland.
The UK I'll handle in highlights, going from most posh to least posh.

On the high end was this most wonderful Orecchiette from Boca Di Lupo in London, one of the finest pasta meals I had all year:

Next up was the phenomenal 4-course dessert tasting menu at William Curley Patisserie and Chocolatier, with the highlight probably being this Gianduja Chocolate Tarte with Pistachio Ice Cream:

Next was this Sri Lankan Chicken Kothtu Roti (like a noodle stir fry, but the "noodles" are strips of Roti flat bread) from The Sekara:

Bone Daddies is a fairly new Ramen place in Soho, that has the funkiest Japanese Rockabilly Biker Club (look it up!) theme.  Despite that, they've got some most wonderful ramen noodles, including a tea smoked egg that was sublime:

Similarly, Shoryu, also in Soho, did almost as good a job with their ramen:

While in London, you've got to do Indian, and while it didn't photograph well, this Murg Jalfrezi from Mela was quite the ticket:

However, this pho from Song Que rounded out the Asian food quite nicely:

Although I can't forget the great platter of food we had at Zeret Kitchen in Camberwell:

Or the Ethiopian coffee service after dinner:

I also did a lot of London street food, including this nice Pad Thai from Newdlez Pad Thai:

Or the street market stall next to Newdlez, Veg as you Go, which had some wonderful falafel:

Or walking through the park and indulging in the fairly unique British summertime treat, the 99 Flake:

Bonus points goes to The Bridge Coffee House, which had some reasonably good Turkish coffee, but the most outlandish dining room in which to enjoy it:

Otherwise, it was mostly British food, ranging from Fish and Chips at Fisher's:

To Bangers and Mash at The Gipsy Moth:

Or getting the Elvis burger with banana, bacon, and peanut butter at Cask Pub and Kitchen:

Or one of the oddest finds of the trip:  Throughout London are several "Cab Shelters" for black cab drivers to relax and take a break:

Some of the, like the St George's Square Cab Shelter not only make food, but sell it to the public, with items like this Bacon Roll:

( http://offbeateats.org/category/uk/london/ if you want to read the reviews, too many to individually link)
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/27 00:02:50 (permalink)
EdSails
Next time you're in SoCal, I can think of a few places I'd like to take you. And I can also think of a few places to have some fun!

It might be worth noting that the next several days I will be in Murietta, CA and Temecula, CA...
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/27 00:15:30 (permalink)
kaszeta

EdSails

It might be worth noting that the next several days I will be in Murietta, CA and Temecula, CA...

Make sure you go to Wien Family winery in Temecula. I've sent you contact info on a PM.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/27 09:44:30 (permalink)
The combination of photography and descriptions is absolutely wonderful.  This is such a pleasure to view. 

That is so bizarre that you have been banned from all of these places.  Now, there are some other people in these forums (not naming names) that if you told me they were not allowed back in some restaurants, I'd go "Sure, no surprise there".  But, you certainly don't come across that way.  Bad luck?  Wrong place at the wrong time?
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/27 14:53:44 (permalink)

Wow!   Great year-end review!   Very nice. 

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7900
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/27 15:14:57 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Now, there are some other people in these forums (not naming names) that if you told me they were not allowed back in some restaurants, I'd go "Sure, no surprise there".    

Hey I felt that! At least restaurants don't hurry up and close shop in anticipation of my arrival.

ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1021
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/27 15:20:24 (permalink)
Are Caucasian drivers allowed at the "cab shelters"?
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/28 16:42:25 (permalink)
ChrisOC

Most "Black Cab" drivers are actually white.  :)
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/28 16:46:16 (permalink)
buffetbuster

The combination of photography and descriptions is absolutely wonderful.  This is such a pleasure to view. 

That is so bizarre that you have been banned from all of these places.  Now, there are some other people in these forums (not naming names) that if you told me they were not allowed back in some restaurants, I'd go "Sure, no surprise there".  But, you certainly don't come across that way.  Bad luck?  Wrong place at the wrong time?

I think it's mostly bad luck.  I'm not that that bad a guy to get along with, and I'm not that picky as a customer.

