Kee Wah Yen in Manhattan

Author
lautrec
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/02/28 15:50:39 (permalink)

Kee Wah Yen in Manhattan

Kee Wah Yen, the Chinese restaurant that was on W. 56th St. in Manhattan for over 30 years, has been closed now for 3 years, and I still miss it every day. I was a steady customer since it opened, the food was the best, and it was a very pretty restaurant. I believe the ever escalating rent was the reason for the close of this great restaurant, but if there are any other Kee Wah Yen fans out there, tell me if you know anything else about the closure. I'd love to share memories of Kee Wah Yen!

4 Replies Related Threads

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    RE: Kee Wah Yen in Manhattan 2005/02/28 18:40:30 (permalink)
    I used to work at 1290 6th ave till about 1982 and I think I remember that place. Did they server an appetizer that you cooked yourself on a very hot rock? Gosh that name really rings a bell. Those were the days when I had an expense account. I remember Wo Lae Oak, Dish of Salt, and I liked Rosie O'Grady's before it moved and became a tourist trap.

How about how the prices went up at many places during Christmas holiday. Some places would accept a local business card and revert the prices.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    RE: Kee Wah Yen in Manhattan 2005/03/01 07:10:18 (permalink)
    No, I'm mistaken. That place was called the Rock Garden. What threw me off was your location of 56th Street. I remember that place as being oppisite MOMA so that would be 53rd St. Were they once at that location? I recall their sign saying 'Kee Wah Yen, Cuisines of China'. I vaguely remember a sizzling rice soup and a beef dish I was fond of. It's too long ago to remember much else, sorry.
    Babypeez
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Kee Wah Yen in Manhattan 2005/06/30 13:37:23 (permalink)
    I've gone to Kee Wah Yen every time I've been in NYC in the last 25 or 30 years and I'm so sorry to hear they closed. We'll be in New York this weekend and I was really looking forward to their Gimlo Wonton. The food was always superb and the service was unsurpassed.
    karengs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Kee Wah Yen in Manhattan 2005/11/12 11:39:15 (permalink)
    I am SOOOO disappointed that Kee Wah Yen has closed! In 1987 we moved to NY and my husband's boss was took us there for dinner. It has been my favorite restaurant ever since. We moved away from NY in 1994 but always returned to Kee Wah Yen when we came back to visit. We are in NY this weekend and the first thing on my list was to eat there. I couldn't believe it when I couldn't find a listing in the phone book.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1