The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin

GWCS555

• Total Posts: 35
Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 3:53 AM (permalink)
Was wondering if any roadfooders (who lived in Japan) could tell me if they prefer the Japanese Tonkatsu (ton=pork, katsu is short for cutlet or "katsuretsu") versus the mid-west's pork tenderloin that are featured in sandwiches.

For the unitiated the Japanese version is a half-inch thick slice of pork (tenderloin or filet at the expensive restaurants) salted and peppered. It is first floured, put in egg wash and then breaded in Japanese panko or breadcrumbs. Now some of you may wonder "Japanese bread crumbs?". Well I think it's a better product, lighter, fluffier and made specifically for this purpose. This technique of breading can also be used on chicken and shrimp (not so well on beef). Please try this technique the next time you fry something and tell me what you think.

The cutlet can also be used in a Katsudon (pronounced dohn which means a bowl or a bowl of rice). Sliced cutlets are placed in a bowl of hot rice and immediately topped with a melange (?) of sauteed sliced onions that are then braised (until soft) with chicken stock, soy sauce and sugar plus a beaten egg poured into the pan at the last minute. It's a pretty substantial dish.

I like cutlet sandwiches, usually with something the Japanese call "Bulldog Brand Sauce". It taste something like Worchestshire sauce and ketchup but saltier and thicker.

I've never tried the mid-west's pork tenderloin. For those of you who have tried both, I would like your opinion please.

GWCS555

• Total Posts: 35
    RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 4:03 AM (permalink)
    By the way, it is best to flour all your servings of meat first and then dip them through the egg wash and bread crumbs one at a time. This may be a little messy especially on the finger tips.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
      RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 8:48 AM (permalink)
      Twelve years w/ Itochu Intl makes me familiar w/ your question. The Japanese version, done properly, is much better. Tonkatsu is such a common dish in Japan it is almost like a hamburger here. Can be awesome, can be crap and greasy. I usually went for potstickers and ramen for lunch in Japan. Fried pork I could get in the states

By the way we use panko to bread fish and make meat loaf. Always use only one hand to do the dipping and breading, reduces the mess.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
        RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 9:07 AM (permalink)

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
          RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 10:07 AM (permalink)
          Thanks ADJ. just took the guess work out of that one. Chow Jim

V960

RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 11:34 AM (permalink)
            Hate to break this one to you but Taste Yummy is wrong. It is almost always from a restaurant for lunch. Picture is correct however.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
              RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 12:09 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by V960

Hate to break this one to you but Taste Yummy is wrong. It is almost always from a restaurant for lunch. Picture is correct however.

O.K.

Better now?

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 12:56 PM (permalink)
                We do a great tonkatsu sandwich with sweet potato fries. I make a pickled shredded cabbage and onion cole slaw that I put on the bun with the pork, tonkatsu sauce, tomato and a little mayo. I ran it as a lunch special on occasion and it sold out every time.Tonkatsu sauce is available in bottles, but it's so easy to make I keep it on hand in the refrigerator. It lasts a long time. It's good with scrambled eggs and hash browns.

V960

RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 4:42 PM (permalink)
                  You got it!!!!!!

A very popular bento box front end.

plb

RE: Katsu versus Pork Tenderloin Sun, 02/12/06 10:31 PM (permalink)
                    They are completely different things; it's hard to say if one is better than the other. Breaded Pork Tenderloins are blue-collar, mid-western food while Katau is exotically foreign, so it wins in the P.C. race.

Katsu is more of a breaded, boneless pork chop served with a dipping sauce. The meat in BPTs is usually pounded so thin not much of the pork flavor comes through.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com