That said, I know another local place is really unhappy with me for a review I did (Gusanoz Mexican in Lebanon, NH, which was on Restaurant Impossible.  You can read my non-flattering review here), which gets pretty high search engine ranking (on most, higher than Gusanoz's own web site).  While I have issues with Gusanoz, and their owner did give me a lengthy email disagreeing with it, he still said I'm welcome any time and hope they do better.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/28 18:16:29 (permalink)
Great review...wow...that coffee room is something else. Enjoying this a lot!!

mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/28 18:59:20 (permalink)
Oh, dear, about Gusanoz. One problem after another, it seems. I thought your review was actually diplomatic. I agree that the owners seem well-intentioned and, perhaps, got over their heads with extensions and sub-par ingredients. I can see where if they needed more revenue, both could easily happen. HOWEVER, as you suggested, shoddy service and indifferent staff could really knock them out. I have stated before that my standards are relatively low (I will eat a good deal of mediocre food as long as it's well-prepared and service is good) but poor service is a deal breaker for me. I simply will not go where I feel ill-treated, no matter how good the food. Being too few cannot be blamed on the staff, being undertrained is not their fault but civility costs nothing and in really plain terms, Get Off The D***  phone already! I didn't even know staff members do that.  Thank heavens, I have never been subjected to that or the stuff would really have hit the fan. And I wouldn't be back.

kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/29 00:50:37 (permalink)
The next country up was Belgium.  We decided to take the Eurostar train through the Chunnel, which worked really well: 4 hours after waking up in London, we were in Brussels.

And the stereotype is true, since while in Brussels we had an awful lot of these.  I adore a good Belgian waffle:

(Yes, I adore a proper Belgian Gaufre de Liege)

Similarly, like my other experiences in Benelux countries, the Belgians love their frites, from places like Maison Antoine:

Nothing like a good cone of frites and a Belgian blonde ale to wash it down, at least according to Bruder Valkis:

(full review here)

Speaking of beer and bar snacks, the Belgians have a lot of great bar snacks.  On of my favorite watering holes was A la Mort Subite ("Sudden Death):

The classic sides to go with your beer are cheese, simple sandwiches like a croque monsieur,

omelets (served up with possibly the largest slices of bread on the planet):

and the infamous "kip kap" (pickled pigs cheeks, which are a perfect counterpoint to Belgian beer):

(full review here)

Another common bar and cafe food in Belgian is a dish known by a number of names, including "cannibal" and "filet americain".  But we know it as "steak tartare".  And with the quality of Belgian beef, it's a great dish.  Here are two examples, from Carpe Diem and Kwint, respectively:

Similarly, Carpe Diem had a great Flemish Stew (Carbonnade a la Flamande):

(review of Kwint here, and Carpe Diem here)

Similarly, another classic Belgian dish is mussels, and we didn't find any finer than those from La Maree:

(Full review here)

You can see a nice full set of Belgian reviews at http://offbeateats.org/category/be/

mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/29 01:41:12 (permalink)
Great trip report, I'm really enjoying it. Pickled pigs' cheeks, tho,... I must say, there's nothing like travel to acquaint you with animal parts you had never considered. Part of me says "Why not?", another part says "Hmm, tell me more", and another part says "I'm not so sure.... Really, how was it? I trust the 'cheeks' come from the north end of the animal. It was in a German tourist book that I came across beef udder as a meat source. I asked several German friends and they all claimed never to have had it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/30 00:15:38 (permalink)
ChrisOC

I think "Black Cab" refers to the color of the vehicle, not the driver. Most Cabs in England are painted black.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/30 08:27:26 (permalink)
kaszeta

And the stereotype is true, since while in Brussels we had an awful lot of these. I adore a good Belgian waffle:
Thank you for not calling it a "Belgium waffle".

mlm

I must say, there's nothing like travel to acquaint you with animal parts you had never considered.
And when actual travel isn't possible there's Roadfood to take up the slack!
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/30 14:35:43 (permalink)
Foodbme
I think "Black Cab" refers to the color of the vehicle, not the driver. Most Cabs in England are painted black.

Yeah, "Black Cab" is shorthand for a hackney cab (cab for call/hire), as opposed to a Mini-cab or Livery-cab (where you call and make reservations).  Like a "Yellow Cab" in New York, although a "Black Cab" driving has very demanding licensing requirements (like having "The Knowledge", basically knowing every street in London and how to get from point A to B without maps)
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1733
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/30 14:37:43 (permalink)
mlm

Great trip report, I'm really enjoying it. Pickled pigs' cheeks, tho,... I must say, there's nothing like travel to acquaint you with animal parts you had never considered. Part of me says "Why not?", another part says "Hmm, tell me more", and another part says "I'm not so sure.... Really, how was it? I trust the 'cheeks' come from the north end of the animal. It was in a German tourist book that I came across beef udder as a meat source. I asked several German friends and they all claimed never to have had it.

For years I have been extolling the virtues of Hog Jowls.  Guess this takes it one step further!  Does it taste "bacony" at all?  Your other review says salty and you won't need any Spam soon.but cold Spam is not exactly something that gets my tastebuds salivating...even when served with that fine Belgian Beer.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/30 14:39:18 (permalink)
mlm
Great trip report, I'm really enjoying it. Pickled pigs' cheeks, tho,... I must say, there's nothing like travel to acquaint you with animal parts you had never considered. Part of me says "Why not?", another part says "Hmm, tell me more", and another part says "I'm not so sure.... Really, how was it?

I liked it, but I've also had a lot of pig's cheeks and ears over the years.   Tasty.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/30 16:20:19 (permalink)
2013 also had quite a few trips to NYC for me.  Most were repeat visits to old favorites like Katz's deli, or my indulgence for a simple dirty water dog:

But one place that was new to me that was worth discussing was Cafe Sabarsky.  Located across the street from the Met, Cafe Sabarsky does their best to imitate a classic Viennese cafe, including classic Viennese coffee:

Some excellent sausages:

And some great desserts:

(Full review here)
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7020
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/30 17:33:44 (permalink)
You really made me homesick for Belgium!  The first 4 years I lived in France I was 2 km. from the Belgian border and I also lived in Brussels.  Love the Belgians and their cuisine.  What I wouldn't give to have a steaming bowl of moulesfrites and a Trappist ale! 
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kaszeta's 2013 year in review. 2013/12/31 00:31:33 (permalink)
The other thing that 2013 was notable for was several restaurant openings in our area, which is usually pretty static, especially for ethnic food.  But not only did several places open, but two of them were outstanding: Candela Tapas Lounge in Hanover, NH, and Worthy Kitchen in Woodstock, VT.

Candela opened up in a converted coffee shop, and they added a completely new ethnicity to the local dining scene: Spanish tapas.  And they hit the ground running, with several notable dishes like this great charcuterie plate:

or this great tuna tartare:

or these wonderful albondigas:

But these didn't steal the show.  The highlight was dessert, with some of the best churros I've had outside of Valencia, Spain, served up crisp and flaky with a wonderful housemade chocolate sauce, all for only $6:

(full review here)

The other outstanding addition was Worthy Kitchen, the sister restaurant to Worthy Burger in South Royalton, VT (which I talked about last year).  Worthy Kitchen is the same basic concept of a great microbeer tap list, but instead of the (great) burgers of Worthy Burgers, they have a broader kitchen and a woodfired stove.  Which puts out such amazing items as the best fried chicken I had in 2013 (which was, shockingly, boneless, and the picture doesn't do justice to it):

Or this great duck confit sandwich:

But that wasn't the true greatness.  That came when they started doing brunch, which resulted in two remarkable accomplishments.  The first was the Bloody Mary, with a nice house-made vegetable blend, particularly strong in horseradish, which delighted me (to me, a proper Bloody Mary is almost a more liquid and alcoholic version of a good shrimp cocktail sauce). It had all the notes: a nice tomato base, some fiery heat from peppers, and more than a little bit of bite from the horseradish. Add in a good helping of their house-pickled vegetables as garnish, and this was the best Bloody Mary I’ve had in a long time:

And that was followed by the single best breakfast item of 2013, the Worthy Hash.  A beef hash with poached eggs and hollandaise was very good as well. First, it was a good hash, made of some rich and savory shredded beef that was almost pot-roasty in goodness, mixed up with some potatoes and fried up to a nice crisp. Add on some perfectly poached eggs, and that took it up another notch. Then putting a perfectly-done Hollandaise with just the amount of creaminess and tanginess I like, and the result was splendid:

(Full reviews here (dinner) and here (brunch))
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